Snapped

• Please log in to reply

293 replies to this topic

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Even still, she seemed to already be unhinged. [snip] I remember the narrator saying that she'd previously been involved with an officer of the Chicago Police Department. He was married. When the wife became pregnant, he broke off the affair. After the breakup Marni became so vicious they said the officer was forced to quit his job and move him and his family to another location for fear of what she might do.

Good point, Enero! I'd forgotten that bit of background until I read your post and remembered.

Marni was really a piece of work, down to the way she manipulated that friend of hers into covering up for her. I think the world is really a safer place with her in jail than it would be if she were free. She is one scary woman!

Also, I was disappointed to see no new episodes were shown last Sunday. "Snapped" is kind of my little guilty weekend indulgence, so I like to see a debut episode now and then.

Edited by Suz at Large, Jul 4, 2012 @ 12:45 PM.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

I assumed the pregnant woman was keeping the baby because she was getting older & this might be her last chance at motherhood.

I think so as well. It depressed me that she kept hanging around for this guy when it was obvious he was a lifetime lothario. It was pretty cold that he'd known her for twenty years but was still pissed she got pregnant as if she were some groupie he had a one night stand with. Rhoni was a pretty lady, she could have done much better.

That Marni chick was psycho, you could tell just by looking at her low-rent strip mall modeling photos. Shooting a pregnant woman is just plain evil.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I just watched the new show that aired tonight about Martha Freeman. First off this was one of the more bizarre cases profiled on this show. The wife having her lover live in the closet of her bedroom was just strange. I don't know if such a choice was the result of her bipolar disorder or some twisted attempt at sticking it to her husband right under his nose. Speaking of the husband, poor man, how oblivious could he be? His wife has an affair for six months and he pretty much pays for that affair (the hotel room they were staying in etc.) and he has no idea, then on top of that she moves her lover into their house and he has no idea that she's screwing someone down the hall. Sounds like he was completely unplugged from her and that relationship and kind of makes me wonder why he asked her to return home. Why did he want so much for the marriage to work when it didn't sound like he was engaged in the relationship anymore?

With regards to the murder, could the detectives be more incompetent? As soon as they heard her "matter of fact" account of what happened and heard her bizarre story about her lover living in her bedroom closet, not to mention her very thin account of the murder, they should've added her to the suspect list. If the judge hadn't pretty much called fowl on the investigation she probably would've got off. I can't help but wonder if the investigation would've started differently had the murder suspect been a white lover instead of Hispanic. The detectives just took her word as the gospel as to what happened without a thorough investigation. I guess it was more believable that an illegal Hispanic killed this "poor" woman's husband and pretty much held her hostage in her home than her being in cahoots with the illegal and thus planning the murder. Even after the verdict was announced the detective still seemed kind of reluctant to accept the guilty verdict for her, stating that he thought the jury would see Mrs. Freeman "differently."

windy31

windy31

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

I am watching the Sarah Pender episode from Indianapolis. Her and her boyfriend killed their two roommates. Meth dealers. Etc.
Few thoughts:

Snarkiest detectives ever seen on this show.
"There were two bodies with gunshot wounds dead in the dumpster. We guessed it was a double homicide."
"It's what we call in the business, 'a clue.'"

Also, Sarah Pender seems pretty upbeat talking about these murders. Cracking jokes, trying to be witty. Not too endearing when you are trying to claim innocence. What a fool. If you want to seem innocent, try appearing like someone who is bummed about a double murder in your apartment. I don't even know how this ends but I hope she's in the slammer just for being a twit.

Wordsworth

Wordsworth

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

She didn't come off very well, did she? As a life-long Indianapolis resident, I wasn't too impressed with this episode. I had little sympathy for her.

ncw12371

ncw12371

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

Also, Sarah Pender seems pretty upbeat talking about these murders. Cracking jokes, trying to be witty. Not too endearing when you are trying to claim innocence. What a fool. If you want to seem innocent, try appearing like someone who is bummed about a double murder in your apartment. I don't even know how this ends but I hope she's in the slammer just for being a twit.

This was a good episode. Sarah Pender is an idiot. I love it when the women claim to have been manipulated into helping murder someone by their scary boyfriends, yet and as one of the detectives so aptly noted, do not tell anyone when they are in a sfae environment, such as work, about what said scary boyfriend did. Sorry, Sarah, you may not have pulled the trigger, but in the eyes of the law your actions still make you guilty of murder. Check the law before you commit your crimes, ladies.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 2:10 AM

Does anybody remember the case of a young couple that committed what seemed to be a thrill killing in a southern resort town. I think the girls name was Erica. I remember it because although there didn't seem to be anything in her past to explain why she would do such a thing, she was kind of creepy looking and gave me the willies. She had real short curly hair and kind of a pinched face. I don't know she just gave me the creeps. She looked so odd in photos, even ones taken before the crimes. I think the best the show came up with was she was a completely self-involved person who got wrapped up in her crazy boyfriend and they just went nuts together.

windy31

windy31

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

Yes I remember that one. She was a creep. She was obsessed with Hooters Restaurant. They named their snakes Satan, Hitler and HIV. Just seemed like horrendous people for no reason. She is one of the people on this show were I felt absolutely no sympathy.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

I'd forgotten about the snakes! Shudder! She had these small, dark eyes that made her look Demon possesed in photos. Her friends tried to pin the BF as the dominate manipulator, but I don't know. I could see her being the leader. Shudder.

Wordsworth

Wordsworth

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Ah,yes, Erika Sifrit and her husband Benjamin! You know you've got level-headed people in your family when they think that Hitler, Satan and HIV are neat-o names for pets!

I think their story's been done on every True Crime show out there.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2012 @ 1:25 AM

They were the stuff nightmares are made of. A young couple with some education and money who apparently robbed and killed people for no reason at all. They weren't broke or abused or anything and while the show implied some drug use it wasn't like they were in deep to a dealer or anything. Just two selfish sociopaths that decided a life of crime would be more fun. Gives me the creeps everytime I come across that episode. And snakes named Hitler, Satan and HIV! The fuck! God I'm glad they're locked up!

windy31

windy31

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

I agree that their story was beyond creepy. Most of the Snapped episodes center around some unhinged broad who kills her husband. This woman and her husband killed for fun. And her childhood seemed normal so how does it come to that? I am glad they were caught. The scrapbooking of the mementos from the killing and the grossly named pets were all too much.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Also, she wore her victim's jewelry, with the victims own blood still on it! And let's not forget that they dismembered their victims after killing them. Poor families only got an assortment of limbs and partial torsos to bury.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I have been looking for a thread for this show on TWOP for what feels like forever. I too am in the club of watching these shows so much, I've practically seen all the episodes. My Sunday ritual is to watch the marathon which my mom thinks is totally weird and creepy. I do give it a break every once in awhile when I start getting freaked out in my apartment, since I live alone. And I'm a veteran of City Confidential and American Justice too.

A couple of comments on some of the cases. I back-read a few pages and noticed some believe Elisha Hughes was guilty (she with the husband who got shot in the house while she and their two daughters were upstairs sleeping). That one was definitely one of those "I wonder" cases for me and I guess we'll never know the truth. She seemed so sweet and soft-spoken in her interview that you almost do want to believe she was innocent and by all accounts, there didn't seem to be any greed or really out of character, strange behavior from her after her husband died.

But still, the fact that someone got into the house, with apparently no forced entry, was able to shoot the guy and take off with no one seeing a thing within the few moments it took her to get downstairs seemed odd. There were the tire tracks that weren't explained but that could have just been someone driving by. For me, the thing that always made me most suspicious though, was that BOTH little girls never woke up throughout the ENTIRE drama...not when gun shots went off in their house, not when she ran downstairs and called police and not when the place was crawling with family and police members.

I wonder if they ever thought to test those girls and see if they were not given some children cold medicine or something to knock them out. And when I consider that, it then makes me believe that she pre-meditated his murder which damn... Again, definitely one of those "I don't know, I'm not sure" cases for me.

In terms of some of the scariest women/cases featured; for me it's definitely the crazy couple mentioned above; the woman who killed her first husband, the second one, then tried to kill her daughter and frame her for the murders; the one who buried the poor ex-husband in acid and the woman who murdered her husband who was dying of cancer and I believe got the death penalty and deservedly so. Because how wicked must you to be to brutally murder your husband who has terminal cancer. Evil.

Another case that I found fascinating was the one where the woman apparently pretended this other woman was stalking her husband and family by creating a fake email account and sending crazy emails to the family. I was especially amazed by the fact that she likely slept with the man's dead body in the house, got up and had breakfast with her son like normal and went to do household shopping with the son to create her alibi.

One case I thought was completely ridiculous was the pastor and his girlfriend who plotted to kill his wife and had his son do it. I could not believe this woman was still sitting there trying to say she wasn't guilty even after all the proof of so many things she'd lied about. She had no relationship with the man but they are arrested together in her bed a week after the wife's murder. It was not serious and there was no engagement but there are pictures of her happily trying on a wedding dress. I mean come on now.

Edited by lleykian54, Sep 2, 2012 @ 2:52 PM.

Unknown

Unknown

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

With regards to Kim Cunningham (who shot her daughter's molester), her victim should win a Darwin Award, for admitting to it and asking her, "What are you going to do about it?"

Keep in mind that he's saying this to the angry mother of his victim. Who's armed with a gun.

What the hell did he think she was gonna do?!?

I have three words for this guy, just three words: What. An. Idiot.

Edited by Unknown, Sep 2, 2012 @ 3:25 PM.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

The episode last week was insane. Stacey Castor was convicted of killing her 2nd husband and attempted murder on her daughter using antifreeze. Then the black screen said she was going to be tried for the killing of her 1st husband and they were looking into the death of her father.

I was vaguely familiar with this case(being semi-local to me), then while watching a different show about it last year, found out that I work with the first husband's sister(Rosemary Corbett). Talk about a mind-blower. Rosemary told me that they eventually decided not to try Stacey for her first husband's death so as not to put Ashley through another trial.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

I just caught the Sarah Pender case someone referenced above since I'd never seen it and holy cow, the poster was right. She was awfully perky and valley-girl at times considering she's been sentenced to over 100 years for a double murder. Honestly, girl was so smiley, perky and happy throughout the interview I was convinced she was going to get off.

I have to say though, call me crazy but I actually think she might be telling the truth and it's insane to me that the guy admits to forging the letter and her appeals for a denial was still rejected when the majority of the Prosecution's case was built on that letter.

I thought her story for why she bought the gun sounded plausible because the guy had a criminal record and so he probably would have some trouble purchasing a gun, especially if it was a store that actually did background checks as they should. She might have been in the house when the shooting happened but I really believe the shooting was all the boyfriend and even the idea. He and the guy probably were at odds over money and drugs and shit got out of hand one day.

rubyred

rubyred

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Re: Sarah Pender

I have to say though, call me crazy but I actually think she might be telling the truth and it's insane to me that the guy admits to forging the letter and her appeals for a denial was still rejected when the majority of the Prosecution's case was built on that letter.

I'm glad to see this because I found myself wondering about this one too. Not that I don't believe she was capable of being a leader and manipulator -- but the show did nothing to show me that that was true. I mean, pattern of behavior, "witness" accounts of her controlling him -- usually there's something like that but in this case there was nothing. It was like the court of public opinion was just, well of course she's the ringleader but there was no actual proof of that, just a very convenient confession letter supplied by her estranged boyfriend.

It's totally possible that she was the evil mastermind the cops and prosecution claimed she was, but they never showed me that, so why did the cops have such a bias against her? Either they left out something pretty damning (why?) or I don't know, they thought the boyfriend was too much of a meathead to have done it himself? She was damned by being too articulate?

Unfortunately her later escape from jail doesn't aid her claims much. I suppose it could be spun as the desperation of someone in prison for two consecutive life sentences but it could also come across as someone trying to escape their crime & punishment.

HenryUnderfoot

HenryUnderfoot

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

The Pender case was strange. I don't think she's innocent. She came off as a bit of a sociopath with how relaxed and smiley she was. It was really strange.

Just watched the Brittney Norwood episode. I had not heard about this at all and was shocked because I went to high school with her siblings. Her family was SO nice and have all made great lives for themselves. I was just shocked, the murder was so brutal and over the top on how she tried to cover it up. Very scary.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Just watched the Brittney Norwood episode. I had not heard about this at all and was shocked because I went to high school with her siblings. Her family was SO nice and have all made great lives for themselves. I was just shocked, the murder was so brutal and over the top on how she tried to cover it up. Very scary.

The Brittany Norwood case blew my mind. All that carnage over some yoga wear? I find it unbelievable that she didn't show some anti-social behavior in the past {other than the thefts mentioned} that her family over looked. What a horrific way to die. People just don't snap. That rage was percolating for a LONG time.

Edited by Patsy Stoned, Oct 17, 2012 @ 11:07 AM.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I agree. It was a horrific and extremely puzzling all at once. I do think Miss. Norwood was always a few cans short of a six pack for her to go nuts like that. I found it interesting that they didn't interview not one of her friends or family members for the story. The same can be said for the victim too. I'm sure the families were asked to participate. Perhaps they declined because what happened is still so fresh. I think it's only been a couple of years since it happened.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

I think it's only been a couple of years since it happened.

Try one year ago. I remember that story clearly as I was in Alexandria, VA at the time; just a train ride from D.C. so it was all over the media. My mom pegged her as the killer the second the initial story broke when she was supposedly just the victim of an attack that left her co-worker dead and her bruised. From day one, my mom was like, "something about this girl's story just doesn't add up".

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Interesting comment, lleykian54. I remember my mother, who lives in the DC area, telling me about this incident. Like a lot of elderly black people, she couldn't get over the idea that a black girl with an education would do something like this, as if an education was an inoculation against doing wrong in life. What made her go off and not just steal stuff, or hit the worker, or even some stupid stuff with a gun (one shot and it's all over in the heat of an argument), but to go buck wild on this poor girl? My mother didn't think Norwood should get off for her crime, but just thought that her family must be heartbroken (and the victim's family, too, my mother isn't an ass). Sadly, an education does not make you a decent person, nor does it save you from mental issues, if that is Norwood's problem. A terrible story all around.

Christie L

Christie L

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Re: Brittany Norwood-- I remember hearing about this on the news and was immediately suspicious. One girl beaten to death and another just has scratches and bruises? Please. But then I said the same thing about Dr. William Petit, so... LOL

I was hoping Brittany or a Norwood family member would be interviewed and explain wth happened. Murdering someone because they caught you stealing is a bit of an overreaction. :/

HenryUnderfoot

HenryUnderfoot

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

I knew 3 of the older Norwoods and I can't even imagine them agreeing to be on the show. Not their style.
Besides that, I think it was much too fresh a wound for both families.

Edited by HenryUnderfoot, Oct 21, 2012 @ 2:32 PM.

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

I agree. It was a horrific and extremely puzzling all at once. I do think Miss. Norwood was always a few cans short of a six pack for her to go nuts like that.

Yes, there was something simmering below that quiet cool surface for sure. It is strange enough that she continued stealing after being kicked out of college and losing a scholarship because of theft. One would think she would have learned a hard, cold lesson and had a new lease on life approaching 30 with a promising fitness career.

Just curious, if any one knows, whether it is typical policy now days for stores to have their employees check each others bags for stolen goods. I have not been in retail in over 15 years when I only knew of some stores that required employees to carry clear bags and cases. Not that I think the policy is at all responsible for the death of that poor woman--no one could have forseen that coming. It just seems a little odd to put employees in a somewhat awkward position of policing each other that way.

Edited by SpringTulips, Oct 22, 2012 @ 10:12 PM.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

Just curious, if any one knows, whether it is typical policy now days for stores to have their employees check each others bags for stolen goods. I have not been in retail in over 15 years when I only knew of some stores that required employees to carry clear bags and cases. Not that I think the policy is at all responsible for the death of that poor woman--no one could have forseen that coming. It just seems a little odd to put employees in a somewhat awkward position of policing each other that way.

I did retail one summer--J Jill. We had to have our bags inspected at the end of the evening. I was having medical issues and couldn't drive and didn't carry a handbag so it wasn't a problem for me, but my co-workers weren't happy at all. I always wondered who checked our manager's bag!

austentatious

austentatious

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

I worked for a large, fashionable department store in 1968 and we were required to have our bags checked each night as we left the store.
Back then stores downtown closed at 5 or 6 and there was a long line since everyone was leaving at once.
No fun, but I didn't think much about it since I wasn't inclined to steal from my first job out of high school.

So no, it's not something new.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 6:10 AM

I'm so shocked to hear some of these stories, though I know I probably shouldn't be at this point. I think it was Wendi Andriano, but not positive, where her husband was dying of cancer. She couldn't even wait a couple months at the most for him to die so she poisoned him, beat him and all sorts of stuff before he finally died. Then she claimed self-defense even though he was on his death bed. This woman was horrific.

As for the Ms. Norwood and the retail, where I worked the manager checked our bags before we left after our shift, then she showed us her bag if we were closing so we could see she was clean. Not to say manager couldn't be in cahoots, but there were practices in place.

Edited by katymo, Oct 24, 2012 @ 6:15 AM.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 8:10 AM

I worked for a large retailer about 10 years ago and we never had our purses inspected. We did have to carry clear purses. If we made purchases, they had to be made at the end of our shift and those bags had to be inspected as we left the building, but that was it.