What We Thought We Heard

• Please log in to reply

885 replies to this topic

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

she's a very good athlete, btw

I'm sure she'd have to be, to get to the Olympics. I'm really pissed at her parents rather than meaning to mock the poor girl herself. It's just that most women with stripper names chose them as a career move rather than being saddled with them from birth. Seriously, if you know your kid is already going to go through life with a last name like Hooker, wouldn't you want to minimize the damage by calling her Betty or something innocuous like that?

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Sometimes I also wonder what parents are thinking when they give a baby his/her name. I went to middle school with a guy named Pete Moss ('peat moss').

JuneCsEvilTwin

JuneCsEvilTwin

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Well, if your last name is Hooker, it's going to be joke fodder whether your first name is Destinee or Debbie -- or Dennis, for that matter. It's not like Moss or Hogg or Lear where it's fairly easy to avoid naming a kid Pete or Ima or Shanda. I'm not a fan of kre8ive spellings, but I don't think of Destiny as a stripper name. It's not that different from Grace or Hope; it just hasn't caught on as well as they have ... yet.

Topic: There's a radio station in my area that gets its traffic and weather reports from Time Warner's news channel. One of the traffic reporters does her sign-off a little too fast. It's "... available only on Time Warner Cable," but it sounds just like "... now blow me on Time Warner Cable."

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

In the kitchen during a commercial break I hear, "Cat litter patients on Medicaid...."

Wha?

Ooh. Of Course. Catheter Patients on Medicaid.

mightybigpiperfan

mightybigpiperfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

I was dozing and had the Game Show Network on. The Newlywed Game was offering the winner a honeymoon in . . . Detroit? Wait, huh?

Wake up a little bit more- oh, they get to honeymoon in St. Croix.

kimberlyd99

kimberlyd99

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Even though I see this commercial at least once a day, I still think the "Tim Horton's Cafe and Bake Shop" is really "Tim Horton's Cafe and Bait Shop"...

Wicked Wonder

Wicked Wonder

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Every time I hear about the Medicare Drug Plans, I hear them referring to a Medicare Party. I can hear after Medicare Part D, but during, I always picture sad seniors with their red, white and blue cards, in a conga line.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I was scrolling through the tv listings and saw Hillbilly Handfisting.

Ok it was fishing, but...

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

I was scrolling through the tv listings and saw Hillbilly Handfisting.

Please, I beg of you, do not give them any ideas.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Commercial for new type of Activia yogurt. Jamie Lee says "Grains" But every. Single. Time I hear "Brains" and glance up quickly at the TV to see the "grains" being sprinkled into the yogurt and think, "Oh yeah....Hate to share my yogurt with Zombies anyway.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

Governor Corbett's Hurricane press conference "We're going to stay on the john for as long as it takes"; I guess we've all sort of had days like that as we get older.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Well, if your last name is Hooker, it's going to be joke fodder whether your first name is Destinee or Debbie -- or Dennis, for that matter.

I went to school with a guy named "Fair Hooker" (he went on to play in the NFL). The big joke, of course, was that at least he should be a Good Hooker instead of just a fair one.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

From "Everest: Beyond the Limit" -- they were discussing a particular spot high on the mountain and it sounded like "There's a mild drop-off on the left". Turns out it was "There's a MILE drop-off on the left." Big, big difference there.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I kept hearing these commercials when I wasn't actually watching the TV for some place called Milo's. I couldn't figure out what type of place this was because I had never heard of a store called Milo's. When I finally paid attention and actually listened/watched, I thought--Oh, 'My Lowe's!'. They need to enunciate better (it reminded me of 'It's Allstate Stan!')

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

On one of those "you wouldn't want your doctor to be doing your job, so why are you doing his?" commercials, a doctor is doing a baseball pitcher's job. I swear it sounds more like "here comes the bitch!" than "here comes the pitch!"

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Nov 5, 2012 @ 10:37 PM.

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Activia: Jamie Lee narrates "Great Grains" and even though I KNOW she's saying "Grains" I swear, every single time it sounds like "brains"

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

I was half listening to the election news and I thought I heard a reporter say "We spoke with President Obama's 'hot babes'", and you can bet I started paying attention and was thinking "WTF?!! When did this happen?" Of course, I figured he said "top aids", but the idea of Obama having a group of hot women he sends out to talk with the press does kind of crack me up.

Edited by thuganomics85, Nov 7, 2012 @ 4:45 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

ETA: double post.

Edited by thuganomics85, Nov 7, 2012 @ 4:45 AM.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

There's a "binders full of hot babes" joke in there somewhere, but I don't know where.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I DID hear Diane Sawyer say, "Banack O'Rama!" during last night's election coverage on ABC.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

But I checked, and... I didn't mis-hear! There really, truly freaking is someone at the games named Destinee Hooker! Seriously! Would I have made up something that fucking stupid? Someone has actually surpassed the idiocy of naming a kid Picabo (pronounced Peak-a-boo) Street.

I've always heard her name as a prediction, like "Destiny: Hooker!" I mean, maybe she won't win, but her that doesn't mean she'll be driven to prostitution!

snaggle

snaggle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

There is a Mini-Wheats commercial where they are singing to the tune of "Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer". Well to me it sounds like they are singing "ninety-nine bushels of weed", lol. Turns out they are saying "wheat", but I hear weed every single time.

StKatherine

StKatherine

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I keep hearing about the urban cheese bread at Subway. I should know better, since I like the herb and cheese bread for my sandwiches.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Watching college football, and I heard the announcer say the player had "chain erection"....He said "changed direction". Enunciation is important Mr Announcer.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

A long time ago, one of the local morning news/talk programs had a segment on skiing conditions. What they said was, "now for the Subaru ski and snow report." But what I heard was, "now for the Subaruskian snow report." For weeks, I was asking myself "what is Subaruskian snow?"

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

But what I heard was, "now for the Subaruskian snow report." For weeks, I was asking myself "what is Subaruskian snow?"

Isn't that what tripped up Napoleon's generals and, several decades later, Hitler's?

Runner123

Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Lol, Tudor Queen.

I was watching a show on the Investigation Discovery channel. Throughout the hour, several times, they showed an ad for another ID program. I swear it took me two or three times of hearing the announcer saying "...crappy criminals" before I realized he was actually saying "...CRAFTY criminals." Ah.

Edited by Runner123, Nov 29, 2012 @ 8:43 PM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

I keep seeing this commercial for some movie with Billy Crystal where a guy asks him "Who is your favorite Engelbert?" Then Billy Crystal says he doesn't have a favorite Engelbert and the guy says "Everyone has a favorite Engelbert!" To which, I always think, is there more than one Engelbert?

I saw the commercial about a dozen times before I realized they were saying Angry Bird.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

And as I was reading your post, I was brainstorming all the Engleberts I could think of.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

There are two Engelbert Humperdincks, the 60s singer and the 19th century composer.