The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23950 replies to this topic

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 5:49 PM

The long-rumored Daily Show spinoff finally has a debut date, Oct. 17 right after TDS.

Stephen Colbert's description of the show:

"It'll be like O'Reilly segueing into Hannity, Hannity into Greta, Larry King into Aaron Brown," he said. “I love that Aaron Brown, the way he sucks the flavor out of every word, and I love the way he mulls. No one mulls the news like Aaron Brown." If The Daily Show is faux evening news, The Colbert Report will be faux Bill O'Reilly. "The focus will be me, lots of me," Colbert said. "Occasionally, we'll turn the camera elsewhere, but only for pacing." And what sort of presence will "Stephen Colbert" have? "My ambition is to have Stone Phillips's neck and Geraldo Rivera's sense of mission."

It'll be nice not to have to lunge to change the channel after TDS in order to avoid Adam Corolla, who is about as bad a match with TDS as you could think of. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how exactly they do this; it would have been easy to give Colbert his own TDS-type show, but what they seem to be going for here will be quite original, as well as funny, if they pull it off. Pulling it off won't be easy with no precedent to go by as far as I know (the late, unlamented Crossballs is the closest I can think of, but that was almost more of a prank show). But, if anyone can, presumably these are the people.

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 5:58 PM

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Daily Show would end with a split screen with Jon handing things over to Stephen kind of like the other news networks do at the end of each show. Should be interesting. I wonder what the format of the show will be and how they will keep it fresh. Are they going to be doing real interviews with politicians/authors/newsmakers like the Daily Show, but will Stephen be in character or be himself? I can't wait until the show starts, but I do feel sad that SC is leaving. I hope he comes back for TWiG once in a while.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 7:36 PM

I'll miss him a lot too in TDS. I'm just hoping "The Colbert Réport" gets picked up in Canada as well. Stephen said on Letterman last Friday that they have an initial commitment of 8 weeks (basically until Christmas). I do hope it is a big success.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 8:33 PM

This sounds like a back-handed compliment, but anything's got to be better than Adam Carolla. Having said that, I'm really looking forward to this show.

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 8:36 PM

I'm just hoping "The Colbert Réport" gets picked up in Canada as well.

Me too, especially if it means no more eTalk Daily.

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 9:28 PM

Anyone know about when the show might be hiring people? It debuts Oct. 17 I think so I'm hoping they still might not have hired all of the staff. I'm still holding out some vague hope i might get the call someday. I know I got my resume to the right person...but no reply.

makelikeatree

makelikeatree

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2005 @ 12:54 AM

Anyone know about when the show might be hiring people? It debuts Oct. 17 I think so I'm hoping they still might not have hired all of the staff. I'm still holding out some vague hope i might get the call someday. I know I got my resume to the right person...but no reply.

Ooh! I really hope that you get hired. We could finally infiltrate the system! Have an insider! Woo! Also...it would be really great for you :)

I am soooo ready to get that damn Adam Carolla show off of the air. He is just insufferable. I say we start a campaign to get rid of it. Although, I am sure it is capable of sinking itself. Every time Jon says, "Next, Too Late with Adam Carolla," it just pisses me off that Jon has to use those valuable 5 seconds to plug that unworthy-of-following-TDS show.

The Colbert Report is going to be taped in the old studio right? BTW, I loved Stephen on Letterman Friday night. He just looked so happy and relaxed. Loved the boat story. Did anyone else suddenly picture him in that adorable sailor suit? Wonder if he wore it on the boat...I can only imagine...

Edited by makelikeatree, Sep 6, 2005 @ 12:55 AM.

leew261

leew261

Posted Sep 6, 2005 @ 6:08 AM

Every time Jon says, "Next, Too Late with Adam Carolla," it just pisses me off that Jon has to use those valuable 5 seconds to plug that unworthy-of-following-TDS show.

It always seems to me like he's cringing when he says it.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2005 @ 8:42 AM

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Daily Show would end with a split screen with Jon handing things over to Stephen kind of like the other news networks do at the end of each show.

Does that mean no more MoZ? 'Cause that would be sad.

Btal

Btal

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2005 @ 9:35 AM

Maybe the MoZ will be at the end of the colbert report. In fact, it might work even better there since Steven will be in character and could do interesting lead-ins to it.

Miss Kean

Miss Kean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2005 @ 10:31 AM

Does anyone have any idea about whether they will be giving out tickets to tapings? There's nothing on the Comedy Central website about it as far as I can tell.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 10:46 PM

The Comedy Network in Canada announced its fall lineup a week or so ago and no Colbert Réport. I'm so disappointed. It'll most likely mean a Colbert drought for Canucks.

dbrugg

dbrugg

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2005 @ 1:29 PM

There's now a section on the Comedy Central page for The Colbert Report. Amongst the photos, t-shirts and such is a link regarding tickets.

djcharisma13

djcharisma13

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 30, 2005 @ 3:00 PM

Thanks for sharing that link....I just got my e-ticket today!!! :-) Strangely, it's not for one of the first few episodes, but for a "test show" on October 13th. I don't know what will be going on, but as long as I get to see Stephen up close in his spiffy new gig it really doesn't matter ;-) Anyone else here going?

tothemax

tothemax

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2005 @ 3:09 PM

I think I have that day off because my boss is celebrating Yom Kippur. I'm going to see if I can get tickets.

ETA: I got tickets! Now let's see who else I can get to go.

Edited by tothemax, Sep 30, 2005 @ 4:53 PM.

feminaformosa

feminaformosa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2005 @ 8:41 PM

anything's got to be better than Adam Carolla.

You're telling me! I can't believe that jackass got a show on TLC too! Stephen Colbert is so much more entertaining. Also, not a jackass. Did I mention that?

Edited by feminaformosa, Oct 1, 2005 @ 9:11 AM.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2005 @ 2:15 PM

Can someone please proofread the website for Colbert?

Be sure to include your name, phone number, and the number of tickets your are requesting (maximum is 4).

I just got confirmation that I have tickets for October 17. Isn't that the premiere? I'm so psyched!

Edited by iMissEthan, Oct 3, 2005 @ 3:04 PM.

Engage

Engage

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 11:53 PM

I emailed The Comedy Network to see if they were planning on picking up the Report, and received an email that it was under consideration.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2005 @ 2:57 PM

"Bears are scary. And they want our honey."

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2005 @ 3:45 PM

iMissEthan you are SO lucky! I wonder if they will pass out some swag to the audience?

Still I can't help it every time I see the commercials thinking "I coulda worked on that show!"

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2005 @ 5:07 PM

I emailed the Comedy Network to see if they were planning on picking up the Report,and received an email that it was under consideration.

UNDER CONSIDERATION??? Not good enough! We, as comedy loving Canadians, must storm the offices of the Comedy Network and threaten them under pain of BEYOTCHSLAPPING if they do not put The Colbert Report on right after The Daily Show. And if they bring in the attack dogs of the Canadian Radio and Television Commission (or NAMBLA) they will be killed on sight. Or at least be given very uncomfortable atomic wedgies. ONWARD FAKE NEWS JUNKIES!!!

BobH

BobH

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2005 @ 9:05 AM

Good Washington Post story on the show.

In a play on the O'Reilly-Al Franken feud, a liberal radio host named "Leiber" -- to be played by a well-known comedian whose identity Karlin is guarding like a state secret -- will pop up to torment Colbert.

Do you think it'll be Franken playing Leiber?

dbrugg

dbrugg

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2005 @ 11:56 AM

Do you think it'll be Franken playing Leiber?

I think that would be a little too obvious, but then I don't think it should be any well-known comedian. That's because it shouldn't be too obvious that Colbert and "Leiber" are playing parts.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2005 @ 2:56 PM

UNDER CONSIDERATION??? Not good enough! We, as comedy loving Canadians, must storm the offices of the Comedy Network and threaten them under pain of BEYOTCHSLAPPING if they do not put The Colbert Report on right after The Daily Show. And if they bring in the attack dogs of the Canadian Radio and Television Commission (or NAMBLA) they will be killed on sight. Or at least be given very uncomfortable atomic wedgies. ONWARD FAKE NEWS JUNKIES!!!

Can't Colbert be considered Canadian, and therefore Canadian content?

alynn

alynn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2005 @ 6:17 PM

I think that would be a little too obvious, but then I don't think it should be any well-known comedian. That's because it shouldn't be too obvious that Colbert and "Leiber" are playing parts.

Maybe Jon? Isn't his birth name Jon Stewart Leibewitz?

feminaformosa

feminaformosa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2005 @ 6:27 PM

Can't Colbert be considered Canadian, and therefore Canadian content?

How? He's originally from South Carolina. Don't go claiming what is rightfully ours!

bluefish

bluefish

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2005 @ 8:58 PM

In a play on the O'Reilly-Al Franken feud, a liberal radio host named "Leiber" -- to be played by a well-known comedian whose identity Karlin is guarding like a state secret -- will pop up to torment Colbert.

Sam Seder? Jerry Seinfeld (yeah, right)?

It would be fun if it was Jon, but what's the possibility of Stewart taking on another show...?

BobH

BobH

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 10, 2005 @ 10:21 PM

heh, Jon Stewart playing Leiber on the Colbert Report would just, as Jon likes to say, blow our minds. Sam Seder I could see, but he's not really big-name enough. Neither is Marc Maron, the other Air America host who would fit the role nicely. No way could Comedy Central get Seinfeld. Billy Crystal could do a good faux-Franken.

dogonfire

dogonfire

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 12, 2005 @ 7:43 AM

The New York Times has interesting article on the show today:

The News is Funny...

Interesting things:

In a nod to cable news, the two hosts will share a split screen each night just before 11:30, as Mr. Stewart "throws" to Mr. Colbert.

and

Indeed, Mr. Colbert will be leaving behind one of his signature bits, "This Week in God," which is expected to be bequeathed to another "Daily Show" correspondent, Rob Corddry.

I'm not sure that's going to work.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2005 @ 10:26 AM

TWiG might work with Corddry, but it will be different without Colbert. Perhaps it didn't really fit with his enhanced 1/2 hour persona.