Flip This House (A&E)

• Please log in to reply

1542 replies to this topic

davebo

davebo

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

And then driving in the car later, I heard a very perky voice talking about a great free real estate seminar, how to flip houses in just! two! steps! with none of your own money! Just call some toll-free number to register! And it was our old friend Than Merrill.

Ha. I heard the same thing recently. Iíve been watching this show a lot more since they brought back the reruns and recently was checking out the CT Homes Facebook page. Not sure about the other crews, but Than & Company appear to be doing very well. Selling lots of stuff around San Diego and pitching a lot through those seminars. With their nice-guy image and Than, the All American, Iím sure that they are selling a lot of real estate advice.

Itís interesting to look at the 3 most prominent flippers on Flip This House. Richard Davis attempted to expand his model by, he never really explained, but a Franchise model it sounded like. I think that pretty much failed.

Then there was Armando who, very typically, seemed to just throw together a garbage product and sell that to people through sleezy informercials.

And then there is CT Homes who have always appeared to be the most organized. Even before they were pitching their services, they seemed to actually have something of value that they could teach people. I remembered Paul had a huge binder of information that Iím assuming they share with their students. And I believe one of the flips they did in CT was discovered by a student of theirs.

So out of these guys, CT Homes seems to be doing the best, despite a pretty lousy market the last few years.

But yeah, back to Thanís radio commercial, he sounded like he really was turning it up a notch with the enthusiasm.

Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

I will admit to going to a seminar because the show piqued my curiousity. Here's how it worked:

Being a local person, you might be the first to notice an empty house or otherwise good deal.

You bring this to the attention of the flippers.

They run the numbers, and are looking for a house that after repairs has a total cost of 30% below the prices of other houses in the neighborhood. In other words, if the average house in the neighborhood is $200,000 then your house has to have an "all in" cost of $140,000.

If the numbers work, the flippers buy the property and supply the materials. You supply the labor. (Here's where the "you don't need your own money" part is true, but I'm also noticing that you don't have any control over the project.

They are looking for a six month time frame to fix up the house and sell it. Then, after it sells, they split the profit with you. It's some kind of sliding scale (like 30%/70% up to 50/50).

Here's my take, after attending the seminar:

Yes, it does seem legitimate that you can do this without any of your own money, but how hard is it to find a property that after repairs cost 30% less than potential selling price? It seems like that would be the hardest part.

An easier way to do this is to find a property like this and just hand it to the flippers in return for a 10% finder's fee. Then go looking for the next find.

Just thought you would like to hear from somebody who went to the seminar.

Edited by Lastkidpicked, May 31, 2012 @ 3:21 PM.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:53 PM

Saw a rerun with Armando and Veronica.  Same drama with the project manager and Randy the contractor.  Then Veronica goes in and makes demands about the kitchens.  OK, Armando is cheap but so is that market.  Don't make big design changes than involve moving plumbing.  Design around it.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 1:57 PM

Didn't Armondo get arrested or something? I think he started the whole flipping stuff for TV but I haven't heard or seen a new flip with him in years.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

He was charge with failing to deliver personal services but the charges were dismissed.

JBL228

JBL228

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

Saw a rerun with Armando and Veronica.  Same drama with the project manager and Randy the contractor.  Then Veronica goes in and makes demands about the kitchens.

I enjoy watching the reruns with these two. When it comes to Veronica wanting these elaborate changes to the kitchen, the guys are against it, knowing how Armando is not about spending more than he has to and staying within budget, but somehow Veronica never really gets the wrath of Armando. It's the guys who do the actual work and they get the wrath of Armando, even when they tell him it is Veronica's idea. Armando has to remind them that it is what he says, but in other scenes he mentions how Veronica is the best at what she does, yada yada yada, and she gets it her way.

Today they aired the San Clemente couple, the Finnegans, who have champagne taste on a beer budget. God, those two idiots annoy me to no end, and yet, I enjoy watching this episode just to watch them demand things for the home that they cannot afford. Even after Armando gets the home loan reduced by $50k, they continue to ask for expensive designs and other non-sense. What is sad about that episode, is watching those two children who have two bumbling parents who were definitely not looking out for their best interest.

Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

But yeah, back to Than’s radio commercial, he sounded like he really was turning it up a notch with the enthusiasm.

There is one thing about Than and his group that I really liked:

Their website has lots of little touches, such as mentioning Than's wife "The brains of the operation".  And the fact that he still plays as many sports as "he thinks he's still young enough to play."

Compared with how Armondo is so full of himself, its refreshing to see a guy who doesn't take himself too seriously.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2013 @ 3:15 PM

How old are the shows currently running on Saturday mornings on A&E? I actually look forward to the CT guys...for obvious reasons. Atlanta doesn't bother me much. If an Armando show pops up, I generally change the channel because he's such a raging cheap assed, egomaniacal douchepump. 

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2014 @ 2:46 PM

I'm watching repeats of FTH-Connecticut, and what stands out is that these guys give themselves 4/6 weeks to complete a remodel on a house and that guy in Vegas (Flipping Vegas) gives himself 3-4 days to totally remodel a house.

It's Wed and he'll be screaming that  this house HAS TO BE  FINISHED for the open house on Saturday.

Lori Parks reminds me of Rebel Wilson

Edited by melissa1925, Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:12 PM.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:17 PM

I really don't understand why 'Flippers' buy houses and then try to remodel them in the dead of winter ?

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 2:31 PM

I really don't understand why 'Flippers' buy houses and then try to remodel them in the dead of winter ?

Because spring is the prime time for real estate transactions? At least, it is in my area of the country. Families want to buy/sell near the end of the school year so that they have the summer to relocate and settle in before the kids go back to school in the fall. That means they're out looking in earnest in March.

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 12:16 PM

Because spring is the prime time for real estate transactions?

Also any work done under a house (bugs and spiders are hiding) or in an attic (hot) is much more comfortable in cold weather than warm weather. 

Edited by TheOverdog, Feb 13, 2014 @ 12:17 PM.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 8:53 PM

uote

Because spring is the prime time for real estate transactions? At least, it is in my area of the country. Families want to buy/sell near the end of the school year so that they have the summer to relocate and settle in before the kids go back to school in the fall. That means they're out looking in earnest in March.

Prices are lower and contractors aren't as busy in the NE (except for repairs).