Criminal Minds: You Are Not Tired of Serial Killers, Are You?

• Please log in to reply

39842 replies to this topic

mrsdalgleish

mrsdalgleish

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 9:55 AM

And is it really a good idea to taunt a man about his penis size when he has a gun?

That was the idea. Mandy was counting on the perp's taking the gun off the victim and pointing it his way, so the female partner could then shoot him. And since watching Mandy Patinkin taunt people is great entertainment, it was all good.

Still, sorry CBS! You screwed up with the time slot, and I am DVR/VCR-less. I'm off to VM starting next week.

GraydonCarter

GraydonCarter

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 10:42 AM

I liked it. But I missed the first ten minutes or so. What happened in the beginning?

Thomas Gibson and his wife are trying to figure out what to call their baby. How about Leroy? etc. And she says she wants to name him Gideon. Which happens to be the last name of the character played by Mandy Patinkin, but you'd have to be really invested in the characters to figure this out, and at this point I'm still wondering if I shouldn't be watching the last bit of American Masters on PBS.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 10:53 AM

I watched it... it was no more than a straight 'Paint-by-numbers' serial-killer show made slightly better by Mandy Patinkin and Greg (From Dharma & Greg) playing the straight guy... the hyper-intelligent nerd they had in their team bugged me and smells a lot like Wesley from ST:TNG... so that can't be good.

To tell the truth, I liked Peter Coyote's character on 'The Inside' as a controlling asshole than Mandy's character in 'Criminal Minds' looking for redemption after what appears to have been a breakdown at some point in the past.

Too much exposition, as well. Not enough moving or doing. Too many shots of Mandy thinking and moving his eyebrows.

The episode itself got stupid once they moved away from DJ Qualls.. what a coincidence that the Guard who lets them out from the county jail is the killer... geez. So fucking contrived. (Killer is a teenager, blah,blah,blah, fishcakes)

Against 'Lost' there is no hope for this show... but if it was on Friday it could work out somehow... Maybe once 'Ghost Whisperer' is dead??

The preview makes no sense against the ending of the store clerk pointing a gun at him... was this a flashback or WTF?

last minute

last minute

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 11:11 AM

I thought this was ok. I donít know if it will continue to draw me in, however, no matter how hot Shemar Moore is.

Maybe I missed something, but one thing I wondered about is why they didnít start looking for people in the area who were selling a Datsun, once they knew what kind of car she was looking at. But I guess that may have taken away from the deduce the killer by profiling premise.

metallicsquink

metallicsquink

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 11:34 AM

And since watching Mandy Patinkin taunt people is great entertainment, it was all good.

Love the low growly taunty voice, Mandy! Taunt me, please!

one thing I wondered about is why they didnít start looking for people in the area who were selling a Datsun, once they knew what kind of car she was looking at. But I guess that may have taken away from the deduce the killer by profiling premise.

And wouldn't the emails/IMs Heather was getting from the killer be in the history of her computer? They could have started with the person who owned that screen identity. That may have been really obvious, but don't investigators often start with the obvious?

last minute

last minute

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 11:52 AM

And wouldn't the emails/IMs Heather was getting from the killer be in the history of her computer? They could have started with the person who owned that screen identity. That may have been really obvious, but don't investigators often start with the obvious?

I think there was some virus in one of those messages that wiped out everything on her computer. But she still had all those car magazines in her apartment.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 12:30 PM

I guess I'll be more careful car-shopping from now on.

Anybody else think they solved it too fast? Like they suddenly realized, "Oh, hey, it's quarter to ten, it must have been the prison guard!"

Yes. It was entertaining enough but the agents were just way too over-confident or something. You could tell that DJ Qualls couldn't have been the only killer because he's a stick and the kidnapping scene showed a big guy.
If he was listening to "Enter Sandman" on a CD, wouldn't he likely have the black album in his computer as opposed to the "Some Kind of Monster" DVD? That was some sloppy sh*t considering that they're supposed to be all about detail.

I was pleased to see Lola Glaudini post-Sopranos and Shemar Moore was looking great.

Kalahari

Kalahari

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 1:19 PM

If he was listening to "Enter Sandman" on a CD, wouldn't he likely have the black album in his computer as opposed to the "Some Kind of Monster" DVD?

"Some Kind of Monster" was in the laptop, from which they gleamed that he was a Metallica fan. They then guessed that "Enter Sandman" was related to his password since he was an insomniac Metallica fan, not because he happened to be listening to that particular track.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 1:50 PM

Ah, I see. Now I'm cringing at the anvil.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 3:37 PM

The stupidest part that was they did not explain who left the 'Stop Me I cannot control myself' message in the computer... Was it the guard or DJ Qualls? who cares?

Plus, it looks like a good kick on the nads was all the victims had to do to run our of hell like that, (along with X-ray vision that will explain how the lady got out of the killers apartment into the roof while being blinfolded with Duct tape)

Tonight is 'Killer Instinct' on Fox... we'll see if Chi McBride and the who-dats can make a better show.

I miss Webb from 'The Inside' dammit!

lilya

lilya

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 3:54 PM

that will explain how the lady got out of the killers apartment into the roof while being blinfolded with Duct tape

She was actually belowdecks on a boat; and it appeared that she clawed a corner of the duct tape off, but it happened fast, I might not have seen that right. Then she ran outside onto the dock I believe.

BeowulfGirl

BeowulfGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 3:59 PM

Did anyone else think it was weird that Dr. Reed (the genius) knew enough about Metallica lyrics to know exactly what password to try? I don't mean to offend any Metallica fans out there, but it just didn't seem to be the kind of music he'd be into. Of course, being a genius with photographic memory, he might have been exposed to Metallica in 7th grade and just never forgot it.

mrsdalgleish

mrsdalgleish

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 4:08 PM

they did not explain who left the 'Stop Me I cannot control myself' message in the computer... Was it the guard or DJ Qualls?

They didn't directly explain it, but I think we were supposed to know it was DJQ. The quote was from one of Mandy's earlier cases (picture on his office wall) and DJQ stated he was a fan of Mandy's work. So I think he'd done it specifically to draw him to the case. (Which fits the profile of "his type" as they explained it to the Seattle FBI people)

Tresjolie9

Tresjolie9

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 4:15 PM

Ms Dalgleish wrote

Thomas Gibson is perfect for the straight man, Shemar Moore is the eye candy, and 3PhD boy is nerdy and interesting without the writers forcing him to have annoying characteristics.

I like seeing Thomas Gibson playing characters with more depth, loved him as Danny Nyland the snarky doctor on Chicago Hope. I am praying that they develop Thomas's character more and make him more than just a "straight man," to Mandy Patinkin. If he continues to be simply Mandy's lapdog, I don't know how long I can hold out. As much as am a fan of Thomas, things don't look good with this show being against Lost and Veronica Mars.

Zycron

Zycron

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 5:46 PM

The ratings for last night were pretty good:

Overall, CBS won the night, on the mega-strength of CSI's sixth-season opener (29 million) and the series premiere of Criminal Minds (19.6 million).

Criminal Minds' fast start--it's the young season's most-watched new show to date--comes with two provisos: (1) It won't always air after CSI, as its bound for Wednesday nights; and (2) Even when it did air after CSI, it lost about 30 percent of the veteran show's audience.

It's too bad it's losing this timeslot. It seems perfect right after CSI. I wonder why it's moving to Wednesdays? I like the whole "profiler" genre so I enjoyed this show - especially with Mandy, Thomas and Shemar at the helm. Even though it's formualic, I still found it much more interesting than, say, Threshold, Invasion, Prison Break, Supernatural, Bones, or E-ring. Eh, will definitely TiVo for at least another few weeks.

javalake

javalake

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 6:26 PM

I think there was some virus in one of those messages that wiped out everything on her computer.

But the server she downloaded her email from would have a record of the message. Odd that they didn't think of that. Then again, she got the car offer by instant message, not e-mail, so the writers blew it there.

"Some Kind of Monster" was in the laptop, from which they gleamed that he was a Metallica fan. They then guessed that "Enter Sandman" was related to his password since he was an insomniac Metallica fan, not because he happened to be listening to that particular track.

But was the password "sandman" or "entersandman" or "EnterSandman" or "sandMan" or "$andman" or ... Six guesses isn't enough to cover the possibilities if the perp was really concerned about security. And why was he listening to the music on his computer and not on his portable CD player?

mzpro5

mzpro5

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 6:35 PM

Need help here. Worked last night so TiVo'd this and ER but big storm blew through and I lost signal on satellite for last 8 minutes or so. Last I saw was Mandy holding gun on guy with girl, didn't hear any conversation. Can someone please fill out the ending for me? Thanks.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 7:13 PM

javalake, I didn't have a problem with the idea of the guy listening to music on his computer as opposed to some other player. Mainly because the sound system for my computer has the best subwoofer of all my equipment.

But over all, this show was ... wooden. Way to "on the nose". The profiling stuff was written as if copied straight from basic books on profiling. It wasn't even as engaging as any of John Douglas' books on it are. And the quotations the gave Gideon? What did someone do? Sit down with Bartlett's Quotations and look up things? They were presented so very awkwardly. Nobody who really knows that sort of thing by memory speaks them as if citing things in a scholarly paper. (William Petersen on CSI handles quotations much more organically for the character's moment.)

The cast is good, but the writing and directing were not so good. Very disappointing. Actually, not engaging enough to distract me from the bill paying I was doing at the same time.

mrsdalgleish

mrsdalgleish

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2005 @ 8:01 PM

mzpro5, Gideon taunted the perp until the perp turned the gun to shoot Gideon and then the female cop shot the perp. Got it? ;-)

Then there was some conversation on the plane about what Thomas Gibson would report to the higher ups as far as Gideon getting approved to work in the field again.

And then Gideon was driving and stopped at a remote convenience store and Lukas Haas was behind the counter with all these serial killer trophy photos behind him and he was stuttering -- so we weren't sure if this was the guy Gideon had been talking about during the lecture at the start of the show. In any case, after pausing long enough to let PsychoLukasHaas know he was disturbed by the psycho vibe, Gideon walked out to his car and in the reflection off the gas pump he saw PLH pointing a shotgun at his back.

And...scene.

mzpro5

mzpro5

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 24, 2005 @ 7:27 AM

Thanks mrs dalqleish!

starstar

starstar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 25, 2005 @ 3:07 PM

I liked it, but I didn't love it. I think like all new shows it's just gong through that awkward character development/plot intro phase. Hopefully it will gain some steam next week. I thought the writing was a bit forced, they should realize that people who would watch this show already know most of the tricks of the trade as they've read every true crime book at Borders. At times I felt like I was watching a condensed version of Silence of the Lambs! Show us something new please! The scene on the plane where they were talking about baby names--Charles (Mason) Henry (Lee Lucas) Jeffery (Dahmer) seemed a little contrived, out of all the possible baby names, they came up with those?

I will keep watching, for my sweet Shemar if for no other reason. I really want to believe this show can get better.

Edited by starstar, Sep 26, 2005 @ 11:18 PM.

ChelseaNH

ChelseaNH

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2005 @ 3:25 PM

Show us something new please!

If they ever come up with a serial killer who preys on toothless old men instead of nubile women, I might become interested....

stace25

stace25

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 1:59 AM

I really enjoyed the show. I kept in on my tifaux for my boyfriend to watch later, cause i think he would enjoy it too. The big problem is that it is up against lost. It is almost like they are setting it up to fail! Good thing I have time shifting so I can watch later, but I can't watch in High Def, because that really does belong to Lost.

liathano

liathano

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 2:35 AM

I enjoyed the pilot, although I'm not sure how long I'll keep watching. As others have said before me: once Lost and VM both start up ... Choices will have to be made!

I did have one problem with this ep, that maybe someone could kindly clear up for me?

When we're getting introduced to the various characters at the beginning, I didn't catch what the deal was with Shemar's character? He was supposed to be in Boston or BAU or something, but something didn't work out? Or maybe the Boston reference was about Mandy's character? Was he getting his female trainees drunk? Then, later on, Thomas Gibson's character introduced Shemar to both Mandy and Thomas's team, so I assume that meant that they hadn't all worked together before? I think I may have been distracted by all the beauty ... and the intense desire to run away and watch Princess Bride!

At the end of the episode, when Thomas and Mandy were talking on the plane, I kept thinking "oh look, the kids are asleep while Mum and Dad chat about grown up stuff". I think I might have HoYay on the brain a bit too much.

Jupisan

Jupisan

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 7:30 AM

I really enjoyed the plot but I cant see it anymore unless I record it cause it on wednesday against Lost. But I really like it.

Edited by Jupisan, Sep 26, 2005 @ 7:31 AM.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 10:27 AM

I enjoyed it a lot. Of course, my standards can be low. Prime example: I didn't think the premiere of Bones was awful; it took me the first half of the second episode to get on that train. So This has at least another week.

I was confused by the ending, but had been distracted at the beginning. If the stutterer was a closed case, could that have been a flashback to what happened, which led, in turn, to his nervous breakdown/being removed from duty and sent to teaching?

I agree it had all the standard cliches, but it has enough pretty and little enough gimmicky to keep me interested. I hope it improves, but the timeslot isn't helping.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 5:37 PM

I rewatched the tape of the first episode. Still not won by it.

On top of that I was greatly irritated by the props guy and/or camera-operator in the scene where the team is looking around Younger Perp's bedroom.

Gideon turns around and sees some books/journals on a knick-knack shelf. He pulls out something that purports to be "The Journal of Criminal Psychology" (or something like that). Now, first off.... I don't know of any academic journal that uses glossy card stock on its cover. None. It's expensive, dude, and you're talking about cheap budgets.

Secondly, when Gideon flips through the journal we clearly see its all blank pages. Whoever let that shot stay in is out of their frickin' mind! Especially when there was obviously planned an over-the-should shot of Gideon looking at his own article, pagemarked with a cut-out newspaper article of the case where his trauma occured. But the prop guy didn't fill the pages with text, nor do a mock-up of the title page of Gideon's own article. We only know it's supposed to be that, because the next scene begins with Gideon saying to the perp "I see you read my article" (or something like that).

It just doesn't work right. The show, that is.

scottm dj

scottm dj

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2005 @ 10:51 PM

Wow...this really does not have many fans in here does it? Of course this show likely draws an 'older' audience that isn't prone to posting on an internet forum...

Anyway, I think this show is great. I like the characters a lot (forgot that Mandy was the one in PB--so different now!), and it has a nice philosophical slant to it which makes it a bit different...

The 'arson' episode was fast-paced and well done (best yet), but as with all shows, 1 hour is just not enough time for everything to unfold.

...and I thought most of the other CBS dramas had good eye candy. The blonde and brunette in here look rather nice in high-def :)

But everyone is right--why oh why do they put this against Lost? The only reason I can watch this is that I still haven't seen all of Lost Season 1 so I can't watch S2 live yet.

Incidently...anyone recognize the 'stutterer'? Talk about new roles--that was none other than Lukas Haas from Harry Ford's 'Witness' (and more notably 'Rambling Rose' where in "co-starring" with Laura Dern, he had like the best acting job...ever) :)

lilya

lilya

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2005 @ 1:35 AM

I liked this episode as well as I did the first. I loved the way they use a picture and then open that up as the next scene; and how they showed a picture behind the wall while contemplating the students that had been milling around watching the fire.

The uber-geek is a very believable character; it was great when they were trying to get him to speak to the chemistry students because he was 'closer to their age', and he kept overexplaining acronyms and so forth.

Kalahari

Kalahari

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 29, 2005 @ 9:29 AM

I thought that second episode was really good. Something was different about the cast though, which I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Was the blonde lady in the first episode? Was she new?

Was the brunette lady who is the "trainee" made over in this episode? Like was her hair different or something? Or did they change the actress? She looked totally different for some reason.

I have to admit, I totally didn't expect the explanation for why he said the killer stuttered. Brilliant. Totally brilliant. I was expecting some total bullshit explanation.

There's one thing that really differentiates this show from others in this genre: Everyone on the team is competent and useful in their own way. I have to admit, I've gotten used to shows where the "prodigy"/brilliant guy is the only one that makes all the major observations and breakthroughs. But everyone seems to contribute on this show. And not in too contrived a way either. I mean, it's very conceivable that Greg is excellent at observing the people around him, and he was the one that made the connection between the OCD symptoms and the girl he observed in the Chemistry lab.

Good show.