The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23955 replies to this topic

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2005 @ 1:17 PM

Some hilarious stuff in that article.

Mr. Stewart said: "I already miss him. At 42, you don't get the opportunity to be tickled a lot."

"Like O'Reilly, we'll grab the most important word out of every sentence," Mr. Colbert said. " 'The,' for example. Also, I'll say, 'I'm angry,' and the graphic will read, 'Colbert angry.' "

I'm really psyched.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2005 @ 3:50 PM

TWiG might work with Corddry, but it will be different without Colbert. Perhaps it didn't really fit with his enhanced 1/2 hour persona.

Colbert says in the NYT story that God has an exclusive licensing agreement with TDS. They're working on a similar agreement with Satan, though.

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2005 @ 3:54 PM

They're working on a similar agreement with Satan, though.

They're poaching him from Fox News?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 9:37 AM

They're poaching him from Fox News?

Well, they'll get to keep all of Satan's minions.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 2:03 PM

Here's the guest lineup for the first two weeks of The Colbert Report:

10/17 Stone Phillips
10/18 Leslie Stahl
10/19 Fareed Zakaria
10/20 Jim Cramer
10/24 Lou Dobbs
10/25 Greg Behrendt
10/26 Neil DeGrasse Tyson
10/27 Jeff Daniels

Drkangel

Drkangel

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 3:33 PM

edited because I posted in the wrong thread

Edited by Drkangel, Oct 13, 2005 @ 3:35 PM.

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 4:12 PM

Funny article in EW with Stephen interviewing himself.

Heh heh heh...

STEPHEN (SUBJECT): If they made a Lifetime movie about you, what would they call it?
STEPHEN (INTERVIEWER): Mother May I Sleep with Show Business: The Stephen Colbert Story.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 5:09 PM

I love the picture the New York Times used to illustrate its article on the show in yesterday's Arts section.

BlackCorduroy

BlackCorduroy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 7:38 PM

Some pics of Colbert on set

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 7:42 PM

I hate that this show is debuting the week I'm out of the country. Dammit!

The set looks so much like TDS. Does anyone know where in Manhattan they are filming?

Edited by samsnee, Oct 13, 2005 @ 7:45 PM.

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 8:36 PM

I was under the impression that Stephen had moved into the old Daily Show studio. I thought I read that somewhere, but maybe someone can confirm?

leew261

leew261

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 8:51 PM

I love the picture the New York Times used to illustrate its article on the show in yesterday's Arts section.

Is that a banana or am I just glad to see myself?

snav0561

snav0561

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 9:13 PM

I am loving the commercials for The Colbert Report, if only because they are pronouncing Report with a silent "T" like Colbert. Have they been doing this the whole time?

It is about time there is a suitable show to follow TDS, although I will miss the reruns of the previous days at 10:30. Do they plan on replaying this 3 times the next day too?

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 9:37 PM

I was under the impression that Stephen had moved into the old Daily Show studio. I thought I read that somewhere, but maybe someone can confirm?

Yep, that's what I remember reading or hearing but I couldn't pinpoint where either.

I am loving the commercials for The Colbert Report, if only because they are pronouncing Report with a silent "T" like Colbert. Have they been doing this the whole time?

Yes.

SeeeTeee

SeeeTeee

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 9:45 PM

I got to see the first test show they did on Tuesday. They tape the show in the studio where they used to film The Daily Show. They have signs up telling people the new address for TDS for the people who show up there looking for it. It must happen a lot because there were tons of signs.

Anyway, the show was kinda rough. They started mad late, the lights were still being adjusted. Stuff like that.

But it got really cool. Jon Stewart ran out and introduced Stephen Colbert. I love Jon. Then Stephen came out. It was so cool. I'm a huge Strangers With Candy fan so I was grinning like an anime character. My eyes turned to slits and everything. Stephen was really cool and talked with the audience. Someone asked him if he was going to write another book like Wigfield. Stephen said no because it was harder than he thought it was going to be. He thought it was going to be just typing. He was really cool. I fucking love Chuck Noblet.

So the show started. It was very TDS like. It started with headline type things. He did a coundown called The Threatdown and went over the top 5 stories. I don't remember them all but one involved Cheney being called a robot because he had a pacemaker and another was about the bird flu.

It was cool. Stephen messed up his lines because we were laughing so much I think it threw him. He's gonna have to learn to ignore the audience. Oooh...I was in the very front row and he totally looked at me while he adjusted his tie and gave me the "is it straight look." I only allow myself to be geeky about Strangers With Candy so leave me alone. But we totally did have that moment.

They were having teleprompter problems so Stephen had time to play with the audience. It's weird how Jon and Stephen are both funnier off camera. Weird. Anyway, then they did a guest segment where he interviewed Jeffery Toobin from CNN. I know...I got hosed. I'm not from Canada but the word seemed to apply.

The interview segment was a lot different from TDS. It was like Chuck Noblet doing an interview. I loved it. Stephen was kind of a smart ass and the Toobin guy was kinda stiff but was a good sport about it. It was a really cute and funny interview. Not really about anything substantial. Stephen would go off on odd tangents and Toobin tried to keep up. It was the best part of the show. Kinda the opposite of TDS.

Then there was a short segment where Stephen talked about candy apples being different from caramel apples. I about pissed myself when he said that candy apples were a cancer on our society and that they shatter like glass when you bite into them. It was really funny.

Oh, then he did a salute to Tom Cruise for not being gay and getting Katie Holmes prenant with the Cruise Missle. It was funny. He was totally an asshole about it. I loved it.

Finally, as he was signing off and thanking everyone for watching his first show, he took down this giant ram horn. He said it was a Jewish tradition for a new beginning so he blew it to celebrate the beginning of his show. It sounded just like you think it did. It was cool.

Anyway, I have tickets for the Oct. 25th taping and I see I'm getting hosed on the guest again. Now I have to google Greg Behrendt.

Edited by SeeeTeee, Oct 13, 2005 @ 9:46 PM.

leew261

leew261

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 6:08 AM

Thanks for the report, SeeeTeee -- sounds like it was a lot of fun. And for what it's worth, I really like Greg Behrendt, the man who will go anywhere as long as cake is being served. He'll probably do well in a fake interview segment with Stephen.

Miss Kean

Miss Kean

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 10:48 AM

I have tickets on Oct. 17th too.

Do we know for sure that the show is being taped the same night it airs, like TDS? Can we definately assume that this is the first show?

SeeeTeee's report was blacked out on my computer. Anyone else's?

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 11:45 AM

SeeeTeee put spoiler tags on his report, which covered up the text with black bars. The black bars can be highlighted to show the text underneath. Alternatively, if "Select All" is available in the web browsers edit menu, that will show the text underneath too.

Much thanks for the report SeeeTeee. I look forward to Monday's show.

Edited by cutecouple, Oct 14, 2005 @ 11:47 AM.

Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 11:47 AM

Dangit, cutecouple beat me to the punch. *pouts*

Spoiler tags are important, though ... After all, SeeeTeee wouldn't want everyone to know that Colbert brought down the house with a strip number for his first ever-so-lucky audience.

Oooops. ;)

Edited by Rocket Launcher, Oct 14, 2005 @ 11:48 AM.

djcharisma13

djcharisma13

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 1:15 PM

It's probably not as exciting as SeeeTeee's show, but here's my account of last night's awesome test show!!

A Hot Night with Stephen Colbert...

leew261

leew261

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 1:29 PM

Thanks for the report, djcharisma13. (By the way, "mon frere" means "my brother".)

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 2:07 PM

Billy Crystal could do a good faux-Franken.

Please, God, nooooo. I can handle only so much Crystal and not enough to stay up late for him.

Will this show air at 8:30 the next night after TDS as well? They really should since they're companion shows and Jon announces it. Looking forward to it.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 3:27 PM

isiscloud, it will air at 8:30 (11:30 Eastern, 10:30 Central) right after TDS.

Elrhino

Elrhino

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 3:36 PM

Billy Crystal could do a good faux-Franken.

It would be great if they got George Carlin to be the faux Franken. He's a big name. He loves TDS. He lives in the city, and I don't think he tours much anymore. Seems like he's mainly writing books these days.

Edited by Elrhino, Oct 14, 2005 @ 3:45 PM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 3:52 PM

After reading SeeeTeee"s review of The Colbert Repor (yes it's spelled wrong becauseIT'S FRENCH, BITCH!!!), all I have to say is BRING THE SHOW TO CANADA ASAP, BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE!!!

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 4:50 PM

(By the way, "mon frere" means "my brother".)

[Arrested Development geekiness]Who's this Hermano guy? [/AD geekiness]

These reports and interviews are getting me all excited to see this show. I second your post, EmperorJon, I do hope Canada gets to partake in the goodness that will be Le Rapport Colbert(yes, in all its French goodness ;)).

Edited by Morning Angel, Oct 14, 2005 @ 4:50 PM.

Miss Kean

Miss Kean

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 5:12 PM

Thanks for the help with the spoiler tags.

I enjoyed the description of the preview show and am very psyched for my taping on Monday. It is unfortunate for me to read that Jon showed up for an introduction. Now I am daring to dream....

leew261

leew261

Posted Oct 16, 2005 @ 6:19 PM

For those with Tivos, DVRs, etc., don't forget that The Colbert Report starts tomorrow at 11:30 PM and runs Monday through Thursday, just like The Daily Show.

kunju

kunju

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 10:17 AM

I never pick it up myself, but I saw someone in the elevator reading The Metro and there was a picture of Stephen Colbert on the cover page (tucked in one of the top corners). Now I'm tempted to go find one.

Plus, an article: Colbert!

Edited by kunju, Oct 17, 2005 @ 10:40 AM.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 11:20 AM

CNN/AP: A promotion for 'self-important idiot'.