Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2190 replies to this topic

Annakie

Annakie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 10, 2005 @ 5:04 PM

I just saw a promo for this yesterday and already I'm interested. It premiers July 25 on the Travel Channel. According to Travel Channel's website:

Best-selling author, reluctant food celebrity guy, culinary adventurer, drinker, smoker, hedonist ... the list of descriptors could go on and on. But one thing is certain: In this food-obsessed world, Anthony Bourdain has carved out a distinct place as a gastronomic Indiana Jones. His quest for the perfect dining experience was smartly documented in his television series and book, A Cook's Tour. And now Bourdain's journey is shifting to the next course.

In Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, his journey takes him to people and places far beyond the realm of food. Following his wanderlust will take the audience to far-out and familiar places, from Iceland to New Zealand and Paris to New Jersey.

I can't wait. I loved A Cook's Tour and have been wanting to see more of that kind of thing from Tony Bourdain ever since. This show could be really good.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2005 @ 6:31 PM

I really enjoyed Kitchen Confidential, so I'll definitely watch this show. I love his irreverent demeanor, but it doesn't get in the way of his level of professionalism in the restaurant.

I ate in one of his NYC bistros a few years ago, and he came to our table after we complained to the maitre'd about something really yucky on the table. The maitre'd then called him over. He inspected the complaint and said not a word to us, but spoke to the maitre'd in rapid-fire French. Moments later, free drinks appeared at our table. Man's all right in my book.

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 8:23 AM

I can't wait for this show to start!

There were rumors a while back about Bourdain having a sitcom. I hope this is where the rumors were coming from and not a sitcom.

ScaryFairy1

ScaryFairy1

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 8:31 AM

Actually, the sitcom rumor is only sort of true.

FOX will be airing a sitcom based on Kitchen Confidential starting September 19. It'll be paired with Arrested Development on Monday nights.

It's actually a single-camera filmed comedy with no laughtrack. Those of us who've seen the pilot can tell you that it is actually pretty funny. Tony Boudrain is also reportedly pleased with the pilot.

You can read all about it in this thread on TwOP.

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 8:46 AM

Thanks, ScaryFairy1! I remember reading about the show in the A Cook's Tour thread but hadn't gone back to see if there were any updates. It looks like I don't have to be so scared anymore.

Edited by VaVaVoom, Jul 13, 2005 @ 9:11 AM.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 11:17 AM

OMG. I'm SO watching this! I like the Cook's Tour series, but it's about fifty times better if you watch it having read the behind-the-scenes snark in the accompanying book. Just last night, I was watching the Vietnam duck-and-moonshine episode and wishing he'd make another season. I hope he gives us the low-down on this series, too. TiVo season pass, here I come.

BTW, am I the only one who's wildly attracted to Tony? In real life I could never stand the smoke, but on my TV, there's no Marlboro stench -- he's just lanky and snarky and I love him.

Smackfu

Smackfu

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 9:16 AM

I'm so happy about this show. I've seen every Cook's Tour many times, even if it is on at 3 AM nowadays. And you're right, the book adds a whole new dimension to it.

DivineMissM

DivineMissM

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 8:02 AM

BTW, am I the only one who's wildly attracted to Tony? In real life I could never stand the smoke, but on my TV, there's no Marlboro stench -- he's just lanky and snarky and I love him.

You're not alone. I saw him speak last year when he was touring to promote his cookbook. He was so charming and funny and sexy. Plus, he made a lot of great food = sex comments ...

Divaah46

Divaah46

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 11:07 PM

I think he'd be great to have as a tour guide, but we'd need oxygen masks and gallons of Febreeze to survive the trip.

Namaste

Namaste

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 8:04 AM

I've been watching the promos on the Travel Channel, and can't wait for the new show. I was so disappointed when the Food Network canceled his show, and now just listening to him snark on the network with chefs who aren't chefs, food shows that aren't about food and cooks with "catch phrases" has me anxious for the new series.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

• Interests:One Season Wonders: (Andy Barker, Blade, Lucky, Brimstone, Platinum, Over There, Kingpin, Joan Of Arcadia, The Lone Gunmen, Profit, The Inside, The Lost Room) <br />Most Sci-Fi shows ('cept for Stargate and Firefly) <br />Few Reality Shows: ANTM, WWTBAS<br />Kids: Ned's Declassified, Teen Titans, Justice League<br />Other: No Reservations, Everest

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 6:13 PM

I totally wish there was a book before the show. A Cook's Tour ruled so much when reading and watching the show at the same time.

I wish I was AB... getting paid for getting drunk across the world and eating good food. The man doesn't even cook in the show!!

Tivo season pass! here I come.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 9:58 PM

I love this guy.

So much funny here:

*The ‘Lara Flynn Boyle’ comment when holding the bone.
*“Santa cut Rudolph’s fucking head off.”
*But the best? ‘Hi, I’m Rocco de Spirito. Please join me at my new theme restaurant: Rat Kebab. Rats a Roni, Rat-a-touille. All-you-can-east Mouse Bar. By the way, those aren’t currants.’

shuddershuddershudder, those French rats give NY rats a run for their money!

ciscokidinsf, you are so right. This is a definite TIVO!

DCCrackMonkee

DCCrackMonkee

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 10:04 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!! Finally, Tony can do the show he wants to do. I was howling through the whole absinthe bit, not to mention the Rocco snark. Ahhhh, Tony, I luuuuuuuuuurve you, you lanky, stanky bastard.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2005 @ 10:13 PM

Nothing like watching Bourdain prove that William Buckely Jr. was not the last of the pompous blowhards. It is simply amazing at all the trite and incredibly and grossly overblown generalizations he labors so hard to construct just to prove he is the exception. All the while proving just how out of touch he is with how things really are. And to prattle on and on about how edgy and off the beaten track he is and he ends up down in the sewers. Wow! How extreme! How totally bohemian. Wish my Baptist Granny was still alive to tell how hardcore she was since she camped down there for two days on her last trip. And the hotel he stayed at? Boy he's off the grid isn't he? Maybe they should call this show Let's Go with Anthony Bourdain

But the best? ‘Hi, I’m Rocco de Spirito. Please join me at my new theme restaurant: Rat Kebab. Rats a Roni, Rat-a-touille. All-you-can-east Mouse Bar. By the way, those aren’t currants.’

As much as I hate DiSpirito and consider him a true Craftsman in terms of how big a tool he is? For Bourdain of all people to take a shot at him? Bourdain who couldn't get a table fast enough at "Rocco's" during the filming of the first season of The Restaurant to bray his typical self-important foolosophy and practically wet his panties in joy the whole time he pontificated in front of the camera. its kind of like Star Jones trying to snark on Paris Hilton for being a famewhore. Or Anthony Bourdain for snarking on DiSpirito for being a famewhore.

Funniest moment for me was when he held the skull and it looked more like him than the living dead that is Rivers or Boyle. He really si looking the walking dead.

Edited by heebiejeebie, Jul 25, 2005 @ 10:15 PM.

Steggy

Steggy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 9:41 AM

Most snarkalicious moments for us:

He bitches and whines about fat Americans then has dinner with his none too svelte French buddy.

French lessons: Um, I thought he was French?

The oh so contrived accidental meetings with experts.

The also contrived car that didn't pick him up.

If you really can wander into and out of that wine cellar via the sewers by accident, wouldn't all those valuable bottles have been stolen by now?

DeepRed

DeepRed

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 11:02 AM

If you really can wander into and out of that wine cellar via the sewers by accident, wouldn't all those valuable bottles have been stolen by now?

Hey, I was wondering about that too...

Meh. I wanted to like this but was disappointed. Aside from the segment on absinthe, the rest of the show was kind of ho-hum. Yeah, the French pay attention to the senses and appreciate good grandmere-style cooking; so what else is new? I expected more from Bourdain, in Paris especially, of all places.

Maybe he'll do better in more exotic (for lack of a better word) locales, as he did on A Cook's Tour. Here's hoping that next week's ep in Iceland is better.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 11:06 AM

I liked this a lot. I've been a Bourdain fan since first reading the deliciously snarky and informative A Cook's Tour a few months ago.

I agree that he is a pompous ass, but that's part of his appeal. He's probably a love-him-or-hate-him kind of guy. I'm definitely on the love train. I was so excited to see that he had a new travel show, and it was mostly good. The absinthe part went on a few minutes too long, like, if you don't have Moulin Rouge's budget, or Kylie Minogue, for that matter, just don't bother, please. But there were a lot of good scenes that made up for the silliness. I loved the butchers in their bloody aprons eating in their special cafe and drinking wine at 7:00 in the morning.

arachne

arachne

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 12:02 PM

Okay, why don't the French suck? From last night's premier show, I gather it's because a) they care about the quality of what they stuff their faces with, and b) they make it a
point to take long cafe breaks, just sitting around doing nothing.
Sure, that would piss off some of TPTB in Washington, but I can't help thinking the issue
is more complex than that.

How the new show differs from AB's earlier F*** N****** series? Well, it's twice as long, Anthony's "license to snark" has been upgraded, and the production crew has more tech toys to fool around with.
That last one, not always a good thing. I could have lived without the absinthe-driven faux hallucination crap.
And does this show really need all those "parental discetion" notices -- not just at the top of the hour, but after every (bleep) break?!

Still, No Reservations made a promising start over all. Looking forward to next week's show out of Iceland.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 12:20 PM

arachne, that's a good point about the parental warning. I was wondering about that last night. What part was so terrible for the kiddies to see? The absinthe? The rats? The high cholestrol content?

Steggy

Steggy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 12:42 PM

Well, I'd keep pre-teen girls away from the smoking=thin message. There was one bleeped F-word. Other than that it was pretty tame. It is on at 7 pm on the west coast and I'd probalby not watch it with my three year old, but that's what Tivo is for.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 6:13 PM

I was wondering about the warning too...I'm thinking it was probably for the scenes of dead game. Some kids might have been traumatized by the "they cut Rudolph's fucking head off" comment. The kids would be missing out, because that was some funny shit.

Tyco Brahe

Tyco Brahe

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 7:00 PM

I was really hoping to love this show, but I found it superficial, boring, unfunny and hokey. The only thing that I found interesting was the absinthe preparation part. That's the only time I learned new stuff. The rest felt staged and cheesy. I greatly enjoyed reading Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, but this was a big pendantic YAWN.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 9:46 PM

Awwww, I liked the show! I have liked Bourdain since reading Kitchen Confidential. His cocky attitude just adds to the charm. I enjoyed that absinthe segment, but agree that it was a leeetle convenient that he happened upon this absinthe expert. That was a bit contrived. It's nice to see that he's still somewhat out there, and doesn't toe the traditional line. It was cool to see him clearly drinking way too much, but if KC was any indication it's pretty much what he does. I half expected to see him pick up a hooker or something.

The dig on Rocco DeSpirito was funny, even though Bourdain's appearance on Restaurant basically made it disingenuous. Still funny, though.

I'll be watching the Iceland episode.

lhb

lhb

Posted Jul 27, 2005 @ 12:16 AM

I mostly enjoyed it, but it was a bit... overdirected. Too much time spent on him having 'hallucinations' and running around the sewers, and not enough rhapsodizing about food and great markets.

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2005 @ 8:35 AM

I found the show to be pretty boring despite having high hopes for it. There's just something about the way it was directed. It didn't flow nicely enough for me. I agree about the wayyyy too long hallucination scene. I'll definitely give it another try with the Iceland episode.

Edited by VaVaVoom, Jul 27, 2005 @ 8:36 AM.

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2005 @ 1:33 PM

And the hotel he stayed at? Boy he's off the grid isn't he?

Bourdain called L'Hotel “a hipster hangout” which nowadays is synonymous with “place where one is likely to run into Paris Hilton”. It is most definitely upscale. Oscar Wilde would not have been caught dead in any place that was considered “off the grid”.

French lessons: Um, I thought he was French?

He was born in New York. Plenty of people don't speak their ancestral tongue. Although, he probably speaks it better than he lets on. I thought it was funny that the first sentence that instructor was teaching him was "Please, kill me!" and they didn't subtitle it.

The oh so contrived accidental meetings with experts.

This pissed me off. Why not just say “Hey I want to know more about absinthe so I’m going to meet an expert?”

The absinthe part went on a few minutes too long, like, if you don't have Moulin Rouge's budget, or Kylie Minogue, for that matter, just don't bother, please.

What’s Kylie got to do with Paris? Do you mean Nicole Kidman? And yes, I thought it went on way too long, too.

And does this show really need all those "parental discetion" notices -- not just at the top of the hour, but after every (bleep) break?!

I think the parental warning was about absinthe, which is illeagal (in any vintage) in the U.S.. So, much like showing people using pot, they have to put up a warning.

I liked the part when he went to the old Les Halles meat market and showed how it’s nothing but beautiful wrought iron gates. I stumbled onto that area briefly once, but there were a bunch of teenage boys huddled around looking furtive, so I cut it short.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Jul 28, 2005 @ 1:37 PM

Kylie Minogue played "The Green Fairy," i.e. the spirit of Absinthe, in Moulin Rouge.

I'm not sure absinthe is illegal. You can't buy it or sell it here, but you can bring it back from Canada or Britain without it being confiscated.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2005 @ 1:51 PM

I mostly enjoyed it, but it was a bit... overdirected. Too much time spent on him having 'hallucinations' and running around the sewers, and not enough rhapsodizing about food and great markets.

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. Liked the part at the meat market the best.

Still, I enjoy Bourdain's energetic inconsistencies.

ETA: You can also get absinthe in Spain. Purportedly, the Icelandic art crowd that eventually spun off into the Sugarcubes used to have it smuggled into Iceland from Spain all the time.

Edited by suctionprints, Jul 28, 2005 @ 2:11 PM.

wyndham

wyndham

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2005 @ 2:29 PM

I happened to catch this guy last week doing a show on "going back to my roots". He and his brother went back to France and he went on and on and on about the house and village he grew up in from early childhood into his teen years (in France). That makes him a native in my book. I had a large needlework project on my lap and the remote was out of reach so I couldn't turn it off. I was not at all impressed with him - way too much smoking and thinking he was Mr. It - reminded me of JBlo on that hair show. At the end they went on a picnic on some beach and shot off some firecrackers. They blew the end off a wine bottle and then threw the broken bottle off on the beach somewhere (for someone to step on and slice their foot off). Very classy - not!

tiggeril

tiggeril

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2005 @ 2:31 PM

I'm not sure absinthe is illegal. You can't buy it or sell it here, but you can bring it back from Canada or Britain without it being confiscated.

If what I've heard is correct (and it may not be), real absinthe with actual wormwood (or whatever the hallucinogen is) is illegal pretty much everywhere except some places in Eastern Europe. You can get "absinthe" without the hallucinogen in a lot of places in Western Europe.

Edited by tiggeril, Jul 28, 2005 @ 2:37 PM.