Fore!: Golf Coverage on Television

• Please log in to reply

448 replies to this topic

risnuff

risnuff

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2005 @ 12:08 PM

Discuss Golf on TV here. I don't have much to say at the moment but I'm sure you guys and gals do. I'm watching the PGA Championship on TNT right now, and they do a great job on Golf, as they do on all thier sports. Ernie Johnson's a natural when it comes to covering sports.

Good luck to Mickelson! Let's see if he can actually make a birdie putt today!

skeevo666

skeevo666

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2005 @ 12:47 PM

Golf is best when David Faherty is commentating!

risnuff

risnuff

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2005 @ 6:49 PM

Yeah, Feherty's great.

And Phil actually has a share of the lead? Amazing.

skeevo666

skeevo666

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2005 @ 8:32 PM

I've never actually watched a golf match in person, but should I ever I'm sure as @*&# not gonna stand under an oak tree!!!

Edited by skeevo666, Aug 12, 2005 @ 8:32 PM.

tuq

tuq

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 12, 2005 @ 9:10 PM

Nice topic. I'd have added it a long time ago but feared I'd be talking to myself. Then again, there is a busy tennis thread.

Feherty is good (and according to a recent SI article his affable personality earns him a hefty yearly salary via appearance fees) but I CANNOT STAND his sidekick Gary McCord. His cutesy commentary just takes over broadcasts - e.g. last week's International event, where because of weather delays earlier in the week they showed four hours of front nine coverage on Sunday and because nobody was assigned to those holes he did most of the coverage and it was insufferable. He tried too hard to be the show. Dude, we don't tune in to listen to you. At least I don't.

You can bet your ass CBS let out a yooge sigh of relief when Tiger ducked in under the cut line. First off, there are apparently a lot of viewers who only tune because he is on, and secondly because of his early start tomorrow they'll be able to fill a lot of the pre-leader coverage with his round. That's a great lead-in to the players who actually have a chance to win (Phil, Vijay, et al).

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 1:10 AM

I started watching golf because of Tiger. He's hawt and kewl. I'm so glad he's returned to being Tiger Woods again and not Eldrick.

I find watching tournaments on CBS a trial because so many of their announcers to be such pills: Jim Nanz, the usual unctious, honey-voiced host; Lanny Wadkins is boring and astonishingly un-insightful; Gary McCord needs to be gagged; David Feherty thinks he is a lot more interesting and funny than he is, which is quite interesting and funny; Bobby Clampett is soporific in delivery and only rarely truly illuminating.

Shafts of light in the darkness: the delightful, avuncular Vern Lundquist; and Peter ... oh, I'm blanking on his last name. The guy who did the swing analyses. He really sounds like he knows what he's talking about and can articulate it.

Oh, I hope Mickelson doesn't win. The smirk is so off-putting.

And today is such a good example of why people complain about Tiger not having the competition Nicklaus did. I sometimes forget because people rightly bring up that Els, Goosen and Singh will likely have four to six or seven majors before they're done (especially Els and Goosen, since they're much younger), and will be looking a lot better than now, and that the fields as a whole are so much stronger, yada, yada.

Well, people keep saying Tiger has no competition because the other top players never seem to do what he and the other champions do when they have a chance to win a big tournament: play well when they have that chance. I would be so interested to know how many times Mickelson, Love, Goosen and even Singh have, like today, basically gone backwards when they had a really good chance to take a major with positive play.

tuq

tuq

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 9:24 AM

Shafts of light in the darkness: the delightful, avuncular Vern Lundquist; and Peter ... oh, I'm blanking on his last name. The guy who did the swing analyses. He really sounds like he knows what he's talking about and can articulate it.

Oosterhuis (sp?). Yeah he's good.

The thing most impressive about Lundquist is that he's the only hole reporter who doesn't have a golf background; you also hear him call NCAA basketball and other sports, I'm sure. He's also been the commentator for two of the greatest moments in Masters history: the Tiger chip-in on 16 this year, and the Jack Nicklaus putt on 17 in 1986 that gave him the lead.

I like most of the CBS crew but consider the NBC group superior (the peerless Johnny Miller, Gary Koch, Mark Rolfing, Roger Maltbie, and Dottie Pepper, ROY). But they have gone into hibernation; I have to assume they are calling the President's Cup, but don't know for sure.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 11:04 AM

Who was the guy who kept saying that golfers had been "betrayed by" their driver or putter? I kept getting an image of a golf club sneaking up on a player from behind.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 11:19 AM

Oosterhuis (sp?). Yeah he's good.

Oh, right, Oosterhuis. I forgot about him. He is good. The de rigeur Brit. But the Peter I was thinking of is the American who did those analyses with the swing planes. And I still can't think of his last name!

The thing most impressive about Lundquist is that he's the only hole reporter who doesn't have a golf background; you also hear him call NCAA basketball and other sports, I'm sure. He's also been the commentator for two of the greatest moments in Masters history: the Tiger chip-in on 16 this year, and the Jack Nicklaus putt on 17 in 1986 that gave him the lead.

He's just wonderful, period. And his calls of "Yes, sir" (before my time, but I've heard it since I've been a Tiger fan) and of course "When have you ever seen anything ... " (and I'm blanking on the rest), were so unaffected, but just right for the moment, and surely will stand the test of time.

I like most of the CBS crew but consider the NBC group superior (the peerless Johnny Miller, Gary Koch, Mark Rolfing, Roger Maltbie, and Dottie Pepper, ROY).

With the deletion of the odious Curtis Strange and the addition of Azinger and Faldo, (who are quite attractive and hawt respectively, and they're golfers!, go figure) I think the ABC crew might have the advantage because I'm a big Judy Rankin fan. I forget if Billy Krazert (sp?) is with them or not. He's good. And I think Steve Melnick is good too. I think Mike Turico is the best of the hosts. He forgoes that awful gooey quality and is a more straightforward sports guy.

Edited by Harry24, Aug 15, 2005 @ 11:23 AM.

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 2:05 PM

Well, I always liked Curtis, but Azinger and Faldo are great. They've been a terrific addition to the already very good ABC broacast.

And kudos to CBS for broadcasting their majors in Hi-Def. Why the other networks can't figure out how great the game is in that format is beyond me.

icequeen1501

icequeen1501

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 2:19 PM

First off, there are apparently a lot of viewers who only tune because [Tiger] is on

*raises hand*

Edited by icequeen1501, Aug 15, 2005 @ 2:21 PM.

Sexylibrarian

Sexylibrarian

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 3:04 PM

First off, there are apparently a lot of viewers who only tune because [Tiger] is on

Funny, and I'm a long-time golf fan who is likely to switch the channel when Tiger is on.

tuq

tuq

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 11:13 PM

But the Peter I was thinking of is the American who did those analyses with the swing planes. And I still can't think of his last name!

Kostis. Sorry, he totally does those Konica Minolta Swing Vision ™ pieces, I whiffed on that one. He is excellent all-around.

I guess the reason that most of the golf commentators are excellent is that as a "gentelman's sport" there isn't much ridiculous grandstanding (Gary McCord excepted). I like most of the commentary on all three networks, but did hear recently that ABC may abandon their stake in the PGA, which would be pretty sad because I do like Rankin and the others, and also agree with your assessment of Tirico's ability. Among the three network hosts, Tirico, Nantz, and Dan Hicks, that's not even a contest. But I still kinda have a hard time getting past his epic ESPN debauchery for some reason...it just skeeves me out.

The pro/anti Tiger group seems to define itself by how deeply one is into the game. When he battled with Bob May five years ago I was at the turn and in a pro shop, and not a soul gathered around that TV wanted Tiger to win. I don't think anyone has anything against the guy, but there is a certain resentment towards the networks' relentless pandering towards him, ostensibly for the sake of ratings, and the sentiment in the golf community is "hey, there's plenty of other good golfers who ALSO don't walk on water, why not show them too?" My default setting is to root against him, but you have to respect the guy's ability to grind at all times. The level of competitiveness that implies is to be deeply respected.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 2:08 AM

I think Mickelson's the one that the networks pander to more than anyone, at least in comparison of how much he actually wins (a little to write that after Monday, I'll admit). Still, I will admit that he does provide some nice theatre (that shot on 18 being a prime example), and so does Tiger.

I like ABC's crew the most of the broadcast teams. I think golf is the one sport that Tirico does a pretty good job at it and Faldo and Azinger are a wonderful combination. I don't mind CBS's group, but I have to say I'm not really much of a fan of NBC's group.

GooberPyle

GooberPyle

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 10:12 AM

I think Mickelson's the one that the networks pander to more than anyone, at least in comparison of how much he actually wins

27 PGA Tour victories, 1 Masters, 1 PGA Championship, 1 U.S. Amateur, 3 NCAA individual championships.

That's about as much as Vijay and more than everyone else but Tiger.

Edited by GooberPyle, Aug 16, 2005 @ 10:13 AM.

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 10:43 AM

I think the networks pander to golfers with personality. It's just a bonus for them that Tiger and Phil are among the best players in the world. If Vijay, Ernie, and DLIII weren't dull as dirt, we'd certainly be hearing more about them.

(yes, Corporate!Tiger is usually dull in his interviews but can be awfully colorful on the course)

el mapache

el mapache

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 6:14 PM

(yes, Corporate!Tiger is usually dull in his interviews but can be awfully colorful on the course)

I like when Tiger leaves a putt short, he'll do his Judge Smails on the tap-in, that always cracks me up. I guess I prefer CBS' coverage the most. Maybe it's because they have the Masters. I really like David Feherty, I don't know if it's his accent or what, but I think he's great. And Verne Lundquist has a knack for calling huge moments in big games/events. From Jack on 17 in '86 to Duke-Kentucky, this guy has announced some huge moments. However, there's something I have to confess - it has to do with Bobby Clampett's voice. It has this strange Mary Hart-like effect on me. I don't know what it is, but whenever I hear him, I just get drowsy, like I'm on a morphine drip, and I end up napping for practically the whole back nine.

Edited by el mapache, Aug 17, 2005 @ 10:54 AM.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2005 @ 5:40 PM

There are not many things anymore in sports that surprise me, but finding out this just floored me. I wonder how CBS would have covered that if it had actually come into play on Monday?

Hippy Joe

Hippy Joe

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2005 @ 7:10 PM

Feherty's from Northern Ireland. He was on Craig Ferguson last week..ahh..the accents...he said he's been sober for a few years but did tell a funny story about going on a bender after winning a tournament...he woke up a few days later (I think he said on the golf course?) and still does not remember what happened to the trophy.

Faldo....yeah, he's hawt..and looks good withOUT the hat on, unlike most golfers...

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2005 @ 1:21 PM

All I can say is that I would have loved to see Monday's PGA finale without of Tiger Woods! As much as I like his game, leaving early (especially for a major) was total bullshit.

skeevo666

skeevo666

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2005 @ 5:40 PM

Well, it looks as if Michelle Wie has shook off her opening day nerves and let Annika Sorenstam know that she means business!

seneca724

seneca724

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2005 @ 3:15 PM

Man, get out of there Grace Park! So close to a Mega-Watt Annika/Michelle final day pairing! Too bad, NBC.

Edited by seneca724, Oct 15, 2005 @ 3:21 PM.

skeevo666

skeevo666

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2005 @ 10:18 PM

The funny thing is, Grace Park is only there playing because Annika didn't play in enough tournaments to qualify for the Vare Trophy. Ironic, isn't it?

edited to add:Wow, I don't think Michelle will be granting any exclusive interviews to Sports Illustrated anytime soon . . .

Edited by skeevo666, Oct 17, 2005 @ 4:40 AM.

tjsmom

tjsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 7:16 AM

Asked why he didn't bring it up before the third round ended, Bamberger said, "That didn't occur to me. I was still in my reporter's mode. I wanted to talk to her first."

Sounds to me like he wanted to be the story...I am surprised though that the caddy didn't realize either?

seneca724

seneca724

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 1:26 PM

I know! He would have never done that to Tiger, who would have froze out SI's ass.

skeevo666

skeevo666

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2005 @ 4:41 PM

I think Fred Funk should wear a skirt more often!

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2006 @ 5:24 PM

Come on people, Masters starts in a few days. No love?

Well the final at the Kraft Nabisco today was fantastic. I am very excited for Karrie. I hope this breaks her slump. The LPGA has got to love Michelle Wie and Natalie Gulbis being in the final group today. I used to rank women's golf up there with curling but the last couple of years its become pretty entertaining.

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Apr 5, 2006 @ 9:11 AM

I'm afraid too much of the Masters coverage is going to revolve around reporting on the health of Earl Woods.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 6:32 PM

I know a lot of people really like him, but Mickelson just comes off as such a phony that he really ticks me off. Ticks me off to the point that I actually turned off the final round half way through. But, again, that's my issue and he's certainly one helluva golfer.

Oh, and Jim Nantz (speaking of phony) should never be allowed near a golf tournament ever again. He's become excruciating to listen to.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2006 @ 6:40 PM

One thing I always wonder about the Masters' coverage: what's with the music CBS uses? It's so soothing and Muzak-like, compared to the more fast-paced, driving theme music for, say, the Final Four...and it even plays over the commentary, making the whole proceedings seem kind of like a commercial for Ensure. What gives?