Dr. Gregory House

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3706 replies to this topic

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 8:43 PM

I love this man. Hugh Laurie was the whole reason I signed onto the show (okay, I'll admit, he was enough to get me here, but the names "Bryan Singer" and "Robert Sean Leonard" also had a lot to do with it).

He's quite simply one of the most refreshing characters on TV. He's allowed to get away with things other shows would never dream of letting the hero do, and he never changes.

Okay, maybe he does change, a little. But not enough to stop the snark.

Love, love, love. So long as he remains damaged and snarkful, House will be my favorite TV character evah.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:37 PM

What??? Not a flood of posts here??? After all the House love and crushes in the single-thread?

Those eyes, that snark, the cane twirling, the brilliant mind, the good music, and need I say more than black t-shirt, jeans and a piano?

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, Screenwriting, Reading, Drama

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:42 PM

Where are my fellow members of The Hugh Laurie Estrogen Brigade, I ask you?

Britomart

Britomart

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:52 PM

It is odd, isn't it? Wilson already has 3 times the number of posts (she mumbled guiltily).

I think it's just that my love of House and all things HL is too profound to put into words. Erm, yeah. That's it.

KatherineO

KatherineO

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:55 PM

*waves arms*

I'm here! I'm here! Hugh Laurie is dreamy. And I say that with extreme self consciousness, being a twenty-something woman who usually falls for boy-men types. Although I can never say say no to lanky, blue eyed snarkmeisters, even if they are old enough to be my father. Sigh.

In my dream world, me and House sit around taking prescription medicine, being sarcastic, snarking on television, and spawning brilliant blue eyed morally relativistic children.

Countbeans

Countbeans

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:57 PM

I'd like to repeat my complaint about not finding the HL TV Guide cover anywhere in the greater metropolitan Phoenix area. I have sweated off 20 pounds driving all over town looking for the damn thing. Which is a good thing, cuz' I really needed to drop the pounds. But I digress...

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:59 PM

I was lucky to get my House cover early, but I did flip through the shelves in a couple of aisles at my local grocery store yesterday and surprise, surprise, not one HL cover. It was all Gary Dourdan, Patrick Dempsey, and Josh Holloway. TV Guide obviously paid no attention to it's own Sexiest TV Doctor online poll when printing the covers, as House won that pretty easily.

Countbeans

Countbeans

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:08 PM

I slogged through every copy of every TV Guide in every grocery store, drugstore, convenience store and pawn shop in town. Patrick Dempsey every damn where. HL nowhere to be found. Maybe the desert heat was too much for HL's sensitive English skin.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:09 PM

I guess it's a slow night for the HLEB. Soon, all the HL and House love will be overflowing I'm sure. I signed onto this show for him of course. I've always been a fan, and I'm so glad he's starting to get the recognition he deserves. He better get Emmy an nod and win, and Globe wouldn't be too shabby either.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:35 PM

Maybe this will help spark the conversation.

http://i15.photobuck...1/hughintee.jpg

http://i15.photobuck...arian1/hugh.jpg

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:37 PM

How about the Motley Crue picture?

I so want to see House rocking to "Girls Girls Girls" just as a shout out to this.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:40 PM

I haven't found that, but I do have this.

http://i15.photobuck...1/black_tee.jpg

KatherineO

KatherineO

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:57 PM

*blinks*

*swoons*

And ya know....the mad acting skillz and all and...oh my.

*runs away before she can make a further fool of herself*

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 11:08 PM

Yeah, that talent thing gets me every time. And those incredible blue eyes certainly don't hurt!

Enigmatics

Enigmatics

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 11:34 PM

I had never seen HL in anything (that I can remember at least) prior to House, but it only took me one episode to fall in love with him.

Kiss My Grits

Kiss My Grits

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 11:38 PM

He is a great, fantastic actor.

But since I'm very shallow the thing that has taken my breath away more than anything is when they sometimes have a shot of him and his eyes are the most amazing, electric blue. They are just an unreal color that make me very happy.

halo_pub

halo_pub

Couch Potato

• Interests:Halopub on previously dot tv.

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 11:43 PM

Now that we've gotten the kind TWOP management team to cave into our demands, someone's got to tell Hugh about the site. I read that he got disturbed by the early online reaction (and viewer obsessiveness with their departures from medical reality)...but besides the understandable fangirl behavior (myself included) we've got plenty of erudite discussion here too!

mujer

mujer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:19 AM

What??? Not a flood of posts here??? After all the House love and crushes in the single-thread?

Where are my fellow members of The Hugh Laurie Estrogen Brigade, I ask you?

Well, I'm finally here. Honestly, before "House" I had never heard of Hugh Laurie. Not a damn thing. The only Hugh I knew of was Grant. And the only things English I knew of were The Beatles, The Stones, Zepplin, The Royal Family, Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair and Austin Powers. Thank you "American Idol" (Lord, I hate acknowledging them because it means I have to own up to being an AI watcher) for introducing me to "House," but specifically for introducing me to the amazing talent of Hugh Laurie. I have not felt this freakin’ giddy over a fictional TV character or actor since … I don’t know when.

Then to find out (in “real life”) he’s self-deprecating, shy and multi-talented -- add this to his looks (yes, Hugh, you have them. Accept it.), talent, brains, wit -– he is the entire package. I’m so grateful I “happened” upon HL and this amazing show!

Edited by mujer, Jun 10, 2005 @ 8:18 AM.

Dirce

Dirce

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:40 AM

And now, my responses to the three previous pictures:
Oh my.
Ohh my!
Oh myyyy!

My roomate is British and she has a copy of Maybe Baby on DVD. The British version. *insert heavy breathing* I'd like to join The Hugh Laurie Estrogen Brigade, please, before I die from lust.

Sadly, said roomate called dibs on him long ago. About 10 years. But I am an understudy...

JoHL

JoHL

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:55 AM

I shudder to admit that I *hated* him in Blackadder. I thought, 'Oh lovely, an Upper-class English twit playing what he thinks is an Upper-class English twit.' He reminded me of Graham Chapman's 'Upper-class English Twit of the Year'.

Peter's Friends really turned me around, & I thought he was sexy in a sweet, vulnerable way.

When I saw the previews for House, my cold, cynical heart turned into a Fangirling Squee Sponge. This is *so* unlike me; I couldn't believe I was watching FOX, either.

Not only that, but I'd never seen RSL. Now I have another squee subject. HoYay!

harvey the penguin

harvey the penguin

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 1:16 AM

After falling in lurve with HL after watching House, I finally rented Jeeves and Wooster from Netflix. My Hugh love now knows no bounds.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 1:38 AM

Scene: My apartment; sometime last year; reading fall previews; hoping nothing would interest me so Arrested Development would remain the only appointment show, opening up my schedule considerably.

House Preview: It's CSI meets ER.
Me: Lame. Looks like I'm home free.
House Preview: Starring Hugh Laurie.
Me: Fuck. Must watch.

Hugh Laurie brought me to the party and he's what keeps me here. I can't imagine anyone else in the role. I first saw Hugh in Jeeves and Wooster but I think my favorite role of his, pre-House, was as Prince George. He's so good at making even the most self-absorbed nitwit sympathetic that I was actually saddened by his fate at the end of Blackadder: The Third.

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 2:41 AM

I first saw Hugh Laurie as Mr. Palmer in Sense and Sensibility and he made me love the characters with one line, "We all know where she went." It didn't surprise me when I picked up the book and saw the Mr. Palmer was barely a character at all, only confirmed my belief in HL's acting abilities.

Thing is, I don't usually watch Fox, so I didn't know House was on until more than halfway into the season! Guess it's DVDs for me when they come out.

Photo Geek

Photo Geek

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 7:59 AM

Yeah, that talent thing gets me every time. And those incredible blue eyes certainly don't hurt!

I'll second that emotion. I see aquarian1 and I have all-around similar tastes in tasty men!

:wavewavewave:

Edited by Photo Geek, Jun 10, 2005 @ 7:59 AM.

abcddee

abcddee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 9:39 AM

I first saw Hugh Laurie as Mr. Palmer in Sense and Sensibility and he made me love the characters with one line, "We all know where she went."

This is when I jumped on board the Hugh Laurie love train. I saw a one sentence blurb about this show in a magazine last summer, something like "Hugh Laurie stars in House, MD in the fall" and I patiently scoured the tv listings each week after until it finally appeared.

Adieu

Adieu

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 10:25 AM

I'm just so proud of Hugh right now. I've been a fan for a long time, and marked House on my calendar, thinking it would be around for six episodes or so and get canned just like John Hannah's medical drama. But the fact that the show has just exploded, and Hugh has gone above and beyond what I expected, possibly into Emmy-land... wow!

Congratulations, Hugh - America has finally discovered your godlike powers in the areas of Acting, Snark, and Being All Sexy-Like.

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:24 PM

aquarian1, thanks for spreading the trail of breadcrumbs to lead me here. I would never have guessed from the thread title that this was the I Love the Lovely Hugh Laurie thread. But now another member of the Hugh Laurie Estrogen Brigade (low estrogen division) checks in. ;-)

The library finally came through with a copy of A Bit of Fry and Laurie, so I watched that for the first time last night. And then I watched it for a second time. Are these 2 episodes the only ones on video?

Namaste

Namaste

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:39 PM

I've tried to think of where I first saw Hugh Laurie. Probably "Jeeves & Wooster," but it seemed like I would see him all the time. I'd be watching "Friends," and it's Hey, there's Hugh Laurie. Or "Sense & Sensibility," or "Peter's Friends" ... so tuning in to "House" was a no brainer for me. And I was even one of the lucky ones to get the DVD in advance of the premiere, so yay me.

Since I was aware of him for so long, it struck me as odd that so many people hadn't heard of him previously.

Of course, even having been familiar with -- and appreciative of -- his work for so long, I've been blown away by his work on "House." Never knew he had it in him, but thank goodness David Shore et al figured it out.

Oh, and LogCabinPat, there are about 20 episodes -- six episodes per season, four seasons. It's just that they're hard to come by in the U.S.

Edited by Namaste, Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:39 PM.

Lunete

Lunete

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 1:03 PM

Blackadder can be hard to find on television (although I think you can catch them on PBS sometimes if you're lucky) but they're easy enough to order. Amazon has them, but they're cheaper here.

if you're going to rent them, my recommendation would be to start with the Elizabethan ones (I forget if that's season 1 or 2.) heh. "I shall return and wreak my rewengey!"

Edited by Lunete, Jun 10, 2005 @ 1:08 PM.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 1:14 PM

I'm confused. Is this the Greg House or the Hugh Laurie thread? BTW, even though his work in Blackadder II was choice, HL was only in one ep ("Chains"). Go for Blackadder III first, since he's in all six eps as the dimwitted Prince Regent.

Edited by cjl, Jun 10, 2005 @ 1:18 PM.