The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23955 replies to this topic

coastie81

coastie81

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:00 AM

The obvious running mate for Stephen, now that he's eliminated Jon, is Pat Paulson.

YES! Alexandria Bay you are not the only one here old enough to remember Pat Paulson; although I had forgotten about him until you brought his name up. Is he still amongst the living?

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:00 AM

I'm crossing my fingers that the brilliant writers can contrive a reason for Jon to come back to TCR.

Lord, please let that be!

I'm weirdly looking forward to Anderson Cooper on Thursday--he had a strangely funny (and flirty, or maybe I'm just looking for the HoYay) interview last time, with the "unbutton, lean in" trick he taught Stephen.

Hee! That was truly a great moment in HoYay.

What about Gail Parker? The campaign song is already there.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:03 AM

I love the way Stephen is running his "campaign." This whole thing can be done so brilliantly.. I am looking forward to see what will be happening with this the next year or so. Look out Emmy's 2008!

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:03 AM

I remember Pat Paulsen very well myself. I used to love his hapless campaign speeches on the Smothers Brothers' show. I always remember this quote fondly: "All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."

Sadly, Paulsen died of cancer 10 years ago. There's a Web site dedicated to him and his campaigns here.

Edited by shamskygirl, Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:07 AM.

jennytalia

jennytalia

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 9:58 AM

This morning's WGN news reported his candidacy announcement without a trace of irony.

Miss Kean

Miss Kean

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 10:31 AM

Lucky, lucky me got to go to the taping last night.

I got in line around 3:30 and ended up with ticket #18. My sister (her first visit) was stunned at the small size of the audience once we got into the indoor holding area. We got to sit in the front row, right in front of the desk. Warm-up guy Pete was OK; I don't despise him like I do Paul Mercurio at TDS because he's not mean spirited. He kept picking on two guys (I hope they didn't mind) who looked like a gay couple; later when he asked whether anyone in the audience was in the military, they raised their hands. That was pretty funny; Pete said "Navy, right? You guys have got to be navy," and he was right. The stage manager came out to instruct us how to be enthusiastic and said casually that Colbert was on his way back from an appearance on TDS. I almost imploded and I also felt like I was the only one in the room who understood just what a cool, amazing announcement that was. Whoa!

Stephen came out with the usual fanfare, spinning lights, running around, lots of yelling, looking, as always, handsome and adorable. He did his running by, hand slapping thing and both my sister and I made contact. He asked for questions in the usual way, something about getting to talk to him before he morphs into the obnoxious guy. There were a number of questions from the other side of the room which I couldn't hear. One led to a discussion of Sam Adams beer which Stephen said was patriotic. There was appparently a Stephen look-a-like whom someone pointed out. Somebody got their book signed, I think for a relative in the military. When he came to my side someone asked how, with his persona, he can remain humble. His answer, after a moment of contemplation was, "I have a wife." Then he called on me. I told him that I had been there two years ago tomorrow, for the very first show. He said "aawwww," stepped close to me and stuck out his hand for me to shake it. When I put my hand out he took it and held it between both his hands. Oh my. And just kept it there. Oh my oh my. He said, "you're a member of the original one hundred...you're electric." Then he let go of my hand and pointed quickly back and forth between us and said, "we're electric." Then he asked how the show had changed and I said it was much more polished now. He said, "Yes! Polished! I'm polished! That's because they polish me before every show." Then he bounded off to the next questioner before I got a chance to ask my question, but that was O-tay! Then one of the navy, perhaps gay guys said, "since you're more famous than me, will you trade wriststrong bracelets with me?" He grinned and reached his arm up (they were in the second row) and said, "I'll show you how to do this," and they grabbed hands so that in trading bracelets they had to be pulled over this stretch of arm and wrist. It was an arduous process and very funny. It was cute of Stephen to get into it so much.

He sat down at the desk and that song with the line "it's the end of the world as we know it" was playing. He mouthed along and occaisionally would make eye contact with someone in the audience. Once he made a slashing pantomime across his neck while he was mouthing "the end of the world." There was some fussing with make-up (the glasses came off) and hair. They had to shoot the opening of the show three times, which was a delight. The first time he cracked up when he said the name "Tom Tacredo." He commented that "you'll like the jokes the second time around. They're better when they've been aired out a little. Not wrapped in plastic any more. Hung on the line, flapping in the breeze." The next time he said "Iraq wall" instead of "Iraq war." He cracked up and said, "it's even better the third time." It was a joy to watch. He was positively giddy. The third take went smoothly. Each time they shot he would try a different way of approaching the camera. Once he pushed his chair way back and wheeled it in really fast toward the camera and the other two times he tried spinning his head or turning his body in a different way, just working on shaping the material as he went along.

The rest of the show was pretty much as you saw, though after he did the president/balloon drop, segment, he asked the audience, "how many of you thought that was real? How many of you though it was fake?" He looked around and it was about evenly divided, which he said was interesting. Then he said, "because we're really doing this. We're filing papers tomorrow." He was grinning and obviously loved the whole idea.

The closing sgement was quick, but they filmed for awhile, both shots of the audience and shots of Stephen futzing with his stuff on his shelves. I guess they don't know how much end material they will need until they edit the show. He left very quickly. I went up to the guy guarding the desk and asked if I could have the script. He said, "I'm really sorry. We're not allowed to gave anything away. I know they do that at TDS. Thanks so much for coming. For all it matters to me, I'd give you his chair." I really wanted the bumper sticker with the "Stewart" cut out, but I could see I would get nowhere. A few minutes later we were wandering on the street in a happy haze and one of the cameramen spotted us (I had a blue balloon and my sister had three- red, white and blue) and waved to us. He said, "are you going to vote for Stephen?" I told him I couldn't vote in South Carolina, which seemed to amuse him. Everybody who works there seems really nice.

I heard Stephen say "fuck" several times, which was exciting. He is amazingly accessible to his audience, both verbally and physically. He appears to love his work. He is sexy and wonderful and altogether divine.

Ms Interpreted

Ms Interpreted

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 10:37 AM

Awesome awesome awesome, Miss Kean!! I knew you had a taping coming up, but I didn't dare hope it was yesterday's. Thanks so much for the wealth of detail and for adding to the "electric" audience and for sharing in the love that is a Stephen taping.

God, what a brilliant show to catch!!

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 10:43 AM

I told him that I had been there two years ago tomorrow, for the very first show. He said "aawwww," stepped close to me and stuck out his hand for me to shake it. When I put my hand out he took it and held it between both his hands. Oh my. And just kept it there. Oh my oh my. He said, "you're a member of the original one hundred...you're electric." Then he let go of my hand and pointed quickly back and forth between us and said, "we're electric."

Omigod, how thrilling is this?!?

Incredibly fab taping report beginning to end, Miss Kean. Sitting in the front row! And you got balloons from the balloon drop! Yay!

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 10:55 AM

Washington Post article on the next president of the United States. It also mentions Pat Paulsen.

Ms Interpreted

Ms Interpreted

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 11:05 AM

Heh - Obama's campaign has responded.

eEagle

eEagle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 11:10 AM

Miss Kean, that is awesome, you must of melted. I know I would. Good episode, Boston legal before this and Stephen added for a good night.

kinaesthesia

kinaesthesia

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

Miss Kean, how very exciting! I can feel your (and Stephen's) electricity coming off my computer monitor. What an incredible night. Have your feet touched ground yet?

OT but eEagle, agreed - Boston Legal and the pundit power hour made for an entertaining two hours of TV indeed.

Miss Kean

Miss Kean

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 12:35 PM

Thanks for sharing my excitement, everybody. No, kinaesthesia, my feet have definitely not touched the ground yet.

And you got balloons from the balloon drop! Yay!

Yes, shamskygirl, and I am very much hoping that my balloon will slowly leak out its air so that I can preserve it in mini balloon form. My eight year old appropriated it and was bopping it all over the house last night and this morning as I watched with a little horror, but I just didn't feel I could become a parent dickish enough to say you can't play with my balloon. Before I go to get him at school I plan to remove it from the bowl in the middle of the dining room table where he left it, put it somewhere safe and hope he forgets about it.

I don't think it has been posted here yet (I didn't know anything about this), but in addition to Stephen's appearance at Barnes & Noble on Union Square next week, he will also be appearing at Borders on Columbus Circle on November 5th at 8:00, for anyone in the NY area. They announced this at the taping.

By the way, Stephen's hands are very soft.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 12:40 PM

Stephen's hands are very soft.

I am not surprised. He uses VaxxaSoft*, I hear.

*Side effects may include Useless Limb Syndrome and Delusions of Presidential Grandeur.

nm317

nm317

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 12:41 PM

By the way, Stephen's hands are very soft.

And what does he *smell* like? :-)

Flaregun

Flaregun

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 1:02 PM

Freedom.

Awesome taping report, Miss Kean. Damm, you can sure pick em'. Did you happen to notice the balloons up in the ceiling before the show started? And if so, after they casually mentioned that Stephen was coming back from an appearance on TDS, did you maybe have any inkling or suspicions as to what might be coming?

(I think we all should have seen this coming, he's been dropping hints in all his book promoting interviews and also in his guest column in Sunday's Times. And the fact that TCR is scheduled to be on the road in South Carolina during the Primaries there shows this has been in the works for some time).

Edited by Flaregun, Oct 17, 2007 @ 1:14 PM.

nm317

nm317

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 1:03 PM

Well, "Stephen" certainly smells like freedom. But Stephen might smell like something different. Like sunshine and puppies. Or, maybe not puppies.

Arcey

Arcey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 1:14 PM

Oh Miss Kean. Thank you so much for transporting me back to the studio and the electricity. You captured it beautifully. So glad you got to go again (didn't remember you've been there only been once before), and on this particular night. What a treat!! I know what a huge TDS fan you are (audience-wise), so it's especially warming to hear your effusiveness for this TCR experience. It's so memorable and stays with you a long time. Thanks again for helping me feel the love all over again. So glad one of "us" was there to report. I was hoping that was the case while I was watching. Great taping report!!

Edited by Arcey, Oct 18, 2007 @ 11:35 AM.

Ms Interpreted

Ms Interpreted

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 1:40 PM

Here's a helpful little entry on the procedural issues involved in Stephen's candidacy.

nm317

nm317

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 1:54 PM

Am I misunderstanding that article? It says the filing fee is $2500 in one spot and $35,000 in another. Is the Democratic party filing fee that much cheaper than the Republican? What am I missing here?

RunninRedbird

RunninRedbird

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:00 PM

No, you're not missing anything. It costs more than ten times more to register in the Republican primary than the Democratic primary.

nm317

nm317

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:02 PM

Wow. That's...not surprising at all, actually.

Flaregun

Flaregun

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:04 PM

Am I misunderstanding that article? It says the filing fee is $2500 in one spot and $35,000 in another. Is the Democratic party filing fee that much cheaper than the Republican? What am I missing here?

Doesn't seem like you're missing a thing, unless it's familiarity with the old cliche that the Republicans are the party of the rich elite, while the Democrats are the party of the rich elite who like to portray themselves as the party of the everyday, common, working man, the "little guy" who should be given a chance to shoot for the big time (hence the alternate method of qualifying by getting 3000 signatures on a petition if they can't affort the entry fee). It might also be the case that South Carolina is a very red state with no shortage of people seeking places on the Republican ticket, while the Democrats have trouble finding people to run and so offer slots on their ticket at a discount.

nm317

nm317

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:10 PM

Doesn't seem like you're missing a thing, unless it's familiarity with the old cliche that the Republicans are the party of the rich elite...

No, I got that. And that was my first conclusion. But then when the same guy was being quoted talking about both sides (and they didn't specifically say "Republican filing" for the second one), I second-guessed myself. Wondered whether either I can't read or it was badly written (both of which could still be true.)

(Re-reading again) - I think the second time they quote Mr. Werner as talking about filing fees, it should be Mr. Dawson. Or they're completely messed up.

Edited by nm317, Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:12 PM.

Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:23 PM

I am so excited about this; alas, we will not be able to vote in the South Carolina primary. Does anyone have a guess as to which party affiliation Colbert will choose? Independent?

Oh, the debates would actually be worth watching if Colbert participated. I would love to see him in the democratic debates and the republican debates -- the stiff, oh isn't this charming looks on the faces of Hillary, Obama, and Edwards, the utterly stupified looks on the faces of Thompson and Romney while Giuliani turns red in fury. Could you imagine: (Jim Lehrer): "Mr. Colbert, what would you recommend we do to save social security?" (Colbert): "Deport the Baby Boomers. To France, since they love it so much. Simple." (roughly paraphrased). Cut to baffled, deer-in-the-headlights expression on the face of Thompson.

We have been reading the book and just love it.

Miss Kean

Miss Kean

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:38 PM

So glad you got to go again (didn't remember you've been there only been once before), and on this particular night.

Actually, Arcey, that was my fourth CR taping. I also got to go when my friend was a guest and then got tickets from the website and saw the show in which the Hungarian ambassador gave him the guitar.

I rewatched the show and focused a little more. I loved the Dead Cat '08 poster and I also love Stephen's habit of calling the newspaper the USA Today.

I also think it's so smart that Stephen didn't declare himself a candidate for President but just as a favorite son from SC. Doing the whole campaign would have been too broad a comedic gesture, I think, and this one is just perfect.

Flaregun, I didn't notice the balloons, and I was so excited for the taping and hearing that Stephen had been on TDS that I didn't really focus on imagining the reason why.

Does anyone have a guess as to which party affiliation Colbert will choose? Independent?

Oh, the debates would actually be worth watching if Colbert participated.

He said he was going to enter his name in both parties' primaries. Do you think it is actually possible that he would go in the debates? What mayhem would ensue! How pissed off would the other candidates be because he would completely steal their thunder.

Edited by Miss Kean, Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:39 PM.

Gfunkorama

Gfunkorama

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:39 PM

And the fact that TCR is scheduled to be on the road in South Carolina during the Primaries there shows this has been in the works for some time).

Does anyone know the schedule and how to get tickets? I live across the border in Georgia (unfortunately, so no voting for me) and would love to be able to see a show.

Ms Interpreted

Ms Interpreted

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 2:48 PM

Flaregun: And the fact that TCR is scheduled to be on the road in South Carolina during the Primaries there shows this has been in the works for some time).

Gfunkorama: Does anyone know the schedule and how to get tickets? I live across the border in Georgia (unfortunately, so no voting for me) and would love to be able to see a show.

Well, as I understand it, TCR is scheduled to broadcast from the College of Charleston's Sottile Theater during the last week of January. That actually makes me think the road trip was scheduled before the whole Presidential candidacy was even conceived of, since - I believe - the primaries will already have been held by then. (And I've actually been hearing about the on-location filming since early July.)

So far, I have not seen any info on ticket availability, but you can be sure I'll post it as soon as I hear anything (and I feel certain that other heroes will do the same, when/if they find out anything).

Edited by Ms Interpreted, Oct 17, 2007 @ 5:48 PM.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 3:12 PM

Miss Kean. Miss Kean! I don't even know what to think after reading your amazing taping experience; I too giddy. How freakin' amazing! Thank you so much for giving us a detailed report, as that's what we live for. Especially reading about moments like this:

When I put my hand out he took it and held it between both his hands. Oh my. And just kept it there. Oh my oh my. He said, "you're a member of the original one hundred...you're electric."

*faints*

I heard Stephen say "fuck" several times, which was exciting. He is amazingly accessible to his audience, both verbally and physically. He appears to love his work. He is sexy and wonderful and altogether divine.

Hee. Isn't he just. *sigh*

Gfunkorama, I live in Georgia as well. Go Peach state! Although, we're not the real Peach State as Stephen proudly made clear. ;-)

Stephen's hands are very soft.

I am not surprised. He uses VaxxaSoft*, I hear.
*Side effects may include Useless Limb Syndrome and Delusions of Presidential Grandeur.

Bwahaha.

Freedom.

You all are killing me.

Edited by happybumblebee1, Oct 17, 2007 @ 3:25 PM.

Arcey

Arcey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 3:17 PM

Actually, Arcey, that was my fourth CR taping. I also got to go when my friend was a guest and then got tickets from the website and saw the show in which the Hungarian ambassador gave him the guitar.

Damn, Miss Kean. You sure know how to pick 'em!