Cast Appearances in Other Forums

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

318 replies to this topic

ducky one

ducky one

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2007 @ 7:36 PM

Titus Pullo as a Long Island Cop?

It seems we are stealing the best that the UK has to offer. Fuggetaboutit

Historybabe

Historybabe

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:35 PM

Here's a nice interview James Purefoy did in February with BBC Radio on Mark Antony. Click on the link which reads "Listen to the interview now." Toward the end he mentions the new series Manchild he did for Showtime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/rome/

Edited by Historybabe, Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:37 PM.

alisonb

alisonb

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 2:26 AM

I dont know if anyone is lucky enough to attend this but on 21 April Tobias Menzies is going to be attending the The Spontaneity Shop's 10th Anniversay Birthday Show at the Troubadour in London . The company are the UK's leading improv company. Its sold out so no chance for me to go but I was surprised to learn he started out doign comedy improv with them when he left RADA and is still close friends with the two co founders.

Some video clips of Tobias in Persuasion

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nSDiRX3dnwo

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=R6ZQ_dOTK3g

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vMOU0Gzms2k

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6n43OiPHRJA

Arya

Arya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 4:10 AM

Here is a new pic of KMK from the upcoming "The Journey Man" series. He looks like Vorenus forced to wear a t-shirt ;) Nice but I often wonder why they dont try to do something with his eyelashes and eyebrows- you know- darken it or something. Would look much better IMO.

http://i83.photobuck...-journeyman.jpg

nichst

nichst

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 5:39 AM

Well, I don't mind a bit of ginger. And the t-shirt isn't as jarring as Pullo in a suit and tie, as linked by ducky one. What might take some getting used to is hearing both actors speak with American accents. I hope they're as convincing as Hugh Laurie...well, as convincing as Hugh Laurie is to my Aussie ear, anyway.

Do you think it's too much to hope that this Journeyman character might be able to jump back as far as 1st century, BC? Perhaps to save some Roman from suffering a mortal wound in defence of some snot-nosed kid's life? Yeah, I thought so, too. *sigh*

Arya

Arya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 7:03 AM

What might take some getting used to is hearing both actors speak with American accents.

I have to say I dont like this idea at all. One of the reasons I enjoyed "Rome" cast were these accents they were using. I dont know why they are forcing them to speak with American- this is not like there are no Brits in USA ( Ian McShane didnt speak with strong American accent in "Deadwood" if I remember correctly). Besides I read somewhere that KMK' character is supposed to be French...so maybe they would spare us American accent in his case.
Ray looks mighty fine in that suit though...I'm surprised. Or maybe not- I have seen several RL pics of him and I believe they sort of "uglied" him for "Rome"- you know- to make him look like a simple, tired, rugged soldier Pullo was supposed to be. IMO he is much more handsome in RL.

Do you think it's too much to hope that this Journeyman character might be able to jump back as far as 1st century, BC? Perhaps to save some Roman from suffering a mortal wound in defence of some snot-nosed kid's life?

LOL. Someone should write that fanfiction. Totaly.

EDIT: Ok here is another pic of Kevin from "Journey Man"

http://www.ray-steve...php?topic=71.15

Edited by Arya, Apr 10, 2007 @ 7:23 AM.

nichst

nichst

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 8:48 AM

Besides I read somewhere that KMK' character is supposed to be French...so maybe they would spare us American accent in his case.

French? Please, no, not French. I'd sooner American. But don't any Scots live in San Francisco? Although, I noticed some viewers had difficulty understanding his natural accent in the DVD commentary for The Spoils. Me? I dig a Scottish accent, and McKidd's is no thicker than Desmond's on Lost.

Someone should write that fanfiction.

If this new show takes off at all, it will surely only be a matter of time.

Arya

Arya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 10:09 AM

Although, I noticed some viewers had difficulty understanding his natural accent in the DVD commentary for The Spoils.

I was one of those people but it might have a lot of to do with the fact that English is not my native language so any kind od dialect makes things harder for me to understand.
But I also LOVE Scottish accent and honestly- KMK spoke with that accent a lot of even in "Rome" but it didnt bother me at all because it sounds so hot :)

Whiteadder

Whiteadder

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 3:28 PM

Ian McShane didnt speak with strong American accent in "Deadwood" if I remember correctly

But Swearengen was supposed to have originally been English (someone in the first season even refers to him as a "Limey") so it makes sense that he'd occasionally sound English (though he did mostly sound "American").

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 4:51 PM

Apparently KMK is not done with ancient Rome. He is in The Last Legion, which seems to be about a Roman fleeing the Empire to Britain. Plus it's got Colin Firth and Ben Kingsley, so what's not to love?

alleine

alleine

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 9:32 AM

Polly Walker is in the latest version of Agatha Christie's "Marple: At Bertram's Hotel".

Edited by alleine, Apr 11, 2007 @ 3:56 PM.

Butterfly202

Butterfly202

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2007 @ 9:18 AM

Imagine my surprise whilst when reading The Times this morning I came across a nice big picture of Ray Stevenson in King Arthur. The picture accompanied another article about Brits heading off to America to take the leads in TV shows, as well as British formats being reworked for US television.

Ray Stevenson was one of the chief examples (with Hugh Laurie, unsurprisingly), Kevin McKidd was also mentioned.

And there was an interesting fact included: a third of pilots this fall will star British actors in their lead roles.

Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2007 @ 6:42 PM

Some video clips of Tobias in Persuasion

Ah, thanks a ton for those clips alisonb. Toias was wonderful as always and I totally agree with the posters on youtube that Anne was insane to choose Wentworth over him.

Edited by Sikamikanico, Apr 14, 2007 @ 6:43 PM.

Historybabe

Historybabe

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2007 @ 2:08 PM

I was flipping channels last night and came upon "An Ideal Husband." Who did I spot but the fabulous Lindsay Duncan and the actress who played Pompey's wife Cornelia, in the same scene. I actually saw the film when it came out a few years back but had totally forgotten about its existence despite the presence of Rupert Everett, Julianne Moore, Jeremy Northam, and Minnie Driver. It was pretty good, as I remember. Lindsay had red hair and looked like Servilia would have had she been transported to the Victorian age. No sign of Atia, though! :-)

And thanks to the people who posted pictures of Kevin and Ray in their new TV shows. I hadn't heard anything about Kevin's character being French. His character's name is Dan Vasser, which doesn't sound French at all. Speaking of the show and his accent, having lived in San Francisco for several years, I can say there are quite a few Scots there, most of which I encountered at the annual Robbie Burns Night at the Edinburgh Castle pub. The bartenders were Scots as well, so the producers could have justified letting him keep his own accent since there are Scots in SF. His accent is great and I don't find him particularly difficult to understand, but maybe it didn't work for the story.

I'm also looking forward to Ray's new projects, and everyone else's as well. According to the NY Times article cited above, both Polly Walker and Zuleikha Robinson are also getting US TV shows for the fall. Yay! I'll have to wait for James's show Manchild to come out on DVD as I'm not going to pay for Showtime just to see one show.

Edited by Historybabe, Apr 15, 2007 @ 2:20 PM.

azleo

azleo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2007 @ 3:23 PM

James's show Manchild

As far as I understand, this only made it to pilot stage. Showtime picked up a David Duchovny comedy and is therefore unlikely to also pick up this one. Obviously the same Showtime PTB who thought the Tudors was equal to Rome chose Duchovny over Purefoy.

nichst

nichst

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2007 @ 4:32 PM

In fact, Vasser is a very French name; though I wouldn't take this to mean he's French. My name reflects my Welsh ancestry of a few generations ago and I certainly don't identify as Welsh. The casting notes and press release for Journeyman aren't any help in determing the nationality of the character, either. I reckon NBC is likely to go with American though, as launching a new show is a big gamble and that seems the safest option. Oh, yeah, NBC...I wonder if that will increase its chances of being picked up by TWoP?

As far as I understand, this only made it to pilot stage. Showtime picked up a David Duchovny comedy and is therefore unlikely to also pick up this one.

Nuts! Duchovny's all well and good but Manchild had James Purefoy and John Corbett.

officeholic

officeholic

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 3:28 PM

I just ordered the US version of James Purefoys "George & The Dragon" and "The Mayor of Casterbridge".

alisonb

alisonb

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 8:19 AM

Tobias Menzies latest drama Relief of Belsen is likely to air in the Autumn on Channel 4 in the UK. Someone on the production reported that she had attended a screening of the feature length drama (which Tobias has a leading role in with Iain Glen) and said it was wonderful and Tobias excellent in it. She did say some scenes were very upsetting and difficult viewing. She said Tobias, Iain and the director attended the screening and were very happy with it. Tobias plays Derrick Sington who was the first army officer to enter Belsen. I think the drama is based on Sington's book.

A small photo of him in the Cherry Orchard is here

http://community.liv.../x_et_tu_brute/

Edited by alisonb, Apr 18, 2007 @ 8:19 AM.

kelkatone

kelkatone

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 7:06 PM

There are some new clips up for Kevin's new show 'Journeyman', coming to NBC this fall. Looks pretty good! I know time-travel has been done...but hey, what hasn't? :)

Link Here.