Ghost Whisperer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3712 replies to this topic

bellyache

bellyache

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 10:56 PM

I think there is an easy way to get rid of Aiden, kill off the character. That might sound mean or too harsh, but I just don't like him and I know he won't grow on me.

Also, I am one of those people who don't think getting rid of him, is the same as getting rid of Dean or Sam. Not even close. The kid has only been around since the beginning of this season and isn't the main character like Melinda or Sam/Dean. I don't care about his bloodlines or the legacy or whatever. I just want him gone. There is still so many ways they can continue the story without him. In fact, it could end up being better!

Sorry, I just wanted to vent. I really used to enjoy this show, but having the story center around this kid who can't act, really bugs me.

just watching

just watching

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 11:20 PM

I think there is an easy way to get rid of Aiden, kill off the character. That might sound mean or too harsh, but I just don't like him and I know he won't grow on me.

Also, I am one of those people who don't think getting rid of him, is the same as getting rid of Dean or Sam. Not even close. The kid has only been around since the beginning of this season and isn't the main character like Melinda or Sam/Dean. I don't care about his bloodlines or the legacy or whatever. I just want him gone. There is still so many ways they can continue the story without him. In fact, it could end up being better!

Sorry, I just wanted to vent. I really used to enjoy this show, but having the story center around this kid who can't act, really bugs me.

I grant you one thing: Ghost Whisperer isn't the story of a family like Medium is. Melinda can't deal with Aiden the way Allison deals with Bridgette or Marie, Ned is too old to engage in the same plots as Ariel and "Sam" is no Lee Scanlon so the sparks can't fly regardless the situation like they do fly there. However, Ghost Whisperer can't remain the story of a couple forever and like it or not a child does exist, he may not be Sam or Dean, he may not be Castiel or even Joana Harvelle but you can't get rid of Aiden as if Mel never wanted children or it will be worse than the Jim in Sam's body debacle.

Edited by just watching, Nov 28, 2009 @ 11:25 PM.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 11:51 PM

Sorry guys, I have never seen Supernatural and I tried watching Medium a couple times, but could never make it through a full show.

How about if we can just get the Ghost Whisperer PTB to replace the actor? (although I still want my Melinda and Jim back the way they were.)

And thanks, JLH for the thigh high boots. As always, the outfits should have a show of their own.

Edited by whiteshirtrocks, Nov 28, 2009 @ 11:52 PM.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 12:03 AM

And thanks, JLH for the thigh high boots. As always, the outfits should have a show of their own.

I've never watched Supernatural, Charmed or Medium, so much of the past page or two was completely lost on me. OTOH, this past Thursday I was silently and discreetly thankful for the nightgown JLH was wearing in the "OMG MY CHILD IS MISSING!" scene.

just watching

just watching

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 12:17 AM

How about if we can just get the Ghost Whisperer PTB to replace the actor? ...

It worked for Ned so who knows? Maybe it could work for Aiden as well.

TnTexas

TnTexas

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 8:24 AM

just watching: The thing is that losing the child would be a plot device, not character development, Ghost Whisperer took all this trouble to bring Jim back to life and get Mel pregnant after they couldn't have children, to make sure Aiden was his child and not Sam's and plant all these prophecies that talk about him all the while they take a 5 years jump into the future so "the baby" would be old enough to talk that I really think it would be the final straw for the show to get rid of him.

I can't speak for anyone but myself; but for me adding Aiden was the last straw. I just can't seem to warm up to the character. I don't know if it's the way he's written or the way he's acted or a combination of both; but he's just not gelling for me. Honestly, I don't know what the show can really do at this point though. Killing him off seems like a bit much, and simply not mentioning him next season seems really wrong. That hallway of doors still seems like their best way out of the mess to me. Re-visit Jim's spirit walking down that hallway, choosing a pre-death time to go back into, and erasing last season and this one. But I doubt that's ever going to happen. Whoever thought killing Jim and then adding a child to the storyline were good ideas was crazy. He ought to be fired.

just watching: However, Ghost Whisperer can't remain the story of a couple forever ....

Why not? I know that the show can't remain exactly the same forever, but that need can be dealt with (and has been, unfortunately those storylines have just wound up evaporating) without ever adding a child to the mix.

just watching

just watching

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 11:16 AM

However, Ghost Whisperer can't remain the story of a couple forever and like it or not a child does exist, he may not be Sam or Dean, he may not be Castiel or even Joana Harvelle but you can't get rid of Aiden as if Mel never wanted children or it will be worse than the Jim in Sam's body debacle.

Why not? I know that the show can't remain exactly the same forever, but that need can be dealt with (and has been, unfortunately those storylines have just wound up evaporating) without ever adding a child to the mix.

Point remains a child has been added and for the many reasons stated above I just have to go with whiteshirtrocks here: the best course of action, if any is taken, should be to recast the child, not to get rid of him.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

A couple things:

1. Please keep it about Ghost Whisperer in here. It's okay to occasionally make comparisons to other shows, of course, but that seems to be all that's happened in here lately.

2. STOP REPEATING YOURSELVES. If you've said it once, don't say it again. Period. Everyone has read and knows your perspective, but guess what? They don't have to agree. That's sort of the point.

3. Don't take the temperature of the boards ("I am one of the people who" or "This is probably a minority opinion, but...") before posting. Just state YOUR opinion, and keep the boards and other posters out of it.

If you haven't already, please read the FAQ. If you're still unclear on the rules, you can ask a moderator via email, PM, or in Ye Olde Suggestion Box in the Tech Issues area.

couldhavebee

couldhavebee

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 9:24 PM

Tonight's episode really drove home the point that few things on TV are quite as painful to me as Jamie Kennedy/Eli trying so very hard to be funny and failing so very miserably IMO.

Other than that, the episode was moderately interesting to me, which I guess is the most I can hope for from the show at this stage. As others have said, I really miss that warm/inspired/cheered/amused glow I used to have at the end of most episodes, but I guess hoping to have that again is about as realistic as hoping the writers will ever pick up any of the 10 zillion plot threads and characters they've dropped throughout the series!

Edited by couldhavebee, Dec 4, 2009 @ 9:25 PM.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 9:40 PM

Very solid episode, good suspense, though I felt tempted to say my post was brought to you by GMC Arcadia but it loses something in text that it would otherwise have through the spoken word. Whatever pays the bills, lol.

OTOH, this past Thursday I was silently and discreetly thankful for the nightgown JLH was wearing in the "OMG MY CHILD IS MISSING!" scene.

lol, you're not alone.

Edited by CJohnson, Dec 4, 2009 @ 9:40 PM.

Lady Di 62

Lady Di 62

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 10:17 PM

I don't think I've posted on this thread before. I used to love GW, the first few seasons. Last season lost me quite a bit because of my work schedule at the time I couldn't really keep track of the whole Jim/Sam thing. I was willing to give this season a shot and like others I found myself not at all caring for the kid. So, I made a decision to watch Supernanny instead. That show was off tonight so I fell back on GW. All I could say was how unoriginal of a storyline. The whole cement in the mailbox because of mailbox baseball hijinks was right from original CSI multiple seasons ago. Also, the new car was less of a commercial than that of Medium a few weeks ago, but this entire episode just spoke of being cobbled together from other shows without an original thought throughout the process. I think the best thing is for this show to die this season and for TPTB to learn from this when they move on to other shows: that this many twists and turns to mar an otherwise good product makes viewers go away. I still enjoy watching first season reruns so the entire GW show isn't bad, it's just last season through this season that I simply have no desire to watch. Tonight's epi just hit that home for me.

Elliot52

Elliot52

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 2:34 AM

LoveGW
View Member Profile
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Just Tuned In

Nov 28, 2009 @ 12:58 am Report Post#3501
I honestly don't think the boy is doing a bad job. He's growing into his role and it does NOT seem forced. I thought he did a great job in the last 2 episodes. Also, his eyebrows are not dyed. He has red hair naturally.

I said his "eyelashes" they are white at the base of them. They are dyed.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 10:22 AM

Sorry -- kid is still creepy. Maybe they cast him creepy on purpose.

What did I love about this story? Jim. Lots and lots of Jim. And he wore that luscious gray sweater again. Of course, they still barely touched, but we did get an actual hug at the beginning of the show...and then for some unknown reason they have to invite ELI!?!?!? on their date.

Yes, I have seen this story before, but wasn't suspecting it until the end of the episode. I liked this little episode because it's back on the ghosts and it looks like Melinda and Jim still have an actual relationship vs. living in the same house with a creepy kid.

I'd rate JLH's clothes as normal this week...in comparison to what she normally wears in ghost-town.

Edited by whiteshirtrocks, Dec 5, 2009 @ 10:22 AM.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 1:16 PM

I love how Melinda just waltzes up to random people and they start opening up to her - a total stranger - with their entire, painful, life stories! (But only the parts that are relevant to her in the current episode, heh.) The cop has no trouble discussing what would no doubt have been a painful experience; Anne Marie (who was conveniently standing right outside the school for Melinda to find) was a bit more hesitant but didn't actually stop talking or walk away, giving totally obvious body language to further along Melinda's plot...geez!

I don't know about you guys, but I just had a lot of trouble with last night's episode. It took me until almost the very end to figure out what in the world was going on, and when I did, it just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. There was a scene where Anne Marie and her dad were talking in the living room, implying that something terrible happened and Dad was in the know (i.e. wanting to keep her from the candlelight vigil, her wanting to attend so it wouldn't look suspicious). But then when he saw her in the garage with the bloody bat, he was all, OMG! What'd you do?? The two parts just didn't reconcile with me.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 11:22 PM

OK, did you all see that Melinda has a new truck??? That's important!

Beyond that, I had forgotten about the scene in the living room, but two other things struck me:
  • The ghost had no interest whatsoever in talking to his parents. If it may be in some respects realistic, it's still a far cry from the usual tearjerker ending that is this show's stock in trade. Strange from a storytelling perspective, if nothing else.
  • More importantly, the vandalism went beyond the simple mailbox-bashing. Remember the vision Melinda picked up from (I think) the car? Spray-painting, a flaming torch thrown through the window, the place trashed? And then at the end we have it all resolved down to mailbox-bashing? What happened to the rest of it? I can't imagine that, no matter what an over-protective jerk her father was, an apparently decent girl like Anne Marie would be condoning attempts to burn down her own house.
I did like the part where Melinda characterized Jamie Kennedy doing his usual schtick as "Eli being Eli."

Now, if only they had gotten her a Dodge...

Edited by MarkHB, Dec 5, 2009 @ 11:22 PM.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2009 @ 8:52 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I just had a lot of trouble with last night's episode. It took me until almost the very end to figure out what in the world was going on, and when I did, it just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I watched it earlier today and had the same problem. As you said, the final resolution didn't jibe very well with the reactions of Hendrickson (I recognized him immediately from his stint on Supernatural and can't remember his character's name) in earlier scenes, but I just put my reaction down to me not caring much about what's going on anymore, but at least now I can see that it wasn't just my own disinterest that made things seem a little muddled.

Edited by Rina99, Dec 6, 2009 @ 8:53 PM.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

I love how Melinda just waltzes up to random people and they start opening up to her - a total stranger - with their entire, painful, life stories!

Heh...Haven't you heard...she's got a gift :-)

Maracev1

Maracev1

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2009 @ 3:01 PM

More like two gifts ;)

I caught this episode about 15 minutes late and I really wasn't paying much attention so I honestly don't even know what most of the story was about. It's sad that it's come to this with me and this show. I used to love it.

Jen2000

Jen2000

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2009 @ 12:38 AM

I love how Melinda just waltzes up to random people and they start opening up to her - a total stranger - with their entire, painful, life stories!

And she explains her "gift" in a much briefer and more impatient way than she used to - but everyone still accepts it with hardly any reluctance.

Malif112

Malif112

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 1:51 PM

I think that the main problem I have with Aiden is that he doesn't seem his age. He is supposed to be about 5 years old but the "actor" playing him will be 9 in February. I understand that it's difficult to cast young kids and labor laws, etc. so they usually get people a bit older but he just doesn't seem like a 5 year old. He seems like an old kid trying to play young. And it's distracting. I keep comparing him to my son and my nephew and it just draws me out of the show.

TnTexas

TnTexas

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 6:50 PM

Malif112: I think that the main problem I have with Aiden is that he doesn't seem his age. e is supposed to be about 5 years old but the "actor" playing him will be 9 in February. I understand that it's difficult to cast young kids and labor laws, etc. so they usually get people a bit older but he just doesn't seem like a 5 year old. He seems like an old kid trying to play young. And it's distracting. I keep comparing him to my son and my nephew and it just draws me out of the show.

That's a huge problem for me too. My son will be 7 in February, and I think he comes a lot closer to acting like a five-year-old than Aiden does. Yes, my son's younger than the actor, but the actor was supposedly cast because he could convince people he was a five or six year old; and he's not doing it so far. Don't know if that's because of his abilities, the director's or the writers' though.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2009 @ 12:46 AM

I am not sure where the discussion of whether JLH is still seeing JK left off, but I just got around to watching CBS's Thanksgiving Day Parade coverage, with Jamie doing the "man-in-the-street" interviews, and he not only brought in JLH, but his parents and her mother as well. He said they had been dating about 9 months.

Oh, and to prove that he's not really acting when he performs as Eli, part of his schtick included one entire cutaway devoted to him begging a little girl for a Pringle's, and he also introduced Love as Dora the Explorer.

I am assuming Love's ponytails (yes, two of 'em) were her own idea.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2009 @ 12:53 PM

he not only brought in JLH, but his parents and her mother as well. He said they had been dating about 9 months.

Crud. On a personal basis, I don't care who she dates and hope she is happy, but her personal life almost always reflects on my beloved GW.

lovelyivy

lovelyivy

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 12:06 AM

I am now completely caught up on this show, and wow I am so unhappy with season 5. That kid was a huge mistake. We as members of the audience have no attachment to him, their family unit doesn't seem believable, and I am actively irritated that the producers/writers are wasting time on this storyline instead of finishing the vastly more interesting ones of past seasons. Any of them, hell all of them, were so much more interesting, but couldn't they at least have told us what happened with the smoking hot latino brother (or not)? He had a big bad plan to do... something with the ghosts and keep them on Earth. It was creepy and cool and way more interesting than this shiny/shadows crap.

I remain aggravated by this every time that kid pops up on my screen. Of all the dumb storylines that are ignorable (e-stalker) that is not one of them. It spent a season and a half being absolutely central, and then it disappeared. There has not been one episode of this season that I loved. I barely liked some of them, but that is not enough. I will probably give this show 2 episodes or so to get better, but if it doesn't I am done.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 9:21 AM

Hang in there, lovelyivy, there's a good chance that next year they will have forgotten this year and all will be well again.

just watching

just watching

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 10:17 AM

I am now completely caught up on this show, and wow I am so unhappy with season 5. That kid was a huge mistake. We as members of the audience have no attachment to him, their family unit doesn't seem believable, and I am actively irritated that the producers/writers are wasting time on this storyline instead of finishing the vastly more interesting ones of past seasons. Any of them, hell all of them, were so much more interesting, but couldn't they at least have told us what happened with the smoking hot latino brother (or not)? He had a big bad plan to do...

Good point, all we know is that Gabriel, while indeed Tom Gordon's son, is not Melinda's brother because she ended up being the daughter of Paul Eastman (her mother's boyfriend before she married Gordon) so why on earth is that Gabriel got the gift as her was never explained.

Nor was the reasons why he came to Grandview.

lovelyivy

lovelyivy

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 1:56 PM

Hang in there, lovelyivy, there's a good chance that next year they will have forgotten this year and all will be well again.

Thanks whiteshirtrocks. It is just so very annoying to watch episode after episode focused on this random kid that I could care less about as a viewer, when one of the best storylines they had was never resolved in any way. And now there was a five year jump and no mention of any of it- are we supposed to think Gabriel's plan fizzled out without Tom Gordon? Is he still plotting somewhere in the background? Best case scenario is that maybe the shinies/shadows are a result of his plot, and Melinda's failure to neutralize it.

That said, I have a feeling any hope that they will link this season to plots of past seasons is giving the writers way too much credit. Shades of Charmed indeed.

I actually liked Season 4's Sam/Jim arc. It's what made me start watching the show- I caught a re-run of the episode where he wakes up as Sam and was HOOKED. Thing is, when I watched from the beginning I could totally understand others' frustration with this storyline, because as much as I enjoyed it, they went that direction and abandoned 3 seasons of plot and development to do it. And now this whole kid thing.... ugh. I would almost be willing to support a "Melinda wakes up to find that she is still pregnant and the five-year jump was all a prophetic dream intended to warn her about what could happen if the show hired a kid actor who has no chemistry with any member of the current cast and abandoned its own mythology" thing.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 5:13 PM

I would almost be willing to support a "Melinda wakes up to find that she is still pregnant and the five-year jump was all a prophetic dream intended to warn her about what could happen if the show hired a kid actor who has no chemistry with any member of the current cast and abandoned its own mythology" thing.

BWAH!

So when do we get a new episode -- January?

just watching

just watching

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 6:19 PM

...And now there was a five year jump and no mention of any of it- are we supposed to think Gabriel's plan fizzled out without Tom Gordon? ...

Not to mention there's no information on Professor Rick Payne even though it's been at least 4 years since he must have came back from his sabbatical, the one he was supposed to take to get this whole bunch of information about the shadows (among other things).

Edited by just watching, Dec 21, 2009 @ 6:23 PM.

Jen2000

Jen2000

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2009 @ 10:21 PM

I tivo'd "The Book of Changes" on WE. This was the one where Melinda & Jim were planning their second wedding and Melinda's mom hired an over-the-top wedding planner.

There was one scene where the planner mentioned a horse and carriage for the wedding party and Melinda and Jim were rolling their eyes. During the next commercial break, the first commercial was for a Rich Bride Poor Bride ep and the first line was a bride saying, "I've always dreamed of having a horse and carriage!" Funny coincidence - or WE has a great sense of humor.