Weeds

• Please log in to reply

1996 replies to this topic

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2005 @ 5:08 PM

From IMDB: "After her husband's unexpected death and subsequent financial woes, suburban mom Nancy Botwin (Parker) embraces a new profession: the neighborhood pot dealer. As it seems like everyone secretly wants what she's selling -- even city councilman Doug Wilson (Nealon) -- Nancy is faced with keeping her family life in check and her enterprise a secret from her best friend/PTA president, Celia Hodes (Perkins)." For the record, the actors referred to are Mary-Louise Parker, Kevin Nealon, & Elizabeth Perkins.

So, will anyone watch this show? For me, the premise makes the show sound, umm, stupid, for lack of a better word. I picture dumbed-down comedy with lots of drug jokes. However, the cast makes me think this could actually be something decent. I haven't had time to check out the buzz (ha ha) & came here looking for information, & was shocked that there was no thread for it yet. Not that TWOP is a measuring stick by any means, but I would think that would not bode well for potential viewer interest. Even Britney & Bobby Brown's shows had threads long before the shows started. I believe this one debuts Sunday, August 7th with the first run of subsequent weeks on Mondays.

Mulva76

Mulva76

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2005 @ 9:42 AM

ITA that the cast adds an extra element of interest. I don't have Showtime but I'll definitely try to catch it when On Demand has one of their free weekends. I imagine it'll be like Desperate Housewives but funny.

Charles Lane

Charles Lane

Posted Aug 4, 2005 @ 4:39 PM

The funny thing is, if it were on HBO, I'd expect it to be funny. Since it's on Showtime, I expect it to be stupid.

runcible spoon

runcible spoon

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2005 @ 4:46 PM

I was wondering if it was worth signing up for Showtime again to see this but naah, I won't bother. Looks interesting though. Is MLP the one whose boyfriend dumped her for Claire Danes? Or was it the other way around? Wasn't his name Billy Ray Cyrus or some other country singer-like name? God, I miss Fametracker, I can't keep up with celeb gossip anymore.

Cuff Links

Cuff Links

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2005 @ 5:01 PM

I like that it's about pot and might have some sane things to say about our ridiculous drug laws. But because it's Showtime, I have a sneaking suspicious that it's going to be a lot of "Life as a suburban pot dealer sure is wacky! Oh no! My mother in law is giving us a surprise visit! Hide the gro-lights!" Oh and how soon will they have the "Very Special Episode"? You know the one: MLP is thinking about giving up her secret "business" and change her mind...because her best friend is dying of cancer or AIDS and needs the medical marijuana!"

Becka

Becka

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2005 @ 5:48 AM

Is MLP the one whose boyfriend dumped her for Claire Danes? Or was it the other way around? Wasn't his name Billy Ray Cyrus or some other country singer-like name?

Billy Crudup dumped MLP for Claire when MLP was like 7 months pregnant with his child.

I probably won't watch this show because I generally hate MLP and I don't have Showtime. But my parents do so I might look for it when I'm at their house sometime.

Edited by Becka, Aug 6, 2005 @ 5:51 AM.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2005 @ 10:20 AM

I won't be ordering Showtime just to see this. If it's good, I might ultimately rent the DVD.

This is yet another of these "premise funny" shows (thanks, Bravo) that could be weak in execution. And since my experiences with Showtime shows have not been the most positive, I don't have the highest of hopes for this one. But you never know.

Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill

Posted Aug 7, 2005 @ 8:18 PM

I am giving this show a shot purely to reward Showtime for having the balls to produce it....

snow scorpion

snow scorpion

Posted Aug 7, 2005 @ 10:53 PM

I don't watch anything on Showtime since they cancelled Dead Like Me

KBear

KBear

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2005 @ 11:50 PM

For this being the first episode it was pretty good. Not great but it didn't suck. I think it has the ingredients to be a good show. I like Mary Louise Parker and Elizabeth Perkins as the leads. There wasn't anyone in the cast I didn't like. I'll have a better idea after a few episodes if I'll continue to watch this show. I hear the show is suppose to continue to get better and really take off by the fourth episode so I'll keep watching.

Jake

Jake

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2005 @ 11:56 PM

I liked what I saw tonight. MLP was funny, and several of the jokes were LOL funny...and I expect a lot from a sitcom. I hope the next few live up to the promise.

Edited by Jake, Aug 7, 2005 @ 11:57 PM.

Jet Black

Jet Black

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 1:09 AM

Better than Huff, but that's not saying much. I'll give it a try too.

Edited: This show is significantly better than Huff, is only 30 minutes long and I'm going to make it a point to watch the whole run.

Edited by Jet Black, Aug 8, 2005 @ 11:50 AM.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 6:57 AM

Damn, I forgot about it! That's the one time the massive repeats on these cable channels are a blessing -- I know it will be on again several times. Since a couple of you liked it, I'll take that as a reason to set it up on the DVR for now.

teriweaver

teriweaver

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 8:40 AM

I thought it was a fabulous show....I am looking forward to having something to watch again.

wildstah78

wildstah78

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 9:59 AM

I agree.

SeagullCrap

SeagullCrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 1:16 PM

I liked it, but I hope the kid gets straightened out. Is the show about his dealing with his father's death or about her selling pot? Cause one's funny, the other? not so much.

As long as they center on MLP, I'm good. and I hope Kevin Nealon gets more to do. He can help.

mp405

mp405

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 1:47 PM

I really liked it, as well. Perhaps the general ass-kickery of MLP was a bit over the top, but I've loved her since Fried Green Tomatoes, so I can handle it. Could someone fill me in on what happened in the last minute or so? My Tivo cut it off just as she was going to visit her suppliers again.

potzrebie

potzrebie

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 3:21 PM

Loved it! Nothing is as it seems in that 'burb. Loved the TeddyRuxpincam and MLP sticking her leg out to trip that "fuckwad" that was chasing her son! So she's not only the dealer, but also serves as the enforcer of the proper way to smoke pot, AKA The Tokinator. The theme song is perfect.

Edited by potzrebie, Aug 8, 2005 @ 3:23 PM.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 4:29 PM

Could someone fill me in on what happened in the last minute or so? My Tivo cut it off just as she was going to visit her suppliers again.

Her supplier stepped out onto the porch and, after a bit of wavering, she collapsed, sobbing, into his arms. Supplier Guy got this funny "Ummm..." look on his face and called, "You got any of that cake you made last night? White woman's having a time out here," back into the house. Heylia then yelled something about the crazy white woman getting her own damn cake.

I was expecting it to completely suck and was very pleasantly surprised when it didn't. The kids, in particular, were unannoying in the extreme, and I normally hate kids on TV.

cricket73

cricket73

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 4:47 PM

I'll tell you right now what will kill this show if they don't remediate the situation pronto - Point #1 - They have too many character, many of them w/ really good potential, played by really good seasoned actors, nevermind some really good possible new actors that need more screen time, quite simply sitcom time is 3-4 main characters. Anything more your into 1 hr showtime. It would not kill SHO to run this at 40/47 min. like Dead Like Me - Point #2 They don't have a run- in show or a follow-up show. Does SHO have plans for one? Networks usually tack new shows onto established ones this does not bode well, ESPECIALLY FOR A HALF HOUR SHOW - see Point #1.

Benito

Benito

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 6:18 PM

As long as they center on MLP, I'm good.

Hey, frankly nobody's Mom is THAT hot. Okay, somebody's has to be, but I didn't have any around where I grew up.

I found the show entertaining, even at the points where it was a bit too obvious.

I was expecting it to completely suck and was very pleasantly surprised when it didn't. The kids, in particular, were unannoying in the extreme, and I normally hate kids on TV.

Hey, they cursed, had sex, and generally didn't look into the camera to deliver the moppet-inspired lesson of the week. Sure, there's a fantasy about kids being pure, but it's got no place in a show about Suburban moms selling weed.

Jersee

Jersee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 9:14 PM

Forget MLP man. Elizabeth Perkins is the scene stealer. More of her next week. She is effin hilarious. "Isabelly" Heh! Priceless. The little boy Shane was the voice of Nemo of the smash hit movie Finding Nemo. I thought he did good he didn't feed off the camera (Look at me I am the cute kid) like most child actors do. Overall I would rate the pilot a 7. Hopefully it will find its flow next week.

Hugin

Hugin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 10:27 PM

I'm a little wary of the Sassy Black Folks. But overall I liked it. I'll give it some more viewings at least.

dietcoke

dietcoke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 11:00 PM

I thought it was really good. I knew it would suffer from the inevitable "Desperate Housewives" comparisons, but apparently it was filmed before DH aired.

I'm a little wary of the Sassy Black Folks

Me too, but I'm hopeful that it won't be trite. It was a bit cliched, but it was still funny.

Out of curiousity -- does anyone think it would be better received if it were on HBO instead of Showtime? I can't tell how much of people's opinion of Showtime affects their reaction to a show.

Tyco Brahe

Tyco Brahe

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 11:05 PM

I liked the actors, I have showtime on demand so I watched the 15 or so minute "making of" type program and I enjoyed this. The show itself, not so much. The actors were all fine, some inspired line readings sprinkled throughout. My problem was that I didn't like ANY of the characters. I thought they were all selfish, cynical often creepy jerks. Young, old, white, black, I couldn't relate or root for anybody. And I LOVE the self-absorbed gang on HBO's Entourage. Hell I find myself rooting for some of the teens on Laguna Beach....but with this show nada so far. I didn't even like MLP's character. I didn't laugh at much either. I'm all for the premise, but....sorry.

mp405

mp405

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 11:14 PM

Thanks, Demian!

Hugin: I'm wary of the "Sassy Black Folk" cliche as well, but I'm hoping that Weeds is using it somewhat ironically; the interaction between MLP and the supply family seems to have potential for a deeper focus later on. And the fact that they are who she went to on the verge of breakdown implies that they are not only there for Dy-no-mite comedy.

Jake

Jake

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2005 @ 12:11 AM

And the fact that they are who she went to on the verge of breakdown implies that they are not only there for Dy-no-mite comedy.

mp405 I completely agree. That last scene showed the possibilities this show might have. That scene showed to me the disconnect between the life she has to lead in suburbia and what she does to support that lifestyle, versus the real world life of what she is doing, just like her supply family. The real world...that scene cemented my initial like for this show.

Hugin

Hugin

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2005 @ 9:39 AM

Yeah, I'm willing to give them time to develop the black characters a bit. I'm also wondering if there will be a little something happening between her and the one guy she started crying on.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2005 @ 11:48 AM

Could someone fill me in on what happened in the last minute or so? My Tivo cut it off just as she was going to visit her suppliers again.

In addition to the scene Demian supplied, we also had a scene of Celia plugging in the PinkBearCam to replay. The first image is that of some white dude in flagrante with some Asian gal (Celia's hubby and the tennis pro, we'll presume). Celia looks surprised and disgusted. We then cut to an image of Quinn walking up to the cam, flipping the bird to the lens and mouthing 'fuck you.' Celia, wineglass in hand, calls her daughter a not-nice name that starts with C. Ruh-roh.

The ep went longer than 30 minutes, which is why vcrs and dvrs cut out. This is unkind of programmers and the folks in charge of loading the schedule grids-- I hope they don't repeat this mistake.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Aug 9, 2005 @ 12:10 PM

The first image is that of some white dude in flagrante with some Asian gal (Celia's hubby and the tennis pro, we'll presume). Celia looks surprised and disgusted. We then cut to an image of Quinn walking up to the cam, flipping the bird to the lens and mouthing 'fuck you.' Celia, wineglass in hand, calls her daughter a not-nice name that starts with C.

How could I have forgotten this? It's not just that her husband is on tape screwing the Asian tennis pro -- it's also that the daughter managed to catch the two in the act just as the tennis pro was jamming the racket up his ass. Hee. And Celia ends the whole thing by muttering, "I should have had an abortion." Hehehehehe.

I'm a little wary of the Sassy Black Folks.

The only review I read (in the New York Times) promised that Heylia and her family won't stay uni-dimensional for long.

Edited by Demian, Aug 9, 2005 @ 12:10 PM.