Awards for House: "Shout BRAVO! at an annoyingly loud volume"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1818 replies to this topic

MaylynnCarter

MaylynnCarter

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 10:43 AM

House was a big winner at last night's People's Choice Awards:

"House M.D." beat out "Glee" in the TV category with three awards: favorite TV drama, favorite TV drama actor (Hugh Laurie) and favorite TV drama actress (Lisa Edelstein).

Not bad after all these years.

Drapers4thWife

Drapers4thWife

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 7:21 PM

Lisa Edelstein was the only one who showed up at the People's Choice Awards. Greg Yaitanes has already been caught in a lie on Twitter for stating that no one from the show showed up because the People's Choice Awards told House they wouldn't broadcast any of their wins (a lie because not only did Lisa Edelstein show up, but Hugh Laurie was a confirmed attendee only three days before the awards). In past years, Hugh and the entire cast has attended when notified that they won a People's Choice Awards (as all the winners are notified in advance).

No word on why no one except Lisa E. showed up, except that Hugh is currently in London, Jesse Spencer is in Australia and Omar Epps tweeted that he was at a party the night of the PCAs. Considering that the Television Critics Association press tour is this week, it will be interesting to see who in the cast shows up on Fox's day. A lot of tongues were wagging last year when Hugh didn't show up to represent House at the TCA event, the first time he's missed it. The official cause given was that he was sick, but then a couple of days he made a conspicuous public appearance looking pretty healthy at Emma Thompson's Walk of Fame ceremony.

lindabel

lindabel

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 11:35 AM

They were still announcing that Hugh was going to appear in the promos that were running the day of the awards. I didn't watch it but did switch back and forth during commercials. I thought I had missed Hugh's category and found out later that they didn't air it. Then I read somewhere that they only air the awards when the winner is present. Hugh won, but apparently wasn't there, so they did not show his category.

But I was very surprised that they would not air the most important tv category of Favorite Drama. So apparently not one person from the show except LE was there? No Shore, no Jacobs? Did the PCA decide not to air that award because Hugh wasn't going to be there? So therefore no one from the show bothered to show up?

Way to support their show and costar Edelstein. I'm very surprised that since Shore and Jacobs have been pushing the huddy thing on us and defending it to death they would be conspicuously absent from accepting a fan based award for this thing they've created.

lucy1984

lucy1984

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 1:27 PM

Greg Yaitanes has already been caught in a lie on Twitter for stating that no one from the show showed up because the People's Choice Awards told House they wouldn't broadcast any of their wins

I think a lot of people are confused about all of this. Personally, I don't mind who attends, but can it be GY actually lied in such a public format about the PCAs? (admittedly I believe he's misinformed people about other issues publicly) Wouldn't the PCA PR people have to contradict him, for their own sakes? As it is, it doesn't look good for them or CBS that they advertised that HL would be there and then he wasn't and no mention of his award was made at the event. I did watch the full event as he'd been advertised to appear, and if I'd known I would have switched off after Lisa (well done Lisa, by the way). It seems the PCAs fudged the possibility of his appearance for ratings?

If there was a last minute cancellation, surely there would have been a reason they could have given for his absence and even a video acceptance?

It's none of my business, but I would like to know why such big awards weren't covered, in a show full of fillery advertising and lame moments. My thoughts were conflict between CBS and FOX over how much time a fox show could have for acceptances, after which someone like GY got in a snit and ordered all the cast not to attend, or the simple fact this is an award show aimed at teens, and House and its actors were deemed a bit older and not 'cool' enough. If anyone knew the real reason, would love to hear it.

Edited by lucy1984, Jan 8, 2011 @ 1:29 PM.

Drapers4thWife

Drapers4thWife

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

Greg Yaitanes has been caught in blunders before and so I have no reason to believe that he was telling the truth about this, either. Hugh was a confirmed attendee, and if what GY said was true, then why wouldn't someone from the show have tweeted BEFORE the awards that the big bad PCAs weren't going to show Favorite Actor and Favorite Show, so they weren't going? And if it was a conscious decision everyone made "for the fans," as GY wrote, to boycott the PCAs, then did no one inform Lisa, or is GY saying that Lisa just didn't care?

What GY wrote makes no sense any way you look at it. The PCAs have always shown those awards, including last year when House won. They had no problems giving it to House and Hugh or giving airtime to a Fox show, so why would they suddenly care now? And if they did, then why weren't any of the other categories Fox won affected? Why show Lisa Edelstein's award and all the wins for Glee? The simple answer is that, when Hugh and the cast didn't show up, the PCAs cut those awards. That's what they've always done. And I don't believe GY's story that the cast made some conscious decision to boycott the show. The People's Choice Awards are a huge joke in the industry, and I believe that simply nobody from the cast cared enough about it to change their vacation plans to show up, except Lisa. And once fans started talking about it looking bad and ungrateful, that's when GY came up with his "boycott" story.

As for Hugh, a friend of mine is a television writer and said there has been gossip that HL has been dissatisfied with the show for the past year and is not getting along with Katie Jacobs. So he may have had no motivation to change his plans to attend such a minor show, or he just simply did not want to ruin his vacation time, like everyone else.

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 7:59 PM

If HL is unhappy with the course that House has taken over the past year, he's not the only one, though I doubt that boycotting the People's Choice Awards would be a very effective means of conveying his unhappiness. It seems likely that he just changed his mind about attending and decided he would rather extend his time with his family over the holidays rather than fly back for a not particularly prestigious or well-regarded awards show. A good choice, IMO, especially since HL probably doesn't get much time to see them with his workload and his commute.

Ranee

Ranee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 8:12 PM

As for Hugh, a friend of mine is a television writer and said there has been gossip that HL has been dissatisfied with the show for the past year and is not getting along with Katie Jacobs. So he may have had no motivation to change his plans to attend such a minor show, or he just simply did not want to ruin his vacation time, like everyone else.

Not only is it a minor award in the scheme of things, the awards were on the same night has his son's birthday. I'm skeptical that HL would confirm that he would fly from the UK for the PCA in the middle of hiatus & miss such a family event when he has little enough time with them as it is. Plus GY's line is directly contradicted by the interviews LE gave that the entire rest of the cast was out the country (where was OE's party though?).

Wouldn't the PCA PR people have to contradict him, for their own sakes?

Are they even aware of GY's comments? As far as I'm aware he's only made them on twitter.

statsgirl

statsgirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 9:35 PM

It's none of my business, but I would like to know why such big awards weren't covered, in a show full of fillery advertising and lame moments.

It's not one of the peer award shows like the Emmys, SAG and Golden Globes. People's Choice Awards is a show where it's the audience who votes and they can vote as many times as they want over a period of several weeks. LE sent out tweets asking fans to vote for her.

House won in the three major categories, Best Drama, Best Actress and Best Actor, in a year when the audience is the smallest it's ever been for the show since the early episodes of season 1.

As for Hugh, a friend of mine is a television writer and said there has been gossip that HL has been dissatisfied with the show for the past year and is not getting along with Katie Jacobs.

If anyone has the power to change the direction of the show it's the star and executive producer without whom there would be no show at all (unless they think Cuddy MD could carry it). I think the decisions to make Cuddy a co-star, limit Wilson to a Huddy pandarus, minimize Chase, get rid of Amber and Cameron, and concentrate on Foreman, Thirteen and Taub's marriage not to mention the whole Huddy storyline have been devastating for the show. But I have been disappointed not to see HL show any sign of thinking that way.

Edited by statsgirl, Jan 8, 2011 @ 9:39 PM.

Drapers4thWife

Drapers4thWife

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

But I have been disappointed not to see HL show any sign of thinking that way.

statsgirl, I'll reply in HL's thread since what I know isn't related to awards.

lindabel

lindabel

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 11:35 AM

Prior to the awards airing, I also read somewhere (maybe in tv guide?) or heard it on tv in a promo for the show that there was going to do a funny tribute to tv doctors. I didn't even know or remember that Favorite TV Doc was a category. But I made a mental note to remember to watch for that because they had to include Hugh/House in that.

Did anyone else hear or read this too?

Since Hugh was not present, perhaps they had to scrap airing this segment as well.

Was this being broadcast live? Did the tv audience see the same thing as the audience in the studio? Or did the studio audience see them announce all the categories that didn't make it to broadcast?

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

Perhaps HL is following the time-honoured labour practice of working to rule.

lucy1984

lucy1984

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

Are they even aware of GY's comments? As far as I'm aware he's only made them on twitter

I'm not really twitter literate so I may have misunderstood, but I read a tweet of his that blamed PCA and I think he used their twitter name (eg @PCA 2010, or whatever it is ) to do so. I kind of thought that when you do that, it'd public knowledge that you have said something about that particular person/ organisation, and they can see it on their page?

Also, I can only imagine some of the more, er, 'enthusiastic' members of fandom retweeting or adding to complaints directed at the PCA presence on twitter. From what I hear its caused uproar among some people.

For the record, totally agree that Hugh etc are right to take as much time as they can. It's more the PR side of what's been done here that interests me.

dalilita

dalilita

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 12:48 AM

LE sent out tweets asking fans to vote for her.

She did no such thing. You must have mistaken her account with that of one of her fans.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

House gets two Emmy nominations:
  • Outstanding Lead Actor - Hugh Laurie
  • Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour) - "Bombshells"
http://www.emmys.com...ms2011emmys.pdf

fortuneshine

fortuneshine

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 11:58 AM

House gets two Emmy nominations:

Hugh Laurie & Sound Mixing
That seems to say it all.

Interesting that Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad wasn't eligible this year due to a break in the show's schedule. While I'd like to say that allowed HL to get in despite the sub-sub-par material he had to deal with this season it more likely opened the door to Kyle Chandler of FNL for just the second time after many lauded seasons, and what will be FNL's last season, so good for him.

I would say the odds on favorite for Best Actor is Hamm it's his fourth straight nod and he will have to contend with an already announced break in MM's schedule this coming season so the timing for him is very good. HL I'm afraid may have to wait for whatever is ultimately House's last season and get a "lifetime" achievement award. If at all.

Edited by fortuneshine, Jul 14, 2011 @ 2:59 PM.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 2:36 PM

I can't say that House was "robbed". I think they just nominated HL out of habit because he wasn't given anything much to work with this season. If this was House's first season, he wouldn't have been nominated.

The writers didn't come up with good scripts and they focussed their entire season on Lisa Edelstein's character to the exclusion of everybody else. Lisa Edelstein doesn't have very much range as an actress. She's always been one of the weaker links as a performer. LE's never shown herself capable of showing any kind of emotional connection to anybody else, not even when the other actor is supposed to be her much-longer-for daughter or the man she has supposed been in love with for twenty years. She just seemed tired, pissed off, and condescending in a vaguely nannyish, "why must I suffer these idiots?" way. Not to say that similar one-note performances haven't received Emmys in the past, but usually only when coupled with really good scripts.

Now TPTB are paying for their bad choices with a lack of critical interest and lower ratings.

Edited by QueenofCups, Jul 14, 2011 @ 2:38 PM.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 6:54 PM

I think they just nominated HL out of habit because he wasn't given anything much to work with this season.

I wouldn't quite agree with this, because he still did a great job with what he was "given to work with," especially in the final 3 episodes -- The Fix, After Hours, and Moving On. As in the last few years, he probably has little chance of winning, because the newer shows and actors on those shows get more attention than something that's been on for 7 years, but I still think he really deserves this nomination, because what he does week in and week out is still amazing.

BlackGothicRose

BlackGothicRose

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 8:46 PM

Great news!

The Series House M.D. has just won an Emmy in the category Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)

House - Bombshells
FOX

Von Varga, Production Sound Mixer; Juan Cisneros, Production Sound Mixer; Joseph DeAngelis, Re-Recording Mixer; Brad North, Re-Recording Mixer

Source: http://www.emmys.com...s... (One Hour)

Now I hope that Hugh Laurie will win an Emmy, too. It's long overdue.

Edited by BlackGothicRose, Sep 10, 2011 @ 8:47 PM.

SinglePayer

SinglePayer

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 6:38 PM

Well the SAG noms and Golden Globe noms happened this week and no noms for House that I could see.

Is this the first time since Season 1 that they haven't had any nominations at all?