Lt. Alex "Crashdown" Quartararo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

37 replies to this topic

philippa

philippa

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 1:26 AM

obviously an old thread now, but on a recent rewatch, I loved how he was one of the pilots toasted by Kara in 'Scar'.

gone but not forgotten

Aaah - I knew I forgot something. ETA:

Samuel Witwer is voicing Darth Vader's secret apprentice (ie the main character) in the soon to be released game 'The Force Unleashed'. I have seen footage from the game, and Vader's apprentice looks *remarkably* like Crashdown. ;)

Edited by philippa, Jun 12, 2008 @ 1:54 AM.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 1:52 PM

I liked Crashdown's character, or more precisely, I enjoyed what Witwer did with Crashdown but until moments ago when I saw this thread title? I had no idea whatsoever that his character had a first and last name.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 12:03 AM

I also only knew him as "Crashdown" before the thread informed me. How do we know his full name?

Romantique

Romantique

Fanatic

• Interests:Books, yoga, marathons, books, TV, movies, books, tennis, traveling, books, theater, museums...and did I mention books?

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 2:27 PM

According to this Battlestar Wiki entry on Crashdown, his name was confirmed by one of the writers, Bradley Thompson and printed on a collectible card (wow, there are BSG collectible cards :-)?). He was already gone by the time we get to "Final Cut," which is where we learn a lot of first names, like Felix (Gaeta), Anastasia (Dualla) and Margaret (Edmondson...Racetrack!).

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 11:50 AM

I'm committing blatant theft on Optimistic Cynic, who posted this clip over in the Being Human thread featuring the actor, Sam Witwer. It's a very funny clip, but in case you've ever wondered why Crashdown was written out, finally there's an answer in the last two minutes.

I am likely the only person who cares, but just in case there was another "But I really liked Crashdown!" fan out there, there you go.

Jeez, just one of those things where the way events aligned to make it so there would never be a podcast for Fragged left it sort of hanging as to what happened. Evidently Witwer asked to be written out, because he had been hired for "comic relief" and didn't feel like it was a show that could ever support a character whose main purpose was to add the funny.

I can see where he's coming from on that, although I think Crash was funny. I could never find Baltar funny, pretty much ever. Just the character's background made it difficult to find him amusing. Also, as a person who really held it against Cally's character (which I know was me at my most unreasonable) that Crash died, I'm glad to finally know for sure that it was never a question of "which character do we off here? One potato, two potato..."

There's also a small answer as to why I've never seen RDM address the character or the actor leaving that makes so much sense. Sam Witwer went to David Eick to be written out. Aha! Good to know. That helps explain why Ron Moore never really had much to say on the subject, I'd always been afraid it meant that he didn't like Witwer much (which just every clip from Being Human cast interviews makes that seem so unlikely) ...but instead, it makes perfect sense. Witwer went to Eick...which again...makes perfect sense since the show never really attempted much funny stuff in the later seasons, it was likely Eick who thought a comic relief character might work. If I had to bet on it, Crash was one of Eick's pet characters.

The show never really went too near anything comic in the last two seasons and as a big fan of dark humor, I really missed that.

Edited by stillshimpy, Sep 1, 2011 @ 11:52 AM.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

Evidently Witwer asked to be written out, because he had been hired for "comic relief" and didn't feel like it was a show that could ever support a character whose main purpose was to add the funny-.-stillshimpy

Thanks for posting that link, and yes, it really does put the character (and the show) in a different light. First, I am happy to find out that Witwer asked to be written out and I am happy that Crashdown wasn't some kind of random victim of trying to up the drama (or of Moore's history of killing off popular characters). Second, wow, I didn't know that Eick and Moore wanted "comic relief" for a show that can describe as "shit happens, people die, more shit happens." Even though, Crashdown had a short life span, he was one of my favorite characters along with Jammer, Starbuck, Baltar, Dee, Number Three, Head Six, Gaeta, etc...(most of them didn't survivor the whole span of the show).

The show never really went too near anything comic in the last two seasons and as a big fan of dark humor, I really missed that.-.stillshimpy[/b]

I concur that the show never went near anything comic, but I do believe that to have a few chuckles every so often was good, but they never went anything near that was comic. Although, I did enjoy the occasional Star Trek shout outs (like the Astral Queen and seeing the USS Enterprises' serial number on a dock head). In addition, the dark humor was spread out and the real focus was always on the drama.

Edited by TVspectator, Sep 2, 2011 @ 10:05 PM.

Effra

Effra

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, science fiction, football (English), Dickens, London, Italy.

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 2:27 AM

That's very interesting stillshimpy. And I do think Sam Witwer did a very good job as Crashdown. I think whilst I would struggle to put Fragged in my top ten episodes, it without doubt makes my top 20 and at the top end of 11-20. Generally I am less keen on episodes that are light on the principals in part because I think the acting and character quality suffers but Fragged stands out as one of the exceptions and that is in good part because Witwer really delivered on what was a well written character.

Just sat here and tried to think of any scenes I find funny in the last two seasons and only come up with: Bill and Saul's paper conversation; Laura and Gaius fighting over the hybrid; and Bill and Laura's passive aggressive conversation as the mutiny is starting. It's strange though because little of it as there was this is the kind of dark, absurdist conversation I most like.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2011 @ 12:37 PM

I was glad to see Witwer address it, not because there had been any huge controversy, there hadn't been any. I've personally never seen RDM say a word about Witwer and whereas he did mention something that might have been related to Witwer, it wasn't anything negative. Just one of those generic "the character wasn't working" or something like that. It was vaguer than that though, more like "there was a character in season one that wasn't working, but we sorted that out" which might have been about Crashdown or might have been about a million other things.

I think what Witwer refers to in that clip is that comment though. It's just a nice opportunity for him to offer clarity.

For whatever it is worth, I don't think RDM would ever say something that he thought might hurt someone's career. So a comment like "the character wasn't clicking" can be taken at face value, rather than being code for something alarming in a professional sense. That's just based on how careful he always was in the podcast and in interviews. Of course, there is fan math :-) Like the time they did a round-table podcast and while being extremely careful not to name the director, the cast and Ron Moore were full of "We hated that guy! Every last one of us! There was almost a rebellion on set!" stories (the cast brought it up, RDM didn't deny it, but clearly held the reins on the "we're not naming names here" thing). They were honest about their personal experiences without impugning anyone's character. It took people listening to the podcast four minutes of ye olde Google-fu to figure out "Yup, they're talking about Felix Acala. Interesting, he works like crazy."

But they always were careful not to slam anyone. Unfortunately, Witwer exited around about the time Paul Cambell (Billy) did and Paul Campbell is prone to being goofy, it seems. Nothing dire, but at the time he had a blog, it didn't reflect a high level of diplomacy in terms of professionalism -- here's an example, his IMDb biography shows that pretty clearly. It's not that he's unprofessional, it's that he's upfront about not being a science-fiction fan and that he didn't actually want to commit to BSG because it was scifi. He also likes to be sort of silly (me too, so I'm not judging). I think when talking about the mini on his blog, Campbell said something like he was pleased to see it wasn't "a complete steaming, pile of crap". Funny, but also kind of wince-inducing.

Anyway, Ron Moore was always very nice about "hey, the actor (Campbell) didn't want to commit, it wasn't a problem but we did eventually have to write him out because it made planning stories more difficult" no rancor, or ill will. However, if you're Witwer and the same guy only ever indirectly addresses your departure from the show, I can see how it might cause a case of "For the record...I'd like to say...".

Long way of saying, I liked how Witwer and Moore (if he was actually talking about Witwer in the "character wasn't clicking" or whatever equally mild language of "nothing personal" was used) basically end up saying the exact same thing. Witwer just sort of slid the fact that most of what he did ended up on the cutting room floor in there, while praising the show. While Moore's "wasn't working" also encompasses "Yeah, for whatever reason, his was the stuff that always ended up on the cutting room floor...it just wasn't working." (as in "the material" and not "the actor").

Also, I think the whole thing where, as far as I know, Ron Moore never actually directly addressed anything having to do with the actor, can end up being read in the opposite manner. Moore's pretty up-front, while still making sure not to slam anyone, so I've always sort of taken the "he never really said anything" to mean: I don't think he actually remembers much about Witwer. He was focused on running an entire show, juggling a bunch of characters and there wasn't anything personal.

It's also clear that Witwer knows that, because he also tosses off the seemingly sincere "I don't know if Ron Moore even remembers this..." without being nasty about it. On a production of any size, or really in any work environment, you just remember the things that were problems or drew a lot of focus. Like how RDM was asked about Campbell's departure, partially because the actor was out there giving interviews, talking about not liking science-fiction. I mean, that's a freaking problem if you're the show-runner of the science-ficiton show he's on.