TV Movies: Lifetime, Hallmark, All Around the Dial

• Please log in to reply

4236 replies to this topic

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 12:38 AM

Was that the one with Brendan Fehr? It wasn't bad but not memorable.
I really like Recipe for a Perfect Christmas that I have to hunt it down this year and watch it again. Plus 12 Dates of Christmas- love me some Mark Paul Gosselar.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 2:48 AM

Yes. A Christmas Kiss was the one with Brendan Fehr. I agree. There was nothing special about this one. While the main female protagonist decorating ideas for the male protagonist house sounded interesting, the finished result was uninspiring. It looked like any other generic Christmas display. The movie also didn't work because I felt like the male protagonist came off way too mature and sophisticated for her. Though Elizabeth Rohm's character was horrible, she was right in her assessment of the main female she came off like a cute young girl rather than a poor, yet sophisticated young woman who could easily transition into rich male protagonist world. Perhaps this was due to the actress, who looked significantly younger than Fehr and Rohm.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 3:41 AM

I have AT&T UVerse, which (boooo) does not carry the Hallmark Channel, and I don't have Netflix, so could any of you give me a heads up if "The Christmas Ornament" airs again? I want to see it so much. Thanks!!!

Edited by catlover79, Dec 2, 2013 @ 3:42 AM.

morning coffee

morning coffee

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 5:53 AM

I have AT&T UVerse, which (boooo) does not carry the Hallmark Channel, and I don't have Netflix, so could any of you give me a heads up if "The Christmas Ornament" airs again? I want to see it so much. Thanks!!!

It's on again today at 2:00 EST.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

I saw Christmas in Conway..... It was so sweet but not overly sappy. The acting was well done and it was certainly holiday appropriate. Best Hallmark movie in a while I say.
What's that movie with Joey Lawrence where he pretends to be engaged for Christmas to appease his sick grandmother?

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

I watched Christmas in Conway just for Andy Garcia and I agree, sweet but not overly sappy.  It may be a pre-existing afection for Andy Garcia, but I thought he did a great job of flipping from cranky curmedgeon to sweetie pie in a heartbeat. 

morning coffee

morning coffee

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

I saw Christmas in Conway..... It was so sweet but not overly sappy. The acting was well done and it was certainly holiday appropriate. Best Hallmark movie in a while I say.
What's that movie with Joey Lawrence where he pretends to be engaged for Christmas to appease his sick grandmother?

I believe that is Hitched For The Hoidays.

roseslg

roseslg

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

I watched the secret santa movie was well and kinda rolled my eyes at the Lake House twist.  It seems like some of the script was lifted word for word from that movie.  It was nice seeing black characters that weren't relegated to the best friend/sidekick and it was also nice to see a positive depiction of a gay relationship.  On a shallow note, what was up with Della Reese's hair?  yikes!!

BeetFarmGirl

BeetFarmGirl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 12:35 PM

The thing I remember most about The Christmas Kiss was that Elizabeth Rohm's hair looked awful the entire time, like she hadn't washed it in about a week.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

I liked a lot about The Christmas Kiss, except I couldn't get past the fact that the guy had to be an idiot not to have figured out that his girlfriend was a raging bitch in the first place. He couldn't have been much of a prize if he was willing to be with her. And then he was a total wimp when he just went along with her engagement announcement when she found the ring, even though he had kind of realized that he didn't feel that way about her, after all. I kind of wanted the heroine to tell him no thanks at the end. They were essentially doing Working Girl, but in that one, the guy was in the process of breaking up with the bitch girlfriend before it all started and he sided with the heroine when the revelations came out.

I started watching the ION movie that was on last night but had to bail within twenty minutes because I loathed both main characters, could see exactly where it was going, and had zero interest in going along for the journey. I don't remember the title, but it was the one about the pet company employees having to drive the spokesdog cross-country right before Christmas.

I have to say that none of the descriptions of this season's holiday movies are striking my fancy.

hlisy

hlisy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 5:39 PM

Yeah, the Christmas Kiss guy was kind of a dick- he never really did much with bitchy girlfriend but dangled everyone around with the ring. Ugh-didn't like him.

The PETCO Christmas was only made tolerable by spotting all the has-been 80s actors. That dog looked like Moose, that dog on Frasier. But the whole movie could be guessed in 15 min. Uptight woman meets laid back guy-Wackiness ensues. The actress looked like she had a face lift-very plastic and the idea that they could drive from DC to LA in 2.5 days and have wacky adventures-HA. As a DC resident< I did get a chuckle when they showed them leaving the city. First they showed Union Station-then after about 10 min they showed the Capitol. Basically they were going in circles. LOL. Feel asleep so I didn't see the ending but I think I knew what happened.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

Christmas in Conway was one I liked more than I expected.  I agree it's the best of the Hallmark movies on ABC this year.  The cast really was great to watch.

grneyedldy

grneyedldy

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

What is up with the over the top tacky Christmas decorations in the new Hallmark movies? Its like Christmas threw up. There's not an inch of wall left bare. One example was The Santa Suit.....the actors were practically tripping over the fake snow blankets on the sidewalks.

I've seen this over kill now in a few of the Hallmark Christmas movies. It seems to be just the new ones for this year. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 2:06 PM

The actress looked like she had a face lift-very plastic

I thought the guy looked even more face-lifted, like he was at least 45, trying to look 20, and had his face stretched to the limit. That made his "irresponsible son of the company president" routine even creepier. It might have worked if he'd really looked like a 20-something, 30 max, frat boy type who hadn't yet found himself. This guy looked like he was middle-aged but desperately clinging to his youth and irresponsibility, getting multiple facelifts while living in his father's house and doing nothing in his job, driving a mid-life crisis mobile.

aliconehead

aliconehead

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

I thought the guy looked even more face-lifted, like he was at least 45, trying to look 20, and had his face stretched to the limit. That made his "irresponsible son of the company president" routine even creepier. It might have worked if he'd really looked like a 20-something, 30 max, frat boy type who hadn't yet found himself. This guy looked like he was middle-aged but desperately clinging to his youth and irresponsibility, getting multiple facelifts while living in his father's house and doing nothing in his job, driving a mid-life crisis mobile.

He looks 45 because he is 45.  When they made the comment about him being 35, I decided to check.  I too thought he looked like he had a facelift.  One thing is for sure, Patrick Muldoon has not aged well. 

hlisy

hlisy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 7:34 PM

What is up with the over the top tacky Christmas decorations in the new Hallmark movies? Its like Christmas threw up. There's not an inch of wall left bare. One example was The Santa Suit.....the actors were practically tripping over the fake snow blankets on the sidewalks.

I've seen this over kill now in a few of the Hallmark Christmas movies. It seems to be just the new ones for this year. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

you mean like every square inch of the town has holiday decorations? Yes, I've noticed and it seems like overkill. Not to mention how much of the city budget all those decorations take up.

The whole thing seemed like it should be played by actors 10 years younger. Just all around weird. 

Edited by hlisy, Dec 3, 2013 @ 4:50 PM.

cristal77

cristal77

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

Has anyone seen Let It Snow with Candace Cameron? - It is any good? Thanks.

Pacodakat

Pacodakat

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

So far I'm not enjoying the rotation of Christmas movies on Hallmark this year. I know they don't assume that people like me will watch the channel all day so they are repeating some of the movies but I also know that there has to be more Christmas movies then what they've shown so far. If nothing else, rotate the old holiday movies in with the new ones. I'm all about the sappy but some of these are so over the top I can't deal. I treat these movies like mini romance, Christmas themed novels so I was looking forward to more varying types of stories, like maybe Western romance Christmas themed. Old west or more modern ranch hand western. How about pre-war farming love stories. Hallmark showed a movie about a college student that becomes pregnant and has to marry this farmer guy in the 40's or 50's I think. A peek in on their family for the holidays would have been lovely. I loved Hitched for the holidays it felt just right in terms of sappiness and sweetness. The Christmas window felt like a VHS tape was found behind the cabinets of some old studio and they inserted it into the rotation. It really looked cheap. I wasn’t crazy about the actors either.

Watching The Christmas Ornament made me feel really old, Kellie Martin looks so old. I wasn’t crazy about the movie because it was a little Melancholy. Christmas movies for the depressed. Although the year ‘round Santa ranch sounded awesome,

On a positive note I loved the Candace Cameron movie, (with Alan Thicke!) I would love a Growing pains reunion Christmas movie. The Seavers were a fun family and Candace could be a cousin of the family.

Boy do I need a hobby. J

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

Has anyone seen Let It Snow with Candace Cameron? - It is any good? Thanks.

It has been discussed on the past few pages.

Jayson79

Jayson79

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

Guess I'll have to dvr the Candace Cameron movie.  Did anyone watch the Nicholette Sheridan movie?  Was that any good?

Dezdemona

Dezdemona

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

Watching The Christmas Ornament made me feel really old, Kellie Martin looks so old.  - Pacodakat

Kellie looks so much older than the 37 her bio claims.  Watching this movie, I had her pegged for mid-forties and it kept taking me out of the story.  She certainly has the neck, jowls and loose skin of a woman in her forties.   In any case, I think that role needed to be played by an actress around the age of 30, who looked that age and not older.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 12:33 AM

Actually, Kellie Martin just turned 38 in October, I believe. In her case, I think she may have spent the past few years in the sun because it was just a few years ago that she looked TOO young for her age.

Re: Candace Cameron-Bure playing a Seaver cousin, I remember the first season of "Full House" when her brother Kirk played a Tanner cousin. So that would be fun and a nice wink to the audience if they ever do another GP reunion show, but I think that ship has already sailed.

dcinmb

dcinmb

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 1:18 AM

Haven't had a chance to watch "The Christmas Ornament" yet but I really enjoyed Kellie Martin and Ethan Erickson in "I Married Who?"  Other faves include "Comfort and Joy," "Holiday Affair" with David James Elliott, "A Season For Miracles," "A Bride For Christmas," "Fallen Angel" with Gary Sinise, "Borrowed Hearts" and the aforementioned "12 Dates of Christmas" and "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

Pacodakat

Pacodakat

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

Actually, Kellie Martin just turned 38 in October, I believe. In her case, I think she may have spent the past few years in the sun because it was just a few years ago that she looked TOO young for her age.

I guess the character is supposed to be kind of depressed and kind of hang dog and I get that but the premise and her appearance made it too much for me. I hate criticizing actresses for their looks (even though I called her old) I love movies that have 30 and 40 year old actresses that are the main love interest.

Just don't look haggard.

Edited by Pacodakat, Dec 4, 2013 @ 7:56 PM.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 8:50 PM

Agreed. Plus, she really is one of the few child actresses to grow up on TV and maintain a successful career in the medium as an adult. The glasses I wore in middle school were red-framed, so I always called them "Becca glasses" in homage to her "Life Goes On" character. ;-)

Also, it doesn't seem like a lot of her Hallmark movies have really lit her well or give her flattering makeup, because if you've seen her on TV interviews promoting this movie, she looks much better.

Edited by catlover79, Dec 4, 2013 @ 8:52 PM.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 9:52 PM

Watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on ABC Family. I had forgotten how wonderfully funny this movie is. I LMAO when the squirrel got loose in the house and it and the Rotweiller ended up landing on Julia Louis Dreyfus' chest. There are many other funny moments in the movie besides this one. It IMHO, is one of John Hughes' best. Great, fun Christmas movie.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 5:31 AM

Kellie Martin's aging was weird, because she was similar to her contemporary Melissa Joan Hart in being someone who looked young for their age up to their early 30's. She started looking old, I thought, in No Brother of Mine, while Melissa Joan Hart looks more like a typical mid-30something now. Probably the best aged of those TV movie starlets who were 90's teen stars has to be Candace Cameron Burre- she looks absolutely fantastic with flawless skin. I guess clean Christian living will do that for you.

One thing is for sure, Patrick Muldoon has not aged well.

It is truly a shame. He was so beautiful in the 1990's on Melrose Place. His surfer tan was hot in the 1990's, but you eventually pay for it.

Edited by MethodActor05, Dec 5, 2013 @ 5:32 AM.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Candace has always been a beautiful girl, but at 37 she looks even more stunning now than ever. Speaking of MJH, I'm surprised her BFF Kellie hasn't popped up on "Melissa and Joey" yet. Have they ever appeared in a MOV together?

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 11:32 PM

I do like that Candace seems to be reviving her T.V. Movie career- I'm guessing it's because her kids aren't little anymore as she had them pretty young (according to Wiki, her kids are about 15, 13, and 11) and she hasn't made an ass of herself with her Christian beliefs like her brother has.

I think my favorite Candace film was the one where she pretends that the ghost of a dead girl who just happens to look exactly like she did is possessing her, because the guy who killed said dead girl manipulated her into doing it so that she could throw shade away from him. It seems invariable that something dramatic always happens when someone shows up who just happens to look exactly like a dead person.

I've never been able to get through the one where Kevin Arnold buries DJ Tanner in the woods after abusing her for months, though. I also haven't seen the one where Zack Morris rapes her, and Six from Blossom was raped as well. It seemed like whenever Six from Blossom showed up in a movie of a week, she was the college friend that something bad happens to because of how needy and Queen of the Wannabees she was.

Edited by MethodActor05, Dec 6, 2013 @ 12:41 AM.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2013 @ 12:31 AM

Never mind.

Edited by cmm226, Dec 6, 2013 @ 1:38 AM.