My Name is Earl

• Please log in to reply

4233 replies to this topic

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2006 @ 8:51 PM

And they did go to some length to let us know that wherever Catalina's from, US citizens need a passport to get in (which you don't need for Mexico until next January). Also, the boys found it necessary to fly there, and though we're vague on the exact location of Camden County, we know it's close enough to drive to Vegas, so it's probably close enough to drive to Mexico, especially for non-fliers.

Mateo

Mateo

Posted Dec 10, 2006 @ 8:54 PM

Probably would fly if it was in central or southern Mexico (which is where most illegal immigrants come from). But I didn't know that they said in the past that Catalina wasn't Mexican, so I don't know where she's from, probably a fictional country like that previous poster said.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2006 @ 9:58 PM

Also, the boys found it necessary to fly there, and though we're vague on the exact location of Camden County, we know it's close enough to drive to Vegas, so it's probably close enough to drive to Mexico, especially for non-fliers.

No use using logic here. Trying to figure out where Camden is is like trying to figure out where Springfield is.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2006 @ 11:10 PM

They did say, when Earl was afraid to fly, that he and Randy could take a bus, but that it would take 13 days, and then 5 days by mule...or something like that.

But even if the show never actually says Mexico, and I'm not 100% sure that it doesn't, all of the previews say that Earl and Randy go to Mexico. Still, they certainly don't make non-hispanic people look all that great, so I wouldn't be offended if I were Mexican. They pretty much make fun of every possible group, and stereotype.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2006 @ 11:45 AM

Time after Time in Spanish was the best part for me. IT took me a minute to figure out what they were singing.

I also like the Spanish Guitar version of Eye of the Tiger.

One of the best things though I thought was Ethan Supleeís performance as Randy. He played the change of attitude really well. Even though Randy has never shown this much determination before it didnít seem out of character at all.

MisterMcGee

MisterMcGee

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2006 @ 5:26 PM

I still really like this show, but what is with the overreliance of flashbacks/recaps this season? For some reason that's been bugging me: like the constant references to prior episodes and Joy's arrest (which should just wrap up already). I did like Randy's bird phobia montage - but I like when the continuity is more subtle.

The first half of this two-parter was also humorous but not as laugh out loud as some others. Earl's plane antics were a little too much.

Roller Girl

Roller Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2006 @ 5:28 PM

I think the whole "Earl is like Forrest Gump and can't keep his eyes open for pictures" part totally makes up for the a-little-much airplane scenes.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2007 @ 11:01 PM

Aw, with the missing posts, we've lost all the forum talk about "Our Cops Is On" and "Buried Treasure", which were two of the strongest episodes of the season... arguably, two of the strongest episodes of MNIE ever, and the former in particular is one of the better episodes of any sitcom I've ever seen.

bookemdano

bookemdano

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 1:34 AM

Yeah, all praise the brilliant Tim Stack for writing and guesting on "Our Cops is On". It was a gut-busting episode from start to finish. "Buried Treasure" was very enjoyable as well. I hope this is the beginning of a renaissance for MNIE... it'd had a hit and miss season up until these two gems.

clarkins

clarkins

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 10:27 AM

I liked the "Cops" episode more than the "Buried Treasure" one. I did watch "Buried Treasure" multiple times.
I even ffwd just to see/hear each of them say 'My Name Is....'

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 8:42 PM

Since we lost the commentary on "My Cops Is On" . . .

My contribution: Loved the dangling seatbelt.
Everyone's favorite line: "You had me at 'balls.'"

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

Actually, my favorite line is "If you say something scary, he'll show you pictures of his kids -- they're cute!"

Bramlet06

Bramlet06

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 10:18 PM

Great shows the last couple of weeks. The one thing I wish MNiE did more was wink to the audience now and again. I think it would be cool if they did more meta jokes like AD used to do. I think I would enjoy Earl and other shows more if they did. Does any one agree with me on this?

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 10:21 PM

Actually, my favorite line is "If you say something scary, he'll show you pictures of his kids -- they're cute!"

Mine too!

I'm so happy that the last two episodes have been so great, because I was kind of starting to lose interest. I would still watch it, but I wouldn't necessarily sit still for it. Now it's back to being a "no movement until the commercials" show for me.

Teitr Styrr

Teitr Styrr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 10:52 PM

"It's okay, he's got a straight shot after the school.." (Faint school bell ringing in the background)

whojackie

whojackie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 10:57 PM

First, I have to admit that Iíve noticed something weird about myself. I talk out loud when I type. Does anyone else do that?

The one thing I wish MNiE did more was wink to the audience now and again. I think it would be cool if they did more meta jokes like AD used to do. I think I would enjoy Earl and other shows more if they did. Does any one agree with me on this?

I have to say that I like my TV shows to be pure. When they start winking at the audience and trying to be too cute it really starts to chip away at the reality of the showís world for me. I like to think that the people in the show donít know the audience exists. When the writers use cheap and easy gags to amuse a small group of the audience it causes the rest of us to snap back into reality and remind us weíre just watching a show and that upsets me. And I'm sure it bothers other people as well. So, I guess my response to your question would be:

No, I donít think shows should do more meta jokes that cater to the online bloggers and Iím sure everyone at Television Without Pity Dot Com agrees with me.

bookemdano

bookemdano

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 11:54 PM

No, I donít think shows should do more meta jokes that cater to the online bloggers and Iím sure everyone at Television Without Pity Dot Com agrees with me.

Well I'll go ahead and disagree with you (and I'm no "online blogger"). Dramas should respect the 4th wall, but I do like my comedies with a healthy dose of meta, so long as it's funny meta.

IMHO, comedies aren't really believable situations anyway, so I've no need for the performers to pretend I'm not there. On the contrary, meta references, callbacks, etc. let the audience in on the jokes, making the whole thing funnier and more rewarding to observant and repeat viewers.

But as much as I love AD, part of its demise is that it was so metariffic that new viewers were bewildered by the jokes if they didn't start from the beginning or pay close enough attention. I would hate to see that happen to Earl. But Earl also isn't as serialized as AD was, so at least new viewers can hop into an episode and know what is going on with the plot.

There is a balance to be struck, and I think Earl could incorporate a bit more meta and still keep everyone happy.

Edited by bookemdano, Jan 17, 2007 @ 11:55 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 5:22 PM

I like MNIE's humor as it is. I don't think they need to wink at the audience. They don't need to mess with success.

edoug

edoug

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 6:31 PM

They already do jokes just for people with HD tv's. Randy/Catalina is going to be one of the subplots tonight. I wonder if they've consumated their marriage yet?

Golfshirt

Golfshirt

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 6:49 PM

Randy/Catalina is going to be one of the subplots tonight.

That's good! While the last two episodes have been possibly my favorites of the series so far, it seemed odd that the Randy/Catalina marriage was not so much as mentioned after being a cliffhanger of sorts on the previous episode. I wonder if the last two episodes were shown out of order to accomodate the placement of the hour-long marriage episode.

OreoCookies

OreoCookies

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 8:25 PM

AAHHH!!! My Name is Earl just did a TWoP shout out!

QueenoftheImps

QueenoftheImps

Loyal Viewer

Holy shit! We got mentioned! And it even made fun of metajokes, too!

Edited by QueenoftheImps, Jan 18, 2007 @ 8:26 PM.

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Dude. Did TWoP almost kinda sorta get name dropped?

R-O-T-F-L.

ETA: Heh. Guess so.

Was it actually televisionwithoutpity? I thought he said withoutpay. Maybe i just misheard.

Edited by jedicaboose, Jan 18, 2007 @ 8:28 PM.

rock lobster

rock lobster

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 8:26 PM

Ah! I just saw that! Yay!

...It's weird how excited I am about this.

Grey Skies

Grey Skies

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 8:27 PM

Shout out! That was awesome.

Edited by Grey Skies, Jan 18, 2007 @ 8:27 PM.

hlisy

hlisy

Fanatic

Sorry to hear about your passing WhoJackie...<g>.

LOL at major shoutout in tonite's episode. Thanks guys.

sjoanzors

sjoanzors

Loyal Viewer

Isn't it a bit beyond shoutout when they actually name the website?? I actually shrieked when he said the name! Sure it was slightly mocking, but I'd like to think it was mocking in love.
On a related note- who IS the actor who played Josh?? I know I've seen him somewhere, and it's killing me.
ETA: used the wrong term!

Edited by sjoanzors, Jan 18, 2007 @ 8:28 PM.

selvig

selvig

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 8:28 PM

What was the exact reference? I only caught on when he said twop.

hotwings

hotwings

Channel Surfer

yep just came to type because of the shout out. w000t :)

TV_Buffy

TV_Buffy

Fanatic

Awesome shoutout. I knew it was coming as soon as they said Josh got on the computer to bitch about TV shows. Awesome.