Actor: Jesse Spencer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1505 replies to this topic

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 11:04 AM

Given the separate threads for HL and House, and for RSL and Wilson, I thought I'd make a separate one for Jesse Spencer. Especially considering how we all reacted to this link.

labyrinth

labyrinth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 1:58 PM

Great idea, aquarian1! And if people didn't take the time to visit the other galleries on that site, here's a quick link to the gallery for his movie Stranded which has many more yummy pics!

Red Snapper

Red Snapper

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 1:58 PM

So was Jesse Spencer some kind of hearthrob in Australia because of the Neighbors/Billy Kennedy thing? Australians?

flicks09

flicks09

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 2:46 PM

I can't speak for the Aussies, but he was certainly prominent in the UK teen mags during his Neighbours years, since that soap is pretty popular here. I managed to unhook myself many years ago but one of the reasons I started watching House was out of a curiousity to see Jesse in a non-Billy role. Plus the fact that I heard House rocked. Which it does.

There were some rumours back in the day that Jesse was in the running for the role of Anakin Skywalker, that went to Hayden Christensen. I remember going to the E! Online site one day and being greeted with a picture of him under the headline "Is this the new Darth Vader?" or some such. Does anyone else recall this?

freebie

freebie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 3:35 PM

There's an extremely detailed site devoted to Neighbours; here's a link to the Billy Kennedy page. Lots of action and plot twists packed into only six years. Also, I love the bit at the end about the BBC censoring the Billy-loses-his-virginity storyline and the fan-voted awards he won ("Dolly Prince of Soap" and "King of TV"). As for the Anakin Skywalker rumor, I read that, too, but can't remember where. It was fairly recent though, maybe in the press that accompanied House starting to air on Five in the UK?

Edited by freebie, Jul 14, 2005 @ 3:38 PM.

BermudaSquareGirl22

BermudaSquareGirl22

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 4:45 PM

Let's discuss his Emmy snub.

*snerk* Just kidding, of course. I simply wanted a chance to (pretend to) gripe, since I'm one of the few people in the world who is satisfied with the noms.

Who needs an Emmy anyway, when you're the Dolly Prince of Soap? Not to mention just being that freaking pretty.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, Screenwriting, Reading, Drama

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 5:35 PM

I actually was hoping he'd get a nomination. I think he certainly deserves it. As do RSL, Omar Epps, Jennifer Morrison, and Lisa Edelstein. Not to mention the guest stars. . .

Crap. *tries to content herself with Outstanding Casting nom before she goes into permanent gripe mode*

And if people didn't take the time to visit the other galleries on that site, here's a quick link to the gallery for his movie Stranded which has many more yummy pics!

Which only increases my determination to see that film.

labyrinth

labyrinth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 6:18 PM

I hadn't done any serious Jesse Googling for a while and this new thread inspired me to devote some time to it (thank you VERY, VERY much, aquarian1!) and came up with some items of potential interest:

This short article is 2 years old, but has some info that hasn't been printed lately...and the pic shows he hasn't changed much in those 2 years. Awww, he's a romantic!

This 1999 article is from a different Neighbors site and has some interesting tidbits. From the same site this article is about the actress who played Billy's girlfriend, but has this revelation: "Rumours that the on-screen relationship has spilled over into real life started when Brooke and Jesse both got matching his-and-hers navel rings. But Brooke said that was just a coincidence. "When I wanted to get my belly button pierced, I got cold feet so Jesse came along to lend moral support," she said. "After I had mine done, he decided to have a navel ring, too." Hmmm...I wonder if he still has it?

It seems that even the new House fans Down Under can't quite agree on whether Jesse's accent is authentic, although they seem to be in general agreement that he's doing a good job. The TVAus-House forum is just starting up...reminds me of the birth of the HOT here. It's great to see they're getting addicted as fast as we did!

Here's a hot, HOT pin-up photo of Jesse I don't recall seeing posted...sorry, I don't know the story on the Sgt. Pepper (corr: Royal Navy) jacket. Hmmm...no navel ring here.

Finally, here's the HTML link for the press kit for Death in Holy Orders, which includes a nice long interview with Jesse (it's down on page 9 and 10). He comments on doing those nude scenes we've had the pleasure of seeing stills from. I first saw this kit archived on one of the Yahoo forums, but only today found the original to link to here.

Enjoy, everyone!

Edited by labyrinth, Jul 17, 2005 @ 10:35 AM.

Elen

Elen

Stalker

• Interests:Reading, sleeping, hanging out out with friends, nature, music, the usual.<br /><br />TV-wise, I'm a BIG fan of House, Scrubs, and The Office, and I've been known to watch a little ER and Law &amp; Order.

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 7:03 PM

Wow, thanks a bunch for those truley awesome links!!

Paging Dr. Spencer: If Jesse wasn't an actor, he probably would've gone into medicine like his father and two brothers. Now his sister's also studying to be a physician

Whoa, he's psychic too! Where's deekay?!

Red Snapper

Red Snapper

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 8:18 PM

Which only increases my determination to see that film.

Alas, in the second half of the movie, Jesse wears the world's most unfortunate wig. It's seriously awful. It almost makes him... not pretty anymore. I know!

labyrinth

labyrinth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 8:43 PM

Wow, Red Snapper, no way did that look like a wig to me, in the movie or the still photos from it. Just really long Jesse hair. I happen to agree with what freebie said in the Chase thread:

Also, his hair is particularly fetching once they've been on the island for years and years.

Although I think I like his hair best in the mid-season House episodes. Not shaped well enough in the beginning and too short for my taste in Honeymoon. And on the blonder side is better too, I think.

freebie

freebie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 9:23 PM

Ditto, man. I never considered a wig. He had his hair pulled back and off his face so much that it would be hard to fake. Plus, he was under water quite a bit, so it looked totally natural to me. Here are some pics-- best I could do.

Edited by freebie, Jul 14, 2005 @ 9:26 PM.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 9:46 PM

That looks pretty natural to me (and hot. Yay, shirtless Jesse!). But then, despite the many times I've rewatched "Damned If You Do", I never once realized Sister Augustine's ugly hair was a wig. So I'm not the best to judge.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 2:09 AM

"Dolly Prince of Soap"

Oh, for an English-to-English phrasebook!

And that's not a Sgt. Pepper jacket. That's an Adam Ant jacket.
Actually, properly and literally speaking, it's a Master and Commander jacket, one from a Royal Navy uniform. (Boy, wouldn't he have been good in that movie! Though I don't know of a particular part for him. Maybe as the second in command who got promoted to captain at the end?)

labyrinth

labyrinth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 8:38 AM

Correction noted, D.C. I can't say I was concentrating on sartorial accuracy at the time! And you're right, let's hope for some action/adventure roles in his future.

Red Snapper

Red Snapper

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 8:51 AM

Just really long Jesse hair.

With respect, are you serious? It *has* to be a wig, right? Because he couldn'tve grown his own hair, like, seven or eight inches in time for the film shoot. And if I'm the only one one who hates Jesse Spencer in fake luxurious jerry curls, then so be it, but ... ugh.

freebie

freebie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 9:52 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by needing time to grow his hair seven or eight inches. This was the only film he made in 2001, so there would have been plenty of time between when he wrapped Winning London (the Olsen twins movie) and/or Curse of the Talisman, which are the two movies he made in 2000. Also, I imagine they would have shot this movie out of sequence, with the latter half done first, when everyone was looking a little grungier, then given the entire cast makeovers to shoot the earlier bits. Were you thinking this was a more recent film?

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 11:12 AM

I recently saw Jesse in a film called Swimming Upstream, in which he plays a 1950s Aussie swimming champion, Tony Figleton, and I recommend it. It's got a real gritty family drama element to it (Geoffrey Rush and Judy Davis play his parents), and Jesse spends most of the film in his Speedos, which can't be a bad thing! He has short hair in it, so looks different to the way he looks in House, but still very hot.

Red Snapper

Red Snapper

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 12:30 PM

Well, hey, if you think that really could be his own hair, then I'm not going to argue, because I don't know. But I think it looks like a wig. A seriously ugly, horrible, very bad, no good wig. God knows I've been wrong before.

Edited by Red Snapper, Jul 15, 2005 @ 12:42 PM.

goo

goo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 2:32 PM

Those pics are ... HOTT (channelling Paris). Damn, boy looks good.

Ahem.

"Dolly Prince of Soap"

D.C. wrote:
Oh, for an English-to-English phrasebook!

Dolly magazine is an Australian girl's mag, aimed at 12 - 15-year-olds. It's where most teenage girls learn about periods and blowjobs. Prince of Soap is an annual competition for ... HOTT boys. No tubs involved, except in dirty minds :)

Hrmph. Tag edit

Edited by goo, Jul 15, 2005 @ 2:35 PM.

damouse

damouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 12:12 PM

Jesse Spencer was extremely popular in Australia during his Neighbour days. Mind though, I wasn't in Aust during the height of his popularity but it was apparently a shock that he left the show to pursue acting in London.

But with him returning in House (Australia is currently showing House every Wednesday) - a lot of my Aussie girl-friends got all excited his return to their TV-sets, and making plans to stay in every Wednesday night. It was pretty funny but I can sort of see why - he really is very pretty. =) And his accent is very pretty as well - but I may be biased. *laughs*

Although I am confused as to how people are saying stuff about how he cannot decide what he wants his accent to be/he sounds British/blah blah blah - his accent is very distinctively Australian (Melbournian, in fact) and it is his natural accent, so I don't know where people get the notion that he was (unsucessfully) putting on a fake accent. *scratches head*

outofthebox

outofthebox

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 1:34 PM

It's most likely because when most Americans think of the Australian accent they thing of the 'down under' type, like Crocodile Dundee. Jesse Spencer accent sounds a bit more English then that so it is not what the average American would think of as an typical Australian accent.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 5:08 PM

I agree. Jesse's accent doesn't match the one most Americans think of as Australian.

Even the writers have poked fun at the confusion. From the "Poison" recap:

Chase says that the chances of Matt's surviving with the drugs they have available to them are "minimal at best," and House accuses him of having a "stiff-upper-lip-British" way of saying the kid is dead meat. "I'm Australian," Chase says. House says that as long as they put the Queen on their money, it's the same thing.

Edited by DumbBrunette, Jul 19, 2005 @ 5:09 PM.

damouse

damouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 9:58 PM

I think it's because I'm accustomed to the Aussie accent (having lived here for four years) so I don't hear the confusion at all? If anyone here has watched the old Baz Luhrmann movie Strictly Ballroom, Jesse Spencer's accent is almost identical to the lead actor's (Paul Mercurio) with a few differences and I had always thought that Paul Mercurio had the very typical Aussie accent.

I guess it's the general perception that Aussies tend to go "G'day matey!"? *laughs* I can hardly imagine Chase doing that in the hospital. ;)

Edited by damouse, Jul 19, 2005 @ 9:59 PM.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2005 @ 10:09 PM

I guess it's the general perception that Aussies tend to go "G'day matey!"? *laughs* I can hardly imagine Chase doing that in the hospital.

Unless he was drunk. Which is one more reason I want to see him in a drunken stupor, preferably with House along with him.

damouse

damouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 10:54 AM

Unless he was drunk.

I wouldn't mind seeing a drunk!Chase either. =D It'll definitely be very interesting, especially with House in the fray.

On an unrelated note, I caught Uptown Girls today - gacked the DVD off my friend who is a super mega huge Jesse Spencer fan. Did he really sing the songs himself? I would think yes since he's musically inclined and he was a choir boy. But god, I thought the songs were...well. Bad. >.< The Egyptian Cotton Sheets one should be shot and buried.

His character came off as kind of a jerk though. Intially he seemed level-headed compared to the insanity of Brittany Murphy's character, but after that, I kinda want to kick him in the pants. Interesting how he kept his Aussie accent in the film - although it sounds a little different compared to his Chase!accent.

Edited by damouse, Jul 20, 2005 @ 10:58 AM.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 5:38 PM

My Jesse Spencer question of the day:
What's his natural hair color? I assumed it was what we see on "House," and that the black or near-black I saw in the publicity stills for the swimming movie was a dye job that fit that non-fictional, well-known-enough-for-people-to-know-the-difference character. But then I've seen other publicity stills from other projects, and his hair's been pretty dark in them as well. So what is it? If it's dark, he's got a magnificent dye job now. That dirty blond looks very real.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 6:46 PM

I think he's got sandy brown hair, that looks lighter or darker depending on the light. I've noticed in episodes it seems to darken or lighten a shade or two depending on how bright the lighting is.

I haven't seen any shots of him where it's black though.

Edited by DumbBrunette, Jul 20, 2005 @ 6:57 PM.

freebie

freebie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 10:04 PM

the black or near-black I saw in the publicity stills for the swimming movie was a dye job that fit that non-fictional, well-known-enough-for-people-to-know-the-difference character.

He actually has light hair in the swimming movie -- perhaps it looks darker when wet? I tend to think he started out as a blonde, but his hair has darkened up a bit as he's gotten older. As far as his other projects, I think when he first got to London, he was trying to get as far away from Billy Kennedy as possible, so he had darker hair in almost every role, except "Standed" and "Lorna Doone" (sort of, it was darkish blonde there). Anyway, as always with respect to young Mr. Spencer, I tend to agree with DumbBrunette, this is what I think his "real" hair color is, based on absolutely no evidence at all, except ... humina.

Red Snapper

Red Snapper

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 10:24 PM

Remember when Couch Baron said that our Jesse could fill out a pair of jeans like nobody's business? It's really true.