Criminal Minds: You Are Not Tired of Serial Killers, Are You?

• Please log in to reply

39839 replies to this topic

racbec

racbec

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 9:47 AM

I am really going to miss this forum.  Even when I don't agree with some of the opinions expressed, you all make me think of things I otherwise wouldn't think of.  Plus, I do love snark. 

Everything is relative, of course, but I liked this episode.  I thought there was some good acting and, while I am no expert on directing, I thought the directing was very good as well.  Some profiling took place, and more of the team was involved than has been the case of late. Some plot holes, of course, but when aren't there?  (Obviously, the key to this show is to set expectations at the right level.)

I hope MGG gets more opportunities to direct once this show is over. 

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 4:05 PM

racbec it won't go away until May 31, and even then, most are moving to previously.tv,, so the snark will continue. 

Edited by SweetToooth, Apr 7, 2014 @ 7:49 PM.

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 5:02 PM

¡Join Ussssss! 

Come over to the Previously side. We have character threads.

webruce

webruce

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 11:37 PM

I thought something was up with Cissy Howard(Adrienne Barbeau played on Maude, Swamp Thing and did Catwoman voices)and Malachi Lee. But after the elevator I thought maybe they had the same father. But not that they had the same kid,the Mountain Man unsub. They defiantly had some explaining to do when they came out and both families were waiting.
The way the Mountain Man killed his relatives was different.
Blake being pulled in the water by the unsub and coming out gasping was good. I thought all the shooting in the pond at night was more like a Jason or Michael Myers movie. I figured he would escape. And that he escaped and attacked that couple could mean we will be after him again?

The bio-fuel angle was good and not a meth one like I figured would happen. JJ and Hotch going to talk to Captain Rogers was good. That kinda fits with her liaison part. JJ as stated up-thread does need more  training  time, even if it is just talked about. What did she really learn on her year away from the BAU?

missmycat

missmycat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 2:00 PM

Well I have seen two sneak peeks of tonight's episode and both of them have been about Morgan's love life. Even worse was the 2nd sneak peak. It has the useless Mary Sue apparently trying to channel Dear Abby.

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 4:05 AM

Okay,

1. Derek's gf was so upset he wasn't going to be there to meet her parents, they made it sound like she was picking them up that day. You're telling me he worked the entire case and still made it home before she was going to the airport? So, like, all that drama, and there was a possibility he'd be back in time?

2. JJ did NOT do a Derek impression. Tell me I didn't cringe all the way through that. I was horrified.

3. Derek speaks for so many people when he says he wishes she were still the media liaison. When she says, "No you don't" I wanted to yell, "Well, I do!"

4. When Reid and the witness were reenacting the party scene, the witness says he didn't recognize the dudes acid boy was talking to, because they had their backs turned, neglecting to also say they were wearing PIG MASKS. It's only when Reid reiterates what the witness said, that he brings up the pig masks, but that's not what the witness said.

5. How many cases have we had recently, where something was done to someone during high school, and either the victim or someone close to the victim sought revenge?

Edited by SweetToooth, Apr 10, 2014 @ 4:06 AM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 6:26 AM

When Reid and the witness were reenacting the party scene, the witness says he didn't recognize the dudes acid boy was talking to, because they had their backs turned, neglecting to also say they were wearing PIG MASKS. It's only when Reid reiterates what the witness said, that he brings up the pig masks, but that's not what the witness said.

I thought the kid said "I think they were upperclassmen, I'm not sure, because they're wearing masks"  I thought it was weird that Reid then latched on to "they were upperclassmen", when the kid said he wasn't sure.

How lucky the kid was right there watching every move of these particular people like a stalker so he could magically recall the whole thing by just closing his eyes.

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Apr 10, 2014 @ 6:50 AM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 10:07 AM

And the glee with which JJ told Morgan he was going to end up alone forever... I thought she only had that smirky derision for Reid.

That was just awful. It irked me that allegedly 'tough', independent JJ uttered that line as if ending up single would be a fate worse than death. And, as you noted, it came off so superior and mean-spirited. And her imitating him was as cringe-inducing as most of us feared. I've long thought that AJ Cook is better suited to play an icy bitch than someone who's allegedly warm and empathetic, and it looks like maybe the writers have embraced that...albeit nine seasons too late ;) And I'm already feeling like I should have been careful about what I wished for, because I'm not sure I've ever disliked JJ as intensely as I did in this episode. (And I pretty much never like JJ, so that's saying something!) 

Also, wow, Shemar Moore has depressingly little chemistry with Savannah IMO. (And, for that matter, little chemistry with most actors and actresses, romantic or otherwise.) His declaration of love was so unconvincing that I almost laughed, which I don't think is quite what the writers were going for.  

I wish there were other aspects of this episode that compensated for what I hated about it, but...no. Looks like I'm treating myself to another marathon of my favorite S1-S4 episodes this weekend to once again remind myself of why I love(d) this show! 

MCatry

MCatry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:57 PM

Well, Besides the classical scenes (meeting time at the BAU, the plane chat, the profile delivery) and the Unsub and victims time (nine scattered sections this episode), here is a summary of what happened last night:

Morgan and Girlfriend – Boring

Morgan and JJ interviewing the girl, also boring

At the police station… Rossi, Hotch, Blake and Reid, trying to do some profiling

Hotch and Rossi perform the interview to Mike’s friend, while Blake and JJ are in the observation room.

Morgan, Garcia and JJ on the phone sharing clues. Hotch, just being there.

A victim is found, and guess who is at the hospital! Morgan and JJ…

Reid doing a cognitive interview, and then sharing the info with Rossi, Morgan and Blake

Garcia shares her magic info with Hotch, Morgan, Blake and Rossi

Morgan and JJ again doing action time

Morgan and JJ still at the Unsub’s house, elaborating theories, and Garcia also, since she always calls Morgan, and only Morgan…

Hotch and Rossi perform the interview to Mike’s friend, again.

JJ and Blake interview Christopher.

JJ and Reid are checking records (as if Reid would need some help with that… wouldn’t he read all that in like five minutes…?) while Morgan and Hotch are...there.

Hotch, Blake, Morgan and Reid at the police station, exchanging info with Garcia on the phone.

Morgan, JJ and Rossi again will be doing the arrest, as they normally do these days... And Hotch, Blake and Reid would go to the dorms. Probably to sleep, since we just lost them right there.

Then, the awful JJ and Morgan time in the airplane (almost two painful minutes) and then Morgan and girlfriend being cozy. How ‘nice’. Another two minutes wasted...

So...

This was a classical Criminal Minds episode - Messer Style. 

Meaning... lots of JJ, ... Lots of Morgan... Lots of Garcia... Lots of fluffs... Known unsub.... meaningless story development... 

Annoying. 

Boring.

These are sad days for Criminal Minds.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for what else to see on TV those days, that looks remotely as a crime drama? I am seriously thinking I should migrate to another show...

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 2:28 PM

5. How many cases have we had recently, where something was done to someone during high school, and either the victim or someone close to the victim sought revenge?

It's bothering me so much, this latest thing of Messer's that all of the unsubs have been wronged in some way, and what they do is out of revenge. There's always some line where JJ or someone says words to the tune of "No wonder he went crazy!" No, JJ. Fuck no. Law enforcement can't sympathize, no matter how slightly, with the fucking unsub! Your sympathies are supposed to lie with the fucking victims, you hypocrite! And then they keep pushing the issue by making the victims horrible people and that's not the point. JFC.

I'd also like for someone to explain to me how  it is that Garcia still has a job with the FBI, because her attitude is not professional, at all. This week's "Ew, ewwwwww!" was particularly egregious.

It's gotten so bad, I even got irritated at the opening quote. I kept imagining Reid saying: Albert Einstein once said, "When the unsub wears a pig mask, you know it's going to be a bad episode."

I suppose I was prejudiced against the episode when Savannah turned out to be one of those significant others of law enforcement. You know, the Haley type. But then she was ok with it? I don't know, neither do I care, I've realized.

And anyway, is it that realistic that at a party where a pledge died, the fact that a teenage girl ended up in a coma would be swept under the rug? I suppose it is, though it gives me a bout of the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore". And anyway (again), what the fuck does it have to do with serial killers? Sister Revenge didn't kill anyone. When she was arrested at the end, cynical me immediately thought, "Well, now she'll have a place to stay and three meals a day. Forever."

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 3:56 PM

It's bothering me so much, this latest thing of Messer's that all of the unsubs have been wronged in some way, and what they do is out of revenge.

Me too. I find it lazy and also a stupid way to (try to) make the audience 'sympathize' almost with the unsub. I liked my old CM unsubs without any axes to grind and disturbing as hell. 

If any unsub made me "sympathize" with them, it was in 'True Night.' That was some effed up shit. 

Edited by diorella78, Apr 10, 2014 @ 3:59 PM.

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 4:29 PM

Here's the thing for me. How do these people who were living ordinary lives, weren't abused, didn't have traumatic childhoods, suddenly become kidnappers and sadistic torturers and murderers. Can someone explain that to me? Okay, I can understand vigilantes. Like people who, after they've exhausted every legal possibility, kind of "snap" and take the law into their own hands. They grab a gun and shoot someone, or they hire someone to beat the person up, etc. Like, they would have no reference point for doing these sadistic things, so they get someone else to do them.

What's missing from the PROFILING is the PROFILERS going to the origins of what made a normal person become a deranged lunatic. A person who chains people up and makes them drink acid. Where's the jump from "anger" to "torture?" Why don't they ever explore that? When ordinary people don't just kill, but serial kill, and not just serial kill, but actually create a whole theme around their killing. Get creative with it. 

The beautiful thing about the episode where that woman wound up sympathizing with her kidnapper, is that it was all done on profiling. We saw the origins. We got an insight into how a mild-mannered medical student would snap and kill a person. 

I thought the kid said "I think they were upperclassmen, I'm not sure, because they're wearing masks"  I thought it was weird that Reid then latched on to "they were upperclassmen", when the kid said he wasn't sure.

How lucky the kid was right there watching every move of these particular people like a stalker so he could magically recall the whole thing by just closing his eyes.

Huh. Maybe he said the thing about the masks at another time? But I'm positive he says, "I can't tell who they are, because they have their backs to me" then they show the pig-mask guys turning their backs to him.

Yes, this guy wasn't talking to anyone or doing anything to distract him. He just stood around only concentrating on the relevant people. And goodness, they don't even take these people into full hypnosis. At least on "The Mentalist" you saw him put the person under. 

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 6:40 PM

It occurs to me that "backs" and "masks" sound similar enough that I may have heard one and thought the other. And we only heard the word "masks" about fifty million times (damn, missed drinking game opportunity!)

iscoffy

iscoffy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 10:59 PM

JJ did NOT do a Derek impression. Tell me I didn't cringe all the way through that. I was horrified.

I have to admit that I have been focusing on getting in exercise time and made the formerly inconceivable decision to sacrifice CM to this goal.  However, I did tune in in time to see this little gem and nearly lost my mind.  That sounded more like an "AJ Cook makes fun of Shemar Moore" moment, not that that makes it much better.  It didn't seem like JJ bothered to find out if Morgan really wanted this lady to be "the one" or if she just randomly told him he was going to end up alone so he might as well try to hold on to "this one."  And yes, we really did like her as the press liaison better, thanks.

jonisc

jonisc

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 11:30 PM

The story did hold my interest, but there was entirely too much JJ and Morgan again. I figured it was a woman right away. Something about the way the unsub was covered from head to toe just made me suspicious. I found myself looking at the hands to see if they were small enough to be a woman's hands. And when the victims were both male and female, I was sure the unsub would turn out to be a female. I'm no genius. The writing is just predictable. I, too, am tired of the writers trying to drum up sympathy for the unsubs and trying to justify their crimes. It doesn't matter what happens to you. Murder is not the answer, nor is it acceptable.

I have no interest in Morgan's love life, but if someone from the team had to speak to him about it why did it have to be JJ? Anyone else would have been better, but it could have been a really nice moment for Hotch to empathize with Morgan, especially since Savannah's attitude was pretty much like Haley's. Why do these writers insist on making this the JJ show? I found her interaction with Morgan annoying. Each week I dislike her more and more.  As for Morgan's situation with Savannah, if this woman is a doctor, she certainly has to understand what it's like to have to work long hours and have unexpected emergencies. And good call to the poster that noticed the parents hadn't even arrived before the case was over. Just one more incident of lazy writing. At least Reid got the quote and got to do the cognitive interview, but Rossi, Hotch and Blake may as well not even have gotten on the plane for all they had to do on this case. So Hotch says, "Let's go to Memphis" instead of "Wheels up in 30." Where is the confident and in-charge team leader? Meanwhile, Morgan and JJ are running all over the place while the others are back at the station. And as I'm typing this, I'm watching LDSK on ION TV. Not only is it one of my favorite episodes, the script is so far superior to any in the last 3 seasons, it's like being hit over the head. This is just so sad and infuriating. Why bother having another season?

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 12:16 AM

It occurs to me that "backs" and "masks" sound similar enough that I may have heard one and thought the other. And we only heard the word "masks" about fifty million times (damn, missed drinking game opportunity!)

Yes, I don't think they said the word "masks" enough this episode. And yeah, I think one night we should all get together for a skype watch and play the drinking game. Maybe, like, every time JJ tries to be empathetic and winds up condescending. Oh, shoot. Then we'd wind up toasted before the first commercial break, huh?

However, I did tune in in time to see this little gem and nearly lost my mind. 

So glad you were able to catch it! And did anyone else find it a tad racist? 

, but Rossi, Hotch and Blake may as well not even have gotten on the plane for all they had to do on this case.

That could be said about most of the episodes nowadays. Unless it's an episode devoted to them. But I don't think there's been a Hotch-centered episode in forever!

Oh, and yes, she was wearing scrubs, and I kept thinking, "Wait...is she a doctor complaining about HIS hours? Really? Is she one of those 9-5 doctors? Because we see her leaving at a regular time in the morning, and she seems to be home at night. Must be nice.

Edited by SweetToooth, Apr 11, 2014 @ 12:17 AM.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 4:14 AM

I have no interest in Morgan's love life, but if someone from the team had to speak to him about it why did it have to be JJ? Anyone else would have been better, but it could have been a really nice moment for Hotch to empathize with Morgan, especially since Savannah's attitude was pretty much like Haley's. 

That is what I assumed when I read the preview about Morgan's love life problems.....I thought "oh, some Hotch airtime." He would have been the logical character. But no, it was JJ. If in an upcoming episode we revisit Rossi's grief over the lost loved ones in his life, I am sure it will be JJ to offer words of wisdom. If we see any part of Blake's life....it will be JJ to relate and fill the scenes. Another girl problem for Reid? JJ will be there with a sarcastic comment and roll of her eyes. I'd like to think I'm exaggerating......

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 4:29 AM

if in an upcoming episode we revisit Rossi's grief over the lost loved ones in his life, I am sure it will be JJ to offer words of wisdom.

Well, there was that time she was tortured. And her vacation in Afghanistan. She knows what it's like to be at war, yo.

LoveTVClassics

LoveTVClassics

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 12:49 PM

JJ imitating Morgan was the low point of this series.  It could have been a cute moment, but it was hideous.

It would be great if the writers had put in the remark about wishing she was still the press liaison intentionally, but unfortunately they aren't that self-aware.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 2:47 PM

And yeah, I think one night we should all get together for a skype watch and play the drinking game. Maybe, like, every time JJ tries to be empathetic and winds up condescending. Oh, shoot. Then we'd wind up toasted before the first commercial break, huh?

Oh, shoot.  I just assumed everyone still watching this dreck is always toasted before the first commercial break.  Y'all got some catchin' up to do.  :-)

ETA: but it would be cool to do our very own "TWoPeople's Couch"

Edited by walnutqueen, Apr 11, 2014 @ 2:48 PM.

missmycat

missmycat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 7:30 PM

I'd say judging for some of  Jim Clemente's tweets, Erica Messer isn't the only one completely enamored with JJ.

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 10:03 PM

Oh, shoot.  I just assumed everyone still watching this dreck is always toasted before the first commercial break.  Y'all got some catchin' up to do.  :-)

ETA: but it would be cool to do our very own "TWoPeople's Couch"

OH! Good point! I guess cupcakes then! 

HA. Yes, that would be funny. Can you imagine the stuff we could come up with and being able to yell it out in real time?

I'm not surprised they've all got a hard-on for JJ. I'm waiting for them to give her the tiara. She's such a speshul speshul princess.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 10:57 PM

I'd say judging for some of  Jim Clemente's tweets, Erica Messer isn't the only one completely enamored with JJ.

You mean like this one?  "Nobody's perfect... But JJ is as close as they come!"

I was hoping he was being snarky, but perhaps not.

missmycat

missmycat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 11:16 AM

@diorella78 Ha Yeah, that was the very tweet I was thinking about. and speaking of JJ there are already some people fearing that the finale is going to be JJ centric. And that it's probably going to deal with the PTSD issue.

I really hope that their fears as well as my own are unfounded. Sadly though I can see this awful scenario being a distinct possibilty, what with the people running this show being so damn enamored with this character. And treating her like she is one of the biggest reason why people watch the show.

The only way I'd want them to deal with the PTSD issues is for JJ realizing she needed more time off after her ordeal,resulting in less screen time for the character. 

Edited by missmycat, Apr 12, 2014 @ 11:17 AM.

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 2:07 PM

I guess some people are forgetting that perfect characters are boring. And people learn to hate them. Nobody likes a perfect character.  I mean, they're purposely making her a Mary Sue, it seems. And the more they try to stress how perfect she is, the more I want to see her fall on her pretty, pretty face. But they wouldn't do that to their snowflake. 

Edited by SweetToooth, Apr 12, 2014 @ 2:10 PM.

non sequitur

non sequitur

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 4:02 PM

JJ imitating Morgan was the low point of this series

This should have been cut.  It sounds cute on paper when shows do this, but this was a huge miss.

jojo13sfiga

jojo13sfiga

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:39 AM

NO NO NO!!!! please tell me I didn't just watch what I think I watched? 

Does anybody else feel like crying after this episode?

The whole episode seemed to have maybe 3 minuted of hotch, 5 minutes of reid and 30 minutes of morgan and jj. How unfair is that? 

the whole plot of the story was boring, unsurprising and just plain stale. The best part of the episode was when Morgan said " I liked you better as a press liason" and I just started jumping up and down and screaming "yes! yes!!! me two!"

and the unsub with the pig mask? seriously? it just didnt seem very real, plus at the start of the episode morgan and jj (god why is it always them?) said that the unsub was obvioulsy sadistic but they never mentioned it again did they? am I wrong?   

(oh and the acting? yeeeshhh... the two girls in the first scene were just...BAAAD and SM doesnt have any chemistry with Savannah ...like 0)

Edited by jojo13sfiga, Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:41 AM.

missmycat

missmycat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 3:32 PM

Here is imo a well written review of this episode. I don't really agree with this person as far as Morgan and the girlfriend goes,but he is spot on about some of the other things.Particularly the constant pairing of JJ and Morgan. As well as JJ in general.

http://criminalminds...le.blogspot.com

jojo This whole damn so called season of JJ has made me want to cry. This is ridiculous. JJ doesn't have a big enough fan base to justify the focus she has been getting. I still say she had no damn business getting that milestone episode of "200" 

I know a lot of her fans kept pointing out that Hotch got "100" However he has one of the largest fan bases, TG also gets top billing.Now I'm pretty sure neither one of those situations can be applied to AJ/JJ's status on the show.

Edited by missmycat, Apr 15, 2014 @ 3:36 PM.

MCatry

MCatry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 PM

NO NO NO!!!! please tell me I didn't just watch what I think I watched? 

Does anybody else feel like crying after this episode?

Not really. I feel like wanting to punch someone. Yes, that someone. The one responsible for this whole declining of quality that has been happening in front of our noses for the last three years. There is not one single episode I would like to watch again without pressing either mute or FWD at some point. 

All I hope for this season finale is the permanent removal of JJ and the new boss. I don't care about the how. Bomb, poison, LDSK, whatever. I would be so happy if something like that would happen. 

But, as Hotch once said,... "what I want, I'm not going to get".

jonisc

jonisc

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 PM

I'm with you, MCatry. I can't even remember the last time I looked forward to an episode of CM.