Ratings and Scheduling: Vital Signs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2247 replies to this topic

Britomart

Britomart

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 3:14 PM

So by their numbers, only 64.3% of all televisions were on at that time, with 10% of them tuned to House.

Okay, so how do they know 64.3% of all TVs are on at any given time? I assume it's from some sort of statistically relevant sample (or at least I *want* to believe that because otherwise there are people peering in my windows every night). But what/who/how are they sampling? And what's the margin of error for its accuracy?

amysusanne

amysusanne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 3:19 PM

Keep in mind those dates are tentative.

Hence the phrase "tentatively confirmed". :-)

Of course things could change between now and then, though I'm guessing that the 8/30 dates for the DVD set and the "House" premiere weren't, y'know, an accident.

unpossible

unpossible

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 3:25 PM

According to Ask Yahoo!:

"Nielsen, a pioneer in the field of media audience measurement, samples a cross-section of ab out 5,000 U.S. households to create the estimates the networks use. Nielsen installs special metering equipment on the TV sets of a small set of participating households; this viewer data is transferred directly to Nielsen's computers.

While a sample of 5,000 households may seem tiny for the purpose of calculating who's watching what, Nielsen's examples demonstrate a four-percent margin of error."

I also recall seeing articles regarding complaints that Nielsen doesn't accurately count minority viewing habits. A quick Google found this article.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, Screenwriting, Reading, Drama

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 6:32 PM

The guy's always a total dick about Arrested Development, but I can't entirely hate him because he's constantly pimping House

Word.

Anyway, I'm liking the ratings. 18th place for a rerun is very good. It gives me hope that the show will be on for a while, and that FOX won't see the need to do some "fixing".

lostdwarf

lostdwarf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 6:32 PM

But what I was wondering was whether NBC the network would or could pull some strings with the corporate office to get NBC the studio to give House to NBC the network.

I think I can answer this if you're okay with me using Buffy references. From what I understand is that NBC studio has a contract with Fox network to keep House first-runs exclusively theirs. Only until the contract is finished (and the re-negotiating begins) could NBC network out-bid Fox for House, if (please God) House lasts that long.

Okay, so I didn't end up using Buffy references at all. Huh.

labyrinth

labyrinth

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2005 @ 3:00 PM

the futon critic is now listing Cursed for July 5. For those who missed it, it the episode where all of Chase's 'daddy issues' come to the forefront.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2005 @ 7:23 PM

Yay! I've been wanting to see "Cursed" again.

Elizajoey

Elizajoey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2005 @ 12:24 AM

House is beginning in Australia on Channel Ten at 8.30pm on the 26th of June (this Sunday).

depressedtaurus

depressedtaurus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2005 @ 6:07 AM

It kinda sucks House is not on Chinese TV. I'm in China right now and I'm missing the reruns...also I have an uncle that is a surgeon at a hospital and I want him to watch it but I can't download it here b/c of the "Great Firewall of China".

I don't think House would survive on NBC. They already have ER and Scrubs as medical related programming, so I think that either ER, Scrubs, or House would die off (or maybe not). And MI was a bust, too...

House is pretty good on Fox anyway. I think that the switch to Mondays is okay, since my friend is a 24 and House fan, and he has a reason to keep his TV on, but it's going to be weird turning it on Mondays instead of Tuesdays...I got into the habit of turning the TV on Tuesdays for AI (my mother) and House (me).

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2005 @ 8:56 AM

I don't think House would survive on NBC. They already have ER and Scrubs as medical related programming, so I think that either ER, Scrubs, or House would die off (or maybe not).

I don't know if House would survive on NBC or not either, but I still think it's strange that it has found a home on Fox. Not to say everything on Fox is crap, but Fox has consistently had such a reputation for low-brow or fluffy stuff. I wonder if any networks other than NBC or Fox was offered the show? I could see House being on CBS and doing fairly well there.

amysusanne

amysusanne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2005 @ 2:31 PM

I don't know if House would survive on NBC or not either, but I still think it's strange that it has found a home on Fox. Not to say everything on Fox is crap, but Fox has consistently had such a reputation for low-brow or fluffy stuff.

I think that, given the way last season went, if "House" had shown up on NBC, it would have died quicker than "LAX". Even if they'd managed to make a go of it and renewed it, I still would have never felt as comfortable with it being there as I am with it being on FOX. I have no confidence in NBC whatsoever. That in itself is interesting because FOX has such an awesome track record for quickly cancelling not only very, very good shows, but also shows that I really, really love. So, that this show managed to show up on the FOX schedule *and* managed to keep them happy until the post-AI ratings kicked in is really shocking.

FOX has such a good record for greenlighting smart, interesting shows and has an even better record for cancelling those shows quickly and filling the slots with "World'sScariestEverything!" specials.

I wonder if any networks other than NBC or Fox was offered the show? I could see House being on CBS and doing fairly well there.

I know that we just saw the article where David said that it was promised to FOX before the NBCUni merger, but didn't he also say recently that multiple networks bid on it?

Edited by amysusanne, Jun 20, 2005 @ 2:35 PM.

Kulfi

Kulfi

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 12:02 PM

Does anyone know what eps they are re-running through to the S2 premiere?

Meems

Meems

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 2:16 PM

All I know is the next two: "Detox" on 6/28 and "Histories" on 7/5.

labyrinth

labyrinth

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 2:42 PM

The Futon Critic still has "Cursed" listed for 7/5. Is "Histories" listed on the Fox site or somewhere else?

Meems

Meems

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 3:18 PM

Hmm. My tivo listings had "Histories" for 7/5, but my tivo is also often wrong, so it could certainly be "Cursed" that airs on 7/5.

bewarne

bewarne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 9:37 PM

This is from Fox's site as of this minute:

"Cursed” episode of HOUSE Tuesday, July 5 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Heard this evening that Bush has chosen to address the nation on Tuesday night. Anyone know if that will interfere with "House"?

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 9:52 PM

"It better not.

lostdwarf

lostdwarf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 10:04 PM

Like he needs more reasons for Americans to hate him.

MsJ

MsJ

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 10:10 PM

I wish people wouldn't make politcal remarks on this board. I come here to get away from such stuff. I get enough of the real world everyplace else. Usually, the president speaks at 8 pm eastern, so he won't be the one knocking House off the air. However, the Democrats' or the news reporters' "blah, blah, blah" just might.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Jun 24, 2005 @ 10:14 PM

" Word. No matter your political views, about half the country is the opposite. I don't get upset about such banter, but I've seen it get really heated on other forums and it wasn't pretty.

Regardless, I think House will either be delayed or not shown in it's entirety (you know how they sometimes break in where the program would be if it did start on time).

bewarne

bewarne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 9:26 AM

Just thought everyone and their TiVOs and other recording devices should be prepared. 8 pm Eastern will throw off the entire night's schedule.

lostdwarf

lostdwarf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 3:23 PM

Oops, sorry, I was just making a (bad) joke.

mujer

mujer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 3:46 PM

Just thought everyone and their TiVOs and other recording devices should be prepared. 8 pm Eastern will throw off the entire night's schedule.

Kids, I think this week's House isn't going to happen. Or at best, we'll get to watch a half-hour of it. Doubtful, though. Get out your hankies. Now.

lostdwarf, fret not. I'm still learning about things to say and not to say. And I still haven't gotten it right. :-)

And if this episode doesn't show, I'm going to bum! I have not seen "Detox!" ARGH!!

Edited by mujer, Jun 25, 2005 @ 4:04 PM.

Meems

Meems

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 3:48 PM

...And big surprise, my Tivo was wrong: it has corrected itself, and now lists "Cursed" on 7/5. Sorry about the confusion!

lostdwarf

lostdwarf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 3:56 PM

Well, hopefully, they won't pre-empt Canadian tv. I think it's playing on CTV on Monday.

And thanks mujer, I feel better. I didn't want to start anything on the boards and then I noticed that bewarne thought it was her. So, sorry bewarne.

bewarne

bewarne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 5:48 PM

Actually, I didn't think it was me but did think I sort of started it. But I wasn't taking it personally.

Edited by bewarne, Jun 25, 2005 @ 5:49 PM.

mujer

mujer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 6:17 PM

Actually, I didn't think it was me but did think I sort of started it.

You always start things bewarne. You know it. ;-)

bewarne

bewarne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 8:03 PM

"Nice."

Elen

Elen

Stalker

• Interests:Reading, sleeping, hanging out out with friends, nature, music, the usual.<br /><br />TV-wise, I'm a BIG fan of House, Scrubs, and The Office, and I've been known to watch a little ER and Law &amp; Order.

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 9:23 PM

Dear President Bush:
Hi, it's me, Elen! Remember? My parents were two of your supporters? Well, I was just writing to tell you that your speech is scheduled the same night as 'House', the episode 'Detox', to be specific. Unfortunate, huh? I just wanted to warn you that if your speech cuts into even one precious minute of this as of now unseen episode, there will be problems. Big ones. As in, I know where you live, and no men with guns can withstand my 'House'-induced wrath. JUst sayin'. Have a nice night, and remember: Brief is kind.

Love,
Elen

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 11:09 PM

It's my fault. Once upon a time, Bush cut into The OC and I openly stated that at least it wasn't Tuesday. It's obvious he's doing this to punish me for calling him Shrub.

Kidding! Only kidding! I hope. Otherwise, all rotten fruits and/or vegetables can be thrown at my profile page.

Edited by DumbBrunette, Jun 25, 2005 @ 11:10 PM.