TV Movies: Lifetime, Hallmark, All Around the Dial

• Please log in to reply

4236 replies to this topic

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

LMN ran The Surrogate last night. Apart from Cameron Mathison's "duh face of the year" (to borrow a phrase from the girls at Serial Drama), this was remarkably goofy even by Lifetime standards--and that's before you ever got to the pregnant crazy woman trying to snipe someone with a hunting rifle.

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

I have a pet peeve. I hate movies that drag along throwing problem after problem at the characters until one hour and fifty-five minutes when everything seems to be resolved. Most often there are more questions raised than answered. It's like the end was just chopped off because they ran our of time.

I finally watched Hallmark's Our Wild Hearts last night. Without describing the whole contrived plot in detail, here are the major conflicts. A ranch owner (Ricky Shroder) will lose his ranch if he can't catch Bravo, a very special wild horse. He plans in selling him to (I guess) a wealthy breeder in Texas. His previously unknown daughter shows up and has an instant rapport with Bravo. She wants Bravo to be free. A bunch if things transpire, including an evil neighbor who first wants to capture Bravo and then wants to kill him. In the last five minutes the wealthy Texan decides to start a wild horse sanctuary where Bravo can live. But they then show the whole gang letting Bravo go. They are wearing what they were wearing in the previous scene, so they are obviously not in Texas. What happened to the sanctuary idea? If they Bravo was just let loose won't the neighbor keep trying to kill him? If Ricky Shroder doesn't sell Bravo won't he lose the ranch?

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 9:56 AM

Did Bravo have a horn growing out of his forehead?

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

Yes he did -- and a rainbow tail.

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

I may DVR Remember Sundays. Looks cute, but haven't liked the last few CBS Hallmark movies

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

While watching "Remember Sunday", did anyone else want Gus to ask Molly, "Hey, did you ever see '50 First Dates'?"

But Zach Levi is a cutie and it was great to see Merritt Weaver.

Jayson79

Jayson79

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

I loved "Remember Sunday" and I also was expecting Gus to ask Molly if she'd ever seen "50 First Dates". It could have been the perfect way to illustrate what he was going to tell her.

Now Zach Levi's sister was played by the actress from Nurse Jackie, yes? I haven't seen that show in awhile but I thought it was her.

I'm guessing that the ending has a bittersweet undertone to it, yet also showing the true essence of love. I do think that this movie played the concept more serious then "50 First Dates" did, but I just loved Zach Levi and Alexis Bleidel. I was flashing back to my college days while watching them act together.

Makes me wish that the networks played tv movies more often and employed current tv stars in them like in the old days. An era gone by I guess.

Edited by Jayson79, Apr 21, 2013 @ 11:29 PM.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:47 AM

That's a direct by-product of the decline and cancellation of soap operas...when soap operas were very lucative, that money tended to go into high-production value t.v. movies with well-known stars.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

I finally watched Lifetime's Call Me Crazy: A Five Film, which I'd had saved on TiVo for several days. It deals with various forms of mental illness, and is the second installment after the movie Five, which was about breast cancer. I didn't see it.

I was trepidatious about the movie because I struggle with depression (have my whole life) and it and other mental illnesses are generally not portrayed...well...in movies (pun not intended), particularly those on Lifetime. There were some positive aspects to the movie, namely that one can get help/"recover", albeit if one has insurance and a strong support system.

Negatively, I felt there was an underlying theme that the characters somehow brought on their "episodes" because they chose to not take their medication. Managing one's illness is a process and it's true that fighting against treatment is usually part of mental illness. It just seemed a little "blamey" that each one of the characters relapsed because of not maintaining their treatment plan. It's just not that simple in real life.

There were tons of stars in the film. Brittany Snow was excellent in her role, appearing in three of the five different tales. Sofia Vassilieva (the oldest daughter on Medium) played her sister; she was terribly annoying, but then, I've found her annoying in everything I've every seen her in. Jennifer Hudson was the feature of another tale, and I thought she was dismal, but I generally don't get her appeal.

I would recommend it as a fairly accurate portrayal of mental illness. I felt for the characters and I wept for them and myself.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:03 PM

I finally watched the movie too, and thought it was well done for the most part. I really didn't get the idea that the people were being blamed, just that struggling with medication issues is a huge part of mental illness. Medication has many side effects, people who are already in a bad place may not see the value of taking it and so on. I'm glad that it showed some hope, without being over the top with happy endings.

I did want to know more about Jason Ritter's character and wanted some back story on his issues. I have to agree that Jennifer Hudson is not a good actress and her part of the film dragged for me even though it dealt with a timely and important issues. I wondered why some stars even bothered to be in it for such small parts like Melanie Griffiths.

I cried the most at the part with Sarah Hyland and Melissa Leo as the bipolar mom. My own mom wasn't bipolar but had other issues and I could totally relate to not bringing people home etc.

Miss Steph

Miss Steph

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 12:34 AM

I wondered why some stars even bothered to be in it for such small parts like Melanie Griffiths.

And Dave Foley! He popped up for a second in the Eddie segment.

I agree that Brittany Snow was excellent.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 12:25 PM

I may have projected (therapy speak!) the "blame" feeling, but it felt that while there was a message of "It's not your fault if you are mentally ill", nevertheless three of four main characters were in their respective "black holes", so to speak, because they'd chosen to go off meds and/or change/stop treatment. So the message felt like, "It's not your fault, but really, it is," which is ultimately what it feels like (in American society) to be mentally ill. One does make choices (to seek/continue treatment, etc.) but one's disease makes choices for them sometimes, and that is part of the constant struggle.

Again, I projected!

vinyl

vinyl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 5:21 PM

Would love to catch this movie. Does anyone know when it will be shown again?

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

I looked back about 15 pages and saw no mention of one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. The Haunting Passion

Not sure why I love it but the shower scene has stayed with me since 1984. Wish I could get visited in the shower like that...Anyway, I found it on YouTube and got sucked in again...It drags in spots and Jayne Seymour plays like a zombie ate her soul in a few scenes but overall, it's not too bad. The thing that's hard for me to watch is Gerald Mccraney. He's downright skinny in this one...and again gets typecast as a hard-ass type character...
So, if you're bored, check it out...It's on YouTube in full...

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 3:27 PM

vinyl, I don't see Call Me Crazy posted in TiVo's schedule for the next two weeks. I don't have digital cable, so no OnDemand--I don't know if it's there in Lifetime's selections. Lifetime tends to run their movies over again after a few months, so just keep a look out.

Jayson79

Jayson79

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

I clicked on the link for The Haunting Passion and will book mark it for future viewing. I noticed a link for The Haunting of Sarah hardy and it takes me back to watching USA back in 1989 or 1990 when this movie played.

Sela Ward plays Sarah Hardy who is still dealing with the memories of her mother's suicide as a child. She ends up getting married and starts to see visions of her deceased mother which brings up questions if she is being haunted, going crazy, or something else. Also starred Morgan Fairchild as her long time best friend. Still remember the ending, and always wondered what happened next. Shame a followup was never made.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

That reminded me of another "Sarah" movie--The Initiation of Sarah, a cheesetastic movie where a girl and her fraternal twin sister(?), played by Summer Glau, pledge a sorority their freshman year. Morgan Fairchild is the sorority's evil mother figure/house mother. Jennifer Tilly is another sorority mother.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

Call Me Crazy was produced by Jennifer Aniston, among other well-known actors, which I think is why so many other well-known actors had relatively small roles. It's fun to check-out IMDB and figure out the 6 Degrees of why each actor signed on.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 12:31 AM

I rented Steel Magnolias. My daughter and I liked it for the most part, but we wished we could have seen more of Annelle and Sammy. His line "I'd rather eat dirt" cracks me up every time. I also missed the Easter egg hunt scene. It gave the "Life goes on" feel to the story.

DangerousMinds

DangerousMinds

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 12:50 AM

I am still hoping to see "Call Me Crazy" but it seems Lifetime isn't going to rebroadcast it any time soon. They play so many crappy movies, but can't bring this one back?

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

Wait...nothing on Behind the Candelabra which premiered tonight?

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 11:29 PM

I'm a fan of lifetime movies (usually as background when I'm cleaning), but I have been chuckling lately at some of the lifetime actress staples that are often referred to as beautiful. I watched The Perfect Boss with Jamie Luner (almost exactly like The Perfect Wife with Jamie Luner) and I think she is a pretty good actress but in all her films she is called beautiful. Handsome, perhaps, but not beautiful.  Also saw two separate films with Botti Bliss  (the Perfect Roommate) and she was also described as beautiful. Not even close. Last but not least, we have Sidney Penny who to me looks like a man. Beauty is hard to come by on lifetime.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 12:50 AM

Wait...nothing on Behind the Candelabra which premiered tonight?

I've been looking for this thread to post about the movie.  I really liked it.  Damon was great, but Douglas was fantastic.  Considering that the script was based on Scott Thorsen's book, the movie was remarkably even handed in demonstrating that both Thorsen and Liberace were horrible to each other.  It was also great opportunity to see how far gay rights have progressed and how far they have to go.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 2:09 AM

I thought Behind the Candelabra was good, too. I've ever heard Liberace speak. Is Douglas nailing it? I thought he gave a great performance, I'm just not sure how accurate. 

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 2:35 AM

Oh I think it was pretty good imitation of Liberace's style.

I thought the movie was good too.  The performances were good but I do wonder if it would have been better had they hired someone more age appropriate for Scott.  Matt did look a bit younger.  Nevertheless, the movie did a good job of selling the rise and fall of a relationship.

Strangely, the biggest impression I got was how hot I thought Scott Bakula looked (minus the stache.) 

Fraoch

Fraoch

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 9:08 AM

Rob Lowe killed me every time he was on screen. I thought Michael Douglas was fantastic, as was the makeup artist -- I gasped when Scott visited him for the last time.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 9:14 AM

Beauty is hard to come by on lifetime.

Perhaps it was all used up by John Stamos? He seems to be in every other movie they air.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

I loved Behind the Candelabra.  I think this is what Liz & Dick tried to be, with the passionate love affair and all the extravagance, but, well, they failed miserably.  This movie nailed it.

Edited by Rdnzl, May 27, 2013 @ 9:58 AM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

I loved Behind the Candelabra.  I think this is what Liz & Dick tried to be, with the passionate love affair and all the extravagance, but, well, they failed miserably.  This movie nailed it.

I think so too.

Although, perhaps this is my naive 21st century self speaking, but how did the public never "know" Liberatche was gay? How did none of his dalliances never expose him? It wasn't like he had one or two committed relationships in his time, I'm sure some if those pretty young boys would've loved to sell him out once they got tired of him....

Edited by scarlett45, May 27, 2013 @ 10:02 AM.

clawdette

clawdette

Video Archivist

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

I enjoyed the movie, too.  While most people suspected that Liberace was gay, this was a time where information flowed less freely.  Media didn't delve deeply into personal lives less they be lumped in the same category as the National Enquirer, which at the time had no credibility at all.  Individuals with gossip to share had a harder time getting their stories out there.

Scott Bakula looked great.  And Rob Lowe was perfect and the perfectly creepy plastic surgeon.  While I could hear Michael Douglas' voice in his interpretation of Liberace, he nailed Lee's voice patterns and pitch.  Matt Damon was great, too.