4-3: "I Wasn't Even Going To Touch You Until You...!"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

71 replies to this topic

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:15 PM

Another dopey moment for Chip & Reichen -- the earnest "we'll help you" followed by grabbing for themselves and then being bewildered that others are resentful. On the other hand, Millie behaved really badly, stepping all over Chip when he was trying to make amends and taking the huffy victim stance, all the while giggling privately. As Wing Chun said in the recap (more or less), Jesus doesn't care how big a virgin you are when you're that big a bitch.

And not the most flattering episode for Kelly, with her "are you retarded?!" to Jon for thinking that there might be more than one house in the city for Beethoven. And of course, he was right (seriously, it's not that unlikely).

Points to a few (but far from a majority) of the teams for getting the pronunciation of Mozart more or less right ("moat-sart"). Zero to Jon & Al (sorry, guys!) for (a) mugging with the singing as they choose the Figaro option, (b) doing it by quoting from the wrong opera and composer ("Figaro, Figaro, Figaro" is from Rossini's Barber of Seville). Maximum points, and then some, to the music guys for working the awesome musical quotes (Beethoven's Fifth, Mozart's Non piu andrai) into the underscoring. Plus, as a music professor, I'm always thrilled when the Heilgenstadter Testament makes it into prime time.

And how much do I love the waltzing Detour? The only thing that could have made it better would be multiple teams going for it so that they would all have been rushing and spilling champagne and breaking glasses. But it was still awesome.

Not so much love for the Roadblock a harbinger of the attempt to make TAR more like Fear Factor. But with such great FF and Detour, I'll forgive it this once.

Very good leg for Moniker and Sheree; well done! Not so hot for Russell and Cindy, and I'd forgotten how glad I was to see them go. Him in particular.

Edited by Rinaldo, Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:16 PM.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:24 PM

Horsiegate! (Or tonight's Reading is Fundamental moment brought to you by the letter H.) It's somewhat entertaining to see teams pissed off at their stupidity but the pushing and the shoving...blah. Who needs it. And ReiChip's false sense of something (entitlement? showmanship? Decency?) never stops to grate.

Steve and Josh have the honor of performing the most expensive FF ever. Loved it then, love it now. (But those dry cleaning bills! And that fine champagna!) Loved the choices for the Detour, and the accompanying music....well, rocked. (RB? Bungee jump? Snore.)

Girl power indeed. Makes you wonder why we haven't seen this more often in other seasons.

And finally, to think with all the issues the ATCs had with trains, they still managed to stay alive. Cyndi and Russell? She's alright, he's an ass 1/2 the time and a non entity the other 1/2.

sweetsoul

sweetsoul

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:32 PM

LOVE LOVE that Fast Forward! Really brilliant and beautifully done.

HATE HATE the ReiChip! Ugh. Reichen just gives me the creepy creeps. BORG.
I think I hate them more than any of them, save HWMNBN and Vict-um.

This was the first season of all the famewhores and models to come ad nauseum. The first three seasons really stand apart from the following ones. Sad but true, they're just different entities.

soi dog

soi dog

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:46 PM

Another dopey moment for Chip & Reichen -- the earnest "we'll help you" followed by grabbing for themselves and then being bewildered that others are resentful.

I don't see what they could've done other than maybe not say 'We'll help you' at the start. There wasn't any way for them to grab a carriage for any other team.

On the other hand, Millie behaved really badly, stepping all over Chip when he was trying to make amends and taking the huffy victim stance, all the while giggling privately. As Wing Chun said in the recap (more or less), Jesus doesn't care how big a virgin you are when you're that big a bitch

Total agreement there. If Elizabeth was the Virgin Queen, Millie is indeed the Virgin Bitch!

mharvey816

mharvey816

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:49 PM

Buh-bye, Cindy (nice) and Russell (toolio). I'm glad God got out of the tub long enough to make that train station worker say Gmund instead of GmundEN.

Bestest FF evah, marred only by Weezer snatching the clue from the poor man's hand so brutally that I wondered if some fingers had come along as well.

Bravo to Team ATC for never giving up, and for that great line about "throwing whales" off the tower. But I'm already tired of the near-miss high five, esp in slo-mo.

I am most puzzled by how much I'm hating the ReiChip, and how could I have either not hated, or not remembered hating, the first time around? But the Reading is Fundamental moment (tm mtlchickie) was a beautiful round of schadenfreude (and lots of HA ha!) when teams who didn't bother to take the pass as instructed were kicked out of their buggies. <mr burns>EXcellent.</mr burns>

And I am almost ashamed to admit it but whenever I see Team Virgin hauling ass (heh) somewhere, I always start chanting "Millie the Mole, Millie the Mole!" Can't wait for next week when Chuck has a panic attack because of his fear of tight places. Bwah!

Edited by mharvey816, Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:50 PM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:54 PM

I don't see what they could've done other than maybe not say 'We'll help you' at the start.

I meant that to be my point, but I can see I was unclear. Helping others there was impractical and shouldn't have been thought of by anyone. Aside from any other point, what was preventing anyone for grabbing a tag themselves? Temporary alliances can be handy once in a while for sharing mass-travel info and the like, but this was a silly place to attempt any sort of cooperation. (But having made the offer, R&C were a little disengenuous to be puzzled that others resented the lack of followthrough. The principle applies in everyday life, whether business or friendly: you don't have to offer to help, but if you do, then you're kind of obligated to do it!)

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:58 PM

"Kelly, what if there's a few places where he wrote music?" "Are you retarded?" "How many Beethovens in the world do you think there are?"

HA! I wonder what it must be like knowing that you said that & that it's on tape, & that it will be played on TV over & over again to the amusement of millions.

I don't remember this from the first time I saw it, but Millie is a bitch. I just want to smack her up the side of her head. Then I can apologize over & over again like Chip. And speaking of Chip, I do not like Chip & Reichen. They are just WAY too arrogant, & I mean as human beings, not racers.

Please, please, PLEASE Tian & Jaree get eliminated. Now. I want to lock Tian & Millie in a room together & let them duke it out.

I understand that people want to win, & I understand they might not care if they make friends or not, but what I don't understand is why you would do this if you're not going to have fun. It seems like a lot of teams were miserable from the first clue, why would you do that to yourself?

Souris

Souris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 11:04 PM

Horsiegate!

I like to call it "Fiasco at the Fiacres."

I couldn't help but wonder if the FF was dangerous for the dancers. I mean, here they were waltzing around on wet, broken glass. That can't be good. I wonder if somebody had a hissyfit for getting champagne spilled on her ballgown.

Man, I had forgotten how much I hated ReiChip. Tools.

Al & Jon were such nice human beings for missing the train to stay and help Millie during her asthma attack.

Kelly was really stupid with the "Are you retarded?!" That was not a shining moment that you want recorded for posterity.

Still can't tell the following people apart, even on my second viewing: Moniker/Sheree, David/Jeff, Al/Jon, Steve/Dave. At least this time, I've figured out Tian from Jaree.

Speaking of Steve/Dave, would you go to a train station because somebody told you that they THOUGHT there were trains there that went where you needed? They did that twice this ep, and both times it was the wrong station. Lucky for them an -en got dropped.

Edited by Souris, Aug 19, 2005 @ 11:05 PM.

strategery

strategery

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 11:29 PM

Really liked this leg. Great FF, of course -- but what was the music? I was kinda hoping for The Blue Danube but it didn't sound like that to my highly untrained ear. And Best. Named. Detour. Ever. When they were carrying the instruments through the streets, I kept thinking of Woddy Allen playing the cello in a marching band in Take the Money and Run. And nice Three Stooges moment by Monica or Sharee going through the door with the cello -- doink! I even kinda liked the contrast in tasks between that and the new-fangled bungee jump. And at least there were no rats or raw sewage in the sewers this time.

Glad to see Russell and Cyndi go (thanks train ticket guy); hope she wised up post-race. Only disappointment with the leg was that I was hoping BOTH the trailing teams would be eliminated, so it wasn't so dramatic to me. I mean, I know the ATCs have a knee injury and all but I was just getting fed up with the "we can't possibly do this" talk. And how do they leave 3 hours ahead, then end up on the last train to Vienna, fail to even try for a carriage, and not get eliminated? Sorry but I hope they go soon. At least they don't have matching sweaters.

Deinitely getting sick of Chip-on-my-Shoulder and Third Reichen. (Yeah, I know -- but did they ever get an "official" TWoP nickname?) At least now I can tell them apart, I think. Lame ep title too -- stop hyping the child's play, TPTB. My comment above notwithstanding, AirSteve's "There's no way I can keep up" would have been more fitting, since in the end they did do just enough to survive -- and isn't the moral of the show "never quit," rather than "I know you are but what am I"? Or should it just be called Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.

Finally, how close were those departure times at the start? It's like TPTB just gave them one minute gaps to avoid confusion. If it really was 10-15 minutes from the Palazzo da Mosto to the Piazza San Marco, then nobody really took much time at the RB. I wonder if Monica's (?) actual time was less than the elapsed show time between entry and exit. Still was a great RB but not quite as tough as it looked I guess.

ETA: Never mind; the re-cap covered the ill-fated Congress of Vienna alliance better than I could. Not exaclty Metternichs, there, are they.

Edited by strategery, Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:47 AM.

93smiles

93smiles

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:11 AM

Am I the only one who thought that Chip was at fault over the altercation with Millie? I watched it both times tonight carefully, and it looked like Millie grabbed the tag but it slipped from her grasp as she tried to stop herself and turn around. Then Chip stuck his arm out and pushed her as she was trying to get back to it. Couldn't see what happened after that, but it did seem like Chip started with the shoving. I do agree, however, that Millie was ungracious when he tried to apologize.

I remember having mixed feelings about ReiChip at this point when this season first aired. Not anymore. I'll take Flo over ReiChip anyday.

Edited to take out the spoiler tag, as I just saw Miss Alli's comment about spoilers.

Edited by 93smiles, Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:19 AM.

Tegan Jovanka

Tegan Jovanka

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:14 AM

I am most puzzled by how much I'm hating the ReiChip, and how could I have either not hated, or not remembered hating, the first time around?

It may be due to so many of these teams being so unlikeable, especially on first viewing. I couldn't even tell most of them apart the first time this season ran. So many of this group were so humorless (or thought making fun of people equalled humor), angry, self-righteous, and convinced of their moral superiority in spite of never proving it (Who, Jon/Kelly, Millie/Chuck, the father/son, on and on). I do think that Chip and Reichen improved as the show went on and they stopped stressing out constantly. And Chip does so much for AIDS and other charities now (without getting endless publicity for himself or trying to break into show business when he knows he has no chance of being a star) that I can't help liking him, in real life at least. I don't think he's that arrogant or entitled in real life, but on the show he did come across badly, especially in the earlier episodes. Then again, the race is stressful on anyone. I think some people are better off mentally if they stay away from such a high-pressure situation.

I know a lot of people didn't like the clowns or Monica and Shiree but they were some of the only ones I could come close to rooting for in the earlier episodes, then later on I rooted for the clowns and sometimes Chip and Reichen (the latter mainly because they had their non-bullying moments and the other teams left were just so unpleasant/boring).

Edited by Tegan Jovanka, Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:21 AM.

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:18 AM

Say it loud and say it proud: I still like Chip and Reichen. I think they're both socially a little awkward, too self-conscious about being gay, too conflicted about competing, but I never sense that they are being mean or show-offy, which would make me hate them. As for the shoving match with Millie, they're both off-balance with backpacks on a slippery street. Who knows what happened? (Besides, any chance to shove Millie that you don't take seems to me like a criminally wasted opportunity.)

Tegan Jovanka

Tegan Jovanka

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:32 AM

I think that insecurity or self-consciousness was definitely one of the reasons they acted so boorishly. Not that it's a defense for bad behavior, but it doesn't seem that much like arrogance or smugness to me. They thought they had to prove something to themselves and everyone else. Eventually when that weight is slightly lifted off their shoulders, they aren't as bad. I remember at the time these originally aired I thought that Chip/Reichen, Millie/Chuck, Kelly/Jon, etc. probably hated each other in real life (as some later teams have), but many of them still seem close today (I think Jon was on Reichen's radio show a few months ago).

Edited by Tegan Jovanka, Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:34 AM.

strategery

strategery

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:33 AM

Am I the only one who thought that Chip was at fault over the altercation with Millie?

Count me in. The way I saw it, Millie had inside position. I think she was trying to block Chip with her body at first -- boxing out for the rebound, as it were; wonder if she ever played b-ball -- but I think Chip then reacheed his arm over her shoulder and across her chest to get leverage just before Millie put her arm across his waist (so to me that seemed more like a response on her part, though it was pretty close to simultaneous). So a la basketball, Chip was over the back -- or if he were on offsense, was guilty of hooking to get free -- and either way it's a foul on him. (Only Reggie Miller can get away with that stuff, but I digress.) So Millie gets to shoot the one-and-one (since ReiChip is already in the penalty).

Of course, Reichen walks through the screen at a key moment -- very Zapruder-esque there -- so this'll be another Rashomon moment in all probability. Where's Earl Warren when we need him? (And is ReiChip their TWoP nickname? Meh.)

Edited by strategery, Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:35 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:42 AM

I don't know, but for some reason I'm not enjoying this season as much as the rest. I just can't warm up to most of these teams. I was rooting for Team Chattanooga, but Millie is starting to act like a bitch, and Chuck is barely there. I want to like Chip/Reichen, but Reichen is too stuck up for me to fully warm up to the team. The Clowns are okay (but they mug to the camera too much) and Kelly/Jon have potential, but it's just not working right now.

Also, the team I hate the most (Tian/Jaree) happens to be doing good and staying in front of the pack. The rest of the teams need to quit sucking, and beat this damn team (Although it looks like they are going to piss a few teams off in the next episode.)

I'm not sure who's fault it was during the Horsegate, but defintley think Millie should have acted like an adult and not treat Chip like crap. Whatever did happen, I don't think Chip meant any physical harm... he was just trying to grab that tag. She should have been glad that he even attempt to explain himself. Most teams wouldn't have even bothered.

LAXguy

LAXguy

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:52 AM

strategery: Glad to see Russell and Cyndi go (thanks train ticket guy); hope she wised up post-race.

Here are a few of Cindy’s "After the Race" comments from the CBS website:

What was your worst moment in the Race?
Cindy: When I realized I had chosen the wrong partner. That moment was apparent when Russell chose to ally with Reichen as opposed to with me. The moment I put us aside and still couldn't acquire eye contact from my partner so to work as a winning Team that uses strategy and focus to acquire the next target, leaving the drama behind. I only thought I swallowed my pride, but instead swallowed a lemon.

If you could do the Race over, what would you do differently?
Cindy: Bring another partner. Oh, and Goretex shoes.

What did you wish you'd brought with you, but didn't?
Cindy: Another partner. Oh, and Goretex shoes.

Now that you've finished the Race, what are your plans?
Cindy: To find another partner. Oh, and Goretex shoes.

Sounds like she wised up real fast.
(It's also interesting that Russell never responded to these post-Race questions.)

strategery

strategery

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 1:19 AM

That moment was apparent when Russell chose to ally with Reichen as opposed to with me.

Thanks for the info, LAXGuy -- I'm afraid to go to the CBS web site because they refuse to use spoiler tags (hee?). (With your TAR wisdom, Josh should have struck up an alliance with YOU.)

Glad to hear she came to her senses, though the reason she gives would be about #27 on my list, and that's just just judging from what we saw. And it's not like Goretex shoes are that great either. Oh well, whatever gets you through the night. (Millie? Chuck? Are you listenting? Have you decided ANYTHING yet?)

I just can't warm up to most of these teams.

You hit the nail on the head. No teams I really like yet. (Potty Mouth, why couldn't you have done the mask RB? Sniff.) None I really dislike either -- Reichen and Chip are annoying and have some of the same sense of entitlement as Flo, but at least they are racing and NOT WHINING. So it could be worse. Could be rainin'.

Edited by strategery, Aug 20, 2005 @ 1:24 AM.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 2:11 AM

Say it loud and say it proud: I still like Chip and Reichen. I think they're both socially a little awkward, too self-conscious about being gay, too conflicted about competing, but I never sense that they are being mean or show-offy, which would make me hate them.

I'm right there with ya. I haven't seen either of them do anything yet that can't be chalked up to being in a stressful situation, or giving back what they're getting from others. And for Chip to try to apologize for the incident? Classy. For Millie to shriek at Chip while he's apologizing until he walks away, and then giggle about making him bleed? Not so classy.

Leetchnut

Leetchnut

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 6:08 AM

Somebody has to help me here, because I think I am going crazy. I hate to bring up Millie's mole, but I can't help but notice it. Everytime we see her the mole is on the her left side of her face. During "Horsiegate" (tm Mtlchickie) they did a closeup (not a very flattering one either), right before a commercial break, of her taking deep breaths and it moved to her right side. Did anyone else notice this? I must have rewound my DVR about 4 times to make sure I am not seeing things. Before anyone asks, I wasn't drinking :) But with this bunch of racers I should. Most unlikable cast yet (except for the Clowns, IMHO YMMV).

And for Chip to try to apologize for the incident? Classy. For Millie to shriek at Chip while he's apologizing until he walks away, and then giggle about making him bleed? Not so classy.

I agee with you here. She's a bitch. I guess it's all that pent up sexual frustration.

Chip reminds me of Ryan on All My Children. That's one of the reasons I don't like him.

Edited by Leetchnut, Aug 20, 2005 @ 6:10 AM.

AvengingAngel

AvengingAngel

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 7:26 AM

I too am having trouble warming up to these teams. They seem... nastier than previous seasons. I blame Josh. He started in on the scheming and screwing over other teams at the very first airport. I think it set the tone for the rest of the show (and was a direct influence on Reichen's behavior at the train station). I also blame the producers, because that carriage ride was clearly designed to generate conflict, and it worked.

But yeah, so many of the teams seem to be filled with jerks. I miss Amanda and her cute little potty mouth. Incidentally, i did not get the same vibe from Millie that others got. Frankly, despite their obviously sexually related intensity, they're one of my favorite teams (by default). It's just like these teams are all about the competition and aren't taking the time to enjoy the scenery or each other's company. Therefore I don't find it as interesting.

On the other hand, 3 episodes into season 2, I did not have any teams that I really liked. I would later come to like the Chas as well as Blake & Paige, so things can change.

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 7:32 AM

Chip and Reichen just seem really awkward about dealing with people. Like they are two aliens trying to figure out how all these shrieking humanoids work. I think they are a little weird.

In other news, glad to see Russell go. For a minute, I wondered if he had blown it on purpose to avoid continued close contact with Cindy. He didn't seem all that upset about the situation.

If the ATCs don't stop taking the word of random civilians as gospel, they are going to be gone soon. I'm sure those people meant well, but you need to find someone with official knowledge. I was surprised that the big guy did the bungee jump. I thought he would talk himself out of it.

Like others, I am not really loving any of the teams. The tasks and locations are still great and that's half the attraction for me.

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 7:52 AM

I didn't get to see the episode last night (yes, real life, woo hoo!) so I'm relying on memory and the recap. This one had one of the best detours ever and definitely the best fast forward. (Frogger with champagne, hee!) Hilarious watching the teams trudge around the city with the basses.

So many of this group were so humorless

Nail on the head. Too many of the teams see no humor in the situation and come off as high strung jerks (Millie, Reichip, Russell, etc). I bet the ATCs were cast to be the new and improved Ken & Gerard or Frats, but unfortunately they turned out to be Groanies II. Chuck with his double entenders (the best coming up tonight) and Jon & Kelly bickering provide some unintended humor, but it's hard to root for any of these unpleasant people. Some of the teams do get more likeable as the race progresses. After all, other than the adorable clowns, what choice did we have?

"How many Beethovens in the world do you think there are?"

That should have been the episode title.

Edited by Haleth, Aug 20, 2005 @ 7:52 AM.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 8:12 AM

I'm so flattered that I got not one but two "tm"s, but Souris' " "Fiasco at the Fiacres" sounds better. Hee.

I just can't warm up to most of these teams.

Good reason why this is among my least favorite seasons, despite the great European locations and tasks. Even with TAR6, at least I had several teams that I clearly liked and others I utterly despised. Here, most of them don't get a strong reaction and are fair at best. It's also the only final three where I didn't really care who won.

Jaktwin

Jaktwin

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 8:33 AM

I too am having trouble warming up to these teams. They seem... nastier than previous seasons. I blame Josh. He started in on the scheming and screwing over other teams at the very first airport. I think it set the tone for the rest of the show (and was a direct influence on Reichen's behavior at the train station).

I thought it was just that I haven't come off my high from TAR Season 3 just ending the day before!! I ended up watching the finale twice and teared up both times. How time can change my opinion of people.

Josh, how EXACTLY will aligning with two overweight air traffic controllers help you in the race? He's first on my list of don't-likes. Added to that are Jon and Kelly because they seem to be always mugging for the camera, the ATCs because the we can't do this schtick is annoying, Amanda and Chris because her voice is/was annoying and that whole FLO scene seemed set up, Cindy and Russell because Russell was SUCH a jerk I can't believe they were even friends to start!

When Amanda and Chris were eliminated I shouted yay! one couple down, a few more to go!

Obviously I know who wins and of course, I'll watch it all, but I dont think I really care about this season right now.

Tegan Jovanka

Tegan Jovanka

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 9:11 AM

Jaktwin, that's the way I reacted at the time. I was happier to see people go than I was to see anything in the episodes. That was the season where I kept hoping for mass eliminations. Season 6 is, in many ways, a season with a lot of great teams and a bad ending (season 3 is the same, after some dead weight is weeded out). Season 4, IMHO, was a season with a lot of horrible teams and then a surprisingly good ending.

From what I remember, by the time there are only about 4 or 5 teams left, the quality goes way up. It's the earlier episodes, with all the threats of violence and the jostling, the uninteresting alliances, the repetitive story angles (yes, we know everyone hates R/C, we know Millie is frigid, the football wives are football wives, ATC have 'sentimental favorite' signs above their heads), the bitterness, the arrogance, and people who just don't enjoy being there, don't enjoy travling the world - bleh. Amazing Race was almost canceled because of the ratings in the first half of this season, and IMHO, it's not hard to see why.

For some reason I also began to enjoy the episodes more when Who vanished off the editing cliff. Their self-righteous droning about alliances and justification for breaking alliances bugged me almost as much as their bad hair and sunglasses.

strategery

strategery

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 9:18 AM

I think it set the tone for the rest of the show (and was a direct influence on Reichen's behavior at the train station).

Fair point, but I can also see Reichen and Chip yelling "He started it! He started it!" Would be in keeping with the whole Kindergarten TAR theme that seems to be building up. And while I can understand losing your head a bit and jockeying for position (depsite the pointlessness at that juncture that others have noted), I'm still hard pressed to come up with any rationale for the door-humping.

IIRC there was some scheming and screwing (not that kind) fairly early in TAR1 too -- Light Hair / Dark Hair totally stealing Paul and Amie's cab in Paris, leading to one of the show's great lines IMO, plus an earlier airport confrontation -- but it didn't become contagious. Perhaps the other teams didn't find out about it -- or saw that LH/DH got eliminated and took that as a bad omen. But then TAR1 also had Pantheon-gate and other early instances of cab-stealing or attempted robbery, so maybe it's not so much what happened as how teams reacted to it. "Game on," as much as I usually hate it, is still better than "I'm rubber, you're glue."

I thought it was just that I haven't come off my high from TAR Season 3 just ending the day before!! I ended up watching the finale twice and teared up both times.

Definitely not a causal factor for me, but different strokes.

Like others, I am not really loving any of the teams. The tasks and locations are still great and that's half the attraction for me.

Very Cha of you, choochi; if the racers are jerks, just ignore them and take the high and scenic road.

That was the season where I kept hoping for mass eliminations.

WELL PUT! Maybe some bungee "accidents" or zip line carnage. Other than Potty Mouth, so far I've wanted all of the teams fighting it out for last place to go. I might even trade some double- or triple-eliminations for a bunch of consecutive NELs later.

ETA: On second though, maybe not -- let 'em suffer a few more legs before they get the axe.

Edited by strategery, Aug 20, 2005 @ 12:41 PM.

MacMadame

MacMadame

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 9:53 AM

Whatever did happen, I don't think Chip meant any physical harm... he was just trying to grab that tag.

He was just trying to grab the tag that they both agreed he'd get for the teams while she and Chuck distracted other teams. Plus for all her talk about her being physically hurt, she's the one who drew blood.

The whole alliance thing on the horse cabs was dumb but Millie was as responsible for it breaking down as anyone. She didn't do what was agreed upon and if she had, she wouldn't even have been there to get knocked around. She decided to go 'every man for themselves' which was probably smart, but once she did that, she lost the right to be self-righteousness over what happened IMO.

peppypen

peppypen

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 10:03 AM

He was just trying to grab the tag that they both agreed he'd get for the teams while she and Chuck distracted other teams

I thought that Reichen and Chip agreed to get a tag for Team Who and not Millie and Chuck. I'm almost positive it was Jeff who said his team was going to do the distracting while the Chipsters were going to grab the tags. I don't think there was an alliance between Reichip and the virgins in this instance. And, in that case, Millie had every right to try to get a tag for her team, even though she is annoying as hell and her version of what happened, placing all the blame on Chip, was not entirely accurate, IMO. You get into a scuffle with people, and particularly restrain them from behind as she did while grabbing the straps on Chip's backpack; you lose your claim to being innocent of all shenanigans.

Edited by peppypen, Aug 20, 2005 @ 10:07 AM.

letthereberock

letthereberock

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 11:10 AM

I'm glad another couple is gone, because I was really having a tough time telling them apart. I can certainly see after these first three legs why they went back to 11 teams for S5.

So far I'm liking the Clowns and Gweezer (best FF ever!), but thats about it. R&C just seem really whiny and awkward to me, ATC is driving me crazy with their "We can't possibly keep up" nonsense, WHO hardly seem there at all (appropriately I guess) and the rest of the teams just seem to blend together for me.

Also, this season so far seems to have had the worst bunching of all. I'm generally in favor of bunching to some extent, but they've gone to far in this season by constatly putting everyone on equal footing, inviting the kinds of shoving matches and stuff we've seen so far. It seems like they mostly fixed this in season 5, if I recall correctly (S5 was the first season I watched).

graytex

graytex

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 11:27 AM

Chip and Reichen just seem really awkward about dealing with people. Like they are two aliens trying to figure out how all these shrieking humanoids work. I think they are a little weird.

Amen! They are bizarre. Part of the problem IMHO is the producers' storyline for them. For all of Hollywood's supposed progressiveness they can be so backwards. The constant playing up of the "Will they hate us if they find out we're gay?" thing is driving me nuts. Believe it or not, out here in the backwoods of middle America, we work, laugh, eat, etc with gay people. Shocking! We like some gay people and dislike some others, just like heterosexual people. This whole thing makes me laugh. And has anyone else noticed that when Reichip hug that Chip is doing the hugging and Reichen looks like an 8 year old boy being hugged by his overweight Aunt Edna? I'm not buying this relationship at all.

And speaking of the producers, everytime I see Millie/Chuck with the word "Virgins" under their names I want to turn the TV off. Ok, we get the picture. This has got to be the stupidest moniker ever bestowed on a team.

I think part of my problem with this season is that I'm getting a little overwhelmed watching these first 4 seasons back to back for the first time. I wanted a week off after 3 ended. So I'm not warming up at all. Of course, sometimes it takes some weeding out before I get into it. Can you imagine when 8 starts and we have 40 people??

I have more trouble with these teams than any other season. I can't tell my Tians from my Sherees from my Millies. If you showed me a picture of any of these people I could not tell you their names.

Another thing I've noticed. Is is just me, or does everyone need a dose of ritalin in this season. Watch when they rip their envelopes open. If you were within 5 feet you'd get smacked by their elbows flying. They're all shaking when they open the envelopes like they've got the DT's. Please keep all machinery away from these people!

But I will give this episode much credit for the best FF I've ever seen. It was beautifully executed and wonderful to see. This is a prime example of why we no longer have FF every episode...too much planning for the producers.