Ghost Whisperer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3712 replies to this topic

tobia

tobia

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 6:20 PM

This show already doesn't seem to be doing well:

CBS’s Jennifer Love Hewitt-as-psychic show “Ghost Whisperer” is the least-promising drama with 33.5 percent of the vote. Just over 27 percent chose “Any of the four supernatural dramas,” followed by 18.5 percent for NBC’s “Inconceivable,” 10.4 percent for UPN’s “Sex, Lies & Secrets,” and 6.4 percent for Fox’s “Head Cases.”

and it is founded on

CBS has "Ghost Whisperer," sort of "The Horse Whisperer" but with ghosts. It replaces "Joan of Arcadia," a switch explained this way by CBS honcho Les Moonves: "I think talking to ghosts may skew younger than talking to God.

Link

I might gave it one ep to make sure I'm not missing another gem like Joan, but I doubt I will.

I hate you, Moonves.

xtremesage

xtremesage

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 6:39 PM

I like Jennifer Love Hewitt...

BUT, everytime I think of this show I just imagibe scripts of Medium with the title crossed out and The Ghost Whisperer written above it in crayon.

The title sucks, and it's not very bright to be ripping a show that was a suprise hit the year before.

How wonderful would this have to be to get anywhere close to suceeding with all the odds stacked against it?!

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 6:54 PM

This is totally a Medium-knockoff. And when will networks learn that Jennifer Love Hewitt is not a good actress or a good anchor for a show? The girl is average looking, and the only thing appealing or memorable about her is her knockers.

Les Moonves is a dick.

vicc1978

vicc1978

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 8:16 PM

This is totally a Medium-knockoff.

I don't think so. Medium is mainly a crime drama, but Ghost whisperer has nothing to do with crimes.

Ratingwise it was a rational decision to cancel Joan, because viewership has dropped very hard from last year (and it was getting older and older), but I don't think that this JLH-drama will ocerdo it.

Curly Hair

Curly Hair

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:45 PM

Eh, who cares abour Jennifer Love Hewitt. All I know is that the guy playing her husband, David Conrad, is hot hot hot, and he's a good actor. I hope that this show at least gives him more exposure and makes him somewhat popular so that he could finally get better material, maybe even his own show.

It's all about David for me.

Edited by Curly Hair, Jun 9, 2005 @ 10:46 PM.

hendersonrocks

hendersonrocks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 11:24 PM

I've seen the commercials, and damn...this looks like shit.

Jennifer, honey, your best days were as Sarah on Po5. Learn it, live it, embrace it, love it. Move on.

radioreverie

radioreverie

Fanatic

• Interests:Radiohead, Olivier Messiaen (and modern classical music in general), jazz, psychology, linguistics, traveling, 'avant garde' music/art/film/literature, piano, photography, secular humanism/atheism, liberal politics

Posted Jun 9, 2005 @ 11:37 PM

Hmmm... A mawkishly offensive dramedy about god vs. JLH.

I choose neither!

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 7:23 AM

I've never felt too strongly either way about the great eskimo actor Jennifer Love Hewitt, but I may check this out.

Counse

Counse

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 10:31 AM

Oh. . .dilemmas.

Hate JLH. But David Conrad? Yummy.

Although as a JoA fan I'm still bitter about its premature death. Still I might check this out for the sole purpose of pointing and mocking and laughing. Oh and the DC eye candy.

wounded

wounded

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 11:57 AM

"I think talking to ghosts may skew younger than talking to God."

I really think that that is the stupidest quote I have ever heard, as well as the stupidest observation about television and its viewers. This is the guy in control of one of the Big Four? Blech.

I've never felt too strongly either way about the great eskimo actor Jennifer Love Hewitt

I think I love you, Eegah.

I used to love JLH on Party of Five: my delusional, 14-year-old self thought she was the greatest actress ever and I wanted to be her BFF. Dude, what was I thinking?

Edited by wounded, Jun 10, 2005 @ 11:57 AM.

dkp91576

dkp91576

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:47 PM

I watched the trailer on a regular tv so I could not rewind it, but was that "Satan" from Joan starring in the first episode with Jennifer Love Hewitt?

And isn't he also on that new prison show on Fox?

Oh, and isn't he Mariah's love interest in her "We Belong Together" video?

Kid *Wentworth Miller* gets around.

Edited by dkp91576, Jun 10, 2005 @ 1:00 PM.

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 12:51 PM

All I know is that the guy playing her husband, David Conrad, is hot hot hot, and he's a good actor.

Oooh, David Conrad - as in hot psycho FBI agent guy torturing Max Evans from Roswell, season 1? Love him.

Still not watching this show.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 2:23 PM

I find it funny that the person they're basing JLH's character is this sort of wrinkly 57-year-old woman from Cleveland. They had an article about her in the local paper the other day. How do you go from saying, "Let's base a character on this person" to "Let's have a 20-something PYT with big tits play her!"

BanjoSteve

BanjoSteve

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 4:39 PM

The only thing appealing or memorable about her is her knockers.

But they are oh so appealing and memorable. They're 93% of the reason I plan on giving this show at least one episode to convince me.

tobia

tobia

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 5:14 PM

"Let's base a character on this person" to "Let's have a 20-something PYT with big tits play her!"

Why, by being Les Moonves, of course. However, this does require sticking your head up your ass, though.

I found a preview, and it's bizarre.. It's like the show is trying to be JoA and feeling miserable. JLH had some lines that Amber could have made great ("Not really"), but they just fall flat. "That light.."? Give me a break. Or better yet, a tree. It's a miracle, you know.

Edited by tobia, Jun 10, 2005 @ 5:26 PM.

Sir_Fireboard

Sir_Fireboard

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2005 @ 4:07 AM

The only reason I came into this thread is to see what people were saying about the show that is replacing my precious Joan Of Arcadia, but I'm glad I did, because David Conrad? Yum-My. I was going to watch this anyway because I'm curious as to how craptacular it'll be, but this news makes me want to tune in for totally different reasons.

last minute

last minute

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 8:47 AM

I still can't believe CBS replaced Joan of Arcadia with this crap. However, I actually feel bad for the cast, crew, and everyone else involved with GW, because I think CBS will handle it the same way it handled JoA - initial hype, followed by lack of or crappy promotion, tinkering with storylines and stunt casting to get younger viewers, then cancelling it when that fails. It's just a matter of whether it's one season or two before Moonves decides talking to aliens/animals/trees will skew younger than talking to ghosts.

coffeegrounds

coffeegrounds

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2005 @ 9:28 PM

I still can't believe CBS replaced Joan of Arcadia with this crap. However, I actually feel bad for the cast, crew, and everyone else involved with GW, because I think CBS will handle it the same way it handled JoA - initial hype, followed by lack of or crappy promotion, tinkering with storylines and stunt casting to get younger viewers, then cancelling it when that fails. It's just a matter of whether it's one season or two before Moonves decides talking to aliens/animals/trees will skew younger than talking to ghosts.

Interesting point, last minute. I've automatically decided I won't be tuning into this show just because its the one that replaced JoA. I didn't bother considering the cast and crews feelings for this show but now do a little because they weren't the ones who made this awful decision.

Still won't be watching, though.

azathoth

azathoth

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2005 @ 8:14 PM

I saw a commercial for this dreck over the weekend. It looked like they took the basic concept of Dead Like Me (young woman guides the souls of the newly departed to the Other Side), sucked out all the humor, and replaced it with Touched By An Angel brand treacle. Ugh. Does CBS actually think this will skew younger than Joan?

Seriously. They actually cancelled Joan of Arcadia for this shit? Are you fucking kidding me?

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2005 @ 8:37 PM

When I first read that CBS had ordered a pilot for this show, I said "If CBS cancels Joan of Arcadia and picks up this show, I will never watch that network again on general principle" and they not only canceled JoA, and picked up this turd, it is actually JoA's replacement.

CBS is making it easy to keep my promise because I don't even want to see an episode of this out of morbid curiosity (and I even watched an episode of that Britney shit for that reason). This show just looks like ten kinds of ass.

JLH does have an impressive rack, but that's about all she has to offer. I wish she'd stick to Maxim spreads and stop "acting."

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2005 @ 3:52 PM

I thought many Christians believed that as well.... At least in St. Augustin (sp?)'s works it is clear that repenting isn't enough. Nothing's enough unless you're chosen by God.

I think there are so many different "beliefs" that you simply cannot satisfy everyone. The show sucked hard, anyway, though.

azathoth

azathoth

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2005 @ 8:30 PM

It's probably just the conservative conspiracy nut in me, but I am getting very suspicious about the way CBS is running 60 Minutes II reruns in Joan's old timeslot, so much so that I wonder if they even care if this Ghost Whisperer crap tanks, or indeed, if they are counting on it. CBS News and 60 Min II took a lot of flack over the whole Bush National Guard story fiasco, and with the show's lousy ratings it was hard to justify keeping it around. But I bet it really galled them to do that, so they took it off the Fall schedule, axed Joan (their lowest rated show) and replaced it with GW. When this crap tanks in the ratings, it will go "on hiatus" for November sweeps and be replaced with 60 Min II, which as a news show would be relatively easy to bring back and which would probably compete better against fellow news magazine Dateline. If it does even marginally better that GW, it will stay in the slot permanently and Jennifer Love Hewitt will be looking for work again.

Juliebijoux

Juliebijoux

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 10:30 PM

I think that the recent episode of Six Feet Under mentioned GW. Ruth (the mom) is at a party and talking to a b-level actor who explains that, "I just did an episode of Jennifer Love Hewitt's new show" and Ruth was like, "Oh. that's nice." I love Ruth and the creators of SFU. The whole scene was awesome with mediocrity, with the remark about JLH being the final touch.

last minute

last minute

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 8:40 AM

I stated earlier that I felt bad for those involved with GW, and I still do. This show might have the biggest uphill climb of any new show this fall. They are under tremendous pressure not just to do well, but to be very successful in a tough time slot. Not only that, but it's been two months since they've been picked up to replace Joan of Arcadia, and viewers and the media are still questioning and criticizing CBS's decision. I've heard the argument that people were skeptical about Joan initially so GW could take off too, but by and large the critics liked Joan and it was also a concept that could draw in the viewers of one of CBS's cancelled shows (Touched by an Angel). Critics are lukewarm about this show at best, and while I could be wrong about this, I don't think the majority of Joan fans are at all interested in GW. They need to get much better ratings and demos (from a group of people that's not home at that time) than Joan did, or the questions will continue and they may find themselves unemployed next May.

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 10:09 AM

I try to feel sorry for JLH - she certainly didn't sign up for something like this and couldn't have possibly known that at this point people would still be questioning the decision to pick up her show.

But then she's described as a giggle-box at the press conference for his show (even giggling at things that don't call for giggling) and she's answering questions about how much she likes doing close-ups and how hot her tv husband is. It all just makes me groan and rub my forehead a lot.

last minute

last minute

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 10:29 AM

Check out TV Guide's Michael Ausiello's diary from the TCA's:

Ghost Whisperer

4:10 Although they've been on stage for all of 10 seconds, I'm willing to bet boy-crazy Jennifer Love Hewitt has already made a play for her near-flawless leading man, Miss Match's David Conrad. It's just a hunch.

4:12 Someone asks J.L.H. about her acting technique and not a single reporter laughs. Now that, ladies and gentleman, is restraint.

4:23 Would someone please tell me how it is that Aisha Tyler went from Friends to Nip/Tuck to 24 to CSI to the role of J.Luv's sidekick on this sappy CBS drama? Clearly Chris Gorham is not the only one with an agent problem.

4:25 I catch J.L.H. making googily eyes at Hottie Conrad. I knew it!

4:29 Now Aisha Tyler's flirting with Hottie. J.L.H. pretends not to notice. Damn, this is getting good.

4:35 Hottie starts to take off his jacket and J.L.H. reaches over to help him.

4:41 When a reporter notes the parallels between Whisperer and NBC's Medium, particularly where the show's central couples are concerned, J.L.H. declares, "My husband is prettier!" I rest my case

Lizziedrew

Lizziedrew

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 11:15 AM

The concept of the show, while not terribly original, could be intriguing in the right hands. The right actress-- heck, Aisha Tyler would be better in the lead role than supporting-- could make this a pretty interesting show. JLH is not that actress.

Jennifer? Giggling + Squinting does not = ACTING. Also, your rack is not that great.

MysteryBoy

MysteryBoy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2005 @ 9:58 PM

Ok...I saw the pilot. Its schmaltzy, saccharine, predictable. And it made me tear up. Its not half-bad. Jennifer Love Hewitt is a good crier...almost on par with Amber Tamblyn. Wentworth Miller as the ghost in the pilot...will make you cry. No way near the calibre of "Joan of Arcadia," but there's no denying why CBS would pick it up.

xtremesage

xtremesage

Posted Jul 27, 2005 @ 7:14 PM

OK, so I expected to hate it, and I actually thought it was really good. In fact the pilot is probably stronger than the pilot for Medium.

Unlike Medium Melinda's gift is much more straight forward. She can see and talk to ghosts. There's none of the symbolism, or metaphoric dreams, or any of the stuff that I find a little frustrating about Medium.

Jennifer Love Hewitt's hair does look like ass for the duration though. But to make up for that, her husband is really hot (David Conrad, whom I vaguely remember torturing Max on Roswell).

The acting all around is susprisingly decent, even from Love Hewitt who sells it pretty well.

Edited by xtremesage, Jul 27, 2005 @ 7:13 PM.

mcree

mcree

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2005 @ 3:31 AM

I liked this brief bit by Tim Goodman

they've given Hewitt some horrendously bad hair and emphasized -- to the point of absurdity -- her breasts in nearly every scene. That distracts you from the dialogue for only a moment. And this is an hour long.

I don't think that'll be enough to get me to watch.