The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23950 replies to this topic

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 1:46 PM

Tonight's TBA has been filled in with Kevin Baker, novelist & author of a new article in Harper's Magazine called "Barack Hoover Obama." Not available online, but you can read a couple excerpts here.

leew261

leew261

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 8:13 PM

I thought that the Orly Taitz segment was perhaps the weakest in the history of the show. I can't find any humor in a crazy person spouting an idea that was nutty last year and is played out and nutty this year.

Hooper

Hooper

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

I sort of put the Orly Taitz segment into the category of "it seemed like a good idea at the time". I had read the spoilers that she was being interviewed before the Tues show aired, and was looking forward to the interview. I mean, what could be better than "Stephen" interviewing a crazy person? And I did find parts of it funny, in pretty much the same way I find segments on Sarah Palin funny. Crazy people tend to say things that sound pretty funny to sane people. But, just as with the Sarah Palin mockery, there's not much that the interviewer can do to make the person sound any weirder/funnier than she already is (with the notable exception of turning it all into a beat poem read by Captain Kirk, which was a true stroke of epic genius).

Although I did get a couple laughs out of the interview, I found the editing to be clunky and I was sort of frustrated when "Stephen" brought up Chester Allan Arthur, and then they apparently edited out her response to why Obama is different, and went with the dumb mutton chop sideburns riff instead. So, I sort of come down on the side of those saying that ultimately it was a waste of time to do the interview. I could have gotten pretty much the same laughs by just watching Anderson Cooper or someone like him do a conventional interview of her. I seriously doubt that Orly achieved her goal of reaching any new converts, but on the other hand, I don't think TCR achieved any comedic or satiric goal either.

But, it did seem like a fun idea when I read the spoiler the day before, so I can't be too critical of TCR for trying. Sometimes the magic works; sometimes it doesn't.

Arcey

Arcey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

Does anyone remember what SC said about Bush and Katrina in last night's show? I don't remember now what it was, but it was incredibly funny and clever.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 12:14 AM

I loved the Word segment. It was well written in a crude way. But, IMO, I was dissapointed with Stephen's Tour de France story. Lance Armstrong was a last minute add on to Alberto Contador's team. Contador was the lead biker on the team and Armstrong was just along for the ride promoting his Livestrong cause. But along the way, Armstrong started challenging Contador's position. From the sounds of things, the team wasn't too thrilled with Armstrong's tactics. If anything, Armstrong is the real douche. It's a shame the pro American audience thought otherwise.

ZeroForce

ZeroForce

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 12:47 AM

Both Contador and Armstrong are douches here. Armstrong for trying to take the lead, and Contador for not letting it go after he'd won in the mountains (and Armstrong said "I'm happy to be a domestique" and then rode like one the rest of the way). Sure, Armstrong gave it a run, but once Contador had won, Armstrong stepped back. Also, Contador did dumb things like throwing his own teammate, Kloeden, under the bus in an attack he didn't need to do.

Hooper

Hooper

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 12:53 AM

Does anyone remember what SC said about Bush and Katrina in last night's show? I don't remember now what it was, but it was incredibly funny and clever.

It started with "Stephen" chastising Obama for becoming involved in a single city issue (the Gates debacle). He then compared Obama's "meddling" with the wisdom of his Bush who never became involved in localized city issues "no matter how high the flood waters rose." I'm paraphrasing obviously, and it doesn't look nearly as wickedly funny written out like this than it was on the show, but it was wickedly funny.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 8:26 AM

I've never heard racism equated with farting before. That was great. "A teachable fart."

I can't remember during which segment that was. Didn't he say that Obama controls everything including the weather, and then he made the comment about Katrina? Am I getting this confused with TDS?

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 9:14 AM

Didn't he say that Obama controls everything including the weather, and then he made the comment about Katrina? Am I getting this confused with TDS?

I think that was TDS - Jon was saying how the Dems control the White House, Congress and the weather...has there been a hurricane since Obama has been president.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 9:25 AM

I thought so. So when did Stephen make the Katrina joke?

Ms Interpreted

Ms Interpreted

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 11:14 AM

Hooper had it right on the Katrina joke: "This post-racial beerfest all stems from last week, when Officer Crowley arrested Henry Louis Gates in the act of being in his own home. Now in Officer Crowley's defense, Gates' fingerprints were everywhere. Now, a few days later, President Obama said the cops had acted 'stupidly'. Big mistake. A president should never get involved in a local, city-specific issue. President Bush never did -- no matter how flooded a city got." I totally loved that one!

Solid show last night. The WØRD was a novel take on racism that I thought was pretty clever, and I'm always down for some Glenn Beck bashing. "Beck’s not saying Obama dislikes white people, he’s saying he has a deep-seated hatred for them. Like Beck likes arguing but has a deep-seated hatred for logic." Heh.

I don't care much for cycling, but I think it's fair to say that Armstrong and Contador both have some sizable "douche" cred built up. Geez.

Someone over at NFZ was in the audience last night and left a spoilery comment about an additional guest segment: evidently, Meryl-freaking-Streep was there! I cannot begin to express my jealousy of whomever got to see that taped.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 11:17 AM

OK, so that Katrina joke was from Tuesday night. My addled brain can't keep things straight. I record the shows and watch them the following morning and open these threads afterwards, so when I read Arcey's question about "last night's show", I thought Wednesday night's.

Ms Interpreted

Ms Interpreted

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

I said just above here that I'm always down for some Glenn Beck bashing, and I think Stephen does it fabulously (the Doom Bunker segment got major props when it aired, and with reason, but my fave is still the segment on Glenn Beck's "Crazy Eyes"). Thing is, there are times when I just don't even know how they manage to come up with anything more insane-o than what Beck says in the first place. This is one of those times: Glenn Beck starts ranting about protecting sea turtles and otters that don't carry guns to defend America.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 12:33 PM

Confirming Ms Interpreted's spoiler... next week's guests:

8/3/09 Gen. Tony Zinni - Co-Author, “Leading the Charge: Leadership Lessons from the Battlefield to the Boardroom”
8/4/09 Kurt Andersen - Author, “Reset: How This Crisis Can Restore Our Values and Renew America”
8/5/09 Kris Kobach - Fighting the immigration battles state to state and city to city. Also running for Sec. of State in Kansas.
8/6/09 Meryl Streep

Kobach must be a wingnut, since his web site features this endorsement: "We need a Kris Kobach in every state in the country." - Michelle Malkin, Syndicated Columnist and Author

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 6:58 PM

Glenn Beck starts ranting about protecting sea turtles and otters that don't carry guns to defend America.

I finally watched this, Ms I. Every time I think Glennie couldn't be any more stupefying, he tops himself.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2009 @ 7:39 PM

Looking forward to Kathryn Bigelow tonight. I saw "The Hurt Locker" last week, and it is really excellent.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 12:22 AM

BWAH! Fatherfucker is the PERFECT description for Tucker "Dick" Carlson

And I almost expected Stephen to pimp his Tek Jansen Alpha Squad 7 novel to Kathryn Bigelow to see if a movie could be made.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 8:54 AM

I want Kathryn Bigelow's shoes. Want 'em bad. Sure, they might well cripple me, but I promise not to walk in them. I'll just sit, posing languidly.

That was an impressive Colbert Bump, wasn't it? (Now that I see that in writing, it looks a little dirty....I'm okay with that.)

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 10:26 AM

I expected Movits to sell a lot better from their appearance, but that bump was indeed impressive.

Stephen's new meTunes segment was funny, though it doesn't really seem to fit on a "conservative pundit's" show. Loved the bit with Jeremih and Jeremeh. Also, Ferrari Snowday and Cupcake Reacharound are great band names. Someone tell me: Is there really a dance move called The Sprinkler? If Stephen made that up, it was fantastic.

It was clear on both TDS and TCR that the segments on the Beer Summit were written before the event actually took place (which I think was 6 pm). Jon made a reference to the room in which it took place, whereas it was outside, and Stephen made the joke about the guys going to pee on Biden's lawn, but Joe was there with them. Anyway, loved Stephen's lines: "I consider being sober a pre-existing condition" and about Obama's choice of Bud Light: "He first chose Budweiser but caved to Republicans who insisted he water it down."

BTW, the Alabama beer label read "Ku Klu Klager". Did they forget the "x" at the end of "Klu" or was this intentional?

Loved how Stephen remade "bitchy" into "teste." And, yes, Tucker Carlson is a fatherfucker was hilarious.

Kathryn Bigelow's interview was good. I'll have to see that film.

Ms Interpreted

Ms Interpreted

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 11:40 AM

peeayebee: expected Movits to sell a lot better from their appearance, but that bump was indeed impressive.

Judging by comments I've seen around the internets, the Movits! album was only available through the Swedish iTunes, etc., which may well have affected the sales. I understand that it should be available on the U.S. iTunes page soon (I saw "by August" on one site); I think it's a pretty impressive Bump, regardless.

attica finch: I want Kathryn Bigelow's shoes ... I'll just sit, posing languidly.

Heh. See, and just the other day, I noticed yet another story saying that heels were out and flats were all the rage. Maybe so, but those of us who are only three apples high without our shoes will probably continue to salivate over certain ergonomically incorrect footwear. What blows me away is how incredible Bigelow looks. Good God, that woman is fifty-seven years old! It's just sick. And her movie was outstanding; I saw it a couple of weeks ago and haven't really been able to get it out of my head.

I thought MeTunes was a lot of fun and got a kick out of the character break, but I think Tip/Wag was my favorite last night. I'm not sure why, but I giggled crazily when Stephen started judging himself.

And Tucker Carlson is totally a fatherfucker. Trust Stephen to point out something so perfect!

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 12:54 PM

Stephen doing "The Sprinkler" was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. I rewound it and watched it two more times!

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 1:15 PM

Also, Ferrari Snowday and Cupcake Reacharound are great band names.

I said that to myself as soon as he mentioned them!

BTW, the Alabama beer label read "Ku Klu Klager". Did they forget the "x" at the end of "Klu" or was this intentional?

I thought I saw that too, but I think that the "x" was on the Klansman's shirt.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 3:08 PM

I loved the opening with Stephen's "roommate". I love callbacks like that.

All the character breaks were fun; he hasn't had an episode with that many in a while.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 4:10 PM

Good God, that woman is fifty-seven years old! It's just sick. And her movie was outstanding; I saw it a couple of weeks ago and haven't really been able to get it out of my head.

Kathryn Bigelow's fifty-seven?! Wow. Eat your heart out Jim Cameron.

Edited by Limbonaut, Jul 31, 2009 @ 4:15 PM.

Boxcar

Boxcar

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 3:28 PM

I was at Thursday's taping, and since I know that taping reports are appreciated here, I have mine.

One of the first audience questions Stephen was asked was very apt. Someone asked "what would your wife say it's like being married to you?" Stephen replied "Well, she's here tonight, let me ask her." Her reply was "absolutely wonderful." She was sitting about a row and a half behind my group (she was sitting on the stairs with a friend), and everyone in my section would turn to gawk at her after every suggestive joke Stephen made during the taping.

Someone asked if he knew Geoffrey Jellineck, and he said no, but Chuck Noblet did, and that they were probably spooning at the moment.

Another person asked him about flying with the Thunderbirds, and he said he regretted it, because “you saw me afterwards putting on a brave face, then I went inside, fell down, twitched, and threw up for two hours. They stripped me to my waist and packed me with ice.”

He was asked about Mark Sanford, and he said it was shocking because he was the most boring person ever, and you’d never expect him to do anything like that (his wife was nodding along with this), but he did say “but then again, a middle-aged man having an affair isn’t all that interesting.”

Just before the taping, while his roommate was sitting at the desk, Stephen was standing to the side where the microwave is and threw a pen at his wife in the audience. She caught it and held it up to her throat like it had impaled her and made a face along with it.

Right after the “Birthday Sex” segment, when he leans to his right and does that bit about taking notes—he was directing that at his wife.

They were obviously in a hurry—while they had us packed in the waiting room, they mentioned that he was going to Washington on Friday to do an interview. His wife left the audience with her friend (Stephen came up and kissed her on the lips before she left; it was cute, he also kissed her friend on the forehead I think). Then they taped the Gidget segment and booted the audience out. My party was among the first ones out, so we saw Stephen as he left—before most of the audience had!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 3:58 PM

They stripped me to my waist and packed me with ice

::laments the lack of video for this::

Well done, Boxcar! Thanks for posting!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 3:58 PM

Thanks for the report!

Right after the “Birthday Sex” segment, when he leans to his right and does that bit about taking notes—he was directing that at his wife.

I thought she might have been there when he did that!

Just before the taping, while his roommate was sitting at the desk, Stephen was standing to the side where the microwave is and threw a pen at his wife in the audience. She caught it and held it up to her throat like it had impaled her and made a face along with it.

Awww. How cute!

“you saw me afterwards putting on a brave face, then I went inside, fell down, twitched, and threw up for two hours. They stripped me to my waist and packed me with ice.”

Was he exaggerating or is this true? If true, what happens to the body that would require being packed in ice?

Ms Interpreted

Ms Interpreted

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 4:10 PM

Thanks, Boxcar! I knew his wife had been there that night, but getting the pre-show and other off-camera interplay is wonderful. That pen thing is great.

And that poor boy! I'd heard he'd been really sick after the "Thundercats" segment, but still. :(

I'm so glad you were willing to share the details here -- thanks again.

Roseha

Roseha

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 10:27 PM

Just popping in before tonight's show - I was in Newfoundland all last week where TCR is on at 1 am, 11 am and 5 pm, and I loved the whole week, but Monday's Movitz-featured show I actually watched 3 times! I loved Stephen's dance move as he approached to do the interview with them!

And his tip/wag for himself on Thurs was great, as well as the summer song feature.

Evie was there! Great report, thanks!

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2009 @ 4:31 AM

Nice to hear about the kid who lost his library card. And great of Stephen to give him those books to read (well, the Harry Potter series) in his own way.

One only wishes Hannity and Limbaugh could go away like that.

Birth control pills a banned substance? Whisky Tango Foxtrot?