Fore!: Golf Coverage on Television

• Please log in to reply

448 replies to this topic

bluejaylove

bluejaylove

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 6:50 PM

I was hoping that Tiger would win (as always), but I was glad that Phil won and that Fred Couples was in contention. Maybe Tiger will win next year.

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 7:10 PM

I know a lot of people really like him, but Mickelson just comes off as such a phony that he really ticks me off. Ticks me off to the point that I actually turned off the final round half way through.

It's not just you. GQ listed the most hated people in sports and, among the players, Phil ranked number 8--out of ALL professional sportsmen. Lead paragraph:

Last August at the PGA Championship at Baltusrol, in New Jersey, a reporter turned to a golfer on the tour and said of Phil Mickelson, “Man, the fans here love Phil.” The golfer replied, “They don’t know him the way we do.” It blew our minds a little when we heard this, since Mickelson ranks among the most admired golfers in America. But today the same reporter makes his case bluntly: “Phil Mickelson literally has no friends out there. He annoys everybody.”

And it gets worse.

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 7:22 PM

It's so anticlimatic when anyone but Tiger has a lead. I am happy for Phil, but I wish Fred, Vijay, Tiger, Retief, somebody could have made some putts and put a little drama in it.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 7:47 PM

Wow, I had no idea people didn't like Phil. It seemed like he was chatting away with everyone he played with this week; maybe they were just being polite.

I believe the Masters music was written by Dave Loggins.

bluejaylove

bluejaylove

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 8:33 PM

Yeah, I had no idea, either. My girlfriend just raves and raves about how nice Phil is and how he's just a great guy to the point that it's kind of sickening and she essentially thinks that Tiger is the devil incarnate and that he's an asshole.

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 9:54 PM

Mickelson is not popular among the Tour players because he thinks he's an intellectual, and initiates conversations about scientific and other similar subjects that no one cares about. Also, Mickelson is a degenerate gambler, and will propose bets for huge amounts that others can't handle.

For having gone to good colleges, and being well-spoken compared to many other athletes, golfers are rather simple people and care about little else. (Many of us know how golf can take over your life, and we're part-time amateurs.) Their main recreations are fishing and hunting, and many are rather thrifty, because income is not guaranteed. (For second-level players, their endorsements usually require that their standings improve to keep the same money.) Mickelson lives in California, instead of Texas or Florida, and is suspect for paying all those state income taxes, and living in a liberal state. (As wealthy, self-employed professionals, most golf pros are country-club Republicans.) So, they have nothing in common with Mickelson, and among them, he acts above it all, and "better" than the other pros.

I like Mickelson because he plays to win, gives good honest interviews, and I've never heard that he cheats on his wife, or is a mean drunk.

Frank Chircanian got together with the Augusta National leadership (Mr. Clifford Roberts) to create a unique production, different from the other tournaments, and reflective of the "class" self-image of the Augusta National Golf Club.

Edited by SamPJackson, Apr 9, 2006 @ 9:58 PM.

bk102087

bk102087

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

Mickelson is not popular among the Tour players because he thinks he's an intellectual, and initiates conversations about scientific and other similar subjects that no one cares about. Also, Mickelson is a degenerate gambler, and will propose bets for huge amounts that others can't handle.

The gambling part rings entirely true to me about Phil. Stories of his sports betting are pretty well known. And I'm sure he gambles big money on his side games as well.

Phil has always struck me as a nice guy, the gambling notwithstanding. He seems to like to be friendly to everybody. Always trying to talk to his playing partner. I don't think that's fake at all. I think he's a rather sociable guy who enjoys conversation. I don't think he could fake that.

Now I do think he's a bit of a camera whore. No scratch that he's a complete camera whore. Remember at Doral a year ago when he waited until they had played 5 holes to shake Tiger's hand? Conviently he did so at the same moment the tv coverage started.

So basically he's always come off as a perfectly nice phony to me. Hey someone can be fake and cool at the sametime right? I think so.

SenatorTCJ

SenatorTCJ

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 11:50 PM

Oh, and Jim Nantz (speaking of phony) should never be allowed near a golf tournament ever again. He's become excruciating to listen to.

But he's a tradition unlike any other! Oh wait...

Nantz came to my campus last year to introduce Mike Krzyzewski at a speech he was giving. Nantz sounded like a phony then too. It was a good introduction, but it was all in that fakey-announcerish voice.

hindymom

hindymom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 6:18 AM

I used to like Phil a lot, but lately he's beginning to bug me. The happy family pictures are starting to look phony. His smile is starting to look more like a smirk (think George W.). And would someone please learn how to dress him! Those pants that don't fit have got to go! I always root for Tiger and when he was out of it yesterday I would have liked to have seen Freddie won.

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 10:00 AM

Phil isn't popular with his fellow Tour pros for the same reason Tiger isn't: Jealousy. If he were as bad a guy as that GQ article would have us believe, wouldn't there be some annecdotal evidence of him treating people poorly or cheating or something? But I guess the fact that he smiles for the TV cameras is supposed to make us hate him? And who reads GQ for their sports coverage, anyway? Is Golf Digest ranking man purses now?

On Topic: I'm sure glad I have the TV around to inform me that Tiger would have won by 15 strokes if his dad wasn't sick. Otherwise, I might have made the mistake of thinking Phil actually won by playing some damn good golf.

Edited by GooberPyle, Apr 10, 2006 @ 10:02 AM.

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 11:10 AM

I can't believe that the serious golf reporters are OK with the all-Tiger, all-the-time coverage. Every stroke of his gets covered, whether he's in contention or not. I guess there are now people who don't watch golf on TV, they watch Tiger on TV.

Here's a different take on Mickelson's popularity. I don't know why people rag on his family life. Almost every successful athlete has an attractive blond wife, which leads to attractive blond children. Some golfers, wives, and children travel the Tour a lot (every tournament is required to have a childcare center on-property, so wives can go on the course without children when they wish) and some "leave Daddy alone while he's working so hard". Phil's family is not unique. Maybe people just envy the apparent perfection of his life. They were happier when he was collapsing on Sunday afternoon.

Edited by SamPJackson, Apr 10, 2006 @ 12:01 PM.

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 1:05 PM

If he were as bad a guy as that GQ article would have us believe, wouldn't there be some annecdotal evidence of him treating people poorly or cheating or something?

But there is anectodal evidence, like when Vijay ratted him out on his spikes last year. Or the author of A Good Walk Unspoiled, who calls him "Eddie Haskell". And that's just the first couple Google hits.

I'm sure he's not in the same league as Barry Bonds, T.O., and Latrell Spreewell, but there have been stories about him for a long time.

bk102087

bk102087

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 1:23 PM

But there is anectodal evidence, like when Vijay ratted him out on his spikes last year. Or the author of A Good Walk Unspoiled, who calls him "Eddie Haskell". And that's just the first couple Google hits.

Well the title of the book has Spoiled in it not Unspoiled.

All Feinstein said was Phil has more edge than he lets on to the public. Then he goes on to say it's a compliment.

I hardly see how Feinstein was in anyway ragging on Phil. Plus one of the things I like about Feinstein is he always seems to like everybody he writes about. That's why he's a great writer he understands that everybody has a story to tell. I hardly think a writer as prolific as Feinstein would in anyway say anything truely negative about a player as well-known as Phil. Just wouldn't do him any good.

And Vijay? Well......he bitches about everything. It's kind of laughable. He famously talked about "not wanting to lose to a women." When they let Annika play in that one event a couple of years ago.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 1:29 PM

Mickelson played great, and it was exciting to watch him win. Watching him putting on the green jacket, with Tiger just behind him... his head is YOOGE. It's like almost twice as big as Tiger's head! When did he get so, uh, portly? He's always sported the man boobs but they looked even more prominent than they have in the past. The horrible greasy looking hair, the clothes that don't fit, the ever increasing jowls.

I guess when you make millions maybe you don't care to maintain? He's a great player, but he needs a stylist.

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 3:08 PM

But there is anectodal evidence, like when Vijay ratted him out on his spikes last year.

That's only evidence of Vijay being a whiner. A rules official checked Phil's spikes on the spot, and found nothing wrong with them.

I've heard Feinstein call Phil 'Eddie Haskell' several times, but as bk102087 wrote, he's just referring to Phil's tendency to be a bit disengenuous with the press. I've read a couple of Feinstein's golf books and heard him interviewed countless times, and he typically has nice things to say about Phil. And John Feinstein almost never has nice things to say about anyone.

bk102087

bk102087

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 3:14 PM

And John Feinstein almost never has nice things to say about anyone.

When has Feinstein not had nice things to say about people?

I mean he's certainly willing to critcize. He basically wrote a 80 page book lambasting Tiger's dad and going nuts on the way Tiger's people were handling his career.

But I don't think I've ever read anything by Feinstein where he didn't say nice things about alot of people.

"Open" was practically a loveletter to the USGA.

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 3:41 PM

Let's remember that Vijay was the one who had a disciplinary episode on the Australasian Tour, I believe, when he was starting out. And yes, Phil's spikes were conforming. (It would be hard to make non-conforming golf spikes. The tooling cost would be huge.)

Most of us look greasy after playing and walking 34 holes in one day, particularly with ~$1,000,000.oo on the line (plus a side bet to make it interesting) {Freddy probably lost either 10 large or 1% of Ashworth.}. Yes, if it weren't for Tim Herron, Lefty would be "Lumpy". Of course, you could look at some old pictures of Nicklaus like this, when Arnie's fans called him "Fat Boy". You want to see some man-boobs; wait until the middle of the summer when Phil plays in a white golf shirt with no undershirt! Tiger's golf slacks are tailored, cost $X00 each, and have cuffs to make them hang better.

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2006 @ 9:11 PM

When has Feinstein not had nice things to say about people?

Well, I was being a little hyperbolic there. But if you want to listen to Tony Kornheiser's radio show (www.sportstalk980.com, M-F 9-11 EST), Feinstein is usually on Wednesday mornings. And he typically uses his time to rail against whoever he's pissed at that day - including Tony, often. Unfortunately, Tony's show will only be on a couple more weeks.

Also, there's a reason why Feinstein and Bob Knight don't speak and a reason why he's only recently been welcomed back to ESPN's airwaves. He was very critical of the network for a while and pissed them off enough that he got the Keith Olberman treatment for several years.

I like Feinstein's work, generally. My only point was that he knows Phil better than most folks in the media do, and he's at least as willing to be critical of him as the others are. But he's generally complimentary to Phil.

Edited by GooberPyle, Apr 10, 2006 @ 9:11 PM.

skeevo666

skeevo666

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2006 @ 8:06 PM

He famously talked about "not wanting to lose to a women." When they let Annika play in that one event a couple of years ago.

Heh. After that comment, eveytime Vijay would lose a tournament (esp. after starting out well) my Mom would attribute it to a "voodoo hex" put on him by female golf fans!

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 7:10 PM

I know a lot of people really like him, but Mickelson just comes off as such a phony that he really ticks me off. Ticks me off to the point that I actually turned off the final round half way through. But, again, that's my issue and he's certainly one helluva golfer.

I agree about Mickelson. He strikes me as a tremendous phony. I suspect he's got his good qualities too, but the phoniness is really palpable. I've read a number of anecdotes on the Google golf board about him being widely disliked and a phony.

The most disturbing thing about him, however, is how unbelievably popular he is with golf fans. WTF? It's comparable to how much people are inclined to like Bush, and it freaks me out that so many people are taken in by such obvious phoniness.

That said, I'd prefer that someone with his skills fulfill his promise. I don't want to watch it, but I hate to see great talent wasted.

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 9:38 PM

That said, I'd prefer that someone with his skills fulfill his promise. I don't want to watch it, but I hate to see great talent wasted.

For years, Phil was TBPNTHWAM, but he has won two of the last three Masters, played nine times this year, winning two and finishing top 10 in four others. He has won the last two majors. Last year, he played in 21 tournaments, made 20 cuts, and won four times, including the US Open. What a slacker!

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 10:32 PM

For years, Phil was TBPNTHWAM, but he has won two of the last three Masters, played nine times this year, winning two and finishing top 10 in four others. He has won the last two majors. Last year, he played in 21 tournaments, made 20 cuts, and won four times, including the US Open. What a slacker!

SamP, you misunderstand me. Although I dislike Phil, I'm glad on some level to see that he's fulfilling his promise. Because winning two majors in a row is doing rather well. [/sarcasm]

bk102087

bk102087

Posted Apr 13, 2006 @ 12:25 AM

Last year, he played in 21 tournaments, made 20 cuts, and won four times, including the US Open. What a slacker!

<nitpick> He didn't win the US Open, Micheal Campell did. You're probably thinking of the PGA Championship at Baltusrol which Phil did in fact win.</nitpick>

Edited by bk102087, Apr 13, 2006 @ 12:26 AM.

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Apr 13, 2006 @ 10:01 AM

Harry, I mis-understood
I have never MET Phil or Tiger, though I have followed them at tournaments.
I kind of like Phil's 'tude that it's kind of silly to pay people $x,000,000 to play a game they'd play to play if they had to; but he'll take the money, marry the beautiful blond, lease the plane, and play golf with jock-sniffers for $5,000 per (and a side bet) as long as the silliness lasts. I find Tiger's concentration and desire for privacy to be a little off-putting, since all the revenue in tournament golf is advertising driven.

bk, I stand corrected. US Open is next, 6/15-18. Phil needs to win it to keep going for a Tiger Slam (winning all 4 majors consecutively, but not in one calendar year). The problem is that the Masters and the PGA have the weakest fields of the four majors, so it gets harder.

Fly_On_TheWall

Fly_On_TheWall

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2006 @ 11:08 AM

My son is a big Phil and Tiger fan. After Vijays comment about losing to a girl, my son came up with a nickname for him that we keep using still today. He calls Vijay "The Big Stink". No reason why, but it cracks us up. He can't stand The Big Stink.

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 3:41 PM

At lunchtime, I was reading the Sports Illustrated with Phil Mickelson on the cover. It said that on Sunday afternoon, when Phil made a birdie on the back nine and pulled away from the pack, there was a joyful roar, because "Tiger may be respected, but Phil is beloved".

Obviously, not many of you on this forum had tickets to The Masters on Sunday.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 8:48 PM

Phil is beloved

As I mentioned before, this is what creeps me out the most. That so many people just love this guy. [shudder]

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Apr 19, 2006 @ 2:29 PM

Basically, it's academic. If you're not a top-level professional athlete yourself, you're never going to get to really know these guys, particularly if you get into a PGA Tour pro-am for selling $10,000,000. of something. So, the choice is between real fake and fake fake. Machts nichts.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 2:07 PM

Earl Woods (Tiger's dad) has died. Expect a bit of coverage on this.

bluejaylove

bluejaylove

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2006 @ 2:36 PM

Aww, man, that's sad. That's all I have to say. :(