Actor: Robert Sean Leonard

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1760 replies to this topic

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

It might just be me but I have always found RSL to have a self deprecating attitude in interviews regarding his work on House. Except if one of the focal points concerns working with Hugh but even then he often mocked the heavy weight of Hugh's responsibility and needed dedication to the show as something he would never be capable of less he put a gun in his mouth or jump out a window. It's just his way of expressing himself. It's either amusing to some in an over the top way or its not.

I agree, but I did find a turn in his attitude in the Born Yesterday interviews. As you say, RSL -apart from his usual sarcastic responses- also had some self-deprecating element to them. But now, he's not just saying that House is not his most important or accomplished work. He's also saying that House is not really that important to him:

http://www.northjers..._the_stage.html

"I love 'House,' " the hit TV series in which he plays Dr. James Wilson.

He responds politely, but the compliment doesn't mean much to him.

There's nothing remotely self-deprecating in this, and these are comments that I had not seen from -or about- him before.

Edited by Hormyga, Apr 28, 2011 @ 9:15 PM.

ffn15

ffn15

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

"I love 'House,' " the hit TV series in which he plays Dr. James Wilson.

There's nothing remotely self-deprecating in this, and these are comments that I had not seen from -or about- him before.

I wonder if those were actually his words, or could they be the guy who wrote the article's words? If he actually said that... that's a little disappointing.

And he responds politely? How is responding "that makes one of us" when someone tells him they love him on the show polite?

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

And he responds politely? How is responding "that makes one of us" when someone tells him they love him on the show polite?

Ffn15, that's a quotation from an article from a New Jersey newsaper, recording the reporter's impression of his interview with RSL.

It's not a comment about your friend's experience with RSL in which s/he felt insulted by his flippant comment about House.

Two people can have different and equally valid impressions of someone.

Edited by QueenofCups, Apr 29, 2011 @ 12:04 AM.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 12:06 AM

I wonder if those were actually his words, or could they be the guy who wrote the article's words?

I'm sure this particular bit are the writer's words, but I don't think he is lying about RSL's appreciation. If we take this article by itself, we can think that maybe the writer got the wrong impression. If we take the "that makes one of us" reply to the House fan by itself, we could argue that some of us can take it the wrong way, or not get his dry humor. But if we take the two of them together, along with other interviews that have come recently, then a general picture is formed. As far as I know the North Jersey interview and this reply to the fan happened on different occasions; first, because I think the interview was earlier, and then because while "that makes one of us" is not really a rude remark, it's not really a polite response, either, so I don't think that it was this exchange what the North Jersey writer witnessed, but another. Which would mean that it's not the only awkward moment that has happened with a House fan at Born Yesterday's stage door. Adding all that up, I think RSL's fed-up with the show at the moment.

I don't think RSL is being rude with anyone. Only that he's not holding his tongue as much as -I think- he should, because this type of responses can come off the wrong way, giving them a meaning they don't really have.

ETA: But to kiss it better:

Free Robert Sean Leonard!!

If you sign up for the selected shorts newsletter, you'll get a very nice reading (and pic!) by RSL.

Edited by Hormyga, Apr 29, 2011 @ 11:10 PM.

dalilita

dalilita

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2011 @ 9:24 PM

RLS speaking in Spanish. (Warning: He´s impossibly cute!):

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Pretty good accent and intonation, I think.

Ixtab

Ixtab

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

I think his dad is a retired High School Spanish Teacher.

dalilita

dalilita

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 2:56 PM

RSL´s recent interview on Good Day NY:

http://housemdspot.b...day-ny-may.html

fortuneshine

fortuneshine

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 8:59 AM

NBC-lxnewyory
Interview with RSL re: Born Yesterday.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 4:56 PM

RLS speaking in Spanish. (Warning: He´s impossibly cute!):

Heh-hee. Baby, it's "no veas Grey's...", though I guess it does differ depending of the country you're in.

Yes, he is very cute in that clip. My favorite bit is when he says "¡Noooo! Es muy feo".

And thanks for the other interviews, he still looks awkward but way more at ease than in other interviews. So did I get it right, the guy in the "Good Day" one went to school with him?

dalilita

dalilita

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

Heh-hee. Baby, it's "no veas Grey's...", though I guess it does differ depending of the country you're in.

Yes, he is very cute in that clip. My favorite bit is when he says "¡Noooo! Es muy feo".

Haha, I really can´t decide which part I like most. I would love to see him in more videos like this. He can be so funny.

NBC-lxnewyory
Interview with RSL re: Born Yesterday.

So it´s "Robert Shawn Leonard", lol! Seems they didn´t do their homework.

Too bad I can´t access the video, a voice telling me that it´s currently unavailable (I don´t know if because of the country I live in).

Edited by dalilita, May 20, 2011 @ 9:25 PM.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

Too bad I can´t access the video, a voice telling me that it´s currently unavailable (I don´t know if because of the country I live in).

You're not the first one to have this problem and yes, I think it has to do that your the IP you're trying to watch the vid from is not from the US.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 12:30 AM

[url="http://"%20<a%20href="http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/655705/big-morning-buzz-live-may-20-2011-robert-sean-leonard-interview.jhtml""%20target="_blank">http://www.vh1.com/v...g-m...iew.jhtml"</a>"]New VH1 interview[/url]

Robert's new favorite slogan: "If you like Broadway and miss Nina Arianda in his play, you're CRAAAY-zy." But this time I just loved how he sing-songs. I wish that he said it like this every time. Unfortunately, this clip also can only be seen within the US.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 12:56 PM

RSL's co-star Nina Arianda is in the running for a Tony tonight in the best leading actress in a play category -NPR story.

Edited by QueenofCups, Jun 12, 2011 @ 2:31 PM.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 4:19 PM

Broadway: After Tony Awards, Born Yesterday May Be Gone Tomorrow

Tonight: the Tony Awards on CBS. Don’t miss ‘em. You’ll see the best of the past Broadway season. But once the parties and fun are over, get ready for closing notices. “Million Dollar Quartet” has already announced it’s closing today.

I’m told that the highly praised revival of “Born Yesterday,” with Jim Belushi, Robert Sean Leonard and breakout star Nina Arianda, is likely to be the first casualty. Producers have already discussed this with the cast, I’m told. The play took in only $216,000 last week.

fortuneshine

fortuneshine

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 7:56 PM

No closing notice up yet for Born Yesterday, though The House of Blue Leaves just announced it is closing June 25 after a 12 week run. That's four weeks earlier than the limited run was originally scheduled. With arguably bigger stars, (Ben Stiller, Edie Falco, Jennifer Jason Leigh) it goes to show just how tough it is for B'way plays to draw audiences, especially revivals; unless you're The Normal Heart.

Meanwhile here's a new article on the dynamic duo of Leonard and Belushi. :) The interviews took place after The Defenders was canceled and RSL re-signed with House; which he talks about.

Playbill Online June 16, 2011 Man from House meets a Defender

Edited by fortuneshine, Jun 16, 2011 @ 8:06 PM.

HyacinthBucket

HyacinthBucket

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 7:06 AM

Thank you for the lovely article, fortuneshine. The second page is nearly all RSL. I found this part particularly enjoyable:

"My friends call a role like Paul Verrall 'the third bow from the last' role. Sometimes you want to shine, and sometimes you don't mind too much if someone else does. You kinda wanna be the guy who has the third bow from the last. I've always wanted to play this particular role, even though it's not my favorite role in the play."

It seems like he is quite content to be "third bow from the last," even on House.

Could this man possibly be more adorable?

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

I thought his quote about Wilson's purpose on House was quite interesting:

"I'm the friend, the guy who worries about him and gives him advice that he doesn't listen to. It's sort of a television role. It doesn't happen in theatre, these guys. In fact, I don't even think it happens in real life."

Wilson used to have a life of his own - a marriage (which didn't last), relationships outside of and apart from his friendship with House (such as his exstremely ill-advised affair with Grace), interests (cooking, Hitchcock movies) and lots of secrets (Grace again, missing brother.) The character seems to be less dimensional now than he was in the first season. What depth he has comes from the actor, not from the writing.

Now, he exists only as an appendage to House. He's Ethel to House's Lucy - someone with no life of his own, who only exists in relation to the main character. His own life doesn't matter to him or interest him nearly as much as the lead's. I think it's a rather dated cliche and a sign of poor writing. Sidekicks shouldn't really be written as if they know they are sidekicks.

Like RSL's earlier comment about spending his time on House wrangling chickens, this seems to be a tactful and veiled way of venting his frustrations with the writing on House.

Edited by QueenofCups, Jun 17, 2011 @ 3:38 PM.

fortuneshine

fortuneshine

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 6:32 AM

On the bright side I suppose RSL can look at it as a chance to have real rest before heading back to the coal mines of House.
Playbill Online: Broadways-Born-Yesterday-Will-Close-June-26

So like House of Blue Leaves the show closes a month earlier than scheduled. Still it was great to have had RSL back "on the boards" and I hope his return next spring is already in the planning stages.

Doxa

Doxa

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 8:00 PM

Is there some new interviews with RSL (where he is cynical) about the new season ? Loved when he was mocking the chicken thing last year.

fortuneshine

fortuneshine

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

I've not seen or heard any interviews with RSL re. this season. Perhaps its too early yet for him to have a take on things. Not to mention with all those interviews he did in the summer for BY he may have had his fill of press for this year.

I've read one of the House writers has something interesting afoot for H/W coming up in E9; scheduled to air in January 2012. Maybe we'll hear from RSL on that when the time comes.

Edited by fortuneshine, Oct 23, 2011 @ 4:13 PM.

arachne

arachne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Caught a great, if limited performance from RSL in tonight's PBS American Experience segment:Into the Deep: America, Whaling and the World. RSL is the voice of Herman Melville narrating Moby Dick. There's a couple of tight close-ups of him; looks like he grew or obtained a small beard for the occasion.