Password, P'wd Plus, Super P'wd, Million $ P'wd, ad infinitum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

390 replies to this topic

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2005 @ 12:39 PM

This show has just freakin' intrigued me since GSN brought it back a few weeks ago... from the "stairs to nowhere" to that little slide projector in the big desk to some of the celebs who just don't quite get it (and I'm looking at you, Desi Arnaz, Jr.).

I will say that it was fun seeing McLean Stevenson (sp?) and the gal from Soap try to guess clues for "Malloy" recently.

bmasters9

bmasters9

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2006 @ 5:53 PM

There is a website devoted to Password Plus here:

http://www.password-plus.com

Make sure you check out the entire site, but especially the Multimedia section-- there are several video clips, and they are all from when Tom Kennedy hosted the show; he hosted it from Oct. 1980 until the end in March '82.

Hope you like it!

Edited by bmasters9, Jan 21, 2006 @ 6:07 PM.

Hoedogg

Hoedogg

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2006 @ 11:35 AM

I always enjoyed all of the editions of Password, including the old-school original version, although the bonus rounds in PP and the subsequent Super Password, hosted by the late, great Bert Convy, added a lot more excitement.

I'm not surprised to learn that Kennedy hosted at one time. I know it started out with Betty White's husband, Alan Ludden, as host, and then I'm pretty sure Bill Cullen took over after he passed away. So Kennedy must have been at least the third host. Good God, I know me some useless '80s game-show trivia.

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2006 @ 6:24 PM

The week airing on GSN this week is the end of the series... next week, presumably, they start back over at #1 (with Ludden at the helm).

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 2:14 PM

I'm not surprised to learn that Kennedy hosted at one time. I know it started out with Betty White's husband, Alan Ludden, as host, and then I'm pretty sure Bill Cullen took over after he passed away. So Kennedy must have been at least the third host. Good God, I know me some useless '80s game-show trivia.

Bill Cullen filled in for a couple of weeks during Allen Ludden's illness, then Ludden came back for a little while before he became too ill to continue. Tom Kennedy took over for good. Allen didn't pass away until after Kennedy took over.

I really like the theme music and the bonus round on Password Plus...but I was never a fan of the whole "Password Puzzle" thing...and I thought the set sucked!

OHNicki

OHNicki

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 12:23 PM

This is a show that I would love to see make a come-back. I used to love to watch the original Password after school and the reruns on GSN. It is a timeless show and could easily be redone today.

Rube Goldberg

Rube Goldberg

Couch Potato

• Interests:Pointing, Laughing, Bowling, Sacred Cow Tipping.<br /><br />Needlessly complicating things since 1983.

Posted Oct 11, 2007 @ 10:42 PM

Just found this on Yahoo:

A new version of the classic game show "Password" is coming to CBS with Regis Philbin as host and a big-money prize. The network said Thursday that it has ordered six episodes of "Million Dollar Password" and plans to show the program early next year.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

I still watch the reruns. I thought this show had a much better format than the later Super Password (I didn't like the Cash Word nor did I like all the mugging and interfering from Bert Convy), and Ludden was the perfect host. They also had a great mix of celebrities. The episodes where Betty White appeared after Ludden began to fall ill, and she received a standing ovation which reduced her to tears, they still choke me up.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2008 @ 2:30 PM

The episodes where Betty White appeared after Ludden began to fall ill, and she received a standing ovation which reduced her to tears, they still choke me up.

Oh, me too. I can't seem to stay with an entire episode without Allen there, but I always watch the first five minutes or so to see if there's a mention of how he's doing. Glad that GSN still shows AL-era PP on the weekends, but I wish we could also see the original Password.

A new version? With freakin' Regis Philbin?! Could not interest me less.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2008 @ 2:49 PM

I know what you mean. I don't care for Tom Kennedy, he's very weird and there was an episode which offended me where he seemed to be making fun of Bill Anderson for having a Southern accent. He's still an improvement on Bert (or Regis), but he's no Allen. I watch mostly for the celebrities.

What probably dates Password Plus the most, aside from the repeated mentions of the Iran hostage crisis (I don't even remember if that was resolved before Allen became ill), is that set. It's one of the ugliest sets I've seen on a game show, particularly the clue board.

No matter what, it's still one of my favorite game shows.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2008 @ 4:22 PM

I can't put my finger on what bugs me about Tom Kennedy, but there's something that's always vaguely annoyed me... I couldn't watch Body Language or his version of Name That Tune way back when either (although in the case of BL it's partially because that was one horrid show).

Bill Anderson seems like a genuinely sweet guy so I'm glad that I don't know the episode you mention, O2Sean. Even when Allen made it clear on one show that he heartily disliked Barbra Streisand, he had such a gentle manner about him that it -- almost -- didn't sound like a shot. Loved that.

Clark Grizwald

Clark Grizwald

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2008 @ 7:17 PM

There doesn't seem to be a thread devoted to "Super Passsword" with Burt Convey...or am I blind?? ! :) My favorite episodes of SP were when they had celebrity password with Betty White, Dick Martin, Lucy Ball and Carol Channing--I'm a total Betty White fan, so it was great seeing them all interact together. Although, after reading Burt Convey died a horrible painful death in 1991, I get sad each time I watch. Burt was a fabulous host...smooth and kind...

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2008 @ 12:50 PM

Betty White and Dick Martin were great players; Lucy seemed to be so out of it 50% of the time that she appeared not to care what she was doing (not surprisingly, she didn't make it to the bonus round the whole week); Carol was hamming it up way too much. But this combo is still 2 million percent smarter and better than two other all-star weeks that I had to endure: Olympic medalists on one week and Lainie Kazan, Dorian Harewood, Chad Everett, Jack Jones on another. Boy, talk about players who are not naturals and who have no clue how to play the game well (except Dwight Stones). Watching them playing so horrendously was as painful as giving birth without an epidural.

One change from Password Plus to Super Password that I do appreciate very much is that the latter show got rid of that pass or play option. It makes the flow of the show much smoother than before.

JessieQ

JessieQ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2008 @ 12:58 PM

I don't know whether it's Password or Password Plus, but I hated it when the clue-givers practically turned it into charades (like this morning's "labor"). Sometimes they got buzzed, but sometimes they didn't.

drjonah

drjonah

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2008 @ 6:59 PM

I liked Password + over Super Password. I liked the pass/play option as well as 'no opposites' rules because it really made you use strategy and think.

One thing that really stood out for me about Password was how 'gentlemanly' the host and male celebrities were (mostly). Like when a female contestant came on stage, the male celebrity stood up and Allen pulled her chair out. I don't think any other game show displayed that kind of chivalry.

And on the subject of Allen Ludden, it was so sad watching him slowly deteriorate on TV. When Password + first started he was so energetic and always ran up/down the steps. Then towards the end he slowly walked and didn't have that same 'spark' he always had even though he sure did his best to give 110%. I also liked how at the beginning of every show he either gave a warm welcome to the tv viewers or gave a 'Hi Doll' which I assume was his way of saying hi to Betty

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2008 @ 6:04 PM

I love this show! Password was a really cool idea, but I like how they tied together a bunch of words for a larger clue that the contestants had to figure out for this show, and the bonus "alphabetics" round is really cool. Plus, this is another one of those cool 70s game shows with excellent music.

Edited by jcpdiesel21, Jan 21, 2008 @ 6:04 PM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2008 @ 8:02 PM

he either gave a warm welcome to the tv viewers or gave a 'Hi Doll' which I assume was his way of saying hi to Betty

IIRC, it was his way of saying hi to Betty's mother, which is even more sweet.

JJJJShabado

JJJJShabado

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2008 @ 11:30 PM

Password Plus is in my daily rotation of taping game shows [What's My Line, I've Got a Secret, Trivia Trap, Now You See It, and Let's Make a Deal, and Tic Tac Dough. I had to prune out Merv Griffin's Crosswords for the overwhelment factor and the fact that it was getting to reruns.] I'm considering getting rid of Password Plus and it's solely because of Tom Kennedy. He is so bad in comparison to Allen Ludden. Allen was so so good at doing Password. This is not to necessarily trash Kennedy. I used to tape Body Language, and he was perfectly fine on that. This was Allen's game. I also have to echo the sentiments of O2Sean. He would not let up on Bill Anderson [whom I agree he was so genuine and always seemed like he's having fun. When they trot him on CMT countdowns, I will watch him, because I like him] not getting pitchfork as a puzzle. I can yell it's a damn pitchfork at the TV, but I'm not hosting. When Allen was ragging on you it never seemed malicious. With Tom, not so much. I also hated on Tom played along with the puzzle. When someone would guess [obviously] wrong, he would be the judge of it, and not go to the board. Allen would always ask, no matter how ridiculous it was. They at least had the good sense not to let him do a Password. That's Allen's and it would have been blasphemous.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 10:36 AM

I also hated on Tom played along with the puzzle. When someone would guess [obviously] wrong, he would be the judge of it, and not go to the board.

Oh, he did that with Voyager I in... was it yesterday's game? Someone had already guessed "Voyager II" earlier in the puzzle, and when the other side - correctly - guessed Voyager I, Kennedy was all scoffing "no, it's not... wait... oh, it IS!" Jackass.

drjonah

drjonah

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2008 @ 11:35 AM

IIRC, it was his way of saying hi to Betty's mother, which is even more sweet.

Man he was so in love with Betty and the feeling was mutual. From everything I've read she was so supportive and loving when he was battling cancer and during his last days. And if I'm not mistaken, she never remarried after Allen died

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 11:51 AM

Are we using this thread to discuss the new Password prime time show that Regis is hosting? I have a contestant audition tomorrow and I'm very excited about it.

butheircousins

butheircousins

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2008 @ 3:43 PM

Is there any airdate for the new Password? I thought when the writers strike was going on it would be rushed into production and aired in March or April, but I guess now it will be airing in the summer of July or August. Does anyone know or have any details?

lambertman

lambertman

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2008 @ 3:34 PM

Nope, no start date (or taping dates, even) have been announced yet.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2008 @ 5:36 PM

I believe the pilot episodes will be taped in March, but no idea when the series will begin to air.

Strega

Strega

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2008 @ 11:45 AM

Hi folks -- I just edited the title of the thread to cover all of the Password-related bases. If I'm making things more confusing instead of less, let me know! Thanks.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2008 @ 12:06 PM

The upcoming program is called Million Dollar Password.

Behemoth Bob

Behemoth Bob

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2008 @ 4:29 PM

GSN will be airing the final episodes of Super Password next week (if not the week after). Betty White will be one of the celebrity guest players.
The next day, they will start running the Super Password shows from the beginning (featuring a mop-topped Pat Sajak as a player.)

Triptik

Triptik

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2008 @ 4:42 PM

Betty White was an awesome player and always nice to her partners.

I always loved when the word was something like "contagious". They'd announce it in that hushed little tone on your tv. First guy looks at the word, looks at his partner and gives a very exaggerated, "con-taaaa-gious?" No matter how many times the person would say the actual word instead of a clue, it was always funny. Especially if it was a celebrity doing it. It always took them a beat, and then they'd realize what they'd just done.

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

• Interests:http://myspace.com/roxievelma<br />http://lifetimemovieaddikt.blogspot.com

Posted Mar 3, 2008 @ 4:59 PM

I always loved watching Marcia Wallace play the game for some reason. It seemed like you had a good chance of winning if you ended up with Marcia as your partner. Plus, she always looked like she was having a good time. Although, I think I'd would have wanted to be partners Judy Norton-Taylor from The Waltons because whatever episode I see her in, the contestant seems to make it and win the money.

Edited by RoxieVelma, Mar 3, 2008 @ 5:00 PM.

JJJJShabado

JJJJShabado

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2008 @ 6:34 PM

I always felt sorry for the contestants paired with Dick Martin. Even if they got to alphabetics, he would usually ramble off a clue.

Add Debra Lee Scott, Elaine Joyce, and Greg Morris to the people I would have wanted to play with.

As much as I love Gene Rayburn, he was awful. As much as I respect Lucille Ball, she was awful and slowed the show way the hell down.