The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23955 replies to this topic

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 8:15 AM

There's a moment before he answers the question, where he smooths/pulls on his hair a bit, which made me think that he was unconsciously yanking off 'Stephen' so he could speak as Stephen.

Olbermann covered Stephen's testimony on Countdown last night, and played the whole of his closing remarks, commenting, "He's quoting Jesus there, if you don't recognize it, Congressman." Snerk.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 8:41 AM

I was talking to my 82-year-old Catholic mother about Stephen's closing remarks last night and commenting how I thought they represented the best in the Catholic tradition and she said, "Yes, that's a nice boy. He comes from a large family, doesn't he? I'm sure that has something to do with it." That the last time I'll assume she hasn't been paying attention . . .

Edited by shamskygirl, Sep 25, 2010 @ 8:42 AM.

grace84

grace84

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 10:25 AM

I just watched his opening statement. I have had to watch many many congressional hearings and that is the greatest opening statement I have ever heard. He got all the important facts in there in a humorous way. Just because it was funny, doesn't mean it wasn't totally correct.

Exactly. I've seen people complaining about him appearing in character, as if he was making light of the issue and he could have made more impact if he'd been totally serious. I think they underestimate the power of satire.

His last statement was wonderful. I'm not a religious person but to hear someone quote the Bible in support of the disenfranchised was really nice because I'm so used to hearing people in my own political system use religion as a weapon to beat other people down.

CS dAClub

CS dAClub

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 1:26 PM

Stephen will be a guest on Letterman on October 7th.

Roseha

Roseha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 11:05 PM

Just because it was funny, doesn't mean it wasn't totally correct.

Absolutely --, and to then go seamlessly into that final statement, quoting the Bible, about the disenfranchised...I'm sure the thicker-headed viewers took awhile to figure it all out but I have a feeling they have by now. Thank you Stephen, for your words and for by the way helping draw attention to the plight of these poor people.

Edited by Roseha, Sep 25, 2010 @ 11:07 PM.

Nysha

Nysha

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 12:03 PM

Apparently members of the Congressional hearing are not 'It Getters'. Colbert was an embarrassment

The House's No. 2 Democratic leader said Sunday that comedian Stephen Colbert's testimony last week on immigration was "inappropriate" and "an embarrassment."

My bet is they didn't listen to a word he said or at least not his closing statement. As for not knowing anything about immigration, when has that stopped a celebrity from testifying at a Congressional hearing?

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 4:45 PM

Ugh.

Remind me: Has Stephen made fun of John Conyers or Steny Hoyer on his show? Perhaps they're holding a grudge. Besides not having a sense of humor or knowing how to read betw the lines.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 4:56 PM

Remind me: Has Stephen made fun of John Conyers or Steny Hoyer on his show?

I remember Stephen saying something vaguely unflattering about Steny Hoyer once. It wasn't on his show - I think it was when he was interviewed by some guy from Harvard. I don't remember what it was, I only remember it at all because "Steny" is such a weird name, and I had no idea who that was.

That interview is on youtube if anyone wants to check. I can't guarantee that I was right and he actually mentioned "Steny" there, though.

berhbabybern

berhbabybern

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 5:11 PM

John Conyers and Steny Hoyer both lambasted in one WORD!

ZeroForce

ZeroForce

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 5:53 PM

Steny Hoyer is a tool, anyway. No surprise he's not an it-getter. On the other hand, Pelosi was - if not complimentary - generally positive on him testifying.

KimB77

KimB77

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 8:26 PM

This all reminds me of the WHCD reaction - the beltway types and MSM muckety-mucks panned it and every one else loved it.

I have to say though, these asshat reactions from the Dems are not doing them any favors. This is the base you need to be courting; these are the people you need to vote in this election. And trashing Stephen, not to mention showing your disdain and ignorance about what he was trying to do and trying to tell you, really isn't the way to get what you want.

Oh, and Chuck Todd? Still a major tool.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 8:37 AM

What is wrong with people? Stephen wasn't speaking in Latin - I think it was very obvious what he was doing. Why did so many not get it.

Keith Olbermann did a really great story on Stephen's testimony and called him a "comedic genius".

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:36 AM

This all reminds me of the WHCD reaction - the beltway types and MSM muckety-mucks panned it and every one else loved it.

Precisely my reaction as well: I've seen this somewhere before, you know? Ah, nice to know nothing can ever change in DC.

eta: Sullivan's blog has been talking about Stephen's testimony since Friday. Andrew posted some reader responses, praising SC's 'good catholicness'. This bit struck me:

Colbert has been able to mock the Congressional insanity in its own House. He has proposed an insane solution to the problem (to stop eating fruits and vegetables) as well as a common sense solution (we could offer more visas to the immigrants) to the problem. He has been able to ask them directly: "Why isn´t the government doing anything?" He has been able to point out (almost beg) what they should be doing (both sides will work together on this issue in the best interest of America, as you always do.), and yet embarrassingly enough, his comment was greeted with laughter.

Edited by attica finch, Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:15 AM.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:58 AM

Shades of the WHCD indeed. I don't know how I could be shocked by Congressional humorlessness after Stephen first interview with Barney Frank, but...I was.

Too bad (but so predictable) that Steny Hoyer's negative comments have gotten so much more press than Nancy Pelosi's complimentary ones. She thought it was perfectly "appropriate" and very positive for drawing greater attention to the problem (and hearing) than it ever would have received otherwise.

I felt terrible, btw, when Conyers said, "I'm not asking you not to testify. I'm asking you to leave." Stephen (I think that was real Stephen) looked so hurt. A black Democrat, at a hearing on migrant problems, wanted to kick out the person who was there using satire to strongly advocate for the downtrodden.

Oh, irony. Conyers was such an embarrassment.

On a brighter note, can't wait to see what Stephen does with the experience tonight.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

Maybe the committee was just angry because they didn't WANT people to watch the hearings.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:31 AM

The Dela-Word. Going cable access low tech since 2010. I liked that Stephen was laughing at the slowness of the board.

"It's not the policy, it's not the policy". That's all McCain can say after he and his party have been smacked down for their homophobia. Pathetic.

And I had to skip the interview with Ken Burns' follow up to his miniseries, Baseball. Watching the entire series before, which concentrated mostly on the Boston Red Sox and the teams currently and originally from New York, as well as his nauseatingly syrupy presentation, nearly killed my interest in the sport. That and Burns can be rather on the douchey side.

ZeroForce

ZeroForce

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 1:35 AM

I liked that Stephen was laughing at the slowness of the board.

I found it amusing that what we saw was apparently the take with the least breaking by Stephen. He couldn't keep a poker face for one take? Heh.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 7:59 AM

"It's not the policy, it's not the policy". That's all McCain can say

And it's not just what he said, but the tone he stole from a roomful of tantruming toddlers that ratcheted up my loathe-o-meter. Gah.

Ken Burns looks entirely too elfin to be 57 years old. I wonder if he exfoliates.

I would totally watch the Delawert Report.

Edited by attica finch, Sep 28, 2010 @ 8:00 AM.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 8:30 AM

Watching the entire series before, which concentrated mostly on the Boston Red Sox and the teams currently and originally from New York

But aren't the NY Teams the most important part of Baseball :-)

Heh, in DC they are still talking about Stephen's appearance. Yesh. We really are a stupid town. I think Stephen summed it up best when he said that he doesn't want Gov to do everything but can't they do anything?

Ms Interpreted

Ms Interpreted

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:49 AM

I'm so effing sick of the reaction to Stephen's testimony, I don't even know where to turn any longer. Stephen did a great job and I think he did it for all the right reasons, but the whole BS response has really turned me off. I can only wonder why Congress should expect *anyone* to testify out of the goodness of his/her heart any longer, now that they have this shining example of how witnesses can expect to be treated. This pretty much guarantees that the only people to show up in government are the ones who are pushing some sort of self-interested agenda -- not like that's new, but it's depressing and disgusting to have such a stark reminder of the fact.

I have nothing but love for that WØRD, though. That was seriously awesome -- Bullet had some great lines ("The Raspberry Berets" was brilliant, and the one about the pleated classic fit Dockers was a hoot), and the whole thing was hilariously biting and sharp. I actually choked with laughter when Stephen referred to "Crimean War veteran John McCain". I really thought it was the best written WØRD we've had in a while, and that's saying something.

Edited by Ms Interpreted, Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:49 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:08 PM

Ken Burns looks entirely too elfin to be 57 years old.

He looks like he's being played by Dave Foley in a wig.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 1:24 PM

The DelaWord was awesome. And if there is not already a house remix of McCain's policy not being, then I am making one. I will probably make one regardless, actually.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 5:19 PM

Next week's guests:
10/4/10 Eugene Robinson - Author, “Disintegration: The Splintering of Black America”
10/5/10 Leon Botstein - Discussing Science Illiteracy
10/6/10 Mavis Staples & Jeff Tweedy - Album “You Are Not Alone”
10/7/10 Davis Guggenheim - Director, “Waiting for Superman”

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 12:58 AM

Paul Begala sure doesn't sound upbeat about the Democrats chances in November, annoyingly laughing and all.

And dressing up in costume for Stephen's rally sounds like a really good idea. If you really want scary, dress up as a Fox News personality.

everstar

everstar

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 2:49 AM

And dressing up in costume for Stephen's rally sounds like a really good idea. If you really want scary, dress up as a Fox News personality.

He did say to dress up as whatever he's taught you to fear the most!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 11:11 AM

There's going to be a lot of bear costumes. I hope it's not hot or rainy.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 12:05 PM

Wow -- Stephen is scheduled to be a guest on "The View" on Oct. 19. The other guest is Arianna Huffington.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 1:49 PM

I hope it's not hot or rainy.

Knowing DC it will be both. Yeah, if anyone is coming from out of town, be warned that DC weather can be a bit wacky.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2010 @ 12:21 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed Stephen's smack around of that insufferable asshole, Antonin Scalia, for the way he interprets the constitution to fit his bigoted, narrow view world. Mind you, it would not suprise me if that shaved walrus agrees with most of what Stephen is saying about him.

That's sad about the koala population. And yet that was so, so funny that Stephen suggested someone was fucking koalas. Especially the guy photoshopped in the picture to make him look like he wanted the koala in a naughty way. And it was hilarious that Stephen tried to point out that it was not funny, yet couldn't contain himself from laughing.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

Man, Stephen is in trouble now. Congress has broken up with him.

“My experience with that show is like herpes. It never goes away, and it itches and sometimes flares up,” said a former aide to Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, after his boss appeared on the show in 2006. The conservative Georgia Republican, co-sponsor of a bill requiring that the Ten Commandments be displayed in Congress, was skewered by Colbert in a segment of “Better Know a District” for appearing to be able to name only three of the commandments.

Yes, because its Stephen's fault that he cosponsored a bill requiring the Ten Commandements without actually knowing more than 3. Its not Westmoreland's fault that he is an idiot.

But way to go Rep Pascrall

Pascrell has the bluntest message for his Colbert-hating colleagues: “Aw, give me a break, would you please? We’ve got serious problems — come on, look! We took ourselves so seriously, people’s expectations rose, and we couldn’t meet them. ‘Get a life,’ I tell those people.”