James Wilson

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2758 replies to this topic

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 8:23 PM

OK - how many of us just love Wilson, despite his penchant for marraige? I especially love just about any scene he's in. He can be touching, snarky, sexy, etc. I, of course, love all his interactions with House too.

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 8:52 PM

I can never keep Wilson's marriages straight. Is a Ross-esque multiple marryer? Or is House just giving him shit, which is entirely possible. Honestly, House makes a HORRIBLE source for background exposition on any character, but his closeness and familiarity with Wilson make it a hundred times worse.

Petula

Petula

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:20 PM

I've seen all the episodes, but somehow I missed Wilson's multiple marriages. I thought he was currently married to his first wife and was just a big cheater. What episode(s) mention other wives?

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:22 PM

There's at least one scene where House ribs him about multiple wives. Wilson says, "I love my wife" and House retorts, "You loved all your wives."

I could swear there were more, but I won't be watching episodes ad nauseum until the DVDs come out, so I haven't quite memorized it yet. :)'

anybodysfool07

anybodysfool07

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:23 PM

Wilson says, "I love my wife" and House retorts, "You loved all your wives."

Of course, we all know his one true love is House.

(What? There's isn't a HoYay! forum yet; I have to make my fun where I can).

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:26 PM

anybodysfool07, it's right here.

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:29 PM

I've seen all the episodes, but somehow I missed Wilson's multiple marriages. I thought he was currently married to his first wife and was just a big cheater. What episode(s) mention other wives?

In the Pilot, House mentions Wilson's three marriages. It may be in other places as well, but that's the one that stands out...

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, Screenwriting, Reading, Drama

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:33 PM

Wilson gets around, all right. I think it was really only mentioned in the pilot. All other references to his personal life mostly showed us how things weren't looking good with the latest, Julie.

DarknessReigns

DarknessReigns

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:44 PM

You think we could persuade RSL to do the Top Ten Panty Peeler Line list on Letterman?? Or better yet, come up with our own.

When will we get to see the BoyWonder Oncologist, umm, 'in action'? They keep teasing us. Work that Labcoat Jimmy!!

Edited by DarknessReigns, Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:49 PM.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:45 PM

The very best part about this line is that Wilson didn't even look up from his paper when he said it. Please, please tell me that we'll find out when the DVD is released how many takes that line took for RSL to take.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:48 PM

You think we could persuade RSL to do the Top Ten Panty Peeler Line list on Letterman??

That would be perfect! I don't know if he would even need a line with me (hee). Urm... that doesn't make me sound easy, does it? I'm not like that with everyone, just him or House.

Britomart

Britomart

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:49 PM

You think we could persuade RSL to do the Top Ten Panty Peeler Line list on Letterman?? Or better yet, come up with our own.

I think the list would have to include the incredibly cliched standby: "Want to come upstairs and see my etchings?"

But, we could also give it a medically-appropriate spin: "Want to come up upstairs and analyze some CT scans?"

DarknessReigns

DarknessReigns

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:51 PM

I'm think maybe Wilson didn't looking up from his paper while uttering the infamous panty-peeler line cause that was the ONLY way RSL could say it with a straight face.
One look at HL and he'd have prolly totally lost it.

Well that's MY fangirly story...and I'm sticking to it.

Could you have my Housewarming celebration drinks sent over to the shallow end of the pool for the rest of the night?

Edited by DarknessReigns, Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:56 PM.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:52 PM

That would be perfect! I don't know if he would even need a line with me (hee). Urm... that doesn't make me sound easy, does it? I'm not like that with everyone, just him or House.

Absolutely not, aquarian1! It just makes you a really fun date, which is exactly what I'd be in the same position. One of House's wry smiles or doleful looks would put me on my back.

Did I say that out loud?

I'm think maybe Wilson didn't looking up from his paper while uttering the infamous panty-peeler line cause that was the ONLY way RSL could say it with a straight face.
One look at HL and he'd have prolly totally lost it.

I'd totally believe that. For an added effect, though, Wilson came off so nonchalant about it, as if to say, "Oh yeah, that's a panty peeler. Oh look, Michael Jackson's trial is winding down."

You SO know that when House gave the "I never got any in high school" line, he delivered it with extra barbs to Wilson because House totally knows that Wilson got lots and lots of lovin' in high school. Still willing to bet that he was the first guy to "comfort" a girl when her boyfriend broke her heart or otherwise upset her.

Edited by eejm, Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:56 PM.

LittleLesh

LittleLesh

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 9:56 PM

The very best part about this line is that Wilson didn't even look up from his paper when he said it. Please, please tell me that we'll find out when the DVD is released how many takes that line took for RSL to take

Maybe it's just my inner 12 year old taking over my brain, but I still can't even think of this line without completely dissolving into helpless giggles. I'm with you eejm: I would love to see outtakes/commentaries/whatever regarding this scene on the DVD.

Wilson/RSL: how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

DarknessReigns

DarknessReigns

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:01 PM

Sometimes I get the feeling Wilson was like the geek (ugly duckling), in school, who suddenly blossomed and is surprised that the girls want him and he can't say no....or they can't say no to him. He's still got a bit of that too cute geekiness to him.
But all those trophies would seem to indicate otherwise re that geek theory. OR did he become better at games/sports or more competetive much later on??

Edited by DarknessReigns, Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:06 PM.

JoHL

JoHL

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:14 AM

Great new format, expansion, etc.

Shouldn't that be **Dr.** Panty-peeler? ;)

BTW, if TPTB read any House or even Hugh Laurie board, they'd be compelled to jack up the Wilson content (so to speak.)

I would so love to see a few episodes on his backstory. I'm thinking the end of marriage number three, but any more RSL is fine by me.

Does anyone know why he doesn't do interviews? I could only find one in the Boston Globe since House started. If he's a private man, I'm sure certain pubs would just do his career.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:29 AM

Shouldn't that be **Dr.** Panty-peeler? ;)

Thanks to Glark, it now is. :-D

JoHL

JoHL

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:41 AM

Aaah....I bow to the MasterMod.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 10:35 AM

Stepping back from the panty-peeler line (which I have yet to see, as I was a TARfly during regular season), I have to chime in with Sars in her awesome recap, about how great RSL is in the role, and how wonderful to have him on TV every week in a series.

I seriously think that this is the first time he's really managed to show onscreen what a truly wonderful actor he is. In his film appearances he made an impression mostly as a pretty face and charming presence, and didn't seem to have much more than that to offer. But on stage... in Tom Stoppard's Arcadia, which I saw twice, I would just focus on him during scenes with others (some pretty heavy-duty people -- Blair Brown, Victor Garber; Billy Crudup was also in the cast in his amazing stage debut, but in a different time period so they never interacted). He was such a good listener, which as so many actors say, is the essence of acting. Then he was in another Stoppard, The Invention of Love, and was powerful and heartbreaking and unforgettable (and deservedly won a Tony award for it). I seriously put him up there with whoever you care to mention among the really heavy hitters in American acting: Jason Robards, George C. Scott, Robert Ryan, you name it. He's that good, and we get to watch him every week.

Edited by Rinaldo, Jun 10, 2005 @ 11:44 AM.

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 10:51 AM

He's that good, and we get to watch him every week.

Ah, Rinaldo, be sure to catch the panty-peeler episode when it airs again. That whole scene just hits the perfect note of melancholy funny...

ITA agree that RSL is fantastic in the Wilson role and, I think, might even have elevated it from the sidekick-with-a-pretty-face bit that perhaps it originally was intended to be. If I have one quibble at all with the show (and pretty much anyone 'round these parts will tell you that I'm all but blind to its faults), it's that we don't see enough of Wilson in the later episodes. I'm really hoping that he'll have a substantive story arc in Season Two for several reasons - first because I find him to be a fascinating character and his friendship with House is unlike any other on television currently and second, because I think RSL has the talent to take on a much larger role than he's been given to date. I also think that exploring Wilson's character will lead to the continued reveal of House himself as the two clearly have much shared history. My thoughts have often gone to a storyline regarding the dissolution of Wilson's third marriage, though they could also go in the opposite direction and have Julie become pregnant. Wilson and impending fatherhood? Think of the repercussions. Anyway, just my two cents...

Edited by Lizzim, Jun 10, 2005 @ 10:52 AM.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 11:13 AM

we don't see enough of Wilson in the later episodes

I completely agree, but also wonder if RSL had asked for a little fluidity in his role so he could be free to take theatrical roles and such, either in LA or back on the East Cost. He's said before that he started doing House for the money, and while I haven't heard that he isn't enjoying it, I'm guessing his heart is still onstage.

Or, perhaps the popularity of Wilson was underestimated during season one, and his part will be expanded a bit more in season two. I think we could say the exact same thing about Lisa Edelstein and Cuddy.

My thoughts have often gone to a storyline regarding the dissolution of Wilson's third marriage, though they could also go in the opposite direction and have Julie become pregnant. Wilson and impending fatherhood? Think of the repercussions.

May I just say, "Yes please!" to this idea? In fact, why not have Julie find out she's pregnant while they're considering divorce? What would Wilson becoming a father do to House? Not that I'd want to see House with any long-lost kids, but I do wonder if the subject ever came up with Stacy or anyone before her. As much as he hates patients, House seems very gentle with babies. He said himself that people don't start bothering him until they get teeth.

Edited by eejm, Jun 10, 2005 @ 11:15 AM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 11:31 AM

To bring it to the complete shallow. I keep imaginging what it would be like to hear "Paging Dr. Panty-Peeler" in a hospital and it just makes me giggle. It also led to this full sequence.

Paging Dr. Panty-Peeler. Paging Dr. Panty-Peeler. aquarian1 has got her panties in a wad over not seeing enough of you on screen. You can fill in the rest on how he would.. um... "correct" my malady.

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:09 PM

but also wonder if RSL had asked for a little fluidity in his role so he could be free to take theatrical roles and such, either in LA or back on the East Cost

Someone asked this in the other thread (hee - remember the "old" thread???), but if there was a reply, I didn't catch it. Does RSL do interviews? I've only seen one, in print, since the show took off. I'd love to know what he's up to these days and if, in fact, it's still possible to catch him in a theater somewhere.

In fact, why not have Julie find out she's pregnant while they're considering divorce? What would Wilson becoming a father do to House?

Oooh - eejm, I like this even better than the either/or scenario I initially proposed. It first occurred to me when Wilson gave his "screwed up friendship" speech to House after he resigned. Curious that the things he listed as "not working were 1) his marriage and 2) no children. There are so, so many things they could do... First, the Wilson/fatherhood thing appealed to me because I love the friendship dynamic between House and Wilson and fatherhood clearly would change that. Which, I know, seems that it doesn't make sense (I love it so much that I want them to change it?) But those two trying to maintain their friendship while Wilson also deals with a difficult marriage and trying to be a good father - I should just stock up on Kleenex, prozac and vodka now. Also, I can see it stirring up things for House vis-a-vis his own parental issues. For example, perhaps part of the reason for his prickly nature is because he grew up with parents who only stayed together "for the children." Watching House as he watches Wilson do the same thing would be very, very interesting. I have such enormous faith in the writers as well as HL and RSL - their scenes together are always the high points of any episode. I really hope the writers continue to grow Wilson's character and give us more of these two gentlemen together.

Edited by Lizzim, Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:10 PM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:59 PM

After bringing the shallow, I must redeem myself with the not so shallow. Add me to the chorus of people awed by RSL's acting. Especially the non-verbal. I think he's on par with HL in that regard. Just watching his expressions as House and Cuddy spar (even about "funbags") or watching the House/Hitler-girl (sorry I forget her name) is just priceless and so good. I totally agree with Sars that you could write paragraphs about just moments of glances or looks between Wilson and House. Not to dwarf the other actors' skills, they are all good, but RSL and HL really seem to bring it up a notch. I could just watch them stare at eachother.

funwithtv

funwithtv

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 2:03 PM

In Three Stories, when House told the little story about his friend who gets told "thank you" after telling patients they're going to die--did anyone else think he was definitely talking about Wilson? Or was that a given?

I heart RSL. Hugh is lovely to look at, but I'm completely head over heels for Dr. Panty Peeler. And his fine, fine...acting.

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 3:57 PM

In Three Stories, when House told the little story about his friend who gets told "thank you" after telling patients they're going to die--did anyone else think he was definitely talking about Wilson? Or was that a given?

funwithtv, I'm not in a position to say it's a given, but I assume he was referring to Wilson. House really doesn't have any other "buddies" and Wilson is just the type of doctor that gets thanked for giving someone bad news (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

DarknessReigns

DarknessReigns

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2005 @ 1:29 PM

As for next season, more Wilson airtime of course is #1 on my hit parade......along with finding out how and why he became friends with House. Which would require much more of the goodness that is HL/RSL. (mucho screwed-up friendship snark required)

Someone suggested a season long arc where we follow Wilson and one of his patients. Sounds like a plan I'd like to see come to fruition. Along with a few more non-House scenes with the ducklings and Cuddy too.

The names of his brothers would be nice to know and if he's close with the brother that still is in his life. I'm hoping we get to meet either his parents or brother. Both is prolly too much to ask for in one season.

hugmonster

hugmonster

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 12:29 AM

I just recently discovered this show and I was soooooooo happy when I saw RSL because I fell in love with him in Dead Poets Society. I haven't seen much of him since and I am really excited that his is on a successful tv series. I am really enjoying this show and am currently spending all my free time reading forums for this show. Did someone upthread mention other House and/or RSL messageboards? Can someone give me a link to these sites? Thanks in advance.

Edited by hugmonster, Jun 13, 2005 @ 12:32 AM.

Sparafucile

Sparafucile

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 2:06 AM

In his film appearances he made an impression mostly as a pretty face and charming presence, and didn't seem to have much more than that to offer.

I wonder if you have seen him as the AIDS-afflicted son spending his final days reminiscing with his mother, Glenn Close, in In The Gloaming, directed by the late Christopher Reeve. It's a beautiful film on its small, modest scale (it's based on a short story by Alice Elliott Dark), and his performance is lovely, perhaps his best in any motion picture.

I also thought he was much more than good looks and charm in Dead Poets Society, and indeed was touching, raw, and honest in his part as the doomed would-be actor, but I've never been entirely sold on the film itself -- too much a hodgepodge of the sincere and the facile.