Criminal Minds: You Are Not Tired of Serial Killers, Are You?

• Please log in to reply

39839 replies to this topic

Coopman

Coopman

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

Ohmygoodlord. I've watched this show for a long time and I have to (in the most shallow way) say, if it wasn't for pretty, pretty Shemar Moore and strangely interesting (and pretty) MGG, I just couldn't even do it anymore. Srsly.
(Oh, Hotch is invited, too, on the pretty train.)
And I didn't even guess the little guy was a puppet, SMH.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

And I didn't even guess the little guy was a puppet, SMH.

Har - me neither! SMH, too!

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 3:49 AM

I took a nap after watching and have some comments. This looked like a scifi horror film or an episode of The Outer Limits or something rather than CM. That said, it did mostly hold my interest. I was engaged, but not in the way I used to be with CM. CM used to engage me intellectually and I used to try to figure out the mystery of who did it and go along for the journey. This was more of a visually interesting thing.

The scene at the very beginning didn't seem to make much sense to me. I guess it was a thing where we were supposed to think that the orderly was about to murder the patient and that was what the episode was about but then the sudden twist of Dourif's character waking from the coma interrupted. I felt that initial scene before the waking really dragged. JSB seems to love having psychopaths who laugh maniacally and she couldn't resist incorporating that somehow and we got it in the form of the patient. It just smacked of caricatures instead of real people. Maybe the old coot was trying to get the orderly to up his morphine. I didn't buy that the orderly would have cared. If he was planning to be mean, he could have lowered the patient's morphine and walked away.

Some of my friends really liked the medical examiner. One one hand, she was amusing, but the fact that she seemed happy about more bodies just didn't seem realistic. Maybe she was being sarcastic and I missed it? And the line about the unsub being crazier than her last girlfriend just seemed gratuitous.

I too didn't get why the clerk ran out of the store and drove away in a vehicle that greatly resembled a vehicle my family once owned. He clearly had a telephone, why couldn't he just call? Oh wait, it was in the plot that he needed to show up at the door.

I was tired so I didn't get that the little guy wasn't real at first. I was rolling my eyes and thinking "Great, another team of unsubs". I couldn't figure out what the little guy's motivations were. In retrospect it makes sense that he wasn't real. If Dourif's character was such a loon and had the mind of a child after waking up, why was he just released into the public? Was he really mentally able to take care of himself?

When I heard the female victim speak, I couldn't help but think that she looked and sounded almost exactly like the sister in "Heathridge Manor", but her voice wasn't quite as breathy. I kept feeling like the pain level coming from the victims was underwhelming.

I don't think Gubler missed the girl's fingers twitching, I think it was deliberate. It was to show she was still alive and that all she could do was move her fingers.

Many people were really horrified by the shoulder dislocation scene, but my sister once had me watch a medical documentary about people with "natural laxation" (also called double-jointed) and a cheerleader was filmed demonstrating how she could put her hands behind her back, clasp them together, then move her arms all the way up from behind and twist her shoulders out of socket to rotate her arms to the front and then end up with her arms in front of her-- all without releasing her grip with her hands. Plus there was a guy in X-Files who climbed down a chimney or something and they had a contortionist dislocate the shoulder to show how he squeezed in to a hole. I guess because I knew it wasn't real and knew how it was done, it didn't bother me.

Does anyone have subtitles? Some people were saying they thought that Reid called his girlfriend "Babe" but others thought it was "Maive" or something.

Is it wrong that I called BS on Reid saying his mother said his hair was too long? His hair was long as a child-- if she had cared she would have had him cut it. The only physical critique she ever seemed to give him was that he was "so thin". Plus the Aunt Ethel thing just came out of nowhere. Reid's past seems to indicate that he only had his mother-- unless his aunt Ethel was out of the picture during his childhood and suddenly moved back into an area where she could see him.

I do actually buy Reid being nervous. He's been rejected and abandoned many times. Even if he intellectually knows something, emotionally he is still afraid of being abandoned. Plus, its one thing to talk to someone on the phone or internet and feel in love and then meet them and find there is no physical attraction. Plus there is precedent for couples to feel like they are in love before they meet and then when they do meet there is no physical attraction.

I think I may have been the one to suggest that it seems the writers are trying to outdo each other with who can make the weirdest unsub.

The interviews with Gubler indicated that CBS pretty much made exceptions to allow this episode to be so out there and that it won't be typical of the rest of the episodes this season (at least not until episode 20 comes around).

I have to say that Blake has good chemistry and does well when interacting with Reid, but she seems quite flat when paired with JJ. It sounds more like she is reading her lines rather than actually feeling anything then.

I suppose I can fanwank that Reid isn't telling the team about his MG because he hasn't met her yet and he doesn't want to be bombarded with intrusive questions about her and then have them give him odd looks when they find out they haven't met and then maybe they would pressure him and try to meddle. I'm pretty sure Garcia would try to meddle-- at least with the way they write her now.

I actually totally bought Morgan admitting he did not respect Reid's privacy. He's a nosy control freak who wants to know what is going on with the team. I can see this being something he wants to know particularly after what happened with Prentiss. I did like that JJ called him on his BS.

There were some points during the episode where I felt the lullaby music was a bit too loud and too obvious and if it had been toned down a little it wouldn't have interfered with the scene.

I can't remember if people rushed in to cut down the victims near the end. I did like the look on Hotch's face as he looked around and we see that the guy has filled the theater with creepy things to replace an audience. Did anyone else get a flashback to "Reflections of Desire" when the unsub imagined the audience cheering as he was being taken away? This one greatly reminded me of that episode actually. The kidnapping, the trying to get people to say the lines, etc. It also reminded me a little of "Psychodrama" only much more convoluted.

JJ saying "Reid has a girlfriend" seemed childish, but it did remind of when she was gloating about Garcia and Kevin dating, so it didn't seem out of character. I couldn't see Hotch's reaction though. He really seems out of touch with what is going on with the team though. Someone told me he looked surprised or "dumbfounded" about Reid having a girlfriend.

As for Blake noticing something with Reid on the plane, it was clear that he was distracted and there was just enough emotion in his face when he was talking about stalking to indicate there was something personal. It wasn't his usual fact-spouting.

Was anyone else annoyed that the girlfriend keeps interrupting Reid when he's talking? LOL.

Also, did anyone else notice the guy right by the door when Reid was walking in to the restaurant? The guy had a creepy vibe to him. What if HE was the stalker? What if he's the season long unsub?

When Reid had his panic attack in the restaurant I couldn't help but think back to his comment about instincts earlier on. He felt something was wrong. Perhaps it really was him psyching himself out-- but what if the SLU was really there and he somehow sensed he was being watched. I actually liked that he got up and was ready to confront the guy that he thought was a stalker.

I wonder how awkward the next phone call would be for Reid and his MG, given that he probably scared the piss out of her by saying the stalker might be there. Reid: "Sorry, false alarm-- I just had this bad feeling-- and a guy was looking at me in a creepy way". MG: "#$#$%#$! I had to change my corduroy underwear!" JK.

I probably missed some thoughts, but that was about all I can think of for now.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 4:42 AM

I took a nap after watching and have some comments. This looked like a scifi horror film or an episode of The Outer Limits or something rather than CM. That said, it did mostly hold my interest. I was engaged, but not in the way I used to be with CM. CM used to engage me intellectually and I used to try to figure out the mystery of who did it and go along for the journey. This was more of a visually interesting thing.

This is exactly how I felt, too! I thought "ok, pretty interesting theme, but am I watching Criminal Minds?"

I also didn't realize the little henchman wasn't real. d'oh. I will also embarrassingly admit at first I was confused by the "audience" too. Of course that became much more obvious, but initially I thought "um, ok....do they think that's fake blood? and who would go to see a puppet show without kids?" But yeah, for these things it reminded me of the Outer Limits or one of those low-budget 'scary tales' ABC would occasionally feature for kids/teens on Saturdays. Like someone upthread noted, too....did Tucker really have to drive over to find the guy and ask these things? I guess a simple phone call wouldn't do....?! But then, we wouldn't have had that completely cliche` scene of someone walking into a trap, complete with shots of the door locking behind him. dun dun dun.....

When Reid had his panic attack in the restaurant I couldn't help but think back to his comment about instincts earlier on. He felt something was wrong. Perhaps it really was him psyching himself out-- but what if the SLU was really there and he somehow sensed he was being watched. I actually liked that he got up and was ready to confront the guy that he thought was a stalker.

I think the stalker/SLU really was there, too, only Reid misread who it was. I think his instincts were right and I believe we'll see how it plays out eventually.

SterlingMArcher

SterlingMArcher

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

I wish Reid talked to Morgan or JJ instead of Blake. I really don't give two shits about her. She's just a throw-a-way character to me.

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 6:14 AM

I have barely watched this season so forgive for asking silly questions but I really don't understand Reid's girlfriend situation? They've been talking for months but have never met. Because she has a stalker and goes out with a disguise. Um what?
So where did they meet? How? If I was being stalked to the point I have to wear a disguise, stay indoors and have people call me from a pay phone, I'd be somewhat hesitant about starting a relationship. Not just for my sake but stalked aren't the most stable people and if he/she finds out about my new "friend"...well... Bye bye dead friend.
Another question, none of you are writers for the show (unfortunately) but why not give Reid a "normal" girlfriend? In the sense that, she doesn't have dark secrets or a crazy stalker. She's just a chick. On the same level intellectually as Reid maybe and having a personality that fits with his but essentially: A normal woman.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

"#$#$%#$! I had to change my corduroy underwear!"

Love it!

but my sister once had me watch a medical documentary about people with "natural laxation" (also called double-jointed) and a cheerleader was filmed demonstrating how she could put her hands behind her back, clasp them together, then move her arms all the way up from behind and twist her shoulders out of socket to rotate her arms to the front and then end up with her arms in front of her-- all without releasing her grip with her hands. Plus there was a guy in X-Files who climbed down a chimney or something and they had a contortionist dislocate the shoulder to show how he squeezed in to a hole. I guess because I knew it wasn't real and knew how it was done, it didn't bother me.

That's interesting, and makes me feel better about being so oddly fascinated by that scene.

Danielg342

Danielg342

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

What got me the most about Morgan's privacy comment was the delivery- JJ reacted like Morgan pries because he just "has to be nosy" and not because he cares, and Morgan hardly defended himself. This could have been a great moment where Morgan says he does the things he does with Reid because he cares about him and nothing else. We could then argue the merits about his actions but nobody could question the motive. This whole "Morgan is an uncaring brute" vibe really irritates me, and we could have had a moment where he could undo that notion and we didn't get it.

I didn't realize until now the little guy and the audience weren't real, but, even after learning that, it doesn't resonate with me, because I found the episode so boring. Matthew Gray Gubler sounds like a great guy to chill with and have a beer or something...but somehow I just don't think the guy has a clue. I don't know how he can contend this episode "isn't anything like you've seen on CM" when this episode clearly harkens back to the other obtuse storylines we got this season, especially "Through The Looking Glass" and "God Complex". I suppose, given how bizarre CM is this season that nothing surprises me anymore, but Gubler's statement and the reality just don't register with me.

As for the girl's limbs: I'm not disputing that lifting her arms above her head after her hands are tied behind her back isn't possible- I know that it is, and I suspect the actress is double-jointed. However, when we saw her arms getting lifted we heard every crack that her bones were going through and saw agonizingly her shoulders be ripped out of her sockets. I openly wondered why that was all necessary- it could have been shown a different way, or just not shown at all- the hospital X-Rays proved that the shoulders were separated in this manner.

Furthermore- if the woman's shoulder is broken, the arm or the fingers shouldn't move *at all*. That's why you separate the shoulders in the first place- to incapacitate mobility. If Gubler wanted to show the girl as being alive, he should have had her move something else, like her eyebrows, because the arms and fingers shouldn't move at all. That's just poor research on his part.

audreyngreen

audreyngreen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Here's what annoys me as a stupid trend on this show. Serial killers with disturbing childhoods or backgrounds who then enact the exact same scenarios in their murders. It's true that there are oodles of ways for a person to become traumatized and could eventually turn to murder but doesn't the type of murder more or less converge into simple sadism, torture or other brutal methods.

Show is trying to be edgy and weird and develop these unique MO serial killers when, if they cared anything about reality, would develop good story lines around killers who strangle or stab. Yes, it's been done before but honestly serial killers aren't that sophisticated most of the times.

Danielg342

Danielg342

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Show is trying to be edgy and weird and develop these unique MO serial killers when, if they cared anything about reality, would develop good story lines around killers who strangle or stab. Yes, it's been done before but honestly serial killers aren't that sophisticated most of the times.

I agree. Unique MO killers should be left to CSI, I think, because that's more their thing. CM's thing should be about exploring the motivations behind crimes, and there's millions of different themes to explore. I get that "weird MO" might get people wondering "why do it that way?" however, if you do it too much it just becomes unbelievable.

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

DanielG, we don't know for sure if Gubler decided to have the girl's fingers move or if it was in the script and he just went with it. There are people on the show who have the jobs of doing research to decide whether or not something was plausible. There have been a number of medical inaccuracies and implausible behavior/events on the show, so I think this was just par for the course.

I actually don't remember hearing the cracking sounds. Did they actually say the shoulders were "broken"? I've dislocated my ankle before, but I was still able to move my toes, but maybe that is because I was able to pop it back in-- although I wasn't able to walk normally for almost two years (it still gives me some trouble from time to time).

I've decided that the writers are going for Shock and Awww. They want to shock us with the over-the-top unsubs and then expect us to say "awww" at the personal moments-- especially with Jack and Henry.

I forgot to mention, that I didn't think it made Morgan seem uncaring when JJ balked at his claiming to respect Reid's privacy. I think at this point they are all up in each other's business. Morgan has trust issues-- especially after what happened with Prentiss. When he cares about people he wants to know what's going on. I think he maybe would be afraid to know details of Reid getting his freak on though, so maybe he was curious but wasn't sure he really wanted to know. :P

And I don't recall any responses to this: Did anyone else notice that before Reid went in to the restaurant, there was a sort of creepy guy in the forefront. The camera sort of lingered on him a bit and I'm wondering if that was intentional and maybe the guy is someone who will pop up again, or if it was just coincidence.

BitterApple

BitterApple

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Last night's episode underscored how Criminal Minds is dying an embarrassingly slow, painful death. The plotline bordered on absurdly comedic.

"Garcia, give me a list of all puppeteers in the area who may have had an issue with brunette women as a child." Seriously?

This show is so beyond jumping the shark I don't think there's any hope left.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Did anyone else see Chad Lindberg in the "audience" at the end, when they started to applaud in the unsub's mind? He's the actor who played Ash on Supernatural, but I know him more from being one of the kids in the Dennis Quaid film The Rookie, as well as one of the imaginary people in the CM ep "With Friends Like These." I could have sworn I saw him right in the center of the shot where we first see the audience completely.

GBB

GBB

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

Suddenly Blake's his confidante over all these people he's known for years? She's so ultra-perceptive, that she notices something is off just from him stating a bunch of facts about stalkers on the plane in what could also be seen as a professional manner - come on, writers, get real!

I think Reid's been confiding in Blake for a couple of reasons -- she's the one who "caught" him at the phone booth and it's often much easier to talk about personal things with someone you don't know very well (and who doesn't know you) than it is to confide feelings to people who know you inside and out. Especially when your feelings involve romance or your own vulnerabilities, it can be easier to say things out loud to someone who doesn't have as many preconceptions about you (and whose opinion of you doesn't matter quite so much).

I too noticed the guy outside the restaurant. At first I thought he was the stalker and that he would snatch MG while she was on the phone with Reid. Now I think he may either be the SLU or he was a random extra who wasn't supposed to look so creepy.

Edited by GBB, Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:04 PM.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

I only watched part of the episode and I think I have to be done with the show. Whoever wrote it must have a reality check: you are not even close to David Lynch. If you want to go for the weird, you must be some sort of genius.

It was so bad, I don't think I can watch the rest of it and I don't think I can even comment on it anymore.

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

I just realized something when re-watching a clip that someone posted: Morgan said to the store clerk "There's a victim in a case that we're investigating. He was wearing a shirt and a pair of jeans from here." He never says that the guy was murdered, yet when Tucker went to confront the unsub, he said that the FBI told him that someone was killed/murdered (I don't remember the exact verbiage since I don't have a clip of that part).

Here is a picture of the creepy guy btw: http://24.media.tumb...cmdl0o1_500.png

And while the contortionist stuff didn't bug me, THIS bendy finger did:
http://25.media.tumb...cmdl0o1_500.png

The unliving audiendce:
http://24.media.tumb...cmdl0o1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumb...cmdl0o1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumb...cmdl0o1_500.jpg

Hotch's reaction: http://24.media.tumb...cmdl0o1_500.jpg

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

I've been a fan of this show since the beginning, but the gratuitous violence & gore that is depicted so GRAPHICALLY on every friggin' show this season has me totally turned off & tuned out. I don't care what they say in "the story", it's just nonsense to frame the crap they're showing. Blech. One fan gone!!!

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

the gratuitous violence & gore that is depicted so GRAPHICALLY on every friggin' show this season has me totally turned off & tuned out. I don't care what they say in "the story", it's just nonsense to frame the crap they're showing.

I lurk more than post but I'm with this sentiment entirely. I started watching CM in reruns & quickly got hooked & sought out all that I could find. I have continued to enjoy repeat episodes, but the lack of what I feel is building a story vs. showing an unsub torture & kill is losing me. I enjoyed the puzzle, the minds working together to get the unsub figured out. That was what, imo, set the show apart. Now it's show the gruesome murder, fly to a location, introduce the unsub complete with name, location & shoe size, have the team stumble around & question, more close-ups of the murderer, use magic computer skills, unsub informercial selling his murder method, team breaks in & arrests unsub. And bonus points for who can dream up the most disgusting means of murder & torture. I don't watch horror movies for a reason. I miss the intelligent interaction & the feel of a team. It makes me kind of sad.

audreyngreen

audreyngreen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

Last night's episode underscored how Criminal Minds is dying an embarrassingly slow, painful death. The plotline bordered on absurdly comedic.

"Garcia, give me a list of all puppeteers in the area who may have had an issue with brunette women as a child." Seriously?

Succinct and gets right to the heart of the dregs this this show has become.

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

I have to say I can understand why people are giving up. I'm stubborn so I'm still holding on, but I don't expect to ever enjoy it as much as I did in the beginning.

The focus on the unsubs and torture porn really is disheartening. I don't think all of the episodes are that bad, but this particular writer is known for gratuitous extreme violence. She went from having a pair of unsubs gleefully shooting people up in public places while adding the squick factor of suggesting one of them was sexually abused by her own father (but having her hit on people in a disgusting manner), to a retarded unsub (retarded because of the way he was written-- not intellect level) who raped his own niece and tortured his victims by pouring acid on them, to the female unsubs beating their victims and dragging them behind cars, to the female unsub who was a teacher that got pregnant from an underage student (for squick factor), and on to this episode. I might have missed something in there-- oh yeah, the torture porn with the Alzheimer's patient who pissed himself.

I really do miss when they didn't show so much of the unsubs and the violence.

raziela212

raziela212

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Another question, none of you are writers for the show (unfortunately) but why not give Reid a "normal" girlfriend? In the sense that, she doesn't have dark secrets or a crazy stalker. She's just a chick. On the same level intellectually as Reid maybe and having a personality that fits with his but essentially: A normal woman.

Pretty simple, they already gave Hotch a normal girlfriend. And since they are trying to fill the first and last 5 minutes of every episode with these crappy personal stories they just have to come up with something different, another normal relationship wouldn't fill these 10 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it either, but I guess this is the writer's thought process.

Anyways, this episode was kind of the last straw for me showing the joint dislocations... I almost threw up.
It's just a waste of time, 5 minutes soap opera, 20 minutes unsub, 5 minutes torture porn, 5 minutes Garcia's daatabase solves the case and another 5 minutes soap opera...
Maybe I'll watch the season finale, but it will probably only be some concoted bullshit storyline about the damn stalker...

lucy1984

lucy1984

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

I actually enjoyed aspects of this episode- however, I totally agree with what everyone is saying about Torture porn- like, they actually could have told this story without killing anyone at all, and made it just about the kidnapping and, yeah the disclocation- but those guys turning up in boxes were totally gratuitous.

I liked some of the visuals in the episode like the audience of toys/ puppets, and the fact that the episode had a distinct visual style.

I'm nearly sure at the end that Reid's 'instinct' was because the season long unsub was somewhere around.

I didn't mind Reid being insecure- I think that's natural for a guy in his thirties who's still never had a real girlfriend. I'll be sorry if they throw that storyline away on some cheap gore later in the year.

I actually liked Morgan respecting Reid's privacy, but I hated the fact they are trying to have Blake leech on to reid's popularity and become his confidant. Also, by way of a further sacrifice they are completely forgetting about JJ and Reid being so close he's her son's godfather- seriously, show, she now has no inkling anythings up with him, and talks about this major development with a similar level of interest to how you might talk about an intern who'd just started at the BAU's love life? Also, her hair looked weird.

marceline

marceline

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I've been a fan of this show since the beginning, but the gratuitous violence & gore that is depicted so GRAPHICALLY on every friggin' show this season has me totally turned off & tuned out. I don't care what they say in "the story", it's just nonsense to frame the crap they're showing. Blech. One fan gone!!!

Make that two. This isn't what I tune in to CM for.

Danielg342

Danielg342

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Wow. So many fans leaving the show...I thought the episode was bad, I didn't think it would have *this* impact.

Did some thinking about the progression of the show, and the first time an episode showed an UnSub's face- and we knew it was the UnSub but the team didn't- was "The Last Word", though that one still had one real "unknown" UnSub. The first time *all* the UnSubs were shown early with the team not knowing who they were was in "Scared to Death", the first episode without Mandy Patinkin. It was a bit jarring when it happened, but it worked so well since you got a glimpse into Stanley Howard's motives, and the mechanics of the crime was just easier to explain if they were shown. Who helped write that episode? Our current showrunner, Erica Messer. I can bet the writers and producers had an argument before it came to fruition, since it went against what the show had done previously.

Once they saw that it worked they let it happen again, though what they did was open Pandora's Box. When they first started showing the UnSubs, it was about "humanizing" them and showing what drives someone to commit crimes, since part of the allure of serial killers is knowing why they did what they did. Now, it's just to be lazy so the writers don't have to spend too much time creating a mystery- all they have to do is show the guy and just make this a generic "stop him before it's too late" show, when we know it is so much more.

Silje

Silje

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

I don't watch Fringe but I remembered people talking about a scene with a human puppet/marionette on that show so I found that scene and.. I guess the writer on Criminal Minds is a fan of Fringe?

MamaBird

MamaBird

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

unsub informercial selling his murder method

I can't stop laughing at this! And sadly it is only a very slight exaggeration of what's been happening in the show.

I didn't watch last night's show, and came here to find out if I'd missed anything. Apparently I did not. The torture porn has been getting to me, too - I really don't like that kind of thing, and I find myself watching those portions of CM through my fingers. This show used to be appointment TV for me, and I've been watching ever since I discovered it by accident one night during Season 2. The plots used to be intelligent and spellbinding. We never needed to see any of the unsubs doing what they do; finding the bodies was enough. The unsubs themselves were a mystery until the team solved it. I liked it so much better that way.

mizkat

mizkat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Ugh. I'm halfway through this episode--I'm done. It's disgusting. I might have continued, then he pulled out the hammer and screw...that was it. It's one thing to be scared, another to be grossed out. There are ways to portray a sadist without being so gross--and part of sadism is psychological, and not "I had a bad childhood so I'm a crazy sadist" psychological.

I didn't realize until now the little guy and the audience weren't real,

I never got to the audience part, but I knew right away the little guy wasn't real. That's not bragging about my viewer intuition, and it's not a good thing that I figured it out from the get go.

don't think all of the episodes are that bad, but this particular writer is known for gratuitous extreme violence.

I've been able to stand to watch a few this season (I balked at the puppies and returned for this one because MGG was directing) but at the time I was disappointed in the quality and dumbing down of the team. God Complex is the only one I've liked. I was unspoiled on the writer, but from the old man's dialogue in the teaser I knew right away it was a JSB episode. I'm just surprised MGG directed it (the parts I watched) so graphically. And yeah, her bones definitely cracked. Loudly.

I guess I'll finish reading what happened here on the board re: Reid and his mystery woman. That pisses me off too--why choose this episode to address it again? Talk about being sadistic to us Reid fans.

Oh and one more edit because I just read this from zaneej :)

On the unrealistic exposition dialog front, it made me think of an episode of Stargate: SG1 when the ending really seemed like an episode of Scooby Doo. The team members were explaining to the villain at the end how they had caught him, Michael Shanks was so dismayed with the dialog that he adlibbed "And you would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for us meddling kids". He was just being an ass but the director decided to keep it in. It was the highlight of the episode.

Did Shanks say that, or RDA? Either way, if either of them ever had a reason to be an ass, it was right then and there. I rolled my eyes so far in the back of my head I hurt myself during that episode. That one liner was the only thing that made it worth 50 minutes of my time--good thing the director realized what utter shite it was too. And if the actors on CM used it every time the dialogue was served with an 18 lb side of ham, almost entire episodes would consist of that one classic, yet useful, line.

Edited by mizkat, Dec 6, 2012 @ 5:10 PM.

marceline

marceline

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Wow. So many fans leaving the show...I thought the episode was bad, I didn't think it would have *this* impact.

Personally I've always been on the fence about the violence in this show, especially towards women but the show used to be intelligent and thoughtful enough in the team interaction that I was willing to squirm my way through the suggested violence. But the violence isn't suggested anymore, it's shown, it's reveled in and it's gratuitous. This isn't the show I started watching. It's one thing for a show to bore me or make me angry but this OFFENDED me.

myyellowrose

myyellowrose

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

Did Shanks say that, or RDA?

Shanks. RDA was long gone by then. It was season 10.

I admit to cringing when the shoulders dislocated. That was gross. (I've never dislocated my shoulder, but I did break it once...well where the long bone in my arm met the shoulder socket, anyway) and although it was painful, I could move my fingers.

The crucifixion injuries nearly cause me to change the channel though. I remember back in the early seasons that the violence was mostly implied. In the commentary for the pilot they were discussing how the network wasn't sure about picking it up because it was so violent, and they pointed out that the most you saw was the unsub cutting the victims fingernails, and I remember being surprised because it hadn't occurred to me, but they were right. The unsub taking the blindfolded victim's hand and applying some type of clipper to her fingernail. They cut away and let my imagination do the rest. Can we go back to that please? Much like the shark in Jaws, what you don't see can be scarier than what you do.

Oh, and count me in as one who came away wondering why they just left the human puppets hanging there. Didn't we used to get some kind of update. In the form of one profiler telling another that "their life will never be the same" or something? I was left wondering what kind of outcome the puppets were looking at, if anyone ever decided to cut them down.

mizkat

mizkat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

Shanks. RDA was long gone by then. It was season 10.

Ah. Clearly I did hurt myself since I misremembered who said it.

They cut away and let my imagination do the rest. Can we go back to that please?

Pretty please. Actually, I'm begging, because right now I can't bear to watch this show anymore--and it used to be my favorite. It's even tainting watching past episodes for me.