Top Gear

• Please log in to reply

943 replies to this topic

Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

I'm sorry if thi has been addressed, but is the new season on yet? If not, when does it air? I can't seem to find any info..thanks...

Ladi Izz

Ladi Izz

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

I'm sorry if thi has been addressed, but is the new season on yet? If not, when does it air? I can't seem to find any info..thanks...

If you're in the US, the next season starts on April 16. For some reason BBC America hasn't run one commercial for the new season but loads for Richard Hammond's new show which airs right after it.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

Maybe they'll start advertising for "new" TG very soon?

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Hmmm... torn on the India special. Liked the unscripted bits - like the exhaust cricket and James missing the train - but the whole food delivery challenge and garden party fell absolutely flat for me. The garden party in particular was just terrible - everything seemed so contrived.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

Favorite moment of the garden party was the quick focus on the stack of British products, including the Airfix Spitfire model, a nice little nod to James & Toy Stories. Then they used the paint to "repair" the Roller. Cute. Mildly amused by "pixelated hands" and after that...not much else. Hoping the regular series episodes are better.

Edited by InnerCanuck, Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:20 PM.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

Hoping the regular series episodes are better.

They are. The deleted scenes from the India episode are actually better than about 75% of the actual episode.

They also (somewhat obliquely, if I remember correctly) admit that the India special was crap.

khyber

khyber

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

I found the India special a real snoozer. Just the same old, same old. What I really enjoyed was the new Richard Hammond series. I'm looking forward to the next one tonight.

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

The India special seemed too scripted, like they were all just tired. They also had nothing interesting to say about any of their cars. Hope the regular episodes are much better.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:10 AM

I actually feel asleep during the India show and was bored blind tonight. This is a surprising turn of events that I really hope doesn't last. Oh, and Hammond's new show - in the immortal words of Buffy - Bored now.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:25 AM

Was Clarkson referring to the article linked here on Feb. 8 in his intro to the new series? The one about the "tired" format & such? Or was there a kerfuffle about something else related to the show we're unaware of here in the States?

I enjoyed the supercars in Italy, especially driving in Rome and how very, very seriously they took the laps against the clock at the race track. Not certain I need previews for next week - did they do that for the UK broadcasts, too, or is it just for the benefit of us "stupid" Americans?

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Not certain I need previews for next week

They do a 2 min preview clip of the season at the beginning of every season, and previews of the next episode. They are obviously filmed at the same time as the rest of the episode.

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

So, was there ever an explanation for what was up with the first tow-truck driver? (Thanks for the explanation, CarsonMcKay!) I loved how Hammond was "invisible" during that whole exchange. Also, I was quite impressed by the clutch failure on the Noble. Perhaps one of our British viewers could explain - was Jeremy's comments at the beginning of the episode in reference to the whole Mexico scandal from last season? About how Top Gear had been on the news and such in the past few weeks?

Overall, not the most exciting episode, but much better than India.

Edited by cstad, Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:09 PM.

CarsonMcKay

CarsonMcKay

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

So, was there ever an explanation for what was up with the first tow-truck driver?

It wasn't explained on the show. But, it was because the truck the driver had couldn't tow the car. If he hooked up the front of it, having the back axle in use but not the front would ruin the transmission.

Katrinawitch

Katrinawitch

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Finally caught part of the new season opener, but sadly missed both Michael Fassbender and Ryan Reynolds (the hotties!). I did catch the race between the disabled military guys and our 3 clowns, on motorized scooters. It was nice to see Jeremy lose a challenge for a change. The usual shenanigans were funny, especially when they tested out the scooters in a populated area, and went into a bookstore and knocked stuff over.

How adorable is Richard?! I caught a bit of his new show, and this time around he was in Orlando, FL, manning a demolition backhoe thingy. I watched him totally demolish a port-a-potty that he was only supposed to be moving from one spot to another. The backhoe operator was very patient, and a good sport. Who could resist The Hamster, after all!

tjreess

tjreess

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

What was with the Audis getting in the way of the cameras in the last few episodes?

halo_pub

halo_pub

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

They are making fun of Audi's recent advertising obscuring beautiful vistas and landmarks.

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

I think I've watched this show too much as the editing mistakes & footage filmed later are starting to pop out at me.
For example in the Bugatti Veyron race with the truffles, Jeremy makes a big deal about the spoiler being difficult to put down, but then two shots later, it's back up again. Shot after that, back down again.

DaddyOfP8N

DaddyOfP8N

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

I tend to think that the "obvious" visual goofs are there on purpose (i.e. to let sharp viewers notice the gaffe), but perhaps I am giving the men from Surrey too much credit.

Either way, It is the best scripted show on TV in the US.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

With all the cars of various types (from the Robin to the Minis) in the Olympic Closing Ceremonies, I was a little disappointed that none of them was driven by the Stig.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

Agreed -- I was really waiting for a door to open and a Stig to pop out (or a Jezza, at the very least!) ;)

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

James and Jeremy were on Graham Norton this week. It was a fun couch and I loved Jeremy's impression of why he hates children who stare. And of how he can drive James nuts with his watch. Plus apparently Jezza tweets the license plates of drivers who annoy him on the road.

chowie

chowie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

Glad to see the show is back, though the guys are showing their age even more. Delayed reaction to Damien's test drive the other week - I feel bad for him! I hope they invite him again so he can redeem himself.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

Glad to see the show is back, though the guys are showing their age even more.

When Hamster said it had been ten years since they did the last car vs. train challenge, I was surprised time had flown by. I am always glad the trio are still together after all this time though.

Is it spoiler free here? I don't know if or when it airs in the US.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

When Hamster said it had been ten years since they did the last car vs. train challenge, I was surprised time had flown by.

That isn't true, though. He was just exaggerating. The show had barely started 10 years ago (late 2002 was series 1). They've done two car vs. train challenges (according to Wikipedia): Aston Martin DB9 vs. TGV and Eurostar French fast trains London to Monte Carlo in series 4 (2004), and Nissan GT-R vs Japanese Bullet Train Hakui to Mount Nokogiri, Chiba in series 11 (2008).

Is it spoiler free here? I don't know if or when it airs in the US.

It airs Mondays, but we're 8 days behind. So, we just finished episode 3 Monday, and the UK finished episode 4 Sunday.

Edited by WhatDoYouKnow, Feb 21, 2013 @ 4:56 PM.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 5:16 PM

Thanks for the airing info!

London to Monte Carlo in series 4 (2004),

This is the one I remember and the one he was referencing, but nearly 9 years since they did that, not a short amount of time. They mentioned James's 50th birthday the other week and he's always been portrayed as oldish so he remains the same. I do notice they are aging, but their dynamic remains good and consistent. I'm just glad Hamster doesn't have long hair again.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

I'm just glad Hamster doesn't have long hair again.

I still maintain that was a side effect of the brain damage he suffered in his crash. That's the only logical explanation.

chowie

chowie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

I hear that the upcoming Africa episode is a good one. I don't think it will air in the US until next week, though. But I'll be looking forward to it!

I felt so bad for the Twickenham grounds. And I was rooting for Mays' team to win. I confused as to how they were going to make it a rugby match, but I guess they bent the rules a bit to accommodate the cars. Maybe they can show a volleyball match next time, or tennis. Though those wouldn't be able to show as spectacular car crashes as football or rugby.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

I'm sure they've shown the drive across the Kalahari. I saw one where they drive across Africa back in December.

halo_pub

halo_pub

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 5:35 PM

You're probably thinking of the Botswana special, which was filmed in 2007. The upcoming two-parter includes a hydrological tour of Uganda & Tanzania.

lindiana53

lindiana53

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 8:25 PM

God, I love this show, and I'm a middle-aged woman who doesn't even like to drive.