The Mole (Australia)

• Please log in to reply

416 replies to this topic

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 2:05 AM

The Mole is back next month.

However all is not good. They've replaced Grant Bowler. Our Grant. Yummy very watchable Grant.

With effing TOM "keep yer shirt on" Williams!!!

TOM Williams' star just keeps on rising.

After four years at The Great Outdoors , a stint on Room for Improvement and a spin around the dance floor, the man with possibly Australia's best-loved chest will now host The Mole.

Williams, 34, replaces Grant Bowler for the show's fifth series but, thankfully for his legion of fans, he also will continue his role on the travel show.

The Mole, which premieres in August, includes a trapeze artist, a retired detective, a pro surfer and a rockstar

Geesus! This is akin to replacing Dicko with Vyle!

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 3:42 AM

What? Seriously... what?

Grant Bowler had the VOICE to do the Mole. How is Tom and his stupid wussy, goofy voice going to be all espionage-y and ominous and shit? What a bad move. Channel 7 irriates me no end how they just slot in their contracted "celebrities" into anything. Dicko for My Restaurant Rules much?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 5:10 AM

Now you know what we American Mole fans went through when Anderson Cooper was replaced by Ahmad Rashad for Celebrity Mole. Ahmad's first season wasn't the greatest, but he fit in better in his second. Perhaps with luck, something similar will happen for you.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 5:52 AM

SVNBob, thahks for your kind thoughts. We're seriously doubting it though. Tom Williams is the guy who won our "Dancing With The Stars" season 2, and right at this freaking minute he's "hosting" one of those Desperate Housewives cast interview filler shows. "cos the girlies love him, they've got him hosting anything that moves.

Dawei, you got it in one. Grant Bowler had the VOICE for it. it'd be like replacing the Philiminator on The Amazing Race with Pauly Shore.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 9:49 AM

Tom's pretty to look at, and I quite enjoy him on Great Outdoors because it doesn't require any serious speaking/hosting abilities, so he can just be himself and it doesn't grate. But a big fat WORD to those of you who said he just doesn't have the voice for The Mole.

Grant was a superb host for The Mole. Why they felt the need to replace him I'll never know.

Still excited to have the show back though.

A&S' Mommy, don't even joke about a Phil-less TAR!

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 8:15 PM

So does this mean they're going to bring back The Weakest Link with Noni Hazelhurst hosting? Tom's lovely, but that's half the problem with putting him in this show.

So what was the problem with GB? Is he no longer available? I can't imagine that they would decide to give him the arse.

Dawei

Dawei

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 10:46 PM

He does that Border Security show on 7. Surely it can't be that taxing he can't host a reality show for a few weeks? He's even still with the network!

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 11:04 PM

It's called getting Tom face (and chest) onto as many shows as possible. I think it's called a Q factor. They do focus groups and that sort of shite to see who would be popular.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 11:30 PM

I was reading this on another forum. Apparently 'twas in the Daily Telegraph...

A fifth series of Seven show "The Mole" will be shot in New Zealand with participants flying back to Sydney each week to find out who is leaving the show in a segment which will go to air live.

More than 4000 people applied for the show after an appeal on the channel's website. The final casting of 12 should be finalised this week and filming will start the first week of August.

I've got no qualms if they wanna film the show in NZ, in fact I'm all for it, because NZ rocks my socks and I love seeing stuff about it on travel shows and whatnot, (particularly if I can squeal and point, "OMG we've been there!" and relive the magic). But if they're gonna shoot the show in NZ, then what the fuck is the point of flying everyone back to Australia for every elimination?

I'm not sure how much stock to put in that info though, because they say that filming starts the first week of August, and that eliminations are gonna be shown live, so if that's the case then they should already be advertising it, which they're not.

And a quote from a blurb in Brisbane's Sunday paper that's got me a tad worried....

"I'm excited to be offered the lead gig," Williams said. "With four years on The Great Outdoors this show is is right up my alley"

Has he ever actually watched The Mole before? He is aware that it isn't all light hearted fun and games like the cool stuff he gets to do on The Great Outdoors, isn't he? Unless they've gone and retooled the show to make it more lighthearted and fun to suit the new host, in which case I'll be pissed off.

And another quote....

Either way, The Great Outdoors producer Daryll Maguire reckons Williams will cope just fine.

"He's a nice bloke and very much a knockaround guy, and that comes across in all the work he does," he said. "Tom's done Room For Improvement, The Great Outdoors, the dancing and now this. He's turning out to be one of Seven's big names and you have to be diverse for that."

Executive producer of The Mole David Mason says Williams, who is taking over from Grant Bowler but will continue to do travel stories for The Great Outdoors, will bring a freshness to the show.

"The Mole is all about perception," he said. "Tom is outwardly everyone's best friend, but every now and then we will see a darker side of him."

I find it very hard to believe that Tom Williams has a "darker side". Tom is sweet as pie and always flashing that million dollar grin and laughing....which is what I love about him....and which is why he can't host a show like The Mole.

With Grant, he still had the nice guy vibe, but there most definitely was a sinister side lurking there. I'd love how he'd be about to explain a difficult challenge to the contestants, and he'd kinda get this sly little grin and a twinkle in his eye, and you just knew he was thinking, "They're totally gonna shit themselves when I tell them what they've gotta do....this is gonna be so much fun." And he was able to be cold and detatched during eliminations.

I just can't see Tom being the same. He's too much of a nice, friendly guy, bless him.

If we're throwing suggetions for Tom's TWoP name into the ring, I'd like to suggest NotGrant. :P

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 12:03 AM

I was all excited about seeing this thread pop up it's little head and then I read that Tom was hosting it. Bloody hell, this man is turning into Seven's answer to Eddie Maguire and Catriona Rowntree. Shudder.

Curiosity question - the last season was set in New Caledonia wasn't it? I went there for a week last year with my school and I spent the whole time saying 'Oh The Mole went here, and The Mole went there' but now I'm doubting myself that teh show even went to New Caledonia.

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 12:18 AM

No, I think you're right. I seem to remember them touting it as The Mole in Paradise or something along those lines.

hazza123

hazza123

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 2:23 AM

Wow, I can't beleive there actually bringing this show back. I am really excited about seeing it again. I am really unexcited about Tom Williams hosting it. There is no way he will be a satisfactory replacement to Grant Bowler.

Still, we are getting the Mole back. Hopefully the contestants will be a step up from this years Big Brother HMs CoughAsshatbrigade,Chrusty,PoombahofPositivityCough, as I am really in the need of seeing normal people of reality TV again.

Edited by hazza123, Jul 26, 2005 @ 2:23 AM.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2005 @ 2:32 AM

Short blurb from today's Brissie paper...

Aussie Mole in NZ

Tom "the chest" Williams will front the fifth series of The Mole. Williams, 34, replaces Grant Bowler as host of the Channel 7 reality series, which will be shot in Nw Zealand. As if the challenges weren't enough - bungy jumping from choppers, being plunged into underground caves and lying chained next to thermal geysers - the participants have to fly back to Sydney each week for a live elimination show. The Mole starts next month.

CTarnak

CTarnak

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2005 @ 1:08 AM

Add me to the "Tom Williams is a retarded bogan and has no place on a show that revolves around subterfuge and cunning" brigade. Hopefully this will be the start of a Tom related backlash, and he's have to do something like pose nude in Cleo to salvage his plummeting career.

I absolutely adore the Mole. Remember that series with the Asian girl Tiao or something, and she squandered about $5000 from the kitty because she wanted her tickle-me Elmo doll back? Or that trucker guy who said when he found the Mole, he was going to wring his or her neck? Like, get some perspective dude, it's a game.

Oh good times. I'd rather be on the Mole than any other reality show. It just seems fun, and it's different every single week (unlike BB FNL, which has basically had the same obstacle course 13 weeks in a row).

Aussie Andrew

Aussie Andrew

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2005 @ 5:45 AM

I personally would like to be on the Mole since we all know Australian TV is far too cheap to ever shell out on spending for an Amazing Race. (Which I think would rock completely, until its made redundant by like 6 legs in Bali because of production costs)

But I'm far too trusting of people so I'd be the one eliminated within 3 episodes... How could we sign up for these delightful games?

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2005 @ 10:35 AM

It's funny you should mention TAR, Aussie Andrew, because I was just thinking today that The Mole is totally going to take over its timeslot.

We'll probably see Alias going into the slot about to be vacated by Lost, also, to preserve some of the JJ Abrams/Intelligent Reality Show combo that's been such a winner for 7 this year. I'm only surprised that they haven't been working the 'Coming Soon...' thing for these shows (or whatever shows they will be putting in those slots.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2005 @ 11:54 AM

I was thinking exactly the same thing about the timeslots, D. TAR has one more ep, and Lost has 3, I think. So that's both shows as usual next week, then a double ep finale of Lost the following week, then The Mole and Alias can slip right on in to the vacant spots on the schedule.

As for advertising. Well they were originally gonna bring back Alias in June, then changed their minds. Then they actually did show an Alias ad which said it was returning in August. Then I saw said ad on TV, but they'd changed the end to say coming in July. I only saw it maybe twice though, and that was a few weeks ago. You'd think that if they're gonna do the logical thing timeslot wise that they should bloody well start advertising the new shows soon.

PutNearFlan

PutNearFlan

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2005 @ 9:30 PM

Does anyone know which season is being replayed at 11am starting this week??

As for the new season elimination plan I think channel seven are just trying to capture the feel of Big Brother/Australian Idol evictions - and it's gonna suck. (does anyone remember Popstars?)

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2005 @ 10:47 PM

I really hope not. I really like the way they do eliminations on The Mole. I liked that when they got eliminated, they had to leave straight away, no time for an exit interview (apart from in the car), no nothing. It just felt cleaner than having them come out and do the whole hype thing. Also, there is more than enough suspense in the eliminations without them having to manufacture it, which is exactly what all the crap they do on Big Bogan and Australian Idol is designed to do.

If they're going to do that, does that mean that they're also going to start telling the audience who the mole is? God, I hope not. This is a show about trying to work it out yourself, not knowing something that the contestants don't (as is the case in BB)

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2005 @ 10:57 PM

Mole eliminations are of the same class as The Apprentice. You get a departure interview in the car whisking them away, then that's it.

So unless they start pimping "evictees" with Kochie & Mel the next day...

They're replaying an earlier season? Possibly a bad move (apart from the fact that we can watch and drool over Grant Bowler) because now people will have something to compare to the suckitude that will be the hostage of ShinyChestMcChippie.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2005 @ 11:43 PM

Does anyone know which season is being replayed at 11am starting this week??

I didn't realise it was gonna be on. A couple online guides I checked didn't give anything away, but didn't list it as "The Mole In Paradise", so I'm assuming it wasn't the last season.

Not really a great move on ch7 part, because if people are watching the reruns then they'll just be reminded of Grant's awesomeness, and then when NotGrant shows up hosting the new one, it's just gonna invite comparisons....and do they really want that?

hazza123

hazza123

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2005 @ 2:50 AM

I personally would like to be on the Mole since we all know Australian TV is far too cheap to ever shell out on spending for an Amazing Race. (Which I think would rock completely, until its made redundant by like 6 legs in Bali because of production costs)

Aussie Andrew, please don't mention the possibility of an AUS TAR, your making me drool with anticipation.

Then again, the Chest would probably host it knowing the way 7 are at the moment

Aussie Andrew

Aussie Andrew

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2005 @ 3:36 AM

Oh, but Hazza123, there's next to NO chance of that happening! To quote effie - How dissapointment.

edit - Can't you think of the awful bali legs? "Go to the famous Jail and retrieve your next clue from Schappelle Corby" "Go to the Bali Bombing Memorial" "Remember the Bali Coup..."

I can see them milking it for all its worth to be honest, because lets face it, Australian TV doesn't exactly shell out.

Edited by Aussie Andrew, Aug 1, 2005 @ 3:43 AM.

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2005 @ 5:35 AM

"Go to the famous Jail and retrieve your next clue from Schappelle Corby"

BWAH!

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2005 @ 5:39 AM

Hey, after watching The Great Outdoors, Ch7 are doing this as a cost cutting exercise. They can get a shitload of stories from NZ whilst he's hosting.

Dwarfola

Dwarfola

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 1, 2005 @ 7:06 AM

At risk of this turning into the Aussie TAR thread, and not the Mole thread, I would like to raise the spectre of Australian Survivor as a great reason why an Aussie TAR will and should never be seriously considered by TPTB!

And on topic, boo for Tom! Maybe Grant's doing the next series of Dancing With the Stars so he couldn't commit to the Mole! Here's hoping.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2005 @ 1:15 AM

edit - Can't you think of the awful bali legs? "Go to the famous Jail and retrieve your next clue from Schappelle Corby"

BWAH indeed! I thought perhaps they could have a bodyboarding task of some description. Or maybe they could have a leg like in TAR where they had to carry that gnome around and the one with a plane on it won the prize.....only this time they have to cart around a body board bag and whoever has the "surprise" inside (and gets to the Pitstop without being arrested) wins an all expenses paid holiday....to Bali of course.

MrPhee read somewhere that it's season 1 they're replaying at 11am. Dunno where he read that though, so don't quote me.

I'm assuming we won't be getting the new Mole til the 25th, which is the last Thursday in August. Alias apparently starts on the 11th at 9:30, and with that plus the remaining Lost eps, I don't see how they could have a free slot if they wanna show it on Thursday before the 25th, and that's only if they show the Lost finale as a double ep on the 18th, which will mean Alias will get bumped for that week, too...which would be a pretty stupid move, to premiere Alias on the 11th, then not have it on the following week due to the Lost finale. Unless they stick The Mole on at 7:30 instead of Las Vegas for at least a couple of weeks.

I should really give up trying to get inside the heads of ch7 programming execs. Even they don't know what they're thinking, so my efforts are futile.

hazza123

hazza123

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2005 @ 2:06 AM

BWAH indeed! I thought perhaps they could have a bodyboarding task of some description. Or maybe they could have a leg like in TAR where they had to carry that gnome around and the one with a plane on it won the prize.....only this time they have to cart around a body board bag and whoever has the "surprise" inside (and gets to the Pitstop without being arrested) wins an all expenses paid holiday....to Bali of course.

Best.Post.Ever. Someone needs to forward this post the people who design the TAR tasks.

Aussie Andrew

Aussie Andrew

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2005 @ 2:18 AM

Oh, it IS season 1. Alan is the Mole.
Its interesting to see Abby again, and then realize she got a brief TV gig after this all on the now defunct Couch Potato. I always kind of liked Linda for being rather feisty, along with Jan.

I had to watch this morning and that Joesphene girl, introduced to golf had some interesting questions.
"Now lets go play a hole"
"what's a hole?"

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Rob

Rob

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 2, 2005 @ 2:32 AM

I like Tom Williams. Admittely because he is total eye candy (and he can dance which I just find sexy). I'd just turn my TV to mute and just watch him that way. ;)

I actually have not watched The Mole for several years now (I vaguely remember Series 1 & 2). I admit though Grant Bowler was hella good. Heck I even watched "Medivac" because of him (and now, that show truly bit the big one).

*Cough* I'd loved to have an Aussie TAR. We did have 'Race Around the World' on the ABC which I did love and wish was still around (even if it gave us John Safron *puke*).