Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

14 replies to this topic

Well Manicured

Well Manicured

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 11:24 AM

I used to love this show when it first aired on Fox about 8 years ago and I occasionally watch the reruns on Scifi. What was so great about this show was that you got to guess which true and which were false, and the weirdest ones were true half the time which was disturbing as hell.

Like the one about the man who wrote a short story entitled "Futitlity", about the sinking of a ship called The Titan after it hits an iceberg. The story was written about 15-20 years before the sinking of the Titanic. Or the one about the body of a dead escaped criminal being mistaken for a prop by carnival goers in tunnel ride.

The dialogue and acting were sometimes kinda meh, but definitely snarkable and entertaining. Did anyone else watch this show?

ubi

ubi

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 11:44 AM

Unfortunately, most of the "true" stories were made up as well.

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2005 @ 10:09 PM

Definitely the lamest show to be in heavy rotation on Sci-Fi channel's daily schedule. Lame in a good kind of way, though, a "comfort food" kind of way. I sometimes forget the actual title because whenever I see the show I refer to it as " Truth ... or Bullshit ! "

labprincess

labprincess

Fanatic

• Interests:Watching way too much TV.

Posted Nov 1, 2005 @ 5:50 PM

I knew there had to be a thread for this show on these boards.
We used to love this show in my family, it was one of the few shows we could all agree on. I can't remember many of the episodes, but I know that a few of them really creeped me out.
How sad is it that I'm thinking of upgrading my cable so I can get the Sci-Fi Channel and watch the reruns. Ahh, nostalgia...

SueBarbri

SueBarbri

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 12:41 PM

This was probably the worst show ever made!

Remember when they replaced James Brolin (or whoever) with that fat guy with the beard? And he was all creepy, hanging out in the shadows, talking some bullshit about "this was based on a combination of true events that happened on opposite ends of the earth during different time periods." Totally bizzare!

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 12:54 PM

You mean Jonathan Frakes?

Some of the "true" stories were indeed urban myths. Like the story of the woman who wore a wedding dress stolen from her dead sister. She dropped dead because the embalming fluid seeped into her pores.

You can find many versions of this story on snopes.com

fauxpaw

fauxpaw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2009 @ 10:46 AM

Chiller has started playing Beyond Belief Fact or Fiction. They ran it this past Saturday, and they're going to run one this coming Saturday, and next Monday.

The show is awful, but awful in the best way. It's like watching the cheesy stories you'd tell when you were at camp or a sleepover.

I always think of it as Bullshit or Not, too!

I wonder how they got Brolin and Frakes to make this show?

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 10:24 AM

I don't know about Brolin, but Frakes is either a conspiracy nut or will do anything for a buck.

Edited by MyAlias, Jun 16, 2009 @ 10:24 AM.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 2:32 PM

How did they get away with a thinly veiled ripoff of Ripley's "Believe It or Not?"

I hate Mondays

I hate Mondays

Stalker

• Interests:Wasting time on the 'net, shopping, going to the movies, iTunes, adding DVDs to my collection, and spending hours in front of the TV.<br /><br />Favorite Shows: The Big Bang Theory, The Vampire Diaries, Fringe, Supernatural, The Soup, American Idol, How I Met Your Mother, Gossip Girl, The Office, Real World/Road Rules Challenges, NCIS, some Disney Channel Shows, Old Degrassi: TNG episodes and Cold Case reruns.<br /><br />*Icon by atomicbeauty_nb

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 3:48 PM

I have to admit, I kind of love this show. Sure, it's cheesy and not really believable but it is undeniably entertaining. It's one of my favorites from Sci-Fi. I never missed it when they used to air the marathons.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 3:51 PM

Chiller has started playing Beyond Belief Fact or Fiction.

Damn channel. I can think of some classic shows this channel can air but instead they air this and LAND OF THE LOST? These are not CHILLER material.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 4:15 PM

How did they get away with a thinly veiled ripoff of Ripley's "Believe It or Not?"

Also, "In Search of..." To its credit, at least "In Search of" had that "this is all bullshit" disclaimer at the beginning.

Edited by MyAlias, Jun 16, 2009 @ 4:16 PM.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 9:16 AM

I used to love this show. I felt proud of myself for detecting the pattern of when which of the stories were true, and which were false.

fauxpaw

fauxpaw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2009 @ 1:31 AM

Well, Last Time Lord and I hate Mondays, the good news is that there is a marathon on Monday, June 22. It begins at 9am and ends at 5pm (EST if you have a dish). And, it looks as if it has found a home on Chiller at 8pm on Saturdays - with repeats at 11pm for those of you with dishes on the west coast.

Time to break out the flashlights and the s'mores, because campfire story time has begun!

Also, "In Search of..." To its credit, at least "In Search of" had that "this is all bullshit" disclaimer at the beginning.

Is "In Search of..." as hilariously awful as Beyond Belief? Because, if it is, I am so on board.

Malachi

Malachi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

Oh, dear.

When I was a teenager, my then-boyfriend and I used to watch this show and compete to see who got more correct guesses. I added it to my DVR list recently and have been rewatching some episodes. The acting is terribly dreadful and cringe-inducing.

It also seems dated to me. It has a very "90s" feel, much like "The Breakfast Club" or "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," for example, have a very "80s" feel. I guess that makes sense since it is from the 1990s, but other shows produced around this time seem to me to have aged a little better.