What We Thought We Heard

• Please log in to reply

885 replies to this topic

Teddycat

Teddycat

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 9:00 PM

This is kind of the same, only I read it in a magazine: When the first season of Survivor was about to begin, I read a promo for it in a magazine. I thought (to my horror!) that I read that they were going to kill the people that were voted off rather than just have them eliminated from the game! Ha!

ForeverWild

ForeverWild

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 9:38 PM

OK, I'll bring this over from the Commercials thread...

There's this Christian music CD commercial, in which white youth throw their arms straight up in the air, and then jump straight up and down in place, which I guess is their version of ecstatic dancing. Anyway, one of the featured songs is "I Can Only Imagine."

Which the male singer renders as "Ah c'n oly 'magiiiiii..."

Which I, therefore, hear as him extolling the virtues of Italian pastry: "Ah, Cannoli Magic!"

PracticalPuss

PracticalPuss

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 10:12 PM

How about Shirley?
I swear Comedy Central doesn't even try. The typist types like a chimp.

Edited by PracticalPuss, Sep 21, 2005 @ 10:14 PM.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 10:50 PM

"Gee our love was sour and great!" I spent years wondering what the hell that meant!

I used to think it was something about "all the salad rate."

Want2Sleep

Want2Sleep

Posted Sep 22, 2005 @ 4:57 AM

"Gee our love was sour and great!" I spent years wondering what the hell that meant!

It took me years to figure out what the words really were.

Yes, I know now that it's really "Gee our old LaSalle ran great" -- LaSalle being a car

I didn't even have any pretend words to fill in,, I had no clue what that line was.

Edited by Want2Sleep, Sep 22, 2005 @ 5:05 AM.

doctorwu

doctorwu

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2005 @ 6:22 AM

Regarding the All in the Family theme, when I was a little kid and would hear that, I could swear the first line was "By the wakeling miller plain". So, of course, I had no idea what that was all about. The actual lyric, "Boy the way Glenn Miller played" makes much more sense.

Penny Bee

Penny Bee

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 22, 2005 @ 9:56 AM

One this summer that cracked me up everytime I saw it was for the 'Worlds of Fun' theme park (in Kansas City). There's this young girl doing the voice-over, talking about all the fun her family has at Worlds of Fun. She's talking fast, so when she says "And my brother really loves the new Peanuts Playhouse" I always heard it as "And my brother really loves the new Penis Playhouse".

Now that's a theme park attraction I'd be curious about...might even pay the $20.00 admission fee to see.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2005 @ 10:52 AM

The one that made me wonder is the Best Western commercial where the guy sang "wait 'til the warmup's underway", and I heard "waitin' in women's underwear".

Sanveann

Sanveann

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 4, 2005 @ 12:32 PM

On Sunday's "Rome," young Octavian goes to a brothel (on his mother's orders) and loses his virginity to a heavily accented prostitute. When his tutor asks, "How was he?", she replies, "Like bull" ... which I heard as either "like wool" or "like wood." (Mr. Sanveann clarified for me!)

RedBetty

RedBetty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2005 @ 8:46 PM

I have a peculiar one that haunted my childhood...

When I was young (gradeschool), I can remember hearing about an "air embargo" constantly on the evening news. This always made me stop dead in my tracks, because the words "air embargo" sound EXACTLY like my full real name. It really used to creep me out.

(I suppose I must have been a nearly pathalogically narcissistic seven year old to have thought that Walter Cronkite was intoning my name on the national news. Sheesh.)

emersende

emersende

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 4, 2005 @ 8:57 PM

I always misheard the Reading Rainbow theme lyric "I can do anything" as "I can't do anything." I figured it out fast, but now I'll spend my life with a catchy, inspirational line of music telling me about my inability to pursue my dreams. It gets stuck in my head a lot too.

Edited by emersende, Oct 4, 2005 @ 9:19 PM.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2005 @ 10:26 PM

This isn't so much a mishearing as a little mental tic, but my brain always wants to interpret the Friends theme as "I'll be therefore you." I don't think they meant for the lyrics to be that deep.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2005 @ 11:57 PM

On the second episode of Prison Break, Lincoln's angsty teen son refers to his father as "that guy at Fox River," which a few people in the forums heard as "that guy that fucks her," since he was somewhat gesturing to his mom as he said it.

Hey Im Jeff

Hey Im Jeff

Posted Oct 5, 2005 @ 8:47 AM

On Big Brother 5, they had an endurance competition where they all had to stand there and hold a button down for hours on end, last one standing wins. Marvin, who was standing behind Adria, proclaimed, "They put the big-booty girl in front of the brother!" but the closed captioning read, "They put the big Buddha girl in front of the brother!"

Want2Sleep

Want2Sleep

Posted Oct 7, 2005 @ 2:02 AM

I don't usually use close captioning but I bet there are alot of funny things on there. I may have to check it out.

rat fink

rat fink

Posted Oct 7, 2005 @ 2:14 AM

On Jack of All Trades, a short-lived but funny series, a comically accented frenchman asks Bruce Campbell, "Is it true George Washington has wooden teeth?" The closed captioner heard, "Is it true George Washington has a wooden dick?"

To which Campbell should have answered, "Yes. Is it true Napoleon has splinters . . . "

*nerdy triva alert* Many viewers complained about the All in the Family theme. In later seasons they strained to pronounce the words.

Edited by rat fink, Oct 7, 2005 @ 2:16 AM.

box lobster

box lobster

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 7, 2005 @ 2:50 AM

Many viewers complained about the All in the Family theme. In later seasons they strained to pronounce the words.

That reminds me of the Family Guy theme. Many people think Stewie's "laugh and cry" is "f'n' cry." I don't know if it's ever been established what exactly he said, but apparently they redid the theme in later seasons to make it clear that Stewie sings "laugh and cry."

Watermelon

Watermelon

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2005 @ 8:57 AM

Many people think Stewie's "laugh and cry" is "f'n' cry."

That's exactly what I thought. But they shouldn't have changed it..."effin cry" is so Stewie. "Laugh and cry"? No.

Want2Sleep

Want2Sleep

Posted Oct 15, 2005 @ 9:53 AM

Okay, I like Stevie Wonder as much as the next person, and grew up listening to his music, but the line in the song "What the fuss?!" that he had the audience shouting? It soooo sounded like "What the f*ck?!" And why was he there again???

Why yes, it sure did!

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 8:49 AM

I always thought Stewie said "laugh and cry", too. But my closed captioning quickly corrected that view. Blast!

Edited by Make It So, Oct 17, 2005 @ 3:06 PM.

sidekickgirl

sidekickgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 9:09 AM

Mr.sidekickgirl and I have noted that some episodes of The Family guy have Stewie saying "Laugh and Cry" while others say "F-in Cry". I'm going to guess that it was "F-in cry" in the first season and changed for the subsequent seasons (damn censors). Of course, now Stewie's back to his foul mouthed self!

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2005 @ 8:27 AM

Speaking of cartoons, Kids WB promo for The Batman. Kids WB is saying "Bring on the Batman."

I am hearing "Bring on the black man."

That really made me stop and think when I heard it. And its the same every time I hear that promo. :)

Edited by Nagurikorosu, Oct 20, 2005 @ 8:29 AM.

LMS

LMS

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2005 @ 8:34 AM

This thread owes me a new keyboard.

The only incident I can remeber is in a S2 episode of Buffy. Xander does this spell that makes all girls love him and walks down the school hallway to the song "Dr. Love". I thought the song was funny and tried to download it (on Napster - remember that?), do internet searches it and I couldn't find it. Years later I realise that it's actually "Got The Love", but I still sing "Dr. Love" whenever I hear that song.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Oct 23, 2005 @ 3:30 PM

I just finished watching my beloved Steelers kick butt on the Bengals -- and late in the game, the announcer said, "There's the onside kick!"

I was in the kitchen and not looking at the TV when this happened, and I sorta scratched my head and wondered what a Bonsai (or Banzai!) kick was!

Yes, I do know what an onside kick is, and I was able to get it from context. But from now on, I will probably think of a little (10-yard or so) kick as a "bonsai kick."

techzoid

techzoid

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2005 @ 9:48 PM

While we're briefly on football, one day I was watching the NY Football Giants and my wife walked in just as the announcer screamed "Touchdown, Amani Toomer!" My wife said, "Please tell me his name isn't 'A Mighty Tuber'."

jessicajason

jessicajason

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 3:25 PM

One time, my kids were watching TV while my husband & I were in the room, but not really paying attention. A promo came on for Krypto the Superdog, and my husband, Jason, a Marine cryptologist, got this very strange look on his face. "A dog that works with codes? What?" It was hilarious.

sarakirsten

sarakirsten

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 4:02 PM

Ok, not tv per se, but same problem...

I'm at a Paul Simon concert years ago, and when we leave, my friend Ted is singing "Momma don't take my coat and throw it away" over and over. I was like, "What the hell are you singing?" Ted's all indignant because we *just* heard the song at the concert, and he thinks I am being a dork.

About 10 minutes later (Ted is still singing), I said, "Are you singing Kodachrome?" he said, "What's that?". Then I sang the lyric back to him ("Momma don't take my Kodachrome away") and he said, "well if that's the lyric that is just stupid. Who cares about throwing something fake away?"

I still tease him about it to this day.

(And? He still sings it his way because he *likes it that way*)

murphsully

murphsully

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 4:27 PM

A song I misunderstood was Springsteen's '10th Avenue Freeze out" -- I thought it was "Tell the devil he can freeze hell". Oh shut up, I was young and sing those lyrics to the tune -- it does work!
Topic: "Hey what's that over there?" <runs away>

Edited by murphsully, Apr 7, 2006 @ 7:25 PM.

Chryss

Chryss

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 4:27 PM

There's a Maalox commercial where the Maalox bottle says "I'm new and I'm a chew." And at first I thought it said "I'm new and I'm a jew."

Yep, choose the Jews that spell relief. The whole damn series of commercials had me on the floor with laughter because, even though I know it's "chews," it doesn't bloody well sound like it.

Hee!

isisuptown

isisuptown

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 4:34 PM

About six years ago, when Burger King was offering their "Filet of Fish Meal", Son of Isis heard it as "Filet of Ishmael."