Fore!: Golf Coverage on Television

• Please log in to reply

448 replies to this topic

Rocky Monoxide

Rocky Monoxide

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 6:43 PM

It was touching to see Nick Faldo get all choked up talking about Seve Ballesteros at the beginning of today's Wells Fargo coverage. I always think of NF as a relentless Golf-and-Snark Machine, so it was strange to see him crying.

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 5:18 PM

Wow...what a ho-hum affair this Open was...nothing NBC could do really to juice it up. Great display by McIlroy but just a terribly boring tournament overall.

Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 8:33 PM

Kind of a fore-gone conclusion, this Open! (hee!).

Since there was no suspense, I was transfixed by McIlroy's prominent nipples. Yikes.

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 1:22 PM

Rors did great, didn't he?? I could only listen to it on Radio 5 Live, but had to turn off around the 15th hole because it was coming up to midnight and I had work this morning! But as a fellow NI person and a McIlroy myself, I just can't say enough how proud I am of him - the whole country is. I can see why our country is going mad for this victory, but i've heard the US media is kinda a bit excited for him too - is that really the case or just UK media hype?

Professor Fate

Professor Fate

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 2:22 PM

I think folks in the US media are optimistic about the possibility of Rory being Tiger's successor in popularity and drawing in viewers. He comes off very well in interviews as evident by his post-US Open comments. Personally, after all the drama surrounding Tiger Woods over the last couple of years I find the emergence of all these new golfers very refreshing and exciting.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 5:20 PM

Not to mention the fact that Americans love a good redemption story.

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 5:41 PM

I think folks in the US media are optimistic about the possibility of Rory being Tiger's successor in popularity and drawing in viewers. He comes off very well in interviews as evident by his post-US Open comments. Personally, after all the drama surrounding Tiger Woods over the last couple of years I find the emergence of all these new golfers very refreshing and exciting.

Tell that to Rick Reilly who did a piece before the open about how golf needs Tiger and that the sport isn't the same without him.

The thing about Tiger is that he was a known quantity before he turned pro, really even before he played in his first Masters in 1995. McIlroy has a hopefully long and promising future ahead of him, but I don't think the media is even close to putting him in the category as Tiger. And the big issue with the sport of golf is that it's going to dawn on American fans/viewers pretty soon that the best golfers in the world are no longer coming from the United States, so Rory's ability to draw in the masses especially when compared to Tiger may or may not be there.

As a golf fan, there's always something to seeing a guy dominate the field like that, but this is the U.S. Open. IMO, It makes for some less-than-appealing Sunday viewing if someone is that far ahead of the field and there's a ton of guys under par. I'd rather see 2 guys struggling together in the last pair and let it come down to the last few holes where you don't know who will win.

cue da music

cue da music

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 6:25 PM

McIlroy has a hopefully long and promising future ahead of him, but I don't think the media is even close to putting him in the category as Tiger. And the big issue with the sport of golf is that it's going to dawn on American fans/viewers pretty soon that the best golfers in the world are no longer coming from the United States, so Rory's ability to draw in the masses especially when compared to Tiger may or may not be there.

All this MIlroy as the next Tiger talk sounds good but it is a little premature. There are still several Major victories between him and Tiger. Let's see how Rory fares over the next few years before we rush him to the top of the heap. It will be interesting to see how he handles the pressure.

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 12:23 PM

Let's see how Rory fares over the next few years before we rush him to the top of the heap. It will be interesting to see how he handles the pressure

As we like to say: "the lad is so laid back, he's almost lying down!"

He's such a relaxed guy, great head on his shoulders and he knows if he tried to get above himself there'd be quite a few people from his neck of the woods prepared to tell him to wise up.

Speaking of Holywood, they are thinking of doing for him what Portrush did for GMac - get a big 'Holywood - home of Rory McIlroy US Open champion 2011' signpost for when you hit the town lol. He gets home tomorrow, so I hope the focus shifts back onto him for a great homecoming, rather than focus on the crappy riots that have marred the past few days here.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:20 AM

Seems like Stevie is going to hold a grudge. I bet Tiger is just praying he doesn't have a tell all book in the works.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 7:16 AM

Seems like Stevie is going to hold a grudge. I bet Tiger is just praying he doesn't have a tell all book in the works.

I'm sure the publishers are leaning on him already, but I don't think we'll see a book from him just yet. As long as he continues to caddy he would probably would be smart to keep his mouth shut for now, otherwise no one in the game would trust him - including his current boss. A tell all book from him now would probably get him fired and blacklisted from the tour. Once his caddying days are done? Who knows. If anyone is still interested in hearing the dirty Tiger details by then we may see Caddy Stevie turn into Author Stevie.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 10:35 AM

Seems like Stevie is going to hold a grudge

Yeah, and I agree he needs to keep his mouth shut as long as he intends to keep caddying.

I'll admit, I felt pretty good for him after yesterday's tournament, but after listening to him being interviewed afterwards, I think he forgets exactly who on the team is swinging the club and sinking the putts and winning, and who is carrying the bag.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:15 PM

after listening to him (Stevie) being interviewed afterwards, I think he forgets exactly who on the team is swinging the club and sinking the putts and winning, and who is carrying the bag.

Really? Interesting...... a caddy with swagger, huh? I didn't see the interview, but maybe that gives us some insight into why Tiger let him go in the first place.

Edited by getawayjordan, Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:22 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 6:09 PM

I bet Tiger is just praying he doesn't have a tell all book in the works.

The only thing left for Williams to tell is if Tiger took PEDs. If he didn't, there's not much Williams can reveal to hurt him.

Rum Punch

Rum Punch

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

I'll admit, I felt pretty good for him after yesterday's tournament, but after listening to him being interviewed afterwards, I think he forgets exactly who on the team is swinging the club and sinking the putts and winning, and who is carrying the bag.

It made me angry that the media jumped all over Williams at the conclusion of the tourney, asking him a bunch of what amounted to, "How did it feel to stick it to Tiger?" questions, and then started with the "Shut up, Stevie, you're just the caddy." comments. You asked him the questions, dickwad!

WhyTheFace

WhyTheFace

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 4:18 PM

You asked him the questions, dickwad!

And he could have kept his mouth shut, like a smart man and just told them he would rather talk about Scott's win. It wasn't like Stevie hasn't spent the past 13 years watching his former boss handle the press and their loaded questions, he had ever opportunity to just tell them he would only answer questions about his new boss and his win, period.

He decided to run his mouth about Tiger because he still feels like the jilted ex-wife, the press didn't make him answer a single questions he gladly took the chance to stick it to Tiger, again just like his other quoted comments. Stevie just continues to want to play the victim when all he had to do was keep his mouth and let everyone think Tiger fired him unfairly, which if he was smart he would have. I don't blame the press a bit, it's their job to ask the questions and they will turn on you in a second, that is why Tiger hates them and Stevie should have known better.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

Stevie just continues to want to play the victim when all he had to do was keep his mouth and let everyone think Tiger fired him unfairly, which if he was smart he would have.

Stevie really needs to shut it - quick! Otherwise, not only will he find himself unemployed. He will find himself unemployable.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 10:25 AM

The only time I thought it was okay for the story to be about a caddy was when Tom Watson's caddy, Bruce Edwards, was battling ALS.

WhyTheFace

WhyTheFace

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2011 @ 2:57 PM

The only time I thought it was okay for the story to be about a caddy was when Tom Watson's caddy, Bruce Edwards, was battling ALS

I completely agree with this, and it really puts the whole Stevie and Tiger mess in perceptive as well.

I remember the coverage during that time and learned what a really great guy Bruce was. I think the Golf Channel did a special on him too, one of their finest pieces of work for sure, which is saying something considering a lot of the drek they've aired.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

I've been watching a bit of golf here and there the last couple weeks and am looking forward to the Masters this week, as there have been many good players playing very well since the beginning of the year (Got wins from Tiger, Rory, two from Hunter Mahan, Luke Donald, Phil, Bill Haas,) so it would seem that we are in line for a star studded weekend.

Having said that, there were a couple things that stuck with me from this weekend.

First, I think the Golf Channel did a pretty good job dealing with the EPIC missed putt for the win at the LPGA event. That was awful to watch.

Second, it was neat to see Fred Couples at the Shell Houston Open doing well. I hope he plays well enough to get some TV time at the Masters, because the announcers seem to really like him and they tell good stories about him.

And as an aside on Fred Couples, check out his shoes. I thought they were pretty cool, so I looked them up and found that they are made by Ecco. A little more looking and I found a press release sort of story about them that had this little nugget: "Another important attribute of Biom Hybrid [golf shoe] is the Tibetan Yak leather used to make the uppers; Ecco officials claim that material is three-times stronger than ordinary leather and just as soft."

I dare you to watch any golf on TV now and when you see Fred Couples to not think to yourself, "Hey now, are those Tibetan Yak shoes?"

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]I dare you to watch any golf on TV now and when you see Fred Couples to not think to yourself, "Hey now, are those Tibetan Yak shoes?" [/font]

I just saw Fred on today's coverage of the Masters, and you're right, it was the first thing I thought of!

Edited by xaxat, Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:56 PM.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

If you have a big HD TV, you can almost make out the little "Yak" logo on the back of the shoes.

Well, at least I tried to convince myself that I could see it. I'm not even 100% sure he's wearing the Yak shoes since he went with plain white with the blue bottoms. The other Ecco colors are much more distinct; everybody makes white and blue shoes. The announcers are no help. They very rarely comment on equipment, even when it is begging for comment like Bubba Watson's pink driver.

Edited by JTMacc99, Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:03 AM.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

Money, it's gotta be the shoes! Nice to see the old guys doing well.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

Tiger Woods has certainly committed his share of sins, but Nike is meting out punishment equal to them with the HEINOUS fit on those paints he's wearing these days.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Damn, even after all the shit Tiger has done, I am still rooting for him to win.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Damn, even after all the shit Tiger has done, I am still rooting for him to win.

Yeah, I can't (totally) quit him either, CharmCity. There's a archetypal, visceral thrill watching him play, like watching Federer or Jordan. You don't even have to have an understanding of the game (like me with golf) to feel transfixed and thrilled.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 6:26 AM

I am one of those who could care less what athletes do off the course, good or bad, I just like to watch them play well. Tiger keeps golf interesting for me, and probably will until he's retired.

I do get sick of hearing the commentators stumbling over themselves trying not to contradict themselves when it comes to how he is playing. And they wonder why he hates the press so much.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

Just watching Friday evening's US Open coverage, and Chris Berman and the gang cannot shut up about the young players (especially Hossler) being so young. I've watched for 60 minutes, and I think they have referred to Hossler's youth about 20 times now.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

I'm rooting for Tiger too. This may be an unpopular opinion but I can't stand Phil Mickelson I think he's phony. I wish the media would stop trying to create a rivalry between Phil and Tiger. Tiger is so much better than Phil it isn't funny.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I wish the media would stop trying to create a rivalry between Phil and Tiger. Tiger is so much better than Phil it isn't funny.

Especially, after what is transpiring at this weekends tournament.

Non-shocking news: ESPN Scores Its Highest U.S. Open Rating, Audience Averaging 3.6 Million Viewers from 5-10p ET Friday.

NBC:

darrenrovell US Open on @NBC received a 2.1 rating for its 2 hrs of 1st round coverage yesterday, best in 6 years, up 50% from last year.

Edited by CharmCity04, Jun 16, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.