Speculation without Spoilers: Differential Diagnosis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1457 replies to this topic

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 8:04 PM

I was looking through old posts to find our ideas for thread names. There were so many good ones out there. I want the right people to get credit for their ideas, so I used one of my own titles here.

NO SPOILERS ALLOWED HERE - THIS IS PURE SPECIULATION

Anyway, on topic?

How long do you think Stacey will be around next season? We know SW has signed on for 7 eps, but will she do them all?

Will we ever find out more about the BOUO?

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 8:07 PM

I think she will. They used Chi McBride for 5 episodes, which is really the right size for a mini-arc, so I can see them conceivably getting 7 solid episodes out of SW.

I just have no idea where they're going to go with them. I think that she and House will part on less-than-happy, but perfectly amicable terms, but I can also see them parting completely hurt and damaged (again!) by each other.

bearsgrrr

bearsgrrr

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 4:26 PM

Hopefully they will see she's not that popular and not use her at all. The last scene with Cuddy asking House if he minded her hiring Stacy, Cuddy had an "I don't know about this" kind of look. They could easily play it down with just a couple episodes of Stacy appearing if necessary. Can you tell I'm not a Stacy fan?

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 4:29 PM

Same here. I like that we got to learn more about House and Cuddy and the Infarction because of her storyline, but I'm not sure what else they can do, or more pointedly what else they can do with her that I would like. NO MORE TAKING TIME AWAY FROM WILSON! Darn it.

ETA: I also hope they'll bring back the Chase's father storyline, at least one episode for some closure (for me, not Chase, but it would be good for him too).

Edited by aquarian1, Jun 10, 2005 @ 4:34 PM.

flakewhite

flakewhite

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 4:34 PM

I now know enough about House himself to keep me happy for a little while. I don't really want to do a bunch of sufferring leading up to the baseball playoffs, during which I suffer enough. Park Stacy someplace and give me a little more Cuddy and Wilson and maybe some Duck a l'orange.

movable nu

movable nu

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2005 @ 1:50 AM

I'm praying TPTB use Stacy to show us a bit more about Wilson & Cuddy. I can see her meeting either of them for drinks and giving us some backstory on them, helping with the frickin' timeline, and then popping back out.

Even though I'm (mostly) looking forward to Stacy being around for 7 moreepisodes, I can't see the writers pulling off having her around in every other scene for that long.

amysusanne

amysusanne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 1:12 PM

That's my wish and, really, what I think they're going to do for at least a small bit. Having Cuddy and Wilson both know Stacy (and Wilson clearly being friends with her) is too good for them to *not* use her to advance their stories and give us some more background. They could have easily just made Stacy House's ex and given her either no relationship or an antagonistic relationship with either/or Cuddy and Wilson, but instead they made her and Cuddy both a part of why House is the way he is now and they made her, evidently, close with Wilson.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 1:22 PM

I'm sure we get more on all the characters next season, but I really want to see more of Wilson fleshed out. Why is he the marrying man? Even though he has other friends, why is his "crazy, messed up" friendship with House the most important? Is House is only real deep friendship? How did he get into medicine? Why oncology? (and so on, and so on). I think RSL is a wonderful actor, and although I certainly don't expect him to take over all the screentime, I would like to see some of this.

ETA actual speculation. We know one his brother's is missing, right? Maybe there's something about the parents/home life that led to Wilson not being able to hold onto a marraige and made his brother run away.

Edited by aquarian1, Jun 13, 2005 @ 1:24 PM.

movable nu

movable nu

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 8:20 PM

Do we know Wilson has other friends? Obviously he has peccadillos, wives, & House. Maybe Cuddy and somehow from a friendship long ago and far away, Stacy. But any signs of anyone else?

My actual speculation: We'll find out why Foreman had his incident of crime. His parents are still married to each other which (possibly) adds a degree of stability to his home life. His juvenile incident seems like it must have been a random teenage blip. If he had a big record folks would have been less likely to think much of him, blahblah self-fulfilling prophecy cakes, and no eventual fellowship with House.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, Screenwriting, Reading, Drama

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 8:24 PM

I also hope they'll bring back the Chase's father storyline, at least one episode for some closure (for me, not Chase, but it would be good for him too).

Ditto. I want so badly to see Chase's reaction to his father's death. I'd hate it if the storyline was just dropped.

KatalynJ

KatalynJ

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 9:01 PM

Maybe there's something about the parents/home life that led to Wilson not being able to hold onto a marraige and made his brother run away.

His brother's homeless and on the street, isn't he? That argues more than just a bad family life, maybe mental illness or addiction or maybe even PTSD from a war.

We've got Foreman's B&E at age 16 followed by his over achiever 4.0 GPA at Hopkins. Who straightened him out? And Cameron said she got a record at age 17, I wonder if they're going to explore that or just drop it.

Edited by KatalynJ, Jun 13, 2005 @ 9:02 PM.

deekay

deekay

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 9:13 PM

And Cameron said she got a record at age 17, I wonder if they're going to explore that or just drop it.

I took that as a joke - you think she really does have a record? I'd think House would have ferreted that out before he hired her.

DarknessReigns

DarknessReigns

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 9:26 PM

Yeah, the missing brother (homeless & living on the streets) would seem to indicate some kind of mental illness and/or addiction. That was the case with my brother. (mine never went 'missing' for more than a week or so at any one time though, we always kinda knew where he was)

I was a bit surprised when Wilson's backstory included a missing brother. Usually there are estranged siblings or one that tragically died during childhood. But this is a bit different. It gives Wilson an emotional wound or source of pain that will never quite heal (like House's leg?...just guessing here).

Why didn't Wilson ever mention this brother to House before? Could it be House reminds him of that brother (older brother perhaps?) or House's addiction does?

Edited by DarknessReigns, Jun 13, 2005 @ 9:30 PM.

Britomart

Britomart

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 9:29 PM

And Cameron said she got a record at age 17, I wonder if they're going to explore that or just drop it.

I took that as a joke - you think she really does have a record? I'd think House would have ferreted that out before he hired her.

Not necessarily -- when House revealed his knowledge of this to Foreman, he said he'd heard it from one of Foreman's highschool teachers, presumably one of his listed references. Since juvenile records are sealed and very hard to uncover, I think it was just luck that House found this out. (If one defines luck as blabbering highschool teachers who reveal information they technically shouldn't.) So I don't see it so much as House went looking for someone with such a past, but was thrilled to discover one, and hired him for it.

I don't have any problem imagining Cameron with some minor juvenile record -- she probably got busted drinking underage at a highschool party. Can't you just see her as a cheerleader, celebrating a big victory with too many winecoolers? <snerk>

arlykeeno

arlykeeno

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 9:57 PM

I was thinking more of a bust for chaining herself to a tree or the gates of a nuclear power plant.

Britomart

Britomart

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 9:57 PM

"Heh. I can see that, too. Though maybe as her second bust once she grew an undergraduate social conscience.

flakewhite

flakewhite

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2005 @ 8:16 AM

We'll find out why Foreman had his incident of crime. His parents are still married to each other which (possibly) adds a degree of stability to his home life. His juvenile incident seems like it must have been a random teenage blip.

Foreman's folks could be overachieving upper middle class people themselves. Foreman's juvenile incident could be rebellion, silliness (we don't know where he broke in nor why), or something quite benign misread.

I was thinking more of a bust for chaining herself to a tree

I like this idea of Cameron chained to a tree ... and then saved by St. Gregory, no, that's St. George, somewhat later.

Examorata

Examorata

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2005 @ 8:33 AM

Sign me up as one who would really like to see Chase Sr. one more time - or at least hear the final news about him.

Obviously I'd like background on all the ducklings and the more I know about Wilson, the better - but I really can't wait to learn more about Cuddy. She is almost a complete cipher at this point. Didn't someone say at some point (probably the old thread, heh) that she had a picture of two girls on her desk? Nieces? Children? Godchildren? Does Cuddy have pets? Does she have a boyfriend or a girlfriend or time for any sort of relationship outside of work. We really only know that she used to be a doc at PPTH, now she's dean of medicine, she plays tennis. And that's it!

If there is a BOUO shout-out next season I will be the happiest girl on God's green earth.

amysusanne

amysusanne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 8:58 AM

I don't have any problem imagining Cameron with some minor juvenile record -- she probably got busted drinking underage at a highschool party. Can't you just see her as a cheerleader, celebrating a big victory with too many winecoolers? <snerk>

See, I was picturing her more as Lisa Miller, breaking in to the post office because she couldn't wait another day to get her college acceptance letters. Or was it SAT scores? I forget...{g}

Seriously, though? I don't something as big as that or as small as a little drinking under age nonsense. I could picture Cameron just doing something really stupid, like participating in a prank or being in the wrong place at the wrong time when a friend was committing a crime (i.e., joyriding or something of that nature). Cameron strikes me as smart enough not to be the dopey cheerleader who drinks too much, but naive enough to get herself into something stupid and not think about the consequences.

Edited by amysusanne, Jun 16, 2005 @ 9:09 AM.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 9:09 AM

I was thinking more of a bust for chaining herself to a tree or the gates of a nuclear power plant.

arlykeeno, have you been watching Degrassi Junior High? :)

We really only know that she used to be a doc at PPTH, now she's dean of medicine, she plays tennis.

And golf! But yes, we don't even know Cuddy's specialty. And I'd love to know how and when she met House, and if her shocked stare at Vogler when he asked if she was sleeping with House meant that she was just dumbfounded at the question, or if it had actually happened.

Hey, do you think Cuddy is Jewish? And that's how House knew about Jewish foreplay in Kids?

Edited by eejm, Jun 16, 2005 @ 9:12 AM.

arlykeeno

arlykeeno

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 2:29 PM

arlykeeno, have you been watching Degrassi Junior High? :)

I've never seen DeGrassi anything. Sorry!

I was thinking of my own youth (no, I didn't get arrested!) where we all walked out of junior high and stood in the parking lot to protest Nixon bombing Cambodia. Otherwise, as one of the Smart Kids Concerned About My Permanent Record, I didn't do anything arrestable, and I thought Cameron was likely to be on that model. Shoplifting makeup from Osco Drugs was also kind of a rite of passage for many, but I think I was too scared. But I was definitely in the other room at parties in high school when pot was smoken and beer was drunk by underage people, so I suppose I could've gotten picked up for that or drunk driving during my misspent college years. Other than that, things of a protesty nature were what a bright, ambitious person of my youth would've been most likely to get busted for.

I guess that's probably not applicable to Cameron, since I'm twenty years older than she is, but it just seemed the natural thing to me.

Edited by arlykeeno, Jun 16, 2005 @ 2:30 PM.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 2:40 PM

Sorry about the confusion, arlykeeno. Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High was a Canadian drama about a group of kids in junior high and then in high school. It ran in the late 80s and early 90s, and was shown on PBS here in the US. It was pretty true to life, with lots of PSAs, although not terribly overdramatized. None of the kids on the show had had previous acting experience, all were actually teenagers during the shows run, and most were everyday-looking kids (as opposed to the 25-year-old models we tend to see on other "teen" shows). Usually each episode focused on a particular student faced with a certain issue - teen sexuality and pregnancy, eating disorder, abusive parents, drug use, you name it. Nothing was shied away from. The storylines have held up pretty well, but the clothing and hairstyles have not. :) A more updated version of the show started a few years ago with the same premise.

Anyway, one of the characters got arrested for trying to vandalize a nuclear power plant (I think?), which I thought of when you mentioned Cameron's possible arrest. Actually, I could totally see the character who got arrested being very Cameron-esque today.

amysusanne

amysusanne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 3:38 PM

Actually, I could totally see the character who got arrested being very Cameron-esque today.

Caitlin's a part of the "Next Generation" cast. I wanted to post that she and Cameron aren't that much alike, but the more I thought about it...they kind of are. It's a little scary.

Back on topic: I kind of dread it, but I still predict that halfway into the season, Cameron will have a new love interest.

PhoenixRising

PhoenixRising

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 3:40 PM

Back on topic: I kind of dread it, but I still predict that halfway into the season, Cameron will have a new love interest.

amysusanne, I am betting on that too. I just hope they keep it on the periphery.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 4:33 PM

Well, hey, a hospital full of sick and/or dying men is to Cameron as a singles bar is to everyone else... except maybe Wilson, who occasionally scopes the psych ward for needy women. (Please don't hit me. I'll show myself out.)

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 5:02 PM

Watch it be Troubled Chase.

Actually, now that I think about it, so long as it doesn't take over the show, I might could live with that. I could especially live with the idea of Chase and Cameron having something like a drunken post-Christmas party hookup, that House teases them mercilessly about, which makes them join forces against him.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, Screenwriting, Reading, Drama

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 5:09 PM

"I love it!

Although the idea of the writers doing the whole "art imitating life" thing bugs me just a little for some reason, it definitely depends entirely on the execution. And for whatever reason, I have faith that these writers know how to do it a way that won't make me angry and feel like I'm watching The OC.

Edited by DumbBrunette, Jun 16, 2005 @ 5:09 PM.

Britomart

Britomart

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 5:11 PM

Seriously, though? I don't something as big as that or as small as a little drinking under age nonsense. I could picture Cameron just doing something really stupid, like participating in a prank or being in the wrong place at the wrong time when a friend was committing a crime (i.e., joyriding or something of that nature). Cameron strikes me as smart enough not to be the dopey cheerleader who drinks too much, but naive enough to get herself into something stupid and not think about the consequences.

I don't know that they're mutually exclusive, though. While I wasn't even in the same universe as cheerleaders in highschool, I was a honors/AP class-taking, bookworm nerd who moonlighted as a juvenile delinquent and frequently abused alcohol and <small voice> other things </small voice>. The closest I ever came to being arrested for anything, though, was a nuclear protest. Pretty much my entire social circle fit that profile, too, so I can't have been too much of an anomaly.

So, I maintain that any or our speculations thus far could be correct. I'm rooting for your Lisa Simpson theory, though, amysusanne. I can vividly imagine that and can't stop giggling over the idea. Second to that would be Foreman's suggestion that she stabbed a guy in a bar fight. That, though, I can't believe is even remotely possible. It might make her character more interesting to me, though. <snerk>

Do you think we'll ever find out, though? I have a feeling that it was just a throwaway line. Perhaps we should start a speculative betting pool on it...

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 6:03 PM

Although the idea of the writers doing the whole "art imitating life" thing bugs me just a little for some reason, it definitely depends entirely on the execution.

If Jessifer (which I have to admit is pretty funny) were big stars, I think it would bug me, too, especially if they were more "famous than being famous" than talented. But in the greater celebrity stratosphere, they're pretty small fry*, and the only ones who would know that it was art imitating life would be a few of the diehard fans, so that doesn't get to me.

*I tried, I really did, to neither mix the metaphor nor torture it beyond bearing, but I just could't do it.

YourNightmare

YourNightmare

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2005 @ 9:48 AM

I would prefer that the show go every single season with Cameron and/or House having other love interests besides each other. Every season should end with it not working out due to the sexual tension they have for each other that they never act on. The instant those two get together this show is doomed. Sexual tension between main characters is fun, relationships are not.

I'd love to watch Cameron getting green with jealousy when House shows any interest in another woman. Although considering how he is, it'd probably be the woman showing interest in House. On the other side, watching House make snide comments whenever Cameron has a date will be priceless. He'd get under her skin and kill any possible relationship she could ever have.

If there's even a hint that the writers decide to put those two together, I will scream, bandage my eyes and boycott the show.

Edited by YourNightmare, Jun 17, 2005 @ 9:50 AM.