What We Thought We Heard

• Please log in to reply

886 replies to this topic

Want2Sleep

Want2Sleep

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 1:49 AM

I started this topic so that we can post things we thought we heard on our favorite shows but we hadn't quite heard it correctly. Some are funny and some are just sad.

The latest one to happn to me was on a rerun of CSI, I have only seen a few CSI shows. But the character played by George Eads was interrogating a young man and said "so, you wear an ear piece?" For the next 10 minutes I was sure he had said "So, you wear a hairpiece." It didn't have anything to do with the story and boy was I confused. Okay, I'm blonde, I admit it.

A fews years back I was sure the Naked Gun movie was titled "Naked Gun 2 1/2- The Smell of Beer"

I know, I need help.

Smilla

Smilla

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 2:28 AM

My number one, "man, I thought I heard something, there," moment from t.v. was in the X-Files episode that aired just after season eight's "Dead/Alive," in which a very pregnant Dana Scully tells Mulder (of his disappearance), "I prayed a lot--my prayers were answered," and Mulder, noting her gestational form, replies, "In more ways than one." I still swear that Scully then mouthed in return, "it's yours," after Mulder looked away.

Hanna-Reetta

Hanna-Reetta

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 5:04 AM

How about when translators hear wrong? I don't know if this applies at all to the US, but in countries with subtitles, you get so many bad ones. One of the most famous ones was in NYPD Blue when one of th guys says "I'm going to take a dump". It was translated as "I'm going to be dumped", and so many ppl complained about that, it was all over the TV magazines etc.

Another good one is "I'm just asking" translated as "I'm just an ass king." Yeah, that's likely.

CanSpy

CanSpy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 8:22 AM

My favourite is the "CLEX!!!" heard 'round the world in the Smallville ep "Zero".

Want2Sleep

Want2Sleep

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 8:28 AM

Tammy Faye called Jess ugly after seeing her photo when the PTL scandal broke

This is from a Larry King interview and someone had posted the above line and a few others. I was reading the post way to fast and thought it said "Tammy Faye called Jesus ugly..."

I'm going straight to hell.

Edited by Want2Sleep, Aug 30, 2005 @ 8:29 AM.

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 8:31 AM

On last week's Battlestar Galactica, while Doc Cottle is giving Baltar a brain scan, he says something when Baltar moves and screws up the process. I had to watch it four times at progressively higher volumes to convince myself he was saying "fart" and not... well, ya know.

Nerg

Nerg

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 11:10 AM

Along the same lines, on the "Spring Breakout" episode of Arrested Development, George-Michael tells Maeby, "I hate to see you get plucked by someone who doesn’t even care that you’re blossoming." The 'p' was so soft it was hard to tell if he said 'plucked' or, you know...

I mean, it was on a network primetime show and G-M is much too innocent to say something like that, but it still caught me off-guard.

Edited by Nerg, Aug 30, 2005 @ 11:12 AM.

space cadet

space cadet

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 1:10 PM

I caught that on Arrested Development, too. Made me stop dead in my tracks.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 2:36 PM

I'm not sure if this counts because it's more what they wrote than what I read into it, but one day I laughed until I cried when a news channel's crawl reported, "Nelson Mandella buries last surviving son." If you think I'm callous for laughing, at least Nelson could have waited until the poor kid died.

gadje

gadje

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 9:08 PM

There's a Maalox commercial where the Maalox bottle says "I'm new and I'm a chew." And at first I thought it said "I'm new and I'm a jew."

Poodle Hat

Poodle Hat

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 11:52 PM

I was half-listening to the news the other day, and the headline they kept repeating before every break was "New Photos Of Saddam Hussein." I couldn't figure out who in their right mind would want to see Nude Photos Of Saddam Hussein.

Want2Sleep

Want2Sleep

Posted Aug 31, 2005 @ 12:28 AM

I couldn't figure out who in their right mind would want to see Nude Photos Of Saddam Hussein

Oh my gosh, I can't stop laughing at that. And I totally understand, so many times I will be walking by the TV and hear " Shocking nude photos of so and so." Thank god I realized it was NEW photos cuz the last time they were talking about Barbara Walters.

Svenska Flicka

Svenska Flicka

Posted Aug 31, 2005 @ 1:07 PM

I couldn't figure out who in their right mind would want to see Nude Photos Of Saddam Hussein.

Maybe the same folks who wanted to see pictures of him in his underwear?

Bb

Bb

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2005 @ 2:35 PM

gadje, that's hilarious. Thank you!

Add It Up

Add It Up

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2005 @ 2:43 PM

I think the most famous example of mis-hearing thing is the infmaous "We/There are [no] survivors of flight 815"

Edited by Add It Up, Aug 31, 2005 @ 2:44 PM.

Nerg

Nerg

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2005 @ 7:49 PM

I think the most famous example of mis-hearing thing is the infmaous "We/There are [no] survivors of flight 815"

Oooh, yes. Was the correct interpretation ever actually confirmed by anyone? I remember the line was a lot clearer on one of the promos, but I can't remember which one it sounded like.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2005 @ 9:17 PM

I mentioned this elsewhere, but if you hear someone on your TV tell you that someone named Baker is inbred, it's actually an ad for Baker's Inn Bread.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2005 @ 6:15 AM

For the people in the Commercial thread:

"That's AllState, Stan."

Run Amok

Run Amok

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2005 @ 6:29 AM

"Considering the dire circumstances that we have in New Orleans -- virtually a city that has been destroyed -- that things are going relatively well,"

FEMA director Michael Brown.

Oh, wait, he really did say that.

Never mind! [/emily litella]

Edited to fix tags

Edited by Run Amok, Sep 2, 2005 @ 6:30 AM.

Want2Sleep

Want2Sleep

Posted Sep 10, 2005 @ 1:36 AM

In the new Desperate Housewives commercial, in different segments they all mouth the word "juicy."

I thought they were saying "Tuesday" and was mad no one on these boards told me they changed the night the show was on.

foultemptress

foultemptress

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 6:11 AM

I thought they were saying "Tuesday," too!

Every time I hear them talking about Coast Guard VA Thad Allen, I think they said "Fat Albert."

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 8:31 AM

There is a brand of soup called "College Inn." I always think they're saying "COLLAGEN!"

Ewwwwwww....I don't WANT Collagen Soup!

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 11:45 AM

Ditto on the collegen soup. You mean that's NOT what they're saying? (Hee.)

Ah well, that's Allstate, Stan.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 1:12 PM

When I hear the Collagen Soup commercial, I just picture everyone's lips getting big & puffy as they eat it.

Has anyone mentioned the "All in the Family" theme song yet?

"Gee our love was sour and great!" I spent years wondering what the hell that meant!

ETA: Yes, I know now that it's really "Gee our old LaSalle ran great" -- LaSalle being a car.

Edited by Cross Eyed Mary, Sep 21, 2005 @ 1:15 PM.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 2:19 PM

"Gee our love was sour and great!" I spent years wondering what the hell that meant!

OMG, that's hilarious!

Ok, someone clue me in since I don't frequent the Commercial thread, what's "That's AllState, Stan" all about? Cuz I don't get it.

Aimee Myers

Aimee Myers

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 2:25 PM

He actually says "That's Allstate's stand"

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 3:36 PM

Oh. My. God. I can't believe I couldn't figure that shit out on my own.

Brunette

Brunette

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 3:43 PM

There was recently a big debate on the "Supernatural" thread about a line in the pilot. Dean, played by Jensen Ackles, was caught by some cops after pretending to be a federal agent. The cop looked at Dean and said,

"Fake ID, fake credit card...you got anything real on ya?"

Well, I (and several others) swear that Dean deadpanned, "My boots?" before breaking into a grin (and then getting slammed onto the hood of his car while being arrested). However, others on the thread say that the Closed Captioning said Dean's line was:

"My boobs?"

Both are hysterical because of Jensen Ackles' delivery, but it made me laugh out loud when the debate went underway. Boots or boobs? You decide!

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 4:32 PM

He actually says "That's Allstate's stand."

Except that I swear he really, actually says "That's Allstate, Stan." It's not just the missing D (which he actually put back in the most recently-shot spot, but it's not enough); it's also the mini-pause after "Allstate," and the up-in-the-air inflection of the end of the sentence, not declarative but adding your name to the end of his sentence. It's one of the oddest things I know on TV these days.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 21, 2005 @ 8:50 PM

And don't call me Stan!