I just finished watching the last of Season Four and I've got to say that I feel underwhelmed. Season Four is hands down the worst season of Alias to me. It feels so...amateuresque.
Season 3 keeps going up in my estimation since it keeps becoming the most believable and intriguing of the three seasons (1 and 2 are classic for the SD-6 arc and the "Sloane pursuit" arcs but Season 3 was an attempt to build a new Mythology).
Season 4 is nothing but rehash. Worse, it's warmed over rehash.
1. SG-6/APO is the first big mistake. Putting Sloane in charge was patently ridiculous and while I was able to buy it, the worst part of it though was the fact that the base looked so artificial. Who the HELL works in an all-white base? It looks like it's the cast headquarters for Star Trek or Willy Wonka's Wonkavision? All the other bases looked like real places.
2. Vaughn and Sydney without obstacles=the Snore. Seriously, the whole focus on Vaughn and Sydney without Will or Lauren is completely pointless and I didn't get why there was any problem with them getting back together. It's somewhat like Nadia and Weiss. They're a great couple. Why? Because they're compatible and there's nothing whatsoever bad about their relationship.
3. The whole relationships of the arc are too damned compatible! Jack/Syd, Nadia/Sloane, Nadia/Syd, Dixon/Sloane, Sloane/Syd. Damnit, everyone is getting along! Hell, Jack/Irena. This is the worst offender. Jack may love irena but he will never forgive or forget and will always hate her...that's why it works. That's why it's INTERESTING goddamnit. Director Chase and Dixon? FUCK! It's like the happily ever after season!
Show me something WRONG, SICK, and NASTY. Show me Nadia/Jack! Show me some Sloane with Vaughn's new girlrfriend! Weiss/Syd!
4. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was watching ANIME. What the hell is up with the whacked out plots? The Ice plot, the Red Ball of Goo over the Russian city, I swear to God when is Magneto going to show up? The brainwave bit was ridiculous last season but the Arvin Clone 'brain copy' and beees business couldn't make this any more fantasy based than if Jack sent Syndey undercover in Mordor.
5. Why is everything so damned funny? Arvinclone spoken by Syd, the played for laughs removal of an eyeball by Marshall, and EVERYTHING rang false. Season 3 was arguably the most realistic in people's reactions but here...it's ugh.
6. The Covenant. The "oops, the Covenant and K-Directorate went up in smoke" business is just plain wrong storytelling. It basically just magically WOOSHES away important plotlines. The Covenant was set up to be a massive organization rivalling SD-6 and then suddenly it's gone? UGH.
7. Sark....he just humiliated himself here and I don't honestly know why. Maybe it was BEING GOOD.
8. Good Arvin? What the...?
9. Good Irena....What the?
10. I mentioned Arivin Clone. I don't mind the fact that they used a plotline like this. What I mind is that they didn't do anything with it and it was stupid. There's a thousand more interesting plots that could have been done from someone impersonating Sloane to the idea Sloane was using an actor to one of my favorites....Sloane's brother.
11. Bill Vaughn....NOWHERE.
12. La Femme Nadia....her background somehow gets even MORE stereotypical than she's an orphan recruited into the secret service. Now she's a sexuall molested Syd clone that also is Nikita. Couldn't think of a BETTER SHOW's idea?
13. Rehash all round. Did I mention that?
This season, all in all, is utter crap.
Edited by Willowhugger, Aug 10, 2005 @ 2:38 AM.