Fore!: Golf Coverage on Television

• Please log in to reply

448 replies to this topic

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Wow NBC coverage blows. Where is the golf? I know they are waiting for Tiger but show some golf instead of stupid commentary we don't give a shit about. This is going to be a long weekend

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

This would never happen at Augusta.
The look on Costas' face is gold.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

Congratulations to Els, he outlasted some of the best and proved that he isn't done just yet. It's just a shame people are giving more credit to him winning because Adan choked than Ernie just apply pressure and outlasting him where it counted most in this game, mentally.

Stevie Williams should not have a job after this major. The way he behaved out on the course was embarrassing and a disgrace. I don't know what he supposedly brings to Adam game to make it worth being treated with such disrespect, so publicly, by a man who just carries your clubs and charts yardages, it's ridiculous.

The media I know was so licking their chops, ready to pounce if Scott won so they could go on and on about he and Stevie beating Tiger together.

And can I just say Paul A annoys the hell out of me? Why does he always find it so necessary to bring up how he's "been there" with so many players, about so many situations and shots?

When Scott missed the putt on 18 of course he just had to bring up his own experience. Can't stand the guy.

jtenny123

jtenny123

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Stevie Williams should not have a job after this major. The way he behaved out on the course was embarrassing and a disgrace. I don't know what he supposedly brings to Adam game to make it worth being treated with such disrespect, so publicly, by a man who just carries your clubs and charts yardages, it's ridiculous.

I agree. I have detested Williams ever since his racist comments about Tiger Woods and thought he was appalling on the course. I'm neither here nor there about Adam Scott, but I'm glad that Williams wasn't with the winning golfer.

Edited by jtenny123, Jul 23, 2012 @ 12:39 AM.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

Stevie Williams should not have a job after this major. The way he behaved out on the course was embarrassing and a disgrace.

What did he do?

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 3:34 AM

What did he do?

Adam later told the media, after the final round, that after one of his poorer shots Stevie berated him over it, which to me proves two things, Adam is incredibly passive and Stevie is even more blocked headed than I thought because when your player is falling to pieces, mentally especially, on the course the last thing he needs is to be attacked and reminded of how badly he is screwing up.

Also Stevie often left Adam standing alone on the tee, a few times he had to basically hurry to catch up with him, carrying his own driver or some other club because Stevie refused to wait for him and do his actual job as caddie, especially when they were coming down the last few holes, when Adam kept bogeying. It was as if Adam was letting Stevie down and he was letting everyone know it and didn't care.

Obviously Adam should have won this major, and I am thinking Stevie had more to do with him losing than any one in his camp will care to admit, and the media refuses to really address any of it.

sallysweeet

sallysweeet

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

I'm neither here nor there about Adam Scott, but I'm glad that Williams wasn't with the winning golfer.

This is me too. I think Williams is an ass and I'm glad he doesn't get to be smug after yesterday.

I want Tiger to succeed and win more, not just because I think he's a great golfer, but I like seeing people build themselves up after falling down. Also, I want him to stick it to some of the media. I saw an article headline on some site about Tiger finding ways to lose. Almost every golfer golfing yesterday had a relatively bad day. Yeah, Tiger's triple-bogey sucked, but I don't think Tiger's day was any worse than anyone else's, and I'd argue that Tiger had a better day than Graeme McDowell and Adam Scott.

Edited by sallysweeet, Jul 23, 2012 @ 7:33 AM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Steve Williams must think he's hot shit. Isn't his pay dependent on how well the golfer he's working for does? I just remember hearing how Tiger made him millions which led me to believe Williams would not have made nearly as much if he was working for a less successful golfer. I don't know how it works but that's just my guess. Anyway if my theory is correct I would think it'd be in Williams' best interest to keep his golfer as calm as possible and encourage him instead of berating and distracting him. I'm glad Stevie is showing yet another reason why Tiger dumped his ass. As if I wasn't rooting for Tiger to win another major before....I am now. I too want him to shut some of those critics and naysayers up. It would kill (hopefully) Stevie to see Tiger win without him. I'm sure he think he's the real reason Tiger was so successful all these years.

I think Tiger is on the edge of being great. I don't think he'll ever be as dominant as he once was, but I think he could still be like 2 major wins a year type of player.

As for what happened yesterday. I changed the channel after I saw Tiger get on his knees in order to hit the ball out of the bunker. As a very very casual golf viewer (i honestly only watch for Tiger these days) I was shocked to see how deep those bunkers are. Insane. Anyway, I assumed Adam Scott had the tourney in the bag and when I turned back I couldnt believe they were handing the trophy off to Ernie Els. One of the commentators mentioned some guy named Van de velt (?) or something who had a pretty epic collapse in the 90s. Golf is probably the most brutal of sports when it comes to stuff like this because you're out there all by yourself with everyone watching your every move. You can't blame a ref, or umpire or even an opponent. Dude simply choked a major right out of his own hands.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Jul 23, 2012 @ 2:23 PM.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

One of the commentators mentioned some guy named Van de velt (?) or something who had a pretty epic collapse in the 90s.

Yeah, it was Jean Van De Velde (I think in the 1999 Open). If you ever get a chance to watch his final hole from that tournament, you should do so. It was one of the most memorable sporting events I've seen and offered up a little of every emotion possible.

The Adam Scott experience will be different because I think Scott is a much more talented player than Van de Velde was. Scott will probably win at least one major tournament eventually.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Adam Scott's loss is memorable in part because there was no memorable "He's screwed." moment. People remember Van De Velde standing in the water hazard, Norman putting it into the water in the Masters and Rory McIlroy standing near the cabins at the Masters trying to figure out his shot.

Scott's meltdown happened in slow motion.

SilentMinority

SilentMinority

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

Don't forget Mickelson at the 2006 (I think) US Open, butchering the 72nd hole when he had a 1 or 2-shot lead. Bad drive, tried to be the hero and missed the 2nd shot, etc. It was the closest thing to a Van de Velde since the original. What was his quote afterwards? "I was an idiot" or somesuch.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

I can promise huge ratings for the next few years. Pair Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy every chance you get they have been fun to watch. Terry Gannon is excellent he knows how to broadcast a tournement without being melodramatic.

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

Tiger and Rory are so much fun to watch. Both bring out the best in each other and seem to enjoy playing together. Seems as is Rory loosens up Tiger because they are always chatting. I do like golf channel's coverage these past two days but know it will change this weekend when NBC makes it all about Tiger/Rory and ignore everyone else- let the tongue bathing begin

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Terry Gannon is excellent he knows how to broadcast a tournament without being melodramatic.

Gannon is probably the best sportscaster anywhere. He is consistently intelligent, appropriate, humorous and generally spot on.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I'm OK as long as it's not Flaherty and McCord. Those two never stop yapping!

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

I'm am by no means a golf enthusiast. I watch only when Tiger's "in the hunt" but today when I got home, my first thought wasn't about Tiger. I was wondering what was going on with the Chinese kid. I'm thrilled that he's holding his own on the course. I think he's like 1+ or something. Not sure if he'll make the cut (how does that work when there's like 20 people tied with the same score?)...but regardless, he seems to have gained the respect of some of the other players. Its kind of nice when ESPN has a new storyline to focus on. He's already included in that Masters commercial too!

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 8:11 AM

Wow, only 14. That's insane! Hope he makes the cut. Can't wSit to watch this weekend- one of the sporting events I look forward to watching every year.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 1:46 PM

I always knew that Augusta National was totally OCD about their course, but this morning I saw a shot of a greenskeeper raking a bank of exposed pebbles that were in a creek!

ETA, Nantz was determined to give Scott that green jacket! With all of the mentions about Norman, the fact that he would be the first Australian to win and references to what time it was in Australia, Cabrera almost became an afterthought in the playoff.

Edited by xaxat, Apr 14, 2013 @ 7:24 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 5:47 PM

always knew that Augusta National was totally OCD about their course, but this morning I saw a shot of a greenskeeper raking a bank of exposed pebbles that were in a creek!

Lol...I saw someone watering one of the ponds. I guess the water level was low? Waste of water since it rained all day Sunday.

I was rooting for Angel yesterday, but Adam Scott was definitely deserving. I remember his collapse last year or a year before so I'm sure this is a huge weight lifted off his shoulders.

I'm surprised there wasn't more talk about the long-putter vs short-putter thing. They are going to ban the long putt right? Something about how it gives the player an advantage with nerves or something.

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

Considering what, the last four of six major winners are long putters, what's going to happen with the ban? Sucks for those that have found success and now have to go back. Was really rooting for Scott because he looked absolutely gutted after his collapse at the Open. Cabrera was super classy walking off with him with his arm around Scott's shoulder.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 7:30 AM

I thought I heard a while back they will ban the long putter a few years from now to at least give those who use it some time to adjust. From what I've heard from the old school guys, they never should have allowed the long putter to begin with.

One of the announcers said when Scott was really struggling with his game, Cabrera volunteered to be his partner (teammate?) in some tournament. That really warmed me. Couldn't have had two better guys battling it out on Sunday.

Imagine if Tiger actually made it to a playoff. I heard people saying they would have had to put an asterisk next to his name had he managed to win. Meh. I guess if the gentlemanly thing to do was to DQ hismself fine....but we already know Tiger is no gentleman. I'm a fan, but even I know there was no way in hell he was going to withdraw. Not to say I think he intentionally cheated. Not even Tiger would be brazen enough to cheat on national tv and then freely ADMIT it. But to think the guy would take himself out of a Major...let alone the Masters while he's in contention is asking a lot.

I blame the folks at the Masters. They should have DQ'ed him and saved Tiger the trouble.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

Imagine if Tiger actually made it to a playoff. I heard people saying they would have had to put an asterisk next to his name had he managed to win. Meh. I guess if the gentlemanly thing to do was to DQ hismself fine....but we already know Tiger is no gentleman. I'm a fan, but even I know there was no way in hell he was going to withdraw. Not to say I think he intentionally cheated. Not even Tiger would be brazen enough to cheat on national tv and then freely ADMIT it. But to think the guy would take himself out of a Major...let alone the Masters while he's in contention is asking a lot.

I blame the folks at the Masters. They should have DQ'ed him and saved Tiger the trouble.

The whole thing with trying to get Tiger to DQ himself came off as old men trying to stop the game from changing. Tiger was completely within his rights to stay in the tournament because the rules have changed. I found the constant harping on this by Nick Faldo to be ridiculous. He kept saying we'll be talking about this for years to come. The only thing we'll be talking about is how that penalty cost Tiger a major. I don't think anyone is going to say 20 years from now Tiger should have DQ'd himself. Well, other than Nick Faldo.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Apr 16, 2013 @ 10:23 AM.

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

Faldo is an idiot. Honestly, who would have dq themselves when the rules are that it's not a disqualification? The committee should have made the decision before Tiger signed the card so he wouldn't have put the wrong number. Why would he knowingly cheat? He has played this game for a very long time and isn't one to cheat. It was all ridiculous and overshadowed Scott's win.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

Oh Sergio. Just when I was patting you on the back for standing up to Tiger (laughed at the comment about how Tiger saying Sergio is a whiner is the only honest thing Tiger has said to the media in 15 years)....but then you had to go and make a racist comment about serving Tiger fried chicken for dinner. Didn't you get the memo Serg? Tiger isn't even black.

meknownothing

meknownothing

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

I was watching the CBS coverage of Jack Nicklaus' Memorial Tournament today when the sound feed for the announcers and the commentators went silent.  For the last hour of the tournament, all you could hear was the intro and outro music, the players hitting their shots, the back-and-froth between a player and his caddy and the reactions of the crowd. The best moment was a three-shot of Nick Faldo, Jim Nance and Jack Nicklaus in their booth talking with each other for several minutes, but all we could hear was complete silence.  Almost as funny was David Feherty's on-the-green interview with the winner, Matt Kuchar, at the end -- not a word could be heard.

It was a very different experience than watching a tournament with the eternal commentators.  It was almost like being at a tournament yourself.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

A whole hour? Did they do that on purpose or was it some sort of technical malfunction? I guess as a novice to the game and 98% of the players, I rely on the commentators to give little tidbits about what's going on. I have no idea what the difference is between a 3 and 4 wood (is that what its even called?) but I can appreciate when they tell me why one could be better than the other in a particular situation, or talk about the putting reads. I don't think I could have sat through a telecast with no talking.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

I'm rooting for anyone but Phil this week.I can't stand him and it drives me nuts when his behavior gets excused while other golfers get raked over the coals for every little thing. Phil dropped out of a tournement due to mental exhaustion noone said anything Rory McElroy got raked over the coals for problems with his wisdom teeth. Phil complained when the income rates went up not realizing that he makes more in one tournement than most of his fans make in a year. Tiger would have been ripped to shreds for saying the same thing.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

Yeah, I was rooting for "anyone but Phil" this week, purely in the interest of lowering Phil's tax bill. And it was one thing to say he'd move to another state, but kind of crazy to say he'd quit playing golf-- he's got to be making ten times in endorsements what he makes in golf earnings. If not more. He's talked a lot about playing on local, taxpayer-supported public golf courses when he was young in San Diego. 

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

Fox signs 12 year deal with USGA.

The biggest takeaway is that Johnny Miller's days as an analyst at any Major golf tournament are numbered.