North and South: BBCAmerica does Masterpiece Theatre

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

684 replies to this topic

JeanPoole

JeanPoole

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2005 @ 11:44 PM

I ordered a "region free" DVD player from a site here in the U.S. I didn't read the specs carefully enough

Sage advice graybrown bird. There are more than "a couple" of region free dvd players that have the PAL converter built in to view on U.S. (NTSC) tvs. I've got a basic one and a player with bells, whistles, and HDTV ports as well. Just be careful in checking out the specs and you should be fine because adding a "converter" isn't always as easy as it sounds.

bufferuskers

bufferuskers

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2005 @ 9:17 PM

The BBCA has announced they are issuing a Region 1 DVD of North & South sometime soon (they were inundated with requests). I ordered a DVD from amazon.uk, but this is good news.

I wish Richard Armitage's performance had received greater notice in the U.S. - no one knew about it. It's just a tragedy. His performance was amazing, and Hollywood really needs actors with his kind of ... ummmm ... "presence." Sexy AND talented - what a concept. I hope the big producers and directors have a chance to see this performance; maybe the DVD release will generate some buzz.

(If you are interested in finding out more about this actor, there is a Yahoo group devoted to him, a message board on proboards called c19, and also a website with the domain "richard-armitage". Put a www before and a .com after.)

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2005 @ 6:29 AM

That is good news. Nice to hear that BBCA actually listens to its viewers.

I am kind of amazed how far under the radar N&S has flown overall. It should have been on Masterpiece Theatre where it would have gotten a lot more notice. BBCA did very little to promote it. Usually BBCA hits you over the head with endless promos, but I don't think I saw any.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2005 @ 9:25 AM

I'm guessing it will show up on MT in a year or so. At least that is what happened with Wives and Daughters. BBCA showed it and then MT showed it about a year later.

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2005 @ 9:59 AM

If Amazon is to be believed, the N&S DVD will be out on November 15.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2005 @ 1:12 PM

But even MT is hacking the crap out of recent imports. I'll wait for Netflix to carry the DVD of N&S. Glad to hear that may be soon.

Jet Black

Jet Black

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 6:14 PM

If Amazon is to be believed, the N&S DVD will be out on November 15.

So did anybody get their N&S DVD? They were a bit overpriced at Best Buy. Amazon seems to have the best price.

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 7:08 PM

Have you tried deepdiscountdvd.com? I think they were about $23 with free shipping.

I've put this on my Christmas list. I'm looking forward to see everything they chopped out of it on BBCA.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2005 @ 5:16 PM

Disk 1 is on its way from Netflix. After all I've read about this series here and elsewhere, I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Broette

Broette

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 3, 2005 @ 9:07 PM

North and South just aired in Canada on TVO as well, earning a big sigh from their membership drive lady. Heh.

Well, I thought it was fantastic. They did show the choppy version (I especially noticed it during the party scene) but my best friend ordered the DVD from amazon.ca and it has all the full scenes and four deleted ones as well. I'll be getting it for Christmas and can't wait to watch the 11-minute interview with Richard Armitage.

I'm very surprised that this hasn't led to more attention in the U.S. Perhaps if it aired on A&E or PBS like Pride and Prejudice it would get more notice. I certainly hope it leads to more roles for Richard Armitage since I thought he was fantastic... and looked awfully good in a cravat.

LadyC

LadyC

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2005 @ 1:34 AM

I love this mini-series. I stumbled upon it when I was reading the Pride and Prejudice thread.

The chemistry between Daniela and Richard was amazing. I watched the last scene on episode four over and over.

Truly beautiful series.

Jet Black

Jet Black

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2005 @ 4:34 PM

I finally watched the DVD on a rainy Sunday and it was very apparent that so much has been chopped from the version that aired on BBC America. If the series was excellent in its edited form, it's fantastic in its full DVD version. The budding romance between Margaret Hale and John Thornton makes much more sense. It no longer seems like a cliff notes version of a romance. The Richard Armitage interview on Disc 2 is too distracting to watch due to the extreme eye candy factor.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2005 @ 3:35 PM

I was finally able to rent it from Netflix. I liked it.

I agree with everyone who said it was choppy. I even watched the deleted scenes and can't imagine that if they were included the program would have been less choppy.

I did find Daniela Denby-Ashe's accent alittle off in some places, but I guess that's because I was used to her as Sarah on "EastEnders".

Armitage: Wow! Hot doesn't even begin to describe him. And that scene where he says "Look back! Look back at me!" <swoon> (Mr. Milz had to revive me). Thornton is my newest literary boyfriends.

P.S.
I'm glad Mr. Milz's Momma isn't like Hannah Thornton!

Edited by Milz, Dec 23, 2005 @ 3:46 PM.

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2005 @ 5:30 PM

I surely hope Santa brings this to me on Sunday. I was a very good girl and I really want to see the entire thing, not the choppy BBCA version.

Let's hope Santa doesn't get confused by bringing me Patrick Swayze.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2005 @ 9:46 AM

Hmmm....so the dvd version isn't chopped? Interesting.

Anyhow, I'll be re-watching the DVD a couple of times, before I return it to netflix. Just a warning, if you use the subtitle option, the subtitles don't match what they are saying 100% of the time. There are instances where they cut some of the dialogue out.

Jet Black

Jet Black

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 25, 2005 @ 1:59 AM

Hmmm....so the dvd version isn't chopped? Interesting.

The 4 episodes were each nearly 1 hour. So, I'm guessing that a good 12-15 minutes was edited out of each hour.

Armitage: Wow! Hot doesn't even begin to describe him. And that scene where he says "Look back! Look back at me!" <swoon> (Mr. Milz had to revive me). Thornton is my newest literary boyfriends.

His interview on Disc 2 shows how tasty he looks in real life.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2005 @ 8:54 AM

His interview on Disc 2 shows how tasty he looks in real life.

Yeah, I made sure I watched that.

I rewatched episode 4 last night. He's perfectly yummy.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 26, 2005 @ 8:18 PM

I watched the North & South DVD for the first time over the holiday and just adored it. I'm a bit surprised by how much I enjoyed it really. Most novel adaptations irk me in one way or another--ex-English major. Not so here. By the end, I didn't even care about the kiss in public's anachronism. For perspective though, I didn't care about the kiss in public at the end of Persuasion either.

The production had a photographic quality to it that I found gorgeous. I especially liked the scenes with stark visual contrast: Thorton's dark suit set against the clouds of white cotton, the snow-covered street behind the darkened doorway.

And yes, I too may have to join the Cult of Armitage. All hail erotic handshakes!

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2005 @ 9:33 AM

BBCA will be re-running all four parts of N&S on New Year's Day starting at 6 pm.

I got the DVD for Christmas, but I have only had time to watch the extras: deleted scenes (meh!) and the RA interview (verrrrry nice).

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2005 @ 11:09 AM

All hail erotic handshakes!

lol, he can erotically shake my hand any day (just don't tell Mr. Milz)

I think the series made Margaret a more likeable character than she's portrayed in the book.

My Dear Mr. Darcy,

I am leaving you for Mr. Thornton. Please forward my belongings to Marlborough Mills.

Thank you.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2005 @ 3:00 PM

I don't think I can abandon Mr. Darcy for Thornton just yet. Too longstanding of an attachment. <smile> Maybe after I've rewatched the North & South DVDs and taken in all the nuances.

Too bad BBCA isn't publicizing the re-airing more. I tend to pay attention to what's coming up on BBCA and haven't seen anything about it. Mile High ads every other minute of course...Oh, well. I'll be recommending the unedited DVDs anyway.

LadyC

LadyC

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 28, 2005 @ 7:02 AM

The production had a photographic quality to it that I found gorgeous. I especially liked the scenes with stark visual contrast: Thorton's dark suit set against the clouds of white cotton, the snow-covered street behind the darkened doorway.

That's what I loved too.

I think next to Pride and Prejudice this would have to be my favourite period drama.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2005 @ 3:34 PM

weyrbunny, when I read they had dramatised this novel, I read the novel. I had a really hard time finding it in my public library system, but it's a good thing Project Gutenberg is around!

I know some folks on other boards are disappointed that they changed somethings (like how Margaret was introduced to Thornton and the final scene), but those changes were tolerable, imo.

They did make Margaret a more likeable character in the book, she's a snob who doesn't like Thornton because 1. she doesn't like Milton because it wasn't like Helstone, 2. she doesn't like Milton because it wasn't like London, 3. she doesn't like Milton because it wasn't like Helstone or London, and 4. Thornton was representative of Milton. When I read the book, I kept thinking "boy, Thornton has it really bad for her to put up with all that!".

Mrs. Thornton's transfer from book to screen was very good. Fanny was too, although I didn't think she was as air-headed in the novel---spoiled, superficial and snobbish maybe, but not air-headed ("I can't imagine life without a piano"---d'uh girlfriend, don't you remember you and your family got by on your brother's 15 - 3 schillings a week?)

The ending was perfect, but I really would have wanted to see Mrs. Thornton flip out when Thornton brings Margaret home to stay. And now I have a strange desire to read "Tales of the Alhambra" by Washington Irving (just to see why Fanny was salivating over it.)

LadyC

LadyC

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 29, 2005 @ 7:27 AM

The ending was perfect, but I really would have wanted to see Mrs. Thornton flip out when Thornton brings Margaret home to stay. And now I have a strange desire to read "Tales of the Alhambra" by Washington Irving (just to see why Fanny was salivating over it.)

I agree.

I've watched the ending so many times. I love it the chemistry and the way Mr Thornton was looking at Margaret made me swoon.

I also liked the interaction between Mr Thornton and Henry Lennox when they were in London.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2005 @ 3:47 PM

the way Mr Thornton was looking at Margaret made me swoon.

Too true! He was smouldering!

kunju

kunju

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

I watched the whole thing on BBCA Sunday evening, but I didn't see my favorite scene from the book: the sugar-tongs scene. Is it on the DVD?

graybrown bird

graybrown bird

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2006 @ 10:36 PM

I watched the whole thing on BBCA Sunday evening, but I didn't see my favorite scene from the book: the sugar-tongs scene. Is it on the DVD?

I'm afraid not. The closest thing to it in the DVD is the scene where Thornton is gazing intensely at Margaret as she is pouring tea, and their hands touch as she gives him his cup.

I think the sugar-tongs scene in the book is the same one in which Thornton is mesmerized by watching Margaret repeatedly push a bracelet up her arm, where it "squeezes the soft flesh" (I think those were the words) before falling down to her wrist again. This is Victorian eroticism at its best, folks.

Uranium

Uranium

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2006 @ 1:10 AM

The DVD set finally arrived from Amazon today -- I've so far watched 3 episodes and the interview with Richard Armitage, and I'm in love with this.

I loved "Wives and Daughters," a good part due to Elizabeth Gaskell's wonderfully real characters -- nobody's unbelievably perfect or unredeemably wicked. Here, again, we have Margaret, who is a bit snobby and prone to prejudgment (and can be quite rude, like when she refused to shake Thornton's hand), and yet is loving to her family and plain-speaking and compassionate. I like her as our protagonist.

And Thornton! Oh, my, yes. Was there ever a man who looked at a woman the way he looks at Margaret? (Er, on screen, anyhow.) Oh, let me catch my breath for a second...

CarpingSlav

CarpingSlav

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2006 @ 6:28 AM

On the shallow front, he also appeared in the Ross Kemp show "Ultimate Force" on the ITV channel in the UK, playing a major (?) who had an affair with the wife of one of the soldiers. Scene where he came out of the bathrom in nothing but a towel. Very nice bod.

CalicoGinger13

CalicoGinger13

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2006 @ 9:51 AM

Scene where he came out of the bathrom in nothing but a towel. Very nice bod.

Why, yes. Rather nice it it was.

Edited by CalicoGinger13, Jan 4, 2006 @ 9:55 AM.