Speculation without Spoilers: Differential Diagnosis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1457 replies to this topic

rocknrollchic

rocknrollchic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

The only way I can see the series ending is with House dying. Right? How else can the show end? It's the only thing that hasn't happened! He's been in prison, he's been sick and diagnosed himself, he's even been married (ish)...what else is there?

Drapers4thWife

Drapers4thWife

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

I know Wilson having cancer is likely a gimmick to lure back some longtime viewers who've left in the past couple of seasons, in which case it worked. I left the show when House hooked up with Cuddy, but read abut Wilson having cancer and watched that scene plus the preview for next week, and I'm hooked. Gimmick or not, it looks like Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard will act their asses off, so I'm there.

I don't think Wilson will die, but it would be a nice ending to the series if Wilson stabilized but House took a leave at PPTH to go care for Wilson longterm. It would be in character and kind of "uplifting" (as David Shore said) because it would show that House has grown enough to truly care for someone else. And he could leave the diagnostics department in Chase's hands, which would be fitting and bring the show full circle. It would be an ending that shows character development but would still be bittersweet.

I just hope the writes chose cancer deliberately, because it's not something that can be cured in the span of an episode, so even if the experimental chemo Wilson is shown taking in the preview does seem to work and improve him, it's not like one course of chemo could "cure" the cancer immediately.

NIccibee

NIccibee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:58 AM

I'm hooked. Gimmick or not, it looks like Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard will act their asses off, so I'm there.

Me too. I haven't watched since Wilson dropped House off at the asylum, but I am back for this.

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

I'd really like to see them kill off the House character at the end in some dramatic fashion, that would really provide some closure. But I can't see them really killing anyone. If they do, how are they going to do the House Reunion special in four or five years?

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

It's funny I was going to give up on this show, but being the last of it I decided to stick with it. That being said, here's my off the wall speculation.

With the Wilson cancer story line, and the preview of him begging not to go to the hospital... I think House will take him to the hospital and then realize why Stacey and Cuddy did what they did to his leg and become at peace with what happened to him. Maybe even amputate and try to be pain free w/o drugs. And then ride, on horseback on a beach, off into the sunset with Wilson. Well maybe not that last part.

Edited by aquarian1, Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:01 PM.

mcjen

mcjen

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Dana5140 wrote: (in the "Body and Soul" thread)

I see it a bit different. I think seeing Domenika go was part of how they are ending the series: Domenika leaves, Cuddy is gone, Wilson dies, the cottages are fired or quit and are disbursed and House is left utterly alone. Maybe he gets new cottages, all new. And for him, it just goes on as it always has, but now he has no support anywhere. He remains a huge jerk. You know they will not give him a happy ending; they never, ever have.

aquarian 1 wrote:

I think House will take him to the hospital and then realize why Stacey and Cuddy did what they did to his leg and become at peace with what happened to him. Maybe even amputate and try to be pain free w/o drugs.

Actually, I could see either one of these endings. Aquarian's option would have worked better (for me) if it had come earlier in the series, like at the end of Season 5. Since then, they've played so fast & loose with issue of House's pain - it's unbearable/soul-sucking/killing him, but wait...it can be controlled with ibuprofen. If he's in luv. Oh, but now it's back again; etc, etc. Unfortunately, I'm afraid TPTB frittered away House's Pain as a major motivating factor in his world view.

On the other hand, making the choice to have his leg amputated would represent a big change in his view of himself, since it's always appeared to me (going back to "Three Stories") that House rejected the idea of of losing his leg as somehow leaving him less than whole. But, on yet another hand (I have endless hands), didn't he already make some sort of a concession to Cuddy (and, by inference, to Stacey) as having done the right thing, back in that episode that ended Season 6 (to lazy to look up the title)? The one with the young woman trapped in rubble, when House talked her into letting him amputate her leg? I've never rewatched that one, but I have the sense that more or less told her, with significant looks at Cuddy, that he was wrong and they were right. Or am I making that up?

As to Dana5140's idea, I could see that working, too. And, believe it or not, it could even be viewed as "uplifting", in manner of speaking, if House, all alone, having lost all those few people he truly cared about, sucks it up and goes forward. His pretence could be that he still only cares about solving puzzles (and God, will I ever be glad to not hear that analysis hauled out ad nauseum anymore!), but I think it might be plausibly done to leave the audience with the understanding that, despite all his protests, he WILL form attachments to new team members. I mean, he only had Kutner on his team for a couple of years and look how affected he was by his death. He knew Amber for an even shorter term. House loves to pretend he doesn't care, and yes, he is an ass...but he actually does care.

Of course, however this is wrapped up, I have little-to-no faith that the writers (including Shore) won't completely bungle it, leaving a bad taste in our mouths for ever and ever, amen. They've known all year this MIGHT be the very last season, and they gave us episode after episode of re-hashed dreck, trivialities, silly tricks and mind-games. I cannot imagine them hitting it out of the ballpark with the few remaining episodes at their disposal. I do have faith that HL will do whatever is humanly possible to make House's last appearances as moving as they can be (given what I expect he'll have to work with.)

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

Gimmick or not, it looks like Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard will act their asses off, so I'm there.

Agreed. When given half-way decent material, they can work miracles. The problem is that lately the material they've been given hasn't been half-way decent.

Unfortunately, I find it difficult to entirely give up on House. I was hugely disappointed by the fourth season and ready to give on the show entirely, but then House's Head/Wilson's Heart drew me again. I quit again when Huddy took over, but came back when House and Cuddy broke up. It's a weakness. I don't trust David Shore anymore to do anything right, of course, but I can't quite give up all hope.

The knowledge that the last two episodes are going to feature Olivia Wilde lowers my expectations. She's never been much of an actress - on her good days, she's on par with Odette Annable, which isn't saying much - yet David Shore is inordinately fond of her and her character.

Conversely, he has little interest in Wilson, whose function over the last four or five years has been as cheerleader/commentator on House's romantic life. He's been greatly diminished as a character, potential storylines for him have been dropped and ignored, and the recent episodes where he's been featured, like Gut Check, show that Shore and his writing team have forgotten who Wilson is. Under his hand, Wilson's medical ordeal could well be the catalyst for (yet another) examination of Thirteen's ability to cope with her mortality.

More optimistically, I think that Wilson will likely appoint House to make medical decisions on his behalf if he is unable to make them, since Wilson's trust in House's medical judgement is absolute. This will put House in the position of Stacy after his infarction or Wilson after Amber's bus accident - having to make decisions that affect someone you love and don't want to lose.

I'd also like to see a return of season five House - when House actually showed some understanding and helped Wilson move on after Amber's death. This season they've emphasized the selfish bastard too much; House has always been self-centered but he didn't start out as the unlikeable, scuzzy sociopath he was in Gut Check and (especially) We Need the Eggs.

Darynthe

Darynthe

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

My idea of an ending for the series was House secretly killing off a severly sick Thirteen as he had promised (which is against my moral standards, but in line with his own) and also suprisingly getting his and Cuddy's baby because of her death.

Surely it will deal instead with Wilson's death (maybe House's?). I just watched last episode and the cancel bomb was totally unfelt by the actors and by me as audience. Really, this shows needs to be killed off ASAP. It is getting worse by the hour.

Edited by Darynthe, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:03 PM.

Drapers4thWife

Drapers4thWife

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:42 AM

Really, this shows needs to be killed off ASAP.

There are only four episodes left. There would be no point in suddenly deciding not to air the handful of episodes left in the whole series.

AnarchyNow

AnarchyNow

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

I think that this show will end in a similar way as Saint Elsewhere. That entire series turned out to be a dream of an autistic child. That would make more sense on HOUSE MD than where the current story lines are heading.

rollingstone

rollingstone

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

I just saw some promo pictures for the last ep that showed Wilson in them. The end of Post Mortem suggests that the cancer wasn't reduced enough, which, as House reminded us, meant Wilson would die. Since Wilson doesn't appear to be in the penultimate ep (based upon the promo at the end of last night's ep), I am getting a sinking feeling about this. A couple of the pics show House and Wilson talking, which, if not an actual conversation, could be some kind of dream. The problem is that there is one shot of Wilson with Foreman, and one shot of Wilson with the team. Since he doesn't seem to be interacting with the others in either picture (hard to tell from a still shot, I admit), I have a sickening thought that we are about to be M Night Shyamalaned, and we and House are about to see dead people. Please, writers, don't go there and ruin the ending of a show I've loved.

Edited by rollingstone, May 8, 2012 @ 7:02 PM.

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

I don't think we'll be Shyamalaned. I can't guess if Wilson is going to die or not. But I do wonder if the promo pic of House breaking his cane says something about what's next. Could he decide to finally get his leg amputated in order to finally face life pain free? I think House is somewhat addicted to his pain as if it is some kind of redemptive suffering, in that he can be a jackass because, hey, he's in constant white hot pain so he gets to be a jerk because of that.

Without his pain he's just House. A mess without an excuse. He may decide it's time to deal with his boatload of issues and get a leg up on sorting himself out.

Edited by FreakyBunny, May 8, 2012 @ 9:34 PM.

LottaMoxie

LottaMoxie

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I don't know what will happen with the characters, but the last show is screaming for a diagnosis of Lupus. I mean it should. Finally.

"It's Lupus!"

< roar of the crowd >

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

I apologize for this in advance. We now have an assured cure for Wilson. Once Cameron shows up she can just plan a wet sloppy kiss on him (forehead is just as good as lips.) It doesn't just cure Wilson but every other sick person within a 10 mile radius.

Summa

Summa

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

I apologize for this in advance. We now have an assured cure for Wilson. Once Cameron shows up she can just plan a wet sloppy kiss on him (forehead is just as good as lips.) It doesn't just cure Wilson but every other sick person within a 10 mile radius.

She might even raise from the dead too because Kutner's coming back, and I guess she has a track record of doing that too now.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

I very much hope that TPTB at House don't do this, because I think it's cheesy, but it occurred to me that Thirteen is already dead, having died on that Greek island, and it was her ascended being/spirit image/soul that appeared to House and to Wilson to impart the wisdom of acceptance. I'm pretty sure she didn't ever talk to anyone else except House and Wilson, and she never gave any explanation why she was suddenly back in Princeton. (She hopped on a plane just to talk to Wilson for a couple of minutes when she hardly gave him the time of day when she was in the office next to him - an angelic visitation almost seems more plausible!)

I'm going to rewatch the cafe scene and see if she moves any objects. I hope I'm wrong.

ETA: I rewatched and Thirteen does not move any objects in the scene with Wilson, and she speaks of human responses as if humans are something seperate from herself. Is this just typical Thirteen arrogance, seeing herself as on a higher plane than humanity, or is she ACTUALLY on a higher plane? She doesn't touch anything in the later scene with House either, but the automatic door opens as she walks towards it.

Edited by Lollia Pollina, May 16, 2012 @ 3:02 AM.

mcjen

mcjen

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

I haven't rewatched and, you're right, having 13 appear as a spirit does seem super-cheesy. OTOH, even in the single viewing I had, her appearance felt remarkably abrupt and out-of-left-field to me at the time. Like you, I hope they weren't/aren't going for this.

I can't really draw any clear conclusions from the promo for the finale (it seemed to operate on a Mad Men level of misdirection.) I'm not sure whether those many cuts of House sitting in an area made of concrete depict him in solitary confinement, or something else. There was one shot that appeared to be House (or someone) falling through a hole in a floor, and a lot of the shots of him on the ground seem to have debris lying about. What appears to be Cameron lying on the ground, facing House, would surely be a delusion or daydream then, especially if he's stuck somewhere awaiting rescur. And the shot of man extending his hand to help House up? The man is wearing a suit...so is it a heavenly Kutner (who I'd still picture more in his white doctor's jacket), or is it Wilson? Dead Wilson or Living Wilson?

But also, wouldn't any scenario that has House actually actually falling into some kind of debris/rubble environment be just too reminscent of the Season 6 finale? I've got no answers. I do know that, of all the past team members, aside from Cameron I would have most preferred to see Amber return. Guess that's not to be.

Got to admit, though, while I've lost a great deal of interest in the show during the past 2-3 seasons, I'm feeling pretty nostalgic now as it gets so close to the end.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

I can't really draw any clear conclusions from the promo for the finale (it seemed to operate on a Mad Men level of misdirection.)

Yes, images and music to create a mood, but very few real clues.

I don't think House spends the entire episode in prison because of the image of him lying on a lawn staring up on the night sky. I also don't think that there is any way we're even David Shore could describe an ending where Wilson dies and/or goes through chemotherapy alone while House is in prison as "uplifting" rather than cruel. Really cruel - Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" cruel.

Although I think the last three episodes have really showcased what terrific actors Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard are, I'm unhappy that Wilson's death is inevitable. I'd like to imagine Wilson finding contentment and being rewarded for his commitment to House.