The Bob Newhart Show: AKA The "Hi, Bob" Drinking Game

• Please log in to reply

377 replies to this topic

sunny742

sunny742

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2005 @ 8:59 PM

Are there fans of the Bob Newhart Show out there? I was not born when it originally aired but loved watching it in reruns on TvLand. I bought the first season as soon as it came out on dvd and even have Hi Bob! The Self-Guide to "The Bob Newhart Show"

I think my favorite character on the show is Mr. Carlin. He is so funny. " I haven't had problems since we last met except yesterday I was possessed by the devil."

Edited by sunny742, Jul 22, 2005 @ 9:12 PM.

nothing new

nothing new

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2005 @ 9:06 PM

It was announced the other day that the second season is coming out this October, and unlike the first season, which had no extras but sold really well, the second season will have five commentary tracks by Newhart and other cast members like Marcia Wallace (Marcia Wallace) and Jack Riley (Mr. Carlin).

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2005 @ 11:07 PM

Oh, I'm so glad! Watching the PBS American Masters special on Bob Newhart brought back my affection for both series. I'd love to revisit them, especially since no one seems to be broadcasting them now.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2005 @ 12:14 AM

Carol Kester (Marcia Wallace). Big Red. Even though I was just a kid when the Bob Newhart Show was on, I felt bad for Carol, who was funny, efficient, loyal and good-hearted but could never find the right guy. I was happy when she found her Mr. Bondurant, even though he was a bit of a weenie.

"Hi Bob!" [Drink.]

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2005 @ 9:07 AM

Carol had some of my favorite lines on that show.

In the one where they run an ad in the classifieds to get rid of all their old furniture and they misspell 'grandfather clock' as 'ganderfeather clock', which leads to merriment, Carol got the last word when she arrived late and said "Aw, you sold the ganderfeather clock." Deadpan was her specialty and she did it wonderfully well.

Then, in the episode where she married Larry Bondurant, her first entrance was stepping off the elevator on a day when a large church organ had been mistakenly delivered on their floor and was plopped down in the lobby near her station, with Bob and Jerry, et al, puzzling over how to deal with it, and she told them she was getting married at City Hall, but would have arranged to do it at the office if she'd known they were getting an organ...

GenerationX

GenerationX

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2005 @ 6:14 PM

I used to watch this show as a little kid. The most memorable scene to me was when the gang all went to a fun, sit-down ice cream store where they could order any crazy combination of a zillion flavors. Someone at a neighboring table ordered something called "The Whale" and the wait staff served it singing "You can't do it. You can't eat the whale." Everyone at the table orders something interesting, except Bob, who orders a single scoop of vanilla ice cream. As it's served to him, the wait staff sings "Single scooper, single scooper, this man is a party pooper". Hehe.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2005 @ 7:42 PM

Ah, the ice cream parlor episode was wonderful -- a classic. Poor Bob trying to order something modest so as not to attract notice, and getting sung at because of it. And the giddy waiter who led the singing? John Ritter.

Larry Bondurant (Will Mackenzie), by the way, recently recorded a DVD commentary: for a Season 2 Moonlighting episode that he directed (since Bob Newhart, Mackenzie has been primarily a director).

Great news that season 2 will be on the way! I think this is one series that kept getting better (maybe a little slump toward the end, but not of serious magnitude).

Edited by Rinaldo, Jul 25, 2005 @ 7:33 PM.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 10:41 AM

Hi Rinaldo!

My favorite episode is the Thanksgiving episode. Hmm I think I'll have Moo Goo Gai Pan for lunch. Heh, I wonder how badly I messed up that spelling.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 12:56 PM

My favorite episode is the Thanksgiving episode.

The Thanksgiving ep is laugh-your-ass-off funny!

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 6:49 PM

That's one of my favorite episodes of any TV show, period. A masterpiece.

"Knock knock..."
"Don't cry."

Even a pre-'party' scene uses Bob's deadpan to great, odd effect:

(Reading what Mr. Carlin wrote) "Happy Halloween, Elliot Carlin, boo.", which is how Bob said it.

"Death of a Fruitman" was great, too. Can anyone remember the poem verbaitim? I only remember specifically the 'last line' that Carol inadvertantly came up with announcing the bad news (I won't write it here; it's funnier in context)

One of my favorite scenes in the series is when Bob and Emily are being held up in their apartment by one of Bob's patients, hands against the wall, and Howard comes in and thinks the wall is caving in. Even well after Bob talks the patient out of it, Howard, alone, is still 'holding up the wall'!

Edited by Mibbitmaker, Jul 25, 2005 @ 6:49 PM.

nothing new

nothing new

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 7:24 PM

Mr. Peterson: You helped us all in every way.
Mr. Carlin: You got inside our head.
Michelle: And that is why we'd like to say...
Carol: Mr. Gianelli's dead!
Mrs. Bakerman: Well, that rhymes.

I also liked that they revealed, posthumously, what Mr. Gianelli's contribution to the poem was, and his line was: "Peterson's a twerp."

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 5:13 PM

The thing about moo goo gai pan (which you spelled correctly, M. Darcy!), is that while it sounds very exotic, it's actually a pretty bland recipe. I remember Laura Petrie going wild for moo goo gai pan in an episode of Tthe Dick Van Dyke Show, and years later, when I finally tried it, I was totally perplexed. I think writers just like the sound of moo goo gai pan!

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 5:56 PM

Well, but also, that's the sort of "Chinese" food that suburbanites (like me, I hasten to add -- no ridicule implied) liked at that time. It sounds exotic, but it actually tasted comfortable and familiar and unthreatening, the way we liked it.

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 9:46 PM

Besides, how else to get such goodies as:

"Moo goo goo goo"
and
"More goo to go!"

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2005 @ 7:40 AM

Exactly my point, Mibbitmaker -- it's a great name for jokes. And you're right, Rinaldo, it was a "comfortable" dish that sounded a lot more exotic than it was!

After recently seeing both the PBS special about Bob and the repeat of his Mark Twain honors, I really wish some station in my area would pick up either of his shows again. It's been quite a while since I saw either.

contretemps

contretemps

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 27, 2005 @ 7:58 AM

I wish Nick at Nite or TV Land would put it on at night again, along with Mary Tyler Moore, Newhart(Vermont), Dick Van Dyke,Wonder Years, Murphy Brown and Wings at a reasonable hour, even Coach. What the hell happened to these two channels? They used to have a potpourri of old sitcoms but now there are endless loops of Fresh Prince, Cosby, Good Times,Roseanne and the execrable Full House. Once in awhile, there's a random Leave it to Beaver and who watches that?

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2005 @ 12:38 AM

Every time I turn it on, it seems they're airing "Three's Company." Which means I don't turn it on very often anymore.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 11:19 AM

Season 3 of The Bob Newhart Show appeared on DVD today. With commentaries, and a little interview (interspersed with clips) by Bob himself. I'm so happy this show is being made available in this way; it's just the sort of thing I might have feared would get ignored on homevideo.

Go forth and buy, all ye who miss "Hi Bob!"

Jeaux35

Jeaux35

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 1:51 PM

the execrable Full House

Some things are not classic. Some things need to fade into history, never to be seen again. That show (FH) qualifies.

Edited by Jeaux35, Apr 12, 2006 @ 1:51 PM.

dorakpasa

dorakpasa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 2:53 PM

Does anyone know how TVLand and Nick at Nite decide on shows? Enough of Cosby, Full House, Roseanne, Fresh Prince, LHOP, Waltons. Please some Newhart, MTM, Dick Van Dyke, Wonder Years, Family Ties (which was on for a blink of an eye), Coach. I'd even watch Love Boat or Love, American Style!!

Loved the Bob Newhart Show. Loved that they didn't have kids. Loved how they used this show for the Newhart finale. Bob Newhart has been one of my favorite comedians for a long time.

No Touching

No Touching

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 3:01 PM

With the rate Nick at Nite is going, they're going to defeat the original purpose of the network in a few years. They've just added Mad about Year to their lineup, a show that hasn't even been off the air for ten years. Soon they'll no doubt start airing reruns of network shows still on the air. If The Bob Newhart Show returns to cable, it would most likely be on TV Land, which at least has a broader assortment of programs (but is usually just filled up with recently retired Nick at Nite shows).

I agree that this show was great. I respect Bob Newhart so much for not caving in and giving Bob and Emily children. This program was the Fraiser of the '70s - a smart, sophisticated show in the mold of a traditional sitcom.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 4:41 PM

And it didn't get noticed as much as it should have, at the time, because it ran right after Mary Tyler Moore. I'm so glad to have it available now, uncut and complete.

And I still marvel at the casting of Suzanne Pleshette as Emily. There was nothing in her previous career to suggest that this would be a right move for her (a stage-seasoned "serious" actress), but she was perfect -- perfectly believable as the character, wonderfully funny, delightfully sarcastic, and (who'd have guessed it?) the ideal foil for Bob.

On just looking her up online, I was astonished to read that she and Tom Poston ("the Peeper") got married 5 years ago. I had no idea.

Edited by Rinaldo, Apr 12, 2006 @ 4:45 PM.

dorakpasa

dorakpasa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 5:00 PM

Oh, the story about Suzanne and Tom is so sweet. They've known each other for years and were attracted to each other but involved with others. When they both became single, they reunited, fell in love all over again. Just awwwww.

Butterstick

Butterstick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 6:23 PM

I always enjoyed this show. Bob's deadpan humor was great.

One episode, other than the Thanksgiving one, that sticks out in my mind is where Emily was promoted over this guy for a higher position at school.

Emily thinks the man is going to get it, and invites he and his wife over. Of course, by the time they get there they know Emily has the job and they are not happy. But they bring some wine called, "Ping."

Bob reads the label and it says, "Ping. Made from real grapes." Then as he's pouring it, he says something like, "More Ping. Be careful of the seeds." It's just the way he does that whole scene I think is funny.

There was another episode where he and Howard go grocery shopping, and as they are at the store a special is announced over the loudspeaker.."Attention customers. The special in our meat department is meat." That's when he was trying to read Emily's handwriting and couldn't figure out what ipps were until she told him that was eggs.

Stuckinowhere

Stuckinowhere

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 6:29 PM

As much as I liked the show Newhart in the eighties, it was so awesome to see it turn out to all be Bob Hartley's dream!

BewareThePhog

BewareThePhog

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 10:37 PM

This was a wonderful and underrated show - I'm just glad that it's getting released on DVD, and that the release didn't stall out with the first season. Of course, having said that, I need to get out and get both seasons 2 & 3 once I finish my current SportsNight viewing cycle.

Oh, and if any of you have the chance to see him doing his standup routine, by all means do so. I saw him about a year ago, and he was amazingly funny. He did a little bit of his older classic material, but he also did a lot of things I'd never heard before.

Edited by BewareThePhog, Apr 12, 2006 @ 10:39 PM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 10:45 PM

I've just finished watching a couple of the commentaries by Newhart and Peter Bonerz. Bonerz maybe gets a little heavy on the philosophy-of-comedy at times (he's done mostly sitcom directing for the last couple decades), but he has some interesting things to say about his experiences on this and other shows. Comes close to telling tales out of school, in fact, with comments like "If Jennifer Aniston says gibberish with the right rhythm on Friends, the studio audience will laugh because it's her and they had to wait for hours to get in, so of course it's great." And how he never directed any Barney Miller because they would keep taping till 3 or 4 in the morning. And the difference between "filmed in front of a live studio audience" back then, and now.

Oh -- and this season is the one with the ice cream parlor sequence, with John Ritter as the waiter. Classic comic fabulousness, maybe my favorite sequence of the whole series. "Single scooper, single scooper, this man is a party pooper!"

Edited by Rinaldo, May 2, 2006 @ 10:15 PM.

jonnypaul12

jonnypaul12

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2006 @ 9:11 AM

Hi all! Just wanted to pop in to say that this show is beyond awesome. I actually first got to see scenes from it when they did the 20th (19th!) anniversary show, and have loved it ever since. Some of my favorite moments: the classic elevator episode where everyone keeps screwing up Death's nicknames ("I felt icy shivers up and down my spine." "That's 'Old Black Magic!'"), almost anything with Mr. Carlin ("Quick, Peterson--jump while you got the chance!"), and Emily throwing the banana cream pie in Bob's face ("NOW I'm mad.") My absolute favorite is when Bob is counseling Mr. Carlin and is trying to make a hearfelt argument for depending on your friends, but ends up segueing into the lyrics of "People". Mr. Carlin's reaction is hysterical.

Bob: Mr. Carlin, we're people. And people need each other. And I think that once you realize that people need people, you'll see that--that we're the luckiest people in the world!

Mr Carlin: Yeah. It's a feeling deep in your soul. Once you were half, now you're whole.

Bob: Something along those lines, yes.

Mr. Carlin: No more hunger or thirst...

Bob: ALL RIGHT, MR. CARLIN!

On a personal note, I got to sit next to "Bob" (his statue on the couch at Navy Pier in Chicago) while on vacation a couple of months ago. Just walking down the street, and there he was! Got of picture with him and my whole family, too.

Edited by jonnypaul12, Apr 15, 2006 @ 3:57 PM.

Ouisch

Ouisch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2006 @ 1:14 PM

Bob: Mr. Carlin, we're people. And people need each other. And I think that once you realize that people need people, you'll see that--that we're the luckiest people in the world!

Mr Carlin: Yeah. It's a feeling deep in your soul. Once you were half, now you're whole.

I always loved the exchanges between Bob and Mr. Carlin.

At my wedding shower years ago, my girlfriend (who was also a big BN fan) gave me a butter dish, with a note inside: "A butter dish is forever."

Another classic moment that comes to mind is when the Peeper and Bob have just been released from prison after being accused of soliciting two undercover police women. They're busy trying to dodge Emily and Coreen's questions, and Bob says, "Peep, have I ever shown you around the apartment? Take a look at this railing. Now that's wood, and wrought iron....... Together." And Peep replies, semi-choked up: "Makes you proud to be an American."

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2006 @ 1:33 PM

I'm so happy this show is being made available in this way; it's just the sort of thing I might have feared would get ignored on homevideo.

I was so thrilled when I saw the first season come out. . . and so surprised to see the rest coming in such quick succession. These are my go-to DVDs when I'm waiting at the airport--they do such a great job of keeping me calm.

I was astonished to read that she and Tom Poston ("the Peeper") got married 5 years ago. I had no idea.

Neither did I, and now I'm bummed because my friend dated his son for years (years ago)--I would have loved to have met her.