Criminal Minds: You Are Not Tired of Serial Killers, Are You?

• Please log in to reply

39847 replies to this topic

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:29 AM

It seems off somehow to assume that an injury sustained in a car accident by a 15-year-old would automatically induce psychosis or psychopathy.

That wasn't what it was. The son inherited some type of psychosis from his mother. She took medication as well.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 4:36 AM

Josette, so THAT'S what it was. I must have sneezed during that five seconds and missed the connection. ;-)

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

Hotch just wandering off and not even nodding in their direction. I'm glad he's getting a personal life, but I don't need to see so much of it

I could be wrong, but generally in crime shows like this the New Girlfriend On The Block turns out to be a kidnapper and/or a vengeful sister of either a cold case victim or a wrongfully convicted suspect.

Edited by shapeshifter, Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:06 AM.

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

I had forgotten that in a brief moment Reid mentioned something about how the crippled son could have inherited something from the x chromosome of his mother in terms of mental illness. I was so irritated about the bad dialog and lack of profiling.

Notice that they didn't immediately jump to the "maybe he's impotent" thing like they normally do? Ugh.

Speaking of Shemar, there is another Morgan story in the works. Because apparently the theme with Morgan this season is that he can't let go of things from the past and the writers will dig up something from last season but aren't willing to even continue a Reid story for more than one episode... JJ and Prentiss are getting a bit of the short end too. Rossi at least got a couple of episodes mentioning his ex.

Criminal Minds season 7 Spoilers.
Hint, it involves something brought up in "Big Sea".

spongemonkey

spongemonkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

I'll be totally honest, I fast-forwarded through all the scenes with the unsubs. It saved me 20 minutes and the episode was much, much better. I liked the ending with the triathalon, actually. Thought it was a nice change-up from the usual doom gloom drama. So I guess I've found a new way to watch criminal minds; fast-forward as soon as the unsub comes on screen (about 1 minute in, these days).

spongemonkey

spongemonkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

D'oh. Double post.

Edited by spongemonkey, Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:47 AM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Wow, the writers really are intent on immediately draining all traces of mystery from the 'mysteries', aren't they?! Not to be all "but the S1-S4 cases were vastly superior!" again, but...well, IMO they really were!

Even when we saw the identity of the Unsub fairly on in S1-S4, there were always still layers to peel back about the why, the how, whether he/she had accomplices, what he/she might do next, etc. Now all of that is either explicitly shown from the outset, or so obvious that it doesn't need to be.

And the "look, see, the team are real people, too--with real lives outside of the office, and they're totally family who all loooove each other!" felt painfully forced. ITA with whomever noted that those scenes felt like poorly written fanfic. I just don't see much of a deep, "they really connect!" friendship among the female characters (though I've sincerely tried), and seeing them whine about their hangovers after an apparently 'wild and craaazy night out' didn't do anything to change my mind; it just seemed kind of silly.
And I don't especially care about Beth, who in true CM fashion seems to have no salient personality traits at all. (There's so much about this show I love, but characterization---and especially that of female characters---is, to put it politely, not their greatest strength IMO!)

On the bright side, we got to see TG/Hotch smile. And we also...well, come to think of it, that was the only bright side. *hastily deletes this episode from my DVR and protectively hugs my S1-S4 DVDs*)

Edited by MsTaken, Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:10 AM.

Shades of Red

Shades of Red

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

MsTaken:

All this talk of earlier episodes makes me wonder if anyone would be interested in doing a CM Rewatch of at least S1-S5 once this current season is over? We just finished one for Gilmore Girls, and it was really interesting and fun to watch the series 'with' other people from the beginning and compare insights, what we loved and deemed snark-worthy, how our opinions of certain things altered with hindsight and with repeated viewings, favorite/least favorite episodes, etc.

Ooh! I'd be up for this, as long as you don't have to have seen all of the eps yet to participate. (I have all the DVDs but have only seen about 10-15% of the first four seasons - - I know, I know.)

After a string of what I thought were very good eps, the writers finally ran out of gas last night, as I figured they would. This episode was a total mess. Both my SO (a series-long CM fan) and I said at the same time that we would have figured out the unsub was in a wheelchair within 5 seconds of hearing no sexual contact + victims' thigh markings, and we were pretty distressed that it took Reid the better part of a day. And then J.J. figures out that it's a child and two parents while Reid mumbles something about siblings. J.J. is actually my favorite character (whatever - - I can't get past how beautiful AJC is and I happen to love her acting and the character), but she shouldn't be shown to be quicker than Reid, at least not so blatantly.

So . . . everyone's on route to the house. They know that there are three killers (no longer unsubs; they know their IDs now). And then they find the dad crashed, alone, and they all just stop? How about sending half the team to the house to get the other two while the other half dawdles with Dead Dad, in case, y'know, some nubile young woman (she was adorable and gorgeous, FWIW) might be in danger? Oof.

So . . . J.J. needed a sitter. She got Reid to do it. Much comic relief about how Reid can't babysit. And then . . . J.J., Penelope, and Emily go out until sunrise?? WTF - - responsible parenting much? And what happened to Henry once they all left to go watch Hotch's race? At least we weren't subjected to Will. Maybe the one line of relevant dialogue provided that he was working the night shift or some shit, so we can assume he got home when they did, but this just bugged.

I like Beth a lot but can't shake the feeling that she's a plant ("What made you think I was an agent?" "What else would you be?") or a future victim/damsel-in-distress. However, I think the actress and TG are cute together, it's a pleasure to see Hotch smile, and Jack is always great.

Felt like Morgan was the short-ender in this one. He had about three lines and did not advance the plot one bit. He tackled no one and was not tackled. Oh, and why did Dave squeeze off two rounds into Baker at the end, but Morgan and J.J. held their fire? A secret pact among the BAU members to hold down the paperwork?

The outdoor establishing shot before they showed up in the Atlanta field office showed a building reading "Atlanta Police Department." Yeah, FBI field offices aren't generally located in local PD stations.

What a waste of Kathy Baker and, for that matter, the dad, the son, and Erica the Cute Trainer. All good actors in search of something better than this fiasco.

Edited by Shades of Red, Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:01 AM.

Hazy Hazel

Hazy Hazel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

Then we have Hotch pulling away from the group to go see Beth and inviting her to eat after Reid already suggested they go get something to eat and then just leaves without a word to his team.

I don't think we were meant to believe he just walked off and left his team behind. I'm pretty sure when he said, "we were about to go get something to eat, would you like to come" he meant all of them, as in she, Jack and Hotch rejoined the group and they all went out to eat together. I think the whole point was that he was standing there with the team and didn't shy away or try to hide the relationship from them. He confidently walked over to her and hugged her in front of them and then invited her to come along with all of them. I'm guessing it was meant to show that he's serious enough about her to allow her into his inner circle and to meet his son. I'm guessing we won't be seeing her much more. She'll probaby get a mention here and there and will appear about as frequently as Haley used to, which is fine with me. The 8 minutes of screen time that has been dedicated to Hotch and Beth over 3 episodes hasn't bothered me. It's nice to see he's feeling better and moving on. : )

The psychos of the week were entertaining enough and certainly made me appreciate just how sane my own family actually is. ; )

I found the whole Reid offering to babysit thing quite adorable and would love to watch him interact with a 3 year old any day of the week. Just imagining it makes me smile.

I think that they are probably shoving profiler JJ down our throats a little heavily. She's suddenly an expert and has a theory on everything every week while the profilers who have been doing this for years kind of sit back and look at her in awe as she apparently comes up with ideas that none of the rest of them could. I could go for a lot more Rossi, Prentiss, Morgan, Reid or Hotch in those particular situations, but she's the writer's new toy and they're having fun with her right now. It'll wear off soon enough I'm sure.

Edited by Hazy Hazel, Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:35 AM.

YourMom

YourMom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

I still can't believe how far downhill this show has gone so quickly. I realize that every show starts to run out of steam after the first several seasons, but usually it's a slow decline and we all have time to grieve and accept it. Come to think of it, this show hasn't even gone downhill. It's just fallen off the edge of a cliff without warning. Did they fire all the writers all at once and hire entirely new writers? I know the Continuity Fairy occasionally takes a vacation, but she must have been murdered by one of the suddenly omnipresent unsubs because the writers seem to have entirely forgotten what their characters are like.

And speaking of the suddenly omnipresent unsubs, this is one easy fix that would singlehandedly solve a lot of the issues this show is having: stop devoting half of each episode to the unsubs. First off, it's great if they have some sort of story that makes us feel sorry for them, or repulsed by them, so on and so forth. But whatever we feel about the unsubs, they're not the characters we're personally invested in. They're not the characters that we tune in to see. Second, it kills any mystery or suspense. Third, this overfocus on the unsubs requires each subsequent case to be more and more outlandish than the one prior, and that quickly devolves from suspension of disbelief into outright intelligence insulting.

I'll admit I didn't watch any of it, but wasn't the this unsub myopia supposed to be the premise of the CM spin-off? And didn't that flop miserably? Why are you trying to take your successful show and make it like your unsuccessful show? Professional death wish? Dogged pride? Seriously. Cut it the fuck out.

racbec

racbec

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

I have to admit, it would have been cute to see Reid holding Henry at the race.

roughing it

roughing it

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

I have to admit, it would have been cute to see Reid holding Henry at the race.

Especially if it was a front baby carrier, a la Baby Carlos from The Hangover! Hee! If they can't make it compelling, at least make it funny.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

Loved the unsubs -- beyond scary in a creepy mental way. I think showing them early on in this episode was a good idea. Glad the writers don't feel the need to make every episode -- "see, here we are profiling again". I liked the way the unsub story melded into the profiling and the stories came together in the end.

I don't know what happened, but Beth looked about 100 years old in the tea-tea shop.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Was Jack born in the first season, making him 6 since this is the seventh season?

Loved the unsubs -- beyond scary in a creepy mental way. I think showing them early on in this episode was a good idea. Glad the writers don't feel the need to make every episode -- "see, here we are profiling again". I liked the way the unsub story melded into the profiling and the stories came together in the end.

I agree. There are times when they tend to do too much unsub, but this wasn't one of them, IMO.

Harriet 12 3

Harriet 12 3

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

Case was awful, so much mystery could have been put in with a story like that but no, they told us everything. Personal interactions were stupid and forced. Reid's Henry's godfather, a genius and thirty but JJ can't trust him to babysit? I got a laugh out of him cheering really loudly to annoy the girls but seem a bit..well...silly for CM. I like Beth but I feel like the small doses are increasing which I don't like. Also I can't buy Hotch introducing Beth to Jack this early even if it is as a friend. It's taken him so long to date, I cannot buy he'd introduce his girlfriend to Jack at the first opportunity. Jack, as always, was supercute.

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

Yeah, it would have been nice for an explanation on where Henry was now that everyone else was at the triathlon and there was no mention of Will getting home.
Might have been awkward if Will did come home and found Reid there with Henry and JJ was out all night. I imagine Reid would have worried if JJ didn't call to update him.

Hazy_Hazel, if the team members had made any motion to follow Hotch and Beth I would have thought they were going with him. But they just stood there and watched. I hope you're right about Beth not being in the show much.

YourMom, about the writer firings: Yes (sort of). At the end of season 4 there were budget cuts. The writers were forced to take pay cuts and the ones who refused to take the pay cuts were fired. I'm not sure of the full list of them, but Andrew Wilder and Debra Fisher were two of them. Andrew Wilder was the script coordinator. Then Chris Mundy was cut to work on the spin off and subsequently fired. Oanh Ly, Ed Bernero, Simon Mirren, and Deb Fisher all quit. (Deb was a producer but not a writer. Ed and Simon were writers as well as producers). This left one of the writers (who used to co-write with Debra Fisher) running the show. Most of the writers are new or worked in a different capacity on the show prior to becoming writers.

Common

Common

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

I watched this episode all the way through instead of getting bored halfway and changing the channel like last week. There was too much unsubs, though thankfully not all the 'unsub' time was about glorifying violence against women (which is often what the unsub-heavy eps are).

The "team as family" anvils continue, blunt and stupid.

I always get the distinct impression that the writers from season 5 on aren't fans of the show, don't really know the characters or care to.

Agreed. It's like they were given a character sketch and went with that, instead of watching ANY of the previous seasons. So we get random FBI agents, not the ones from season 1.

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

Agreed. It's like they were given a character sketch and went with that, instead of watching ANY of the previous seasons. So we get random FBI agents, not the ones from season 1.

I agree as well. And it doesn't seem like they even got very good sketches because some of the characterization was way off the mark. The writing for Reid was particularly bad. I don't know how much of that was because of them not knowing what to do with him, or because they weren't sure that Matthew would be able to film as many scenes given his injuries. That does excuse some of the earlier episodes but not the much later ones.

The episode with the puzzle Prentiss had was a good example of the writers not knowing the characters. Reid claiming to not get the story. Prentiss not realizing that Reid would be able to solve the puzzle. "There's a lot to hate about you dr. Reid" line. Rossi telling Prentiss to try playing chess with him (which made it sound like she was newer to the team than Rossi) and no smile from Reid to indicate he knew Prentiss was joking...

babycatcher54

babycatcher54

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Wait! What injury has Matthew sustained? What have I missed?

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Wait! What injury has Matthew sustained? What have I missed?

During the hiatus between season 4 and 5, Matthew dislocated his knee so badly it tore the arterial cartilage and broke off a piece of bone. He was unable to put weight on it for about 6 months or so and it took 3 surgeries to fix it.

It's the reason they had Reid shot in the leg in the season 5 opener.

No recent injuries-- I hope.

Hazy Hazel

Hazy Hazel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Hazy_Hazel, if the team members had made any motion to follow Hotch and Beth I would have thought they were going with him. But they just stood there and watched. I hope you're right about Beth not being in the show much.

No, they were watching him interact with Beth and once they saw that the three of them were coming along, they all turned to walk toward wherever they all were going and Hotch, Jack and Beth were following behind.

Shades of Red

Shades of Red

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

It definitely looked to me like Beth was invited to lunch with everyone as well. Sloppy writing not to have clarified it for certain, perhaps by having Hotch say, "let me introduce you" or something as they started to walk off.

Edited by Shades of Red, Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

This chat is slooooow. And of course of all the intelligent questions about the writing and the episode itself, what do they ask? The bikini one. *headdesk*

No, they were watching him interact with Beth and once they saw that the three of them were coming along, they all turned to walk toward wherever they all were going and Hotch, Jack and Beth were following behind.

Ok. For some reason I didn't see that. Thank you.

It definitely looked to me like Beth was invited to lunch with everyone as well. Sloppy writing not to have clarified it for certain, perhaps by having Hotch say, "let me introduce you" or something as they started to walk off.

It certainly would have helped if he walked her over to the team instead of away from them.

rbnnybt

rbnnybt

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

Watching Criminal Minds has become like raising an alien arthrobaby mpregnated through micromachines invaded from the planet of the buggers in "Ender's Game". If it were anyone else's alien arthrobaby, then you'd totally hurl it against wall, bash it in with a hot poker, futilely spray it down with Raid, and don a pair of old broken-down galoshes to stomp it and its mpregnation devices out of its bulging thorax, but because it's your alien arthrobaby, you wrap it up in the pink/blue blankie that you knitted for it right after you came to terms with gettin' knocked-up but still thought that you were having a regular hoooman wormchild, tuck it into your bed, marvel at its hideous segmented belly, tickle it where it wuvs to be tickled, and giggle-gaggle in motherese, all the while feeling that totally disgusted throw-uppity feeling, but nay, you no-redrum alien arthrobaby for greater anthrogood, cuz the oxytocin, it R powerful drug in your brrrainzzz, and yea, indeed is resistance futile.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 2:45 AM

I had to drive some distance to a business appointment today, and for some reason my mind briefly turned to C.M. I realized I disliked last night's every bit as much as I hated the entire season that Prentiss and JJ were gone. It felt that heavy and fractured.

Though Josette and others clarified that when I missed five seconds last night, I missed the bit about the mother also being emotionally disturbed and on meds, it hit me that if something THAT CRITICAL to the plot could be so poorly written, then it really was crappy.

The entire premise (of the parents' enabling Junior's killing sprees by bringing him victims and then disposing of the bodies) was simply absurd. Additionally, the writers laid no foundation for making that believable, such as the mother being known for feeding kittens to the family dog or something equally gruesome. There was nothing in the "profile" that suggested that the mother as "fixer" would also be her son's murder-pimp.

Seriously, when JJ and Prentiss were off the show, I tried watching, but wound up watching Everybody Loves Raymond reruns (for the millionth time) instead. If C.M. keeps going like this, I will have to go back to Ray. For the million and oneth time.

Zanneej, thanks for the information on the writers. I had not realized that. One of these days, producers will comprehend that if they don't give actors good stories and good lines, their shows will fail. Abrams killed both Alias and Lost by inserting writers who screwed up the story arc. Now it's happening here.

Maybe USC could start offering "how to jump the shark 101" as a screenwriting course, to scare the bejeezus out of students entering the entertainment industry. And offer up C.M. as exhibit number one.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by FrogsRule, Mar 2, 2012 @ 2:48 AM.

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Is Kim Harrison the one who was once told she got continuity wrong and responded with "my continuity rocks"? Or was that JSB?

A few things that were mentioned in other forums that show Kim doesn't know her continuity:
the Beotch (Beth/Hotch) scene at the beginning had the trite dialog about what if Hotch missed his triathlon? And Hotch said he would go to hers instead. Problem: Beth's race was in January. This was February. Fail.

At the chat Kim Harrison said that Garcia was the one taking Salsa lessons and got JJ and Prentiss to come along. Rewind to last season and it was Prentiss who was taking Salsa lessons. Fail.

Also, the last time we saw these three having a girl's night out I think they were shopping for baby Henry and not drinking. Before that they didn't seem to be drinking in excess and made fun of "Brad" who said he was an FBI agent. So why would these three intelligent professional women choose to get so incredibly drunk-- all three of them. No designated driver. Especially when we know Reid has probably lectured them on the dangers of drunken behavior. They know very well what can happen when they are not in full control of their senses.

Had they actually been at one of their houses (and made reference to it) instead of out in public, it would have been less of an issue for me. But I still wonder how JJ managed to make it home. I suppose she could have used a cab... It just didn't seem necessary or in character to me.

Plus the whole thing was superfluous and didn't fit with the story. They could have done the Beotch / triathlon stuff in this one and girl's night out in another episode.

Some things of note from the chat last night:
Kim said that Reid was the hardest character for her to write. No shit. I actually found myself thinking it would have been better for Reid to have not even been in the episode to spare him of the bad dialog.

Oh, and get this: She had Reid babysit to show him being "responsible" and she wanted to change things up a bit. WTF? Since when has Reid not been responsible? He's a 30-year-old man who has been working at this job since he was 22. He had to be responsible for himself AND his mother from the time he was 10. He has a hell of a lot of experience being responsible and that is no "change". People leave their kids alone with inexperienced teenage girls as babysitters, so why would it be such a big deal for a mature grown man with caretaker experience (albeit with a mentally ill mother) who has proven himself over the episodes to be quite good with children to watch a small child for a couple of hours?

Kim did confirm that the rest of the team were going to breakfast with Beotch and Jack.

She also said that Will was pulling double duty (or something like that) and got home to find Reid asleep on the couch with Henry and then JJ came home. So Will watched Henry while they went to the triathlon.
She joked that Reid read his favorite bedtime story to Henry. It was something about US Department of Labor Statistics.

It was cute, but it shows she doesn't have the slightest grasp on Reid's character at all.

Remember in "Seven Seconds" when Reid pulled the DVD of Babar the Elephant out of the player and said it was his favorite movie when he was little? I don't think Reid would forget that so he would probably pick up any one of numerous children's books at JJ's and read them.

I'm actually now relieved that we didn't see girls' night out or Reid babysitting because I'm sure it would have sucked.

Did I mention that Kim said if she could change anything about the episode it would be that she would demand to show girls' night out. I think for future reference I will call that GNO.

And despite all of that, I almost enjoyed parts of the episode. I wasn't feeling entertained but I was at least interested. It's a shame the story was so convoluted.

Edit to add: I think Kim Harrison is a sweetheart and I appreciate that she even participated in the chat. Some writers don't like to do that sort of thing. She was pleasant enough. I have no issue with her personally, I just take issue with her writing (and the writing of many other people on the show).

Edited by zanneej, Mar 2, 2012 @ 7:16 AM.

Hazy Hazel

Hazy Hazel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Last night's chat:

http://cmsetreport.blogspot.com/

QASteph

QASteph

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

Rossi telling Prentiss to try playing chess with him (which made it sound like she was newer to the team than Rossi) and no smile from Reid to indicate he knew Prentiss was joking...

That was an especially egregious example because it also points to Reid's randomly variable chess ability. They made a super big point of him losing to Gideon all the time and had Emily play against Gideon as a big "she's been accepted onto the team" moment while the three of them were on the way back from Guantanamo. It seemed that Prentiss was *better* at chess than Reid in that episode. But apparently he studied up (having just never thought of that tack when Gideon was around) and now beats everyone all the time though Prentiss hasn't noticed while Rossi has. Grrr.

The family o' unsubs was creepy in a not-at-all believable way. Their scenes were all atmospheric and had creepy music, and the wheelchair-bound unsub had a serious lack of affect most of the time, but there was no explanation as to why. The mom-unsub was a "fixer." So what? Why did her presumably sane husband go along with that? Guilt only gets you so far. And then the "hey honey, go kill yourself and make sure you make it seem like you murdered all of these women on your own" moment where the husband just agreed? How does she know her son is over this killing spree? How will she dispose of the next body/bodies without the husband? For a show that spent so much time showing the unsubs and had a bunch of profilers having supposed insights I am still left bafflingly confused about what drove the unsubs. Or maybe it is that the minimal explanation offered didn't ring true. In either case, it was highly unsatisfying.

Edited by QASteph, Mar 2, 2012 @ 4:01 PM.

zanneej

zanneej

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

I'm trying to remember how many times Reid lost at chess to Gideon. In some ways I think Reid was letting Gideon win, even if not consciously because he felt somehow inferior to him. He was intimidated by Gideon. I don't think they really implied that Prentiss was better at chess than Reid. I always took that scene to mean that Prentiss was studying both of their strategies and being from the outside was able to see things that maybe neither of them saw because they were involved in the game.

I guess the biggest problem is that the writers who knew how to write Reid left the show and we are stuck with the newer writers who don't quite get the characters. None of them have really been quite the same.

I hate what they've done to Garcia.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 2:58 AM

zanneej, I AGREE! Garcia used to be one of the most interesting "techies" on TV, and now she's a cartoon of her old self. Wonder if they had let her be the gay person she is, instead of forcing her character into a heterosexual relationship, if that would have improved things?

I feel like they need to ditch the entire writing team they currently have and bring in a new, cohesive unit that knows how to write good scripts. Maybe the team that wrote Friday Night Lights. Those writers could learn the procedural stuff pretty quickly. They understood "ensemble" and "drama" - two elements seriously missing from C.M. now, but not in the past.

C.M. has too good a premise, and too excellent a cast, for CBS to abandon it. If they announced NOW that they were using the summer to retool, and then got their PR people to "leak" spoilers and good buzz, they could have the #1 season opener in TV history.

But if they don't, I'm afraid C.M. may be quietly cancelled and its spot given to a new show. I don't want that to happen.