James Wilson

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2758 replies to this topic

Sarah1281

Sarah1281

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2009 @ 1:59 PM

I guess I didn't notice it after they finally got back together in Birthmarks, but House and Wilson's friendship really isn't the same, is it? I really couldn't believe that Cuddy had to DRAG Wilson over to talk to House about Kutner's suicide. Usually Wilson relishes the chance to be there for House and given that Kutner was House's fellow who he had been neglecting in favor of the more 'interesting' members of his team and House's inability to handle things that don't make sense to him, he really needed a friend.

Wilson, on the other hand, yelled at Cuddy for making him be there for his best friend in his hour of need (more so than usual anyway) and half-heartedly showed up to tell House they were just going to get drunk, then freaked when House started trying to solve the mystery of Kutner's death, which has been his MO for years. It's like Wilson doesn't even get House anymore. What gives? Is it still Amber and Wilson's fear of getting too involved in House's cycle of self-destruction?

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2009 @ 6:50 PM

It's like Wilson doesn't even get House anymore. What gives? Is it still Amber and Wilson's fear of getting too involved in House's cycle of self-destruction?

Been wondering this as well. I'm thinking that it has to do with Wilson's own pain (when Cuddy came and talked to him about House, he said ,"I can't deal with this and House too," or something like that), and that somehow, he "blames" House for both deaths. I still don't buy that he completely absolved House over Amber's death, and Kutner's death seems to have rattled him again. Just the look on his face when they walked into Kutner's room and he saw the blood stain on the floor and sheet was telling. If you squint really hard, it was almost like he was having a sort of flash-back/bad memory thing going on.

Willowbrook

Willowbrook

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2009 @ 11:31 AM

No matter how much you love someone, being a caregiver can be exhausting, especially when you are in pain yourself. I don't think Wilson was hesitant to see House because he cares less about House. I think he just wanted someone to worry about him and take care of him for a change, and he realized that Cuddy's main concern was House.

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Nov 5, 2009 @ 2:03 AM

Last season, WIlson devoted so much time to encouraging House's flirtation with Cuddy. It seemed kind of odd to me - that Wilson should suddenly develop this strange and obsessive interest in bringing them together, as if, having temporarily foresworn sex in his own life while he was grieving Amber, he was living vicariously through House. (Icky!)

Willowbrook's point about Wilson's withdrawal from their friendship really hit home for me though. It fits in with what we saw in the last episode of last season. Wilson wanted to continue to be House's friend, but he was too emotionally exhausted to bear the heavy burden of being House's friend alone. He was trying to shift some of that burden to Cuddy. (It didn't work of course. Cuddy sent House to Wilson when it became apparent how ill he was, and Wilson was responsible both for taking House to the hospital and putting him up afterwards.)

I think Wilson is still depressed, and the only way he knows to escape depression is to fall in love again. He's reliving his times with Amber, because that was the last time he actually felt good. He doesn't know how to get better on his own, without the biochemical euphoria of a new romance.

H0useofChicN

H0useofChicN

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2010 @ 3:16 PM

Bringing this over from the Episode thread as it was kind of of a stream of conscious pondering that may have been off topic.

Wilson going after Nora piqued my curiosity about Wilson's preception of himself. Why would Wilson think any woman would want to be in serious relationship with him? And I do mean serious, because he seemed particularly upset that House just wanted to have sex with Nora. Thrice divorced. Sharing a (permenant?) home with House. House who isn't easy to get along with and who isn't willing to share. Who's going to willing come into that?

I know Wilson is a serial relationshipper, I was gonna say serial monogomist, but I think canon and House has debunked that. He's happiest in a relationship and being shacked up with them. I think he was able to move on from Amber just by having the compaionship of House in his home. Moved, he started looking for love almost immediately. If he and Nora, well maybe not Nora as she had a condo, had actually progressed, I could see him wanting a move in and pushing House out or leaving House in the magnificent (so, jealous) loft by himself.

I'm glad Wilson isn't pining and is moving on with his life and the new apartment was a nice start, but on reflection after this episode I couldn't help but think that he needed to spend a stint in rehab to face his addiction, so to speak.

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Jan 12, 2010 @ 4:20 PM

Wilson does have a fair amount to offer. He's attractive and he has a six-figure income. He's on fairly good terms with all his ex-wives which may mitigate in a small way his dismal marital history. He listens. Anyone his age in the dating market is going to have a few drawbacks, such as resentful potential step-children or vengeful ex-wives. His intense friendship with House may seem (at least initially) a manageable problem.

Wilson himself would tend to minimize the problem that House presents. I think that Wilson's views when it come to relationships tend to err on the optimistic side. He really thinks that happiness comes in pairs; hence his eagerness to encourage House to take a chance on romance with Cameron, Stacy, Cuddy, Cate and virtually any other female who walks through the door.

This is the first time on the show that Wilson has ever lived in his own apartment. Before he was living with his wife in a home she probably chose and furnished given his schedule as a doctor, then in a hotel, then in Grace's house, then back to a hotel, and then with Amber. He's always moved in with his girlfriends and made himself part of their lives. I think that this move is a really postive step for him. I hope that it means that he has accepted that he needs make a life for himself instead of just waiting around for the next Ms. Perfect to let him share hers.

Of course, Wilson is still only taking "baby steps", since he's is still looking for a potential girlfriend/wife to make him happy. He only knew Nora from a brief conversation in a hallway and was already planning a potential relationship.

I think having House around will help Wilson in overcoming his Amber obsession and moving on with his life. He needs someone to look after and to keep him company. He seems to get depressed and make very bad decisions when he's not in a relationship.

I think House might be able to handle Wilson in a relationship, as long as House came first. Finding a woman who would be willing to accept a relationship where she comes in second to her husband's best friend might be a little more difficult.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2010 @ 2:54 PM

Eight TV Characters Who Should be Dads

James Wilson of 'House' -- Here's the one reason why Dr. James Wilson would be a perfect father: he's currently dealing with a delinquent child in the form of Doctor Gregory House. Like a father talking to his troubled son, Wilson can be patient, reasonable and, where needed, stern and angry. While House tends to ignore Wilson in these moments, as children do with their parents, sometimes the messages get through. So, if this can work on a middle-aged doctor it should work even better on a little boy or girl.

HyacinthBucket

HyacinthBucket

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2010 @ 4:36 PM

So how do we choose which one of us will carry Wilson's child? I responded first.

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 1:33 PM

I think Wilson would make a good dad. He has a lot of love to give. I think the whole "wanting a baby" plotline would have made a lot more sense with Wilson than with Cuddy. Wilson seems to have a much greater desire for a family than Cuddy, considering that he keeps trying marrriage over and over again. He's clinging to a vision of white picket fence happiness which continually eludes him. With Cuddy, her baby fever just feels like the old t.v. cliche: any career woman over thirty must be in want of a baby.

Gemini36

Gemini36

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 6:18 PM

I'd love to see Wilson in happy/committed relationship with someone caring, who makes it about him and not House. Sam just doesn't do it for me, and although I liked Amber a lot, most of the time she seemed more keen on getting back at House, rather than being with Wilson.

I know Wilson's had a lot of problems with cheating, but I think all of that would be in the past if he found someone that he actually wanted to make it work with.

Edit - Or I'd even just like to see him with a real friend (other than House). It's really sad, I've always felt like apart from House, the only person that actually cared about Wilson was Cameron, and she's gone now. He was never shown to bond with any of the other characters. There was Cuddy, but Wilson seemed to jump between being her confidant and rival, depending on who was writing the episode. At the beginning I saw Cuddy as a friend to Wilson, but as time went by I realized that all she really cared about was how we was connected to House.

I found it really worrying how badly the writers disregarded House and Wilson's relationship in the last few episodes. Wilson kicking House out of the apartment was the prime example. I have a feeling House and Wilson's relationship is going to be pushed into the background next season while Huddy is at the forefront, and that Wilson will only get a call-up when House and/or Cuddy need relationship guidance.

I also have a feeling that Sam was only introduced as a way of keeping Wilson "busy" while they explore Huddy. Wilson is my favorite character, and I hope that they develop his relationship with the rest of the cast next season, because watching him shack up with Sam, and play Dr. Phil for House and Cuddy just wont interest me.

Edited by Gemini36, Jun 22, 2010 @ 5:34 AM.

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 1:50 PM

There was Cuddy, but Wilson seemed to jump between being her confidant and rival, depending on who was writing the episode. At the beginning I saw Cuddy as a friend to Wilson, but as time went by I realized that all she really cared about was how we was connected to House

Cuddy is not Wilson's friend. She's like the POTW in "Wilson", someone who calls herself Wilson's friend in order to manipulate him. Cuddy uses him as a conduit to House, who is her neurotic sexual obsession. She doesn't care about Wilson for himself, neither as a person nor as a colleague. Wilson has been very supportive of Cuddy. For example, he tried to boost Cuddy's maternal confidence when she was concerned about her failure to bond with Rachel. However, I can't think of a single instance of Cuddy ever trying to support Wilson. She left Wilson to twist in the wind during the Tritter arc. She only stepped in (by committing perjury!) when House himself was threatened. She never visited Wilson or offered any emotional support when he was grieving after Amber's death. Their "friendship" is entirely one-sided: Cuddy takes and Wilson gives. (In that way, it's a typical manager/subordinate relationship; it's only a friendship when the boss needs a favour.)

I also have a feeling that Sam was only introduced as a way of keeping Wilson "busy" while they explore Huddy. Wilson is my favorite character, and I hope that they develop his relationship with the rest of the cast next season, because watching him shack up with Sam, and play Dr. Phil for House and Cuddy just wont interest me.

I agree with you. The relationship between Sam and Wilson isn't interesting of itself. The actress playing Sam is lifeless and there's no spark between her and RSL. It just seems like a pallid retread of the Amber storyline that doesn't say anything new about Wilson or about House's friendship with Wilson. It just seems like an easy device to put Wilson on the sidelines while Cuddy takes over.

Edited by Evilida, Jun 23, 2010 @ 3:03 PM.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 1:16 AM

From the Romance thread...

I for one can see the friendship between House and Wilson. I know it's an unconventional friendship, but it's there. They don't need to tell us that it's there like they do with House and Cuddy's relationship...it's just there.

I see that, too, even if the writers denied this in the last episode of season six. I mean, I can certainly understand why Wilson would think having House living with him indefinitely would have a negative effect in his relationship, even if -as he had to admit himself- his decision to ask House to leave was too rushed. And yes, I think House and Cuddy's "connection from college" was something the producers got out of their asses in order to speed up the House/Cuddy ship in canon.

But what the hell!! happened to Wilson in the season finale?! He's supposed to be House's best friend. He must have found out at some point about House's patient and her leg stuck under the debris, with a high risk of having to have it amputated, and he didn't bother to show up at the site, at least to ask House A) how was he doing and B)if there was anything he could do to help. It was obvious that he had already gone home when House's ambulance arrived to the hospital, since only Foreman was still there to help House and then try to talk to him, because Wilson was nowhere in sight. So Wilson, what? Just went home at the end of the day for dinner with Sam? No talking to House about treading a dangerous path with a patient that was too close to home for him? When House is just recovering from an ugly drug addiction? It was nice of Cuddy to show up at House's to talk to him at the end of the day, but I felt like I was ripped off by the end of this episode. You can't have an episode like Wilson, where House shows Wilson how important he is for House and Wilson shows his support for House, and then have this season finale, where Wilson doesn't seem to give a damn.

It was a very good episode for House as a character, but I really think that it should have been Wilson in House's apartment in that last scene, not Cuddy. If they wanted to push House/Cuddy so much, they could have found a scene for them before, but not in that scene.

Edited by Hormyga, Jul 5, 2010 @ 1:36 AM.

Gemini36

Gemini36

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 1:36 AM

But what the hell!! happened to Wilson in the season finale?! He's supposed to be House's best friend. He must have found out at some point about House's patient and her leg stuck under the debris, with a high risk of having to have it amputated, and he didn't bother to show up to the site at least to ask House A) how was he doing and B)if there was anything he could do to help. He, what? Just went home at the end of the day for dinner with Sam? No talking to House about treading dangerous waters with a patient that was too close to home for him? When House is just recovering from an ugly drug addiction? It was nice of Cuddy to show up at House's to talk to him at the end of the day, but I felt like I was ripped off by the end of this episode.

Oh yeah, that really bugged me too. From everything we've seen and learnt about House and Wilson's friendship from the beginning of the show, Wilson should have been there. I just felt like it was a very lazy way to get Wilson out of the way so that they could put in that House/Cuddy scene. And it's just silly, because from we've seen from Wilson and Cuddy when House is in trouble, Wilson always goes to support him, while Cuddy backs away and leaves Wilson to handle it. Not even just Wilson. In "Merry Little Christmas" for example, when Cuddy went to House's apartment and saw the state that he was in, instead of trying to help him herself, she just went and got Cameron and sent her in.

It was just sloppy writing all around. From what we've seen of their characters, Wilson would have been there, Cuddy wouldn't have. I guess though characterization needs to be pushed aside so we can have another "great" House/Cuddy moment right?

HyacinthBucket

HyacinthBucket

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 7:53 AM

It was just sloppy writing all around. From what we've seen of their characters, Wilson would have been there, Cuddy wouldn't have. I guess though characterization needs to be pushed aside so we can have another "great" House/Cuddy moment right?

Right! And here's another example: In the horrible over-the-top episode where Thirteen and House were taken hostage, Wilson had only a very brief scene on the phone to nonchalantly ask if House was OK. What the hell? It's no wonder I couldn't help snickering at the whole premise; if Wilson - his best friend - couldn't take it seriously, how could I? Even Chase bailed out - he didn't take it seriously either! Cuddy, as hospital administrator, worked directly with the SWAT team, leading us to one of many gigantic "Huddy" anvils - Cuddy cares about House. Yes, the SWAT team leader, noting Cuddy's concern for the situation, extrapolates that Cuddy has Very Special Feelings for House, rather than assuming that as hospital administrator, she would be equally concerned about everyone in that room!

Of course, we also had the Great Thirteen Revelation - "I want to live!!!" but surely there was time to show that Wilson was concerned for his best friend. Wilson was seriously short-changed in that episode, and it was for the benefit of Huddy - and Thirteen.

I agree with the comments above that Wilson was again sacrificed for the benefit of Huddy in the finale. If anyone had to be there for House, I wanted it to be Wilson, the friend who bought a condo for House's sake. THAT'S the Wilson we know and love. Having Wilson come in at the end would have brought us back full circle to Merry Little Christmas, where he left House lying on the floor in his own vomit. Yes, it seemed harsh at the time, but he did check to make sure he was OK, and I think it was probably the right thing to do because it finally forced House to act on his own behalf, and we know - because we were shown - that Wilson DID care about him. (Even then, House was "saved" by a ridiculous and nonsensical act by Cuddy in the end, which greatly overshadowed the heroic sacrifice made by Wilson all along.) While I wouldn't like House to be "saved" by anyone in the finale, I think Wilson's uncharacteristic lack of concern greatly contributed to his state of mind, specifically to the point where Cuddy could swoop in to save him in his greatest hour of need. (Pardon me while I lose my breakfast cereal.)

In my opinion, too much has already been sacrificed for "Huddy," including Dr. Cameron and Stacy's importance in House's life. Sacrificing Wilson as well is intolerable blasphemy. I loved this show when House and Wilson were at the heart of it, and Cuddy was merely the snarky boss. When I think of everything that had to happen - or not happen - in order for "Huddy" to come to fruition, shoving Wilson aside is the worst.

Edited by HyacinthBucket, Jul 5, 2010 @ 8:48 AM.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 7:10 PM

Wilson had only a very brief scene on the phone to nonchalantly ask if House was OK. What the hell? It's no wonder I couldn't help snickering at the whole premise; if Wilson - his best friend - couldn't take it seriously, how could I?

Yeah, there are times in which we're left to do just that. Not take some of the plots seriously. It amuses me how the writers try to make things seriously, but they keep tripping themselves.

I really wish what's the state of mind of the writers and RSL. These things make me thing that they all are setting this up to gradually reduce Wilson's importance so RSL is able to leave the show for good. I hope I'm wrong.

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Jul 6, 2010 @ 10:07 AM

These things make me thing that they all are setting this up to gradually reduce Wilson's importance so RSL is able to leave the show for good. I hope I'm wrong.

As House M.D. focuses on Huddy, House himself has become a much narrower, less involved person. He used to care about his subordinates (especially Cameron and Chase). Now he doesn't. He used to care about diagnostic medicine - it was his passion. Now his interest in his profession and his patients seems perfunctory at best.

House's world has shrunk until all there is in it is Cuddy and Wilson. I think TPTB would love to kick Wilson off. What prevents them is that they can use Wilson to promote Huddy, and his popularity with critics and fans.

I think that Lucas's arrival and Wilson's departure in season five was meant to be a kind of trial run to see what the audience reaction would be to a substitution. That is exactly the way that they brought in Olivia Wilde to replace Jennifer Morrison, loudly denying all the time that replacement was what they had in mind. Fortunately, audience reception to the substitution wasn`t as positive as they`d hoped and RSL came back.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2010 @ 1:33 PM

These things make me thing

LOL.

Well, then I hope he stays, even if only as a prop, so I can get to watch something pretty other than House. Doesn't matter if it's just to walk around with House. I guess. Now I'm depressed.

Edited by Hormyga, Jul 6, 2010 @ 1:38 PM.

maybetomorrow

maybetomorrow

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 10:30 PM

I think that Lucas's arrival and Wilson's departure in season five was meant to be a kind of trial run to see what the audience reaction would be to a substitution. That is exactly the way that they brought in Olivia Wilde to replace Jennifer Morrison, loudly denying all the time that replacement was what they had in mind. Fortunately, audience reception to the substitution wasn`t as positive as they`d hoped and RSL came back

I always assumed that Wilson's lesser screen time in the first part of season 5 was due to RSL's wedding (didn't he get hitched in August 2008?) and/or his wife's pregnancy in the fall/winter of 2008 (since she revealed in an equestrian magazine that she was on bedrest for the last several months of pregnancy). But I don't know how those things correspond to House's filming dates during that time, so I may be way off. I don't think it was a trial version for how the show would be without Wilson (since House's need for Wilson dominated the time Wilson was physically present, that would be a dumb way of trying out the absence of a character).

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 11:54 PM

I may be wrong but I think it was intended to see whether House could do without RSL because Lucas served the exact same role in House's life as Wilson did. Lucas was House's friend who listened to his problems and hung out with him after work, just as Wilson had been. There hardly needs to be two characters who fulfilled the exact same function in the show, so I assumed that the producers may have had a substition somewhere in the back of their minds, though perhaps with a lot of ifs attached. (If David Shore's proposed project with Michael Weston didn't work, and if Michael Weston was cheaper than RSL, and if the audience took to Lucas, etc.) In any case, it's always a good bargaining tactic for producers to let an actor know he can be replaced anytime they want to.

maybetomorrow

maybetomorrow

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2010 @ 2:47 AM

I don't think that would really be a good gambit with RSL though, for them to show that he could be replaced. He clearly doesn't care. He shuns fame and celebrity, is uninterested in awards and doesn't mind if he gets little screentime - yet shows up and knocks it out of the park when he needs to. Basically, he's a producer's dream. He's also signed on through season seven, so between seasons four and five there was no risk of him bolting or asking for more money.

I think RSL would be fine leaving after season seven and walking away from the show, though I do think he enjoys it. He's commented many times that he always intended to raise his kids on the East Coast, and now he has a daughter. He's made comments about essentially retiring from acting after House ends. I do think, though, that odds are season eight is the last season (it's the last one HL is signed for) especially if the ratings continue to decline. I think RSL might sign on for an eighth season if he was assured it was the final season (and got a pay bump, no doubt). I can definitely see HL going for that, since he's not only an executive producer but his comments before about RSL being essential to the show/the workplace.

Edited by maybetomorrow, Jul 12, 2010 @ 5:32 AM.

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Jul 12, 2010 @ 5:08 AM

In season three, TPTB pushed Chase and Cameron to the sidelines and introduced a number of "high-concept" characters competing for a place with House. These characters didn't have the depth of Chase and Cameron; their entire personalities could easily be described in a few words: cut-throat bitch, black Mormon, ridiculously old fraud, short nebbishy Jew, woman of mystery, etc. It seems to me, that TPTB were trying much the same trick with Wilson in season four - replacing an established character with someone who was a little less three-dimensional, a little more obvious, and designed to appeal to a younger audience. Wilson's replacement for the position of House's best friend was Lucas, a variation on the kind of character that Seth Green used to play in the 90s. He was an adult who dressed and talked like a teenager, and he had a built-in gimmick (just like the Survivor candidates); he's a private detective who cannot tell a lie. How amusingly quirky! Thank goodness that TPTB decided not to go this route, but it still seems to me a disastrously bad casting decision just narrowly averted.

As essential as Wilson was to House's glory years, his place in House's world seems far less secure now that House has become a hospital romance instead of a medical mystery. Now that TPTB have promised that House's sixth season will focus on House's relationship with Cuddy, he seems rather superfluous. (Shakespeare's play wasn't called Romeo and Juliet and Mercutio.) In seasons four and five, he earned his keep as a "Huddy" pimp but now that House and Cuddy are established, he's not necessary. Indeed, RSL's unforced chemistry with HL may actually be seen as a detriment to the show rather than an asset. House used to have strong relationships with Cameron, Chase and Wilson as well as with Cuddy. Cameron is no longer on the program. Chase's role has been greatly reduced and he hardly interacts with his former mentor at all. If Wilson's friendship with House is seen as a challenge to the central "Huddy" storyline, I can see his role steadily diminishing just as the roles of Chase and Cameron did before.

Edited by Evilida, Jul 12, 2010 @ 5:13 AM.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 3:32 PM

Quoting myself from the Gregory House thread

I don't know, as I mentioned in the thread dedicated to him, why Wilson would go the opposite way by paying House's efforts to improve with throwing him out of his flat the way he did (could it be that Wilson's attitude is the same one that House had when Foreman became happier after his crisis in s2 (Euphoria), where House pretty much said that he had no use for a happy Foreman?)

This can very well mean that Wilson is mirroring House, with House's helping influence (as in Wilson's episode "baby steps" final line said by House), which is ironic because of how this turned to bite House in the ass. That's completely fine by me, as there is room for Wilson to improve next season --if TPTB (and in this acronym I usually include RSL too) give him the time to do it, that is--. The only thing I don't like is Wilson's unusual bitterness. Not only his bitterness but his downright rudeness with House. Why did he have to be like that to him, say, after he made up with Sam, when he knew it happened thanks to House? He acted like he was actually rubbing Sam on House's face, and I don't know how can you reconcile that Wilson with the character who is supposed to be so caring, per House's words.

Edited by Hormyga, Jul 30, 2010 @ 3:35 PM.

Ixtab

Ixtab

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 4:36 PM

What happened in Baggage had nothing to do with Wilson's character, it had everything to do with the need for a lonely, broken House that would need Cuddy's love to go on. They at least had to decency to have House admit that the real Wilson is a caring friend. But if House had Wilson to go home to, then the last scene of S6 could not happen, it is as simple as that.

Every time TPTB need to show us Cuddy's love for House, or House's need for Cuddy, they make sure to get Wilson out of the way first. See the entire Huddy Saga in S5, we had 3 episodes without any House-Wilson scenes to make sure the audience understood where the "real love" was. When Cuddy's love is in display, the most we get are phone scenes, remember that horrid episode with the kidnapper, where only Cuddy "cared" about what happened to House, and Wilson got a couple of mini-scenes on the phone with House, not caring about the kidnapping (never mind that a couple of episodes before WIlson had admitted he was afraid of losing HOuse), I expect that at the beginning of S7 in order to show, The House-Cuddy Real Love Saga, Wilson will once again be left with a phone conversation (to prove he does not care as much as Cuddy) or they will avoid scenes with only House & Wilson, to avoid comparisons as much as possible.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 5:24 PM

They at least had to decency to have House admit that the real Wilson is a caring friend. But if House had Wilson to go home to, then the last scene of S6 could not happen, it is as simple as that.

I agree. And in doing so, they send Wilson to the trash for being so contradictory and confusing.

I'm so glad with House's reply during Remorse to Wilson's bitchy and unnecessary sermon about how House's unkindness to Cuddy's love and importance in House's life. If House having the patience to simply give an exasperated remark instead of yelling at him to get the f*ck out for being so idiotic is not an improvement in House's treatment of him, I don't know what is.

Edited by Hormyga, Jul 30, 2010 @ 6:09 PM.

lindabel

lindabel

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 7:27 PM

I'm so glad with House's reply during Remorse to Wilson's bitchy and unnecessary sermon about how House's unkindness to Cuddy's love and importance in House's life.

They're arguing over House apologizing to Wibberly instead of to Cuddy for cutting up her photos. Wilson tells House that Cuddy has been in love with him and all she got in return was "years of abuse" and that he merely "toyed with her emotions."

And I've always wondered (and said) that if she's been in love with him all these years, then why has she never acted on her feelings. Why not ever let him know how she feels or take him up on one of his offers. I've heard the Cuddy/Huddy's say that she's just protecting herself and that he's not right for her even though she has feelings for him. But what is she in love with? Either she loves him the way he is or she doesn't. And if she doesn't, then why keep him around giving him the opportunity to continually torment and abuse her?

It's sad how Wilson has become the biggest huddy cheerleader among the random people around the hospital that have to keep reminding us of the Huddy love. We had the SWAT guy from Last Resort and the two med students this season during grand rounds. Because the viewing audience (aside from the huddy fangirls) apparently either wouldn't see or might forget that these two are so much in luuuuuuuv!

Evilida

Evilida

Posted Jul 31, 2010 @ 1:19 AM

TPTB have largely avoided, ever since the Huddy arc began, scenes which show House and Cuddy and Wilson together. In episodes where Huddy is prominent, Wilson disappears. Apparently House can only have one friendship or relationship at a time, and because Huddy comes first, Wilson's integrity as a character is sacrificed. I think also they have avoided such scenes because House's friendship with Wilson comes off as deep and real, and the "love" he and Cuddy are supposed to share is a shallow sexual obsession in comparison.

Edited by Evilida, Jul 31, 2010 @ 1:36 AM.

Hormyga

Hormyga

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2010 @ 12:59 AM

From the spoilers thread...

One of the (many) things that I disliked about the past season was the way that it endorsed Wilson's belief that happiness comes from finding your "dream woman." That belief has caused Wilson nothing but grief since season one; without a girlfriend or wife, he's miserable and purposeless

Now if only they could get him to realize that happiness can also be found in sticking to your best friend/better half as a permanent companion, even if it's also a guy, they could spare him -as well as House- so much angst for the future. Is that so hard to accomplish?

His persistent belief that he must find his 'dream woman' just makes him look like a forty-something teenager.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I thought this latest episode was a wonderful illumination of the character of James Wilson, who has been ignored for far to long in favour of the Cuddy storyline and the ins and outs of House's team. In the C-Word, we got to see Wilson's dark and irrational side clearly, instead of just glimpsing it out of the corner of an eye.

Wilson said that House brought nothing but misery to everyone who knows him (implicitly, Wilson himself) and that if House got cancer he would know that he deserved it. Though the first thing that Wilson did when he recovered was agologize, that scene showed that only the people who really know you, who love you and understand you inside and out, can lash out with such precision. He targeted the exact spot that hurt House the most - that self-loathing that sees his own shortcomings clearly, that doesn't believe he deserves love and happiness, and tells him that the worst in himself is as all that there is. Though House has said some fairly nasty things to Wilson (emotional vampire thriving on neediness, for example), his words were comparatively blunt instruments, intended to hurt or stun but not necessarily "kill" - a cosh instead of Wilson's cruelly accurate stiletto to the heart. And House took it without retaliating.

It's a cliche that in any relationship there is the person who loves and the person who consents to be loved. Despite the fact that Wilson has spent years care-giving for House and trying to protect him from his own self-destructive impulses, I've always believed that House is the person in their friendship who loves. "Mirror, Mirror" reinforced that for me; so does "The C-Word".

Normally, the show allows plenty of gay jokes and innuendo, but no physical contact at all, even in the most innocent of situations. It reminds me of the "Hays Code" that governed the movies in the black and white era. The artificiality of it grates on my nerves. Wilson's illness, however, gives license for the two men to touch - and House strokes Wilson's hair and holds him while he vomits. Their hands meet when he passes him a glass of water. As far as I remember, all of their physical contact during the length of the series has been in a medical context: Wilson examining House's hand after he deliberately injured it, Wilson helping House to the bathroom after he's performed self-surgery. Medical necessity is DS's out clause from his own bizarrely restrictive code.

I'm wondering whether Wilson can go back to being an oncologist again. Wilson's job is obviously taking a huge emotional toll on him. It's true that he disapproved of the researcher who abandoned her research to cultivate her own happiness, but Wilson regarded her as exceptionally gifted and useful in the battle against cancer. His estimation of his own contribution has always been that he's basically a foot soldier in that battle, someone easily replaced. Wilson leaving PPTH is not out of the question, since he's quit before. House managed to talk him back. Maybe this time he won't be able to, or won't want to, after seeing how Wilson's profession hurts him. DS's mantra is that people don't change, but he himself went from being a lawyer to a television writer/producer. Even if people don't change, what they do can change.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, May 5, 2012 @ 8:40 PM.
spoilers

HyacinthBucket

HyacinthBucket

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

Lollia, I loved every word of your eloquent post. Your insight makes me want to rewatch the episode through your eyes. While I will never adore a character as much as I loved Friday Night Lights' Matt Saracen, James Wilson comes pretty darn close. It's so good to have the real Wilson back; I hope we get to keep him this time.