Ladies and Gentlemen Start Your Engines: Auto Racing

• Please log in to reply

2199 replies to this topic

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I was out, and never went back to look at the tape after I heard the race was postponed. You mean they didn't just wind up DW and Mikey, and let them yammer on all afternoon? That would have filled all the time they had, and then some!

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

Postponed until 7pm tonight on Fox.

khyber

khyber

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

Lets light this candle!

Is it possible for DW to slobber over Danica any more than he has?

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:34 AM

Is it possible for DW to slobber over Danica any more than he has?

Mikey isn't in the race, so he has to slobber over someone.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

The Danice frenzy went a little too far when we got the shot of her wandering around the backstretch with her fire suit to her waist during the red flag, presumably in search of a ladies rest room.

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

All of the Danica media coverage drives me crazy. I still think that ESPN is far more over the top with their coverage of Danica than Fox ever could be.

I don't think Danica is all that popular, and that what popularity she does have is largely media driven.

In a way, I find the whole over saturation of Danica kind of insulting. She shouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else, but the media does seem to just cover her non-stop. IMO, it is really insulting and disrespectful to her and every other driver in NASCAR.

I thought it was a half way decent Daytona 500 race, but something does need to be done about all of those long delays within the race.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I don't mind a certain level of Danica coverage because it's nice to have some drivers that don't seem to all blur together when they're doing the introductions. I'm a pretty casual fan, and the only two drivers that seem to not get blended together if you don't follow the soap opera of Who Wrecked Who Last Week or musical seats in the big show are her and Juan Pablo Montoya.

Just wish Johanna Long would have gotten a little more love. She's a local girl and seems like she might have a decent future in the sport.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

The Danica coverage is out of control, she was a billion laps down and they're still showing her. For what? DW saying that Jimmie Johnson learned from Danica, is just insulting to the 5x champion of this series.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 3:59 AM

The Danica coverage is out of control, she was a billion laps down and they're still showing her. For what? DW saying that Jimmie Johnson learned from Danica, is just insulting to the 5x champion of this series.

Amen to this. Who else can do so bad but get as much coverage? When she wins five championships then lets give her the coverage. Untill then, "Get her outta here!"

khyber

khyber

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

Does everyone have the DVR fired up for this weekend? Monaco, Indy, The 600!

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

Monaco for me khyber , although I missed quali today and therefore seeing the Great Man getting pole! Could kick myself - I'll re-watch on BBC website later between crap Eurovision entries.

I love watching Monaco because I get to shout "I've been there!!!" to the tv and lord it over everyone around me! I've even done the lap! Amazing experience!

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I don't even pretend to know what I'm talking about when I catch the occasional NASCAR race. Nothing of note to watch this Sunday afternoon, so I've got the Pocono race on in the background. Wasn't there a time either this year or last year where everybody began pairing up and it was just two cars that seemed like they were hooked together going around the track? I hated that, it was so boring. Noticing that thankfully it's not like that in today's race. Was there some rule change, or did everybody just agree that it was stupid?

CountryGal

CountryGal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

Wasn't there a time either this year or last year where everybody began pairing up and it was just two cars that seemed like they were hooked together going around the track? I hated that, it was so boring. Noticing that thankfully it's not like that in today's race. Was there some rule change, or did everybody just agree that it was stupid?

I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about it, but the tandem racing you're talking about is something that was happening during the restrictor plate races (races at Daytona and Talledega). Last season was the first time (I think) it was used and most fans hated it. A number of drivers, including prominent drivers such as Dale Earnhardt Jr., also expressed dislike for that style of racing. NASCAR wisely decided to listen and this year they made some modifications to the cars as well as some rule changes about drivers being able to communicate with one another during the race that made that style of racing significantly more difficult. I didn't watch enough of the restrictor plate races this year to see if drivers still attempted it or if they mostly stuck with the traditional pack racing.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

As CountryGal said, the tandem racing was a product of Daytona and Talladega only. It was interesting, I didn't see the big problem with it. They did some of it this year - rules changes made it tougher, as cars would overheat if they ran as a pair too long, but it was still faster, and guys are going to do what they can to go faster. You change the rules, and they find a way to make it work for them.

BTW, I was at the Pocono race - did you see me in the grandstands? Actually, I've been going to Pocono for more than 20 years, and when I see highlights on TV, it looks so strange.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

OK, so I realize Speed is the de facto NASCAR channel, and they only reluctantly show other programming, but to cut away from scheduled live coverage of Le Mans to show Cup practice at Michigan? Really? I'm a big NASCAR fan, and I realize the speeds and change in tires at Michigan is a story, but do we really need an hour+ of cars practicing when there is real, actual racing they could be covering?

Modern Skeptic

Modern Skeptic

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

OK, so I realize Speed is the de facto NASCAR channel, and they only reluctantly show other programming, but to cut away from scheduled live coverage of Le Mans to show Cup practice at Michigan? Really? I'm a big NASCAR fan, and I realize the speeds and change in tires at Michigan is a story, but do we really need an hour+ of cars practicing when there is real, actual racing they could be covering?

I found this to be absolutely infuriating as well. I remember when I first got Speed maybe 12 years ago they had stuff you couldn't see anywhere else: World Rally, British Touring Cars, Dakar Rally. Since then they've stripped just about everything away except for NASCAR and replaced actual racing with terrible realty shows. They even mess up the things they do "well" as evidence by cutting away from Le Mans to show NASCAR practice or taking Bob Varsha off F1 broadcasts to cover Barrett-Jackson auctions (I love the Varsha/Hobbs/Matchett team). So stupid.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

I didn't know this until it was mentioned during today's coverage of the Grand Prix of Brazil, but damn--NBC takes over US F1 coverage starting next year. What might be good about this is that 15 of the 19 races are going to NBC Sports Network--as well as all practice and qualifying coverage--and four to NBC itself: Canada, Abu Dhabi, the Americas, and Brazil. (The near-inevitable tape delay for Abu Dhabi should be fun.)

Interestingly, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett are coming over to NBC's umbrella for this--and Leigh Diffey will be doing play-by-play coverage. Bob Varsha is staying at Speed, for whatever reason.

SubwayCola

SubwayCola

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

Anyone else find it interesting/funny watching the NASCar show on Showtime and hearing all of the profanity that the racers/pit crews let loose during the races?

Yeah all of those self proclaimed Jebus freaks aren't too hypocritical, not at all. Which means that there must be at least a 45 second delay for the races on NBC/FAUX/ESPN when they listen in on the drivers.

kattybiz

kattybiz

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

Having listened to the radios during a live race, what's even funnier is that it's the "quietest" drivers who really let loose. Worst tirade I ever heard was from Matt Kenseth cussing out his entire crew for losing him the race. Never mind he'd already been passed for the lead on the track, it was all their fault.

Agreed that there's a massive delay plus good sound editing crew for TV playing the driver radios.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

I've used a scanner at Cup races for over 15 years, so nothing I hear on the radio surprises me. You are listening in on private, work conversations in the heat of the moment, so I'm fine with some rough language. After a few incidents of unwanted material ending up on the broadcast, I think the major broadcasters went away from airing team communications live on the air - they usually run it as a replay of some action, with the audio (appropriately censored) accompanying the video.

I'll never forget one incident, some years back - Dale Jarret was still driving for Robert Yates, with Todd Parrot as crew chief, so it was the late 1990s, maybe early 2000s. ESPN wanted to put a mike on Parrot in the pits, at Talladega, I think, but he was reluctant until they assured him they would have a delay on his audio. Well, someone in the trailer decided the delayed audio didn't work well with the visuals, so unbeknownst to Parrot, they went out live with his audio. They were having handling problems, and thought they had broken a shock absorber, and clear as day, you hear Parrot tell the crew "Let's put a new shock on this motherfucker..." followed by an extended silence from the booth. Parrot later apologized, NASCAR fined him (I think ESPN may have covered the fine) but the best part? A few nights later, ESPN rebroadcast the race, and left the audio intact...

khyber

khyber

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

Bob Varsha is staying at Speed, for whatever reason

Bob has a year left on his contract with Fox (Speed), so he is stuck doing that Barrett-Jackson crap for another year.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

The cussing on the radio doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the tongue-bath all the announcers give to Dale Jr.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

What bothers me is the tongue-bath all the announcers give to Dale Jr.

Darrel Waltrip (who, I'll admit, I never could stand as a driver, and who I abhor in the booth) is the worst of the bunch. I understand he watched the kid grow up, but there is something wrong with one grown man referring to another grown man as "June Bug" on national TV.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

I can't stand Darell Waltrip I think he's got a huge ego and he doesn't let Mike Joy speak. I know he won't say anything nice about Jeff Gordon after the Clint Bowyer incident.

khyber

khyber

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Robby Gordon is doing Dakar again!! Don't know if there will be any TV coverage of it.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

Four laps into tonight's NASCAR Sprint Unlimited race, and I'm already yelling "Shut the hell up, DW!" It's going to be a long season...

khyber

khyber

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 8:45 PM

With Danica winning the pole can you imagine the hype leading up to the 500?

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 12:01 PM

There's that and her relationship she's pimping for PR. Using her private life doesn't give her any credibility at all when she already didn't have much.

khyber

khyber

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

Well ESPN leads with Danica versus the injured spectators. Interesting choice. I'm sure in this circumstance Danica does not want to be the lead story and like all the other drivers is concerned for the fans.

Maybe this will make the drivers more cautious in the 500 tomorrow.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

I don't think it will matter how cautious the drivers are tomorrow. When you have big groups of cars thar can't seperate from each other big wrecks will happen. Danica expressed sympathy for the injured fans on her twitter. I love racing but hate restrictor plate races with a passion.