Criminal Minds: You Are Not Tired of Serial Killers, Are You?

• Please log in to reply

39837 replies to this topic

kaylee33

kaylee33

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 9:28 AM

I like that it's ambiguous. What I meant though, was that he could have any number of learning difficulties (and probably does) and some of them present very similarly to autism. Also, almost all of them have a very broad set of symptoms and there are various people who clearly have learning difficulties, but don't fit exactly into one of the already existing ones, so they're put into the one with the best fit so that at least people know that they have a reason they can't cope with certain things. It's also the reason that more 'dys' issues are being created all the time; once it was only dyslexia, but now you've got dyslexia, dyspraxia, dysgraphia, dysnumeria, and I think there are others, but those are the only ones I can remember - and in each of those there is a scale, and people with each of those can display some symptoms but be entirely free of others.

Those are just examples, but my point is that there are far more 'learning difficulties' and brain disorders than there are names for them, and many see the idea of learning difficulties as flawed in itself, because it could be argued that it's simply people's brains working in a different way; however it needs to be diagnosed because without awareness and different teaching methods people with these issues can be overlooked or the person with them could be thought of as stupid. Owen in 'Elephant's Memory' is a very good example of how that kind of thing can be missed, and they never specified exactly what he had because he could have had more than one or be manifesting only certain symptoms with no sign of others.

Anyway, this is a very long post, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Reid's issues are feigned, or that they're necessarily completely a product of his environment, and the fact that he's so intelligent makes it more likely that he has some kind of genuine issue. However, there's no need to really specify what, because there are many in existence, many more that have yet to be defined, and many people who manifest symptoms that don't quite fit any existing problem. But it's plausible that he's 'growing out of' his issues, because unless it's really extreme, most people do.

Edited by kaylee33, Apr 9, 2009 @ 9:29 AM.

anstar

anstar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 10:08 AM

They did say they were on South Padre Island, correct? The last time I went to South Padre, it took me nearly 4 hours to get there from Corpus. Is there a shortcut I'm not aware of? Because I would have killed for it then. Corpus Christi is "across the bridge" (as Adam said) from Padre Island, not from South Padre. Geographical irritations...happens every time they come to Texas.

I'll admit they had me fooled. I was confused about how they'd lost Adam when they had him in custody. It wasn't until the Tobias Henkle flashback that I pinged to the DID.

I kind of agreed with Reid at the end. It didn't feel right, "saving" the criminal and locking up the victim. Can't be helped, of course, but still.

Nightlark

Nightlark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 10:17 AM

Oh and as a migraineur I HATE, HATE, HATE when migraines are short hand for mental challenge, personality disorder or just plain bringing the crazy (see movie PI). Although I did love the un-sub smoking pot. I would be in line if my state ever legalizes medical marijauna.

Oh and anstar I feel you on the geographical irritations. That would be distracting to know the reality.

kaylee33

kaylee33

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 10:25 AM

I kind of agreed with Reid at the end. It didn't feel right, "saving" the criminal and locking up the victim. Can't be helped, of course, but still.

If I know Reid and Garcia, hopefully they'll put a tag on the guy, and the moment he touches someone else, he's done. Even if Reid wasn't involved, I'm sure Garcia would do it herself - she was not at all impressed with him.

I'm feeling rather slow, because I quite quickly came to a schizophrenia conclusion when he was having the headaches and couldn't remember certain things, but I figured he had a partner, and even after the girl passed the polygraph I thought that maybe his partner was the one who he was defending and who covered for him instead (the girl Rossi was a bit harsh with). And then when Reid had the Tobias flashback, I thought 'why's he having that? Is it that he's sympathising with the girl thrown off the roof, or what?'

Schizophrenia isn't far off Dissasosiative Identity Disorder, and with Reid's mother he could definitely relate to someone with it, so I don't feel like a complete and utter idiot, but still, the Tobias flashback should have tipped me to what was actually going on. Ah well - usually I'm too good at guessing these kind of plotlines, so I guess it's nice to be thrown every once in a while.

Oh and as a migraineur I HATE, HATE, HATE when migraines are short hand for mental challenge, personality disorder or just plain bringing the crazy (see movie PI). Although I did love the un-sub smoking pot. I would be in line if my state ever legalizes medical marijauna.

I get migraines too, but I don't think in this case they were being used as shorthand - I think they were the unsub's excuse for the struggle against swapping personalities, and the times when he blacked out. He didn't understand what was going on and he wasn't aware of Amanda, so he called it 'migraines'.

Edited by kaylee33, Apr 9, 2009 @ 10:26 AM.

cheesecake134

cheesecake134

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 11:37 AM

I get migraines too, but I don't think in this case they were being used as shorthand - I think they were the unsub's excuse for the struggle against swapping personalities, and the times when he blacked out. He didn't understand what was going on and he wasn't aware of Amanda, so he called it 'migraines'.

Yeah, I could see that. I mostly just saw "migraines" as an excuse for smoking pot. A poor excuse, but an excuse. "Maybe these cops will think it's medicinal!". It's like someone saying they smoke for their "glaucoma".

Bessie Mae

Bessie Mae

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 11:54 AM

I never took the words of the unsub in Broken Mirror (the episode where they bring up Reid having autistic leanings) as canon. He also said that Morgan was nothing but a pumped up side of beef and that Hotch would take advantage of Gideon to move up the ranks. For me, that scene wasn't about giving more insight into the team. It was about the unsub and what he was trying to do there.

Anen

Anen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 11:54 AM

At the beginning, in the psychiatrist's office, I could tell right away that it was a man in woman's clothing, and wondered how Reid could be stupid enough to not realize that "Adam" was right in front of him. I was very relieved when it turned out to be much more complicated than it originally seemed.

DaMare

DaMare

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 12:13 PM

That was creepy!

And wow! Twilight - Boy can act! He scared me!

Digital Am

Digital Am

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 12:18 PM

Ratings are in...Thanks to zap2it.com

The "American Idol" results show delivered a 13.2/20 for FOX at 9. "Criminal Minds," 8.4/13, kept CBS in second. "Lost" drew a lower-than-usual 5.0/8 for ABC. The season finale of "Life" posted a 2.9/5 for NBC. The CW aired a "Top Model" clip show.

"CSI: NY," 7.9/13, moved CBS into the lead at 10 o'clock

tpel

tpel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 3:46 PM

I liked the episode, but felt the ending stretched credulity. True, Adam wasn't buff, and the college guys were probably drunk. But in an environment where the clothes are scanty, it's hard to believe that nobody caught on that he was a guy.

As for Reid and Autism/Asperger's: Asperger's syndrome includes some of the social aspects of autism, but not the linguistic problems. Since Reid is quite articulate and literate, he's a better match for the Asperger's end of the spectrum. But it can be hard to distinguish very high functioning Asperger's from non-Asperger's social awkwardness, which, I think, encourages over-diagnosis of Asperger's nowadays (in contrast to the underdiagnosis of years past). Personally, I think Reid is just socially awkward. He doesn't miss socially significant signs (such as Adam's body language and the look he gave him when transitioning to his alternate personality), he just doesn't always know how to behave socially.

Something in him has changed enough that he's gone back to basics -- a B.A. -- in a discipline (Philosophy) that is all about subjective points of view.

Actually, academic analytic philosophy is all about logic. We consider various subjective points of view, but then we figure out the arguments for them and assess the objective validity of such arguments. So, yes, it might require Reid to step outside of his comfort zone a little, in that there are rarely easily memorizable facts to fall back on. But it's a very rational, non-emotional feild, which might suit him just fine.

watchteoftv

watchteoftv

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 3:58 PM

I knew who Reid and the Psychiatrist were talking to at the beginning, just from the way the scene was shot, but it was interesting to see how they got there - poor Adam. Loved the scene with Morgan being the unsub, trying to figure out how the victim was tied up, and I let out a squee to see JJ on a raid again. I thought about poor Kate during the scene with Julie lying there all bloody, even before Hotch yelled "Medic!", and when he did,then I thought, "Oh God, he's flashing back to Kate lying there, bleeding to death." I liked that they gave us a Reid flashback, so maybe they HAVEN'T forgotten that Hotch is supposed to be in the middle of a meltdown, and we get to see that before the end of the season. I enjoyed this ep, but I need to look at it again to pick up on some things I missed, and I think JA did a good job directing; and the writer of this ep - I've seen the name before, but not connected with CM, I don't think, so I'm wondering if this is what they're going to be doing - maybe not keeping a lot of staff writers, but bringing in freelancers to write (did somebody already suggest this?) and because I didn't say this before, LOVED TG's letter - loved that "Thomas here" for some reason.

CabotsintheWind

CabotsintheWind

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 4:14 PM

I have to add as a person who also gets migraines, I wasn't shocked to see it as a symptom of Adam's transfer to Amanda. I know when I first started getting them at age 11 the first thing the doctor did was a CAT scan to make sure there wasn't anything physically wrong with my brain. I'm not sure if D.I.D. is a physical problem in the brain as well as a mental manifestation, I don't know anything about the disease. The one thing I did find ridiculous regarding the migraine scenario was the fact that Adam would be on the roof during the migraine. When I get a migraine the last thing I want is bright light and noise. I tend to shut everything off to achieve complete darkness and to have the apartment as quiet as possible and try very hard to fall asleep, since that's the only thing that takes them away.

OpheliaInBlue

OpheliaInBlue

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 4:34 PM

They did say they were on South Padre Island, correct? The last time I went to South Padre, it took me nearly 4 hours to get there from Corpus. Is there a shortcut I'm not aware of? Because I would have killed for it then. Corpus Christi is "across the bridge" (as Adam said) from Padre Island, not from South Padre. Geographical irritations...happens every time they come to Texas.

I laughed when he said Corpus was just over the bridge. Yeah, cross that bridge and keep going four hours. Drive fast and you might make it here in three. So when they had to go catch Adam in Corpus, they had a long drive ahead of them. "Geographical irritations" just make things easier.

watchteoftv

watchteoftv

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 4:46 PM

I've only had one migraine in my life, but I'll never forget it - I was about 15, and it was hell - felt like I was gonna barf, light hurt, noise hurt, moving hurt, being TOUCHED hurt - so was Adam really having migraines - did they say he was? I don't remember, but if he was, how was he even STANDING, much less walking around, having conversations with people? could it have been just a sharp, sudden pain when "Amanda" came out, but he could feel the faint pain of her coming, and that's why he would massage his head, not so much from pain, but from knowing what was about to happen? and was he taking any meds, did they say? (I've really got to watch this again...)

ita

ita

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 4:58 PM

It's certainly possible to move around, etc, with a migraine--just that everything's way less fun than it used to be, and some things in particular are real bad. The roof is horribly bright, but the white noise might be soothing, and it's somewhere he can take his meds (spliff) away from people.

kaylee33

kaylee33

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 5:38 PM

My migraine degree varies considerably - sometimes I can function pretty well, except for the pain (which intensifies when I move - that stays consistent). Other times I feel really sick, and have to sleep it off. And at times I can't even sleep because the pain is so bad, in which case I need to put either something hot or something cold on the migraine side of my head. I almost always feel sick (and sometimes I am sick) but I only had an issue with light once.

If he got a migraine every time he switched, that had to suck. But again, it is possible it was just an excuse for the weed. He did act like he was in a lot of pain though.

Nightlark

Nightlark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 10:25 PM

My migraine degree varies considerably - sometimes I can function pretty well, except for the pain (which intensifies when I move - that stays consistent). Other times I feel really sick, and have to sleep it off. And at times I can't even sleep because the pain is so bad, in which case I need to put either something hot or something cold on the migraine side of my head. I almost always feel sick (and sometimes I am sick) but I only had an issue with light once.

If he got a migraine every time he switched, that had to suck. But again, it is possible it was just an excuse for the weed. He did act like he was in a lot of pain though.

Yes there are certainly degrees of pain. And I thought he conveyed the nausea and the general feeling that if you move your head it is going to fall off. I've calmed down a lot and I think I can live with the portrayal.

And the Twilight boy certainly surprised me. I was horrified to see on Twitter that my 13 yr old niece was watching. I hope her parents knew. And I hope it doesn't scar her for life.

kaylee33

kaylee33

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:42 AM

I was horrified to see on Twitter that my 13 yr old niece was watching. I hope her parents knew. And I hope it doesn't scar her for life.

Heh. Depends on your niece, I think. Some thirteen year olds are mature enough to handle a show like this, others aren't. I do wonder whether anyone involved in CM knew that this casting might draw in the teenage girl crowd - maybe they thought the girls would come for the unsub, and stay for Morgan and Reid (lol). I think I would have enjoyed this show just as much if I were younger, and since the last horror movie to properly freak me out was when I was twelve, it might have been nice to be a little freaked by Criminal Minds, rather than the continued hard nosed cynicism that I display week to week ;-).

Speaking of that, my mother informed me recently that she's had to cover her eyes during a couple of CM episodes, and that she's never had to do that with any other tv show. I'm actually quite proud of my show for freaking out my mother. If they can get people to cover their eyes, they're doing the unsubs right. It should be horrifying.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:48 AM

Some thirteen year olds are mature enough to handle a show like this, others aren't.

I'm not always mature enough for a show like this. *G* Like your mother, there are a few scenes I have problems with. Unlike her, I'm not smart enough to spot them in time to cover up my eyes. I know which ones bother me by the nightmares later.

On the other hand, this is the only show I continue watching in spite of being nightmare fodder. I think they handle the psychology more realistically than most shows. Even little things like them not expecting a miracle from the lie detector -- they just wanted to know where there might be some lying so they could dig deeper -- and being flummoxed by the fact that both suspects passed seem more accurate than many other shows.

yellowbrick_1

yellowbrick_1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 9:21 AM

Some thirteen year olds are mature enough to handle a show like this, others aren't.

I watched "Silence of the Lambs" when I was 11 (behind my parents backs of course). However, my dad was fairly lenient in letting me watch gory/scary movies. I'm 2 and 1/2 years younger than my older brother, and they just let me start watching rated R movies when he did, so I was about 9-10.

BlackMamba25

BlackMamba25

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 9:59 AM

Ok, I don't get why the unsub had all those mirrors only to cover them up. I think the other personaltiy (Amanda) did not want to see herself because that would be proof that she was not real, so is that the reason Amanad never went away, because she saw her reflection in the mirror when they arrested her. Or was it like she said and she was protecting Adam and knew he was now in trouble and needed protection. If so doesn't she know that part of getting better is getting Adam back and in control or does the feeling of he will no longer need me trump anything else. Also I knew that they were going to do a D.I.D SL from the 1st take, the way they showed the person, not fully showing them. Adam looked really good as a women so they actually did not have to do that.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 11:40 AM

I think the mirrors were the opposite, BlackMamba25.

Adam couldn't look at himself, but Amanda had a vain streak -- necessary for applying makeup, putting on dresses, arranging her hair or wig. Several times we saw Amanda eying herself in a mirror. Reid even noticed the eye contact during his interview with Adam.

So Adam's mirrors were covered up. If Amanda had been dominant when they searched the room, the mirrors would have been uncovered.

marceline

marceline

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 12:31 PM

Geographical irritations...happens every time they come to Texas.

I said the same thing when they came to Cleveland in "Zoe's Reprise." They fictionalized so much I nearly gave myself eyestrain rolling my eyes.

Nightlark

Nightlark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 3:25 PM

On the other hand, this is the only show I continue watching in spite of being nightmare fodder. I think they handle the psychology more realistically than most shows. Even little things like them not expecting a miracle from the lie detector -- they just wanted to know where there might be some lying so they could dig deeper -- and being flummoxed by the fact that both suspects passed seem more accurate than many other shows.

Yes, this show gets under my skin more than anything else I watch. I think about it more too.

I haven't talked to said 13 yr old yet. I wonder if the ratings spiked due to Jackson. I really was taken aback by how much he and Reid looked like older brother/younger sibling.

watchteoftv

watchteoftv

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 4:41 PM

Silence of the Lambs is the one movie I will not watch again - I've only seen it all the way through 1 time, and said never again - but I'll look at certain parts again, like the part with tiny Clarice on the elevator with all those big men, and I love seeing her going to the depths of the earth to get to the 'BSU' dept., because I think about Rossi talking to Hotch about them being in a 'bunker' in the old days, and that's the way it looks in the movie. I rarely close my eyes when I'm watching CM, but whenever they show knives or people being stabbed, or the scene in Ashes and Dust when the guy walking down the street is set on fire, I sort of unfocus my eyes so I can see, but not see, if you know what I mean.*g*

MiniShrink

MiniShrink

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 7:34 PM

Haven't watched "Conflicted" yet (apparently whoever posts it on YouTube yanked it down for reasons unknown), but I come bearing more fanfic rec goodness. These are actually fics I read ages ago, but then felt the need to pimp today. Some things are spoiler-barred, but I'm not giving much away, just a brief summary.

Flawless, rated PG-13, a JJ-Emily friendship piece in the same vein as Hurt, but a little less graphic. Also older, as it was written around 2007. Basically, our lovely ladies get kidnapped by an unsub. It's a good read, and it's got some good Reid characterisation as well.

Plus a [completed!] sequel, also PG-13: Easier To Lie. Balances casefic with JJ and Emily's recovery quite well, as well as throwing in an interesting original character friend for Emlily.

And, by the same writer, but not part of a series: Dance Macabre, a work-in-progress. Narrated through flashbacks as the gang are more or less interrogated by an irritating psychiatrist about how badly their most recent case went. Snarky Reid and JJ, Hotch and Morgan in danger, and pastries! Also an Emily-Reid scene that many people wish had happened post-Jones.

-----

Set in S2 between 2.19 "Ashes & Dust" and 2.23 "The Evilution of Frank", School Daze is bloody brilliant. High school shooter casefic with focus on Reid, while being completely different (and more lighthearted, somehow) to Elephant's Memory. It's deep, it's funny, and it comes with some good characterisation for the rest of the team. More importantly, it has my absolute favourite incarnation of Emily, as you will see in chapter 1. In fact, this story is so damn good I'm wondering whether someone here actually recced it a while ago.

And this writer is just so amazing that I'm reccing all of [her?] stuff: buffyaddict13 writes fanfiction based on Doctor Who, Criminal Minds and Supernatural, and even has an in-progress CM-Supernatural crossover fic titled "Haunted Minds" with a focus on S2 Reid and, well, someone ("Andy"?) from Supernatural, but with excellent hold of everyone's character on CM (can't speak for SN, don't watch it).

Edited by MiniShrink, Apr 10, 2009 @ 7:41 PM.

Bessie Mae

Bessie Mae

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

Danse Macbre was just updated after an eon long break. It works the whole team very well, and there aren't many stories where Hotch is in trouble, and I love Hotch pain (that's a sign of affection).

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 9:26 PM

and there aren't many stories where Hotch is in trouble, and I love Hotch pain (that's a sign of affection).

I get that mindset so totally, it's not even funny. (As Tom Paris, Sam Seaborn, Trip Tucker, and Dean Winchester could attest. If they weren't fictional characters.)

Edited by GoldfishGirl42, Apr 10, 2009 @ 9:28 PM.

wolfschild

wolfschild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2009 @ 5:21 PM

So, I just watched the last episode of season two. The disk skipped there at the end, after Jane has taken Frank's arm and they're turning away. The screen freezes and then it's at Garcia and Gideon sitting in the train station.

What happened? Does Jane push Frank in front of a train and then jump after him, or what?

watchteoftv

watchteoftv

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2009 @ 10:17 PM

Your DVD acted up? bummer - what happened was, Frank and Jane (with the help of some really bad FX), jumped in front of the train while everybody just kinda stood there and watched - I don't know what they thought was going to happen with Frank talking like that, but by the time they realized what F&J were going to do, it was too late to stop them - and I really wish they'd been able to save poor Jane.

*SIGH* I know this is pathetic, and I understand that you'll laugh 'til you're sick, but I have to ask - where/how do you copy & paste something you want to quote -where is the actual copy and paste button, or whatever it is? and can you go back and quote something you saw pages back? I think I've got the rest of the process,if I can just get this part, and I know one of you kind people will help me (it's ok, laugh away - I've said before I feel like a 12th century woman in a 21st century world around computers.) :)