Challenge Chatter

• Please log in to reply

209 replies to this topic

whippletheduck

whippletheduck

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 2:15 AM

Challenges this season have been awful. Virtually no water based challenges, and nothing that was truely an EPIC.

People still remember CHARIOTS OF FIRE from Season 3, or the long o-ring race in Season 10 as epic challenges and there was nothing like that this time around.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

They couldn't do any water challenges, apparently of the water issues. [Colby explained that during his interviews and the reunion].

Boy. I don't remember Chariots of Fire from Africa. I am drawing a complete and utter blank. However, since my summers are long and Survivor-less, I will do a re-re-re-re-rewatch and then I'll be all, "YAH!"

But I do agree with you. For doing all classic challenges, and using all the Brazil, Gabon, and Samoa ones, with a few China and FvF? Boring.

My major disappointment: no "Ultimate Survivor Quiz" and not the weak one we got in ASS [as I got all of them right]. But a really brain scratcher one. [I would have paid good money to see Russell trying to name the first person voted off in every season].

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 12:26 AM

Hey, guess what I just noticed? The maze from the final challenge this season is an exact copy of the one from Amazon, aside from having a "corner" removed for the new entrance/exit path.

I'm guessing that these "innovative challenges" we're going to see next season will turn out to be nothing more than revamps of old challenges, like how they handled the overused Chimney Sweep challenge this season. Hopefully, we'll have a couple of challenges in the Tribal phase that don't rely on scoring points or doing some physical crap then solving a puzzle.

You know what would be an awesome way of doing Survivor Trivia? Give them all a question with a numerical answer (eg. How many hidden Immunity Idols have been found over the years? or How many different players have won at least one individual Immunity Challenge?), then have them answer it. Whoever is farthest away from the correct answer is out, until only one person is left.

Boy. I don't remember Chariots of Fire from Africa. I am drawing a complete and utter blank. However, since my summers are long and Survivor-less, I will do a re-re-re-re-rewatch and then I'll be all, "YAH!"

That's because there was no Chariots Of Fire challenge in Africa. Or ever. The closest is Chariots Of Mire, the opening Immunity Challenge from Fiji.

Boulder Dash is one of the stupidest challenges ever.

Is that really that surprising, after some of the other challenges he chose?

Edited by raceguy120390, May 18, 2010 @ 12:37 AM.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 3:25 AM

Counting every possible theoretical reference to previous seasons (ie. though the final maze was definitely more a reference to Amazon's than anything else, I'm also counting it under Fiji and Tocantins for the "blindfolded maze" aspect), here's the final tally for the challenges of Heroes Vs. Villains. If two or more seasons have the same number of rehashes, I'm listing the newest one first:

Tocantins: 7 challenge rehashes
A Crate Idea (Episode 2), Rope-A-Dope (Episode 6), Basketbrawl (Episode 7 Reward), Chimney Sweep (Episode 9 Reward), Get A Grip (Episode 10), Pacific Shuffle (Episode 11 Reward), Blind Maze (Episode 14 Immunity #2)
Cook Islands: 5 rehashes
Lock & Load, Light (Episode 1 Immunity) [x2 for puzzle from different CI challenge], Caught In The Web (Episode 7 Immunity, puzzle only), Get A Grip (Episode 10), Pass The Bucket (Episode 13 Reward)
Samoa: 4 rehashes
Roll With It (Episode 4 Immunity), Schmergen Brawl (Episode 5 Reward), Caught In The Web (Episode 7 Immunity, puzzle only), Fauxconut Bowling (Episode 8 Reward)
Fiji: 4 rehashes
Sumo'an Mud (Episode 3), Slip, Slide & Score (Episode 4 Reward), Chimney Sweep (Episode 9 Reward), Blind Maze (Episode 14 Immunity #2)
Gabon: 3 rehashes
House Of Cards (Episode 11 Immunity), Pegatory Knockout (Episode 12 Immunity #2, puzzle only), Keep It Up (Episode 13 Immunity)
Vanuatu: 3 rehashes
Strung Out (Episode 9 Immunity), Get A Grip (Episode 10), Pacific Shuffle (Episode 11 Reward)
Guatemala: 3 rehashes
Rope-A-Dope (Episode 6), Caught In The Web (Episode 7 Immunity), Mud Slide (Episode 8 Immunity)
Panama/Exile Island: 2 rehashes
Battle Dig (Episode 1 Reward), Pegatory Knockout (Episode 12 Immunity #2)
Palau: 2 rehashes
Sumo'an Mud (Episode 3), Pegatory Knockout (Episode 12 Immunity #2, puzzle only)
All-Stars: 2 rehashes
Blind Cube Crisis (Episode 5 Immunity), When It Rains (Episode 12 Immunity #1)
Amazon: 2 rehashes
Pacific Shuffle (Episode 11 Reward), Blind Maze (Episode 14 Immunity #2)
Africa: 2 rehashes
Caught In The Web (Episode 7 Immunity), When It Rains (Episode 12 Immunity #1)
Micronesia: 1 rehash
When It Rains (Episode 12 Immunity #1)
China: 1 rehash
Offer It Up (Episode 14 Immunity #1)
Pearl Islands: 1 rehash
Caught In The Web (Episode 7 Immunity, puzzle only)
Thailand: 1 rehash
Blind Cube Crisis (Episode 5 Immunity, puzzle only)
Outback: 1 rehash
Pegatory Knockout (Episode 12 Immunity #2, puzzle only)
Marquesas, Borneo: No rehashes

Interesting to note the season with the most All-Stars rehashes (Marquesas) has the fewest rehashes, but the one with the most Heroes Vs. Villains rehashes (Cook Islands) has the second most. Also, it's really surprising how so few of Outback's challenges, so lauded at the time, have been recycled since. It only had one rehash in All-Stars (the fire/water seesaw challenge) and one in FvF (the auction).

jkalderash

jkalderash

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 1:11 PM

I've been meaning to say, raceguy, your challenge guide is awesome. So much effort! I think I wouldn't have made it through all of those.

khaavren

khaavren

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2010 @ 2:25 AM

So, tonight's challenge (the barrels with balls being tossed on them) could have been more entertaining. I'd have mandated that the survivors each take a turn throwing a ball. That could have been hilarious.

whippletheduck

whippletheduck

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2010 @ 7:32 AM

That's because there was no Chariots Of Fire challenge in Africa. Or ever. The closest is Chariots Of Mire, the opening Immunity Challenge from Fiji.

If you ever get a chance to watch episode 1 of Survivor Africa, the very first IC is called "Chariots of Fire", it was a really good, epic challenge, where each tribe had to push a wagon with torches and a brazier on it around a very long course. There were stations that had they had to stop and light a torch on top of the brazier. Halfway thru the course, there was a big hill that one person from each tribe had to climb to light a torch up at the top before the tribe could continue.

It was a close challenge, with Samburu tribe pulling out at the end as Boran tribe faded at the very end.
Survivor Africa Ep 1 IC

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 2:23 AM

If you ever get a chance to watch episode 1 of Survivor Africa, the very first IC is called "Chariots of Fire"

Nope. As both the challenge guide and the CBS website recap of the episode state, it's called "Trail Blazer".

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 2:44 AM

I could have sworn the preview for this season said the challenges were some of the best ever. It's a shame the only real decent challenge we've had all season was the giant carnival wheel/dunk tank thing. This season's challenges really... have not been very good at all.

JayKwik

JayKwik

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 2:57 AM

I'll agree that they've been disappointing but at least they were new for the most part.

How many of them have been recycled from past seasons? Tonight's challenge was in Thailand but I can't remember any other recycled challenges used this season.

khaavren

khaavren

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 3:02 AM

Can anyone else remember a challenge that was so themed to the product placement reward?

The closest I can get is the various construction challenges where they won tools.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2010 @ 12:25 AM

Nope. The closest the challenge guide has are indeed the "build something with Home Depot tools" challenges.

In other news, said guide is now linked to on Wikipedia, on multiple Survivor seasonal pages (admittedly, mostly the sparse foreign seasons' pages, but also Africa's page).

danheaton

danheaton

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2010 @ 1:19 PM

I think one of the major problems is the lack of water challenges, with the exception of the small man-made pool. They shouldn't have the show at locations where the water wasn't safe to use for challenges. It really limits what they can do with the challenges.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 11:41 PM

How many of them have been recycled from past seasons? Tonight's challenge was in Thailand but I can't remember any other recycled challenges used this season.

Most of the challenges this season were generic "do this to get puzzle pieces, then solve the puzzle" efforts, so I'm not sure they can truly be called original, but the Gulliver's Travels challenge was from Thailand, the episode 2 challenge was Drum Roll from China, there was a Stupid Leading The Blind challenge, the Plinko one was a tribal rehash of the final challenge from Tocantins, the double Tribal Council episode's challenge was basically a lamer version of the catapult challenge first seen in Africa, episode 10's reward challenge was the log-holding challenge from Samoa (except this time the players themselves were the logs), the F7 IC was from Guatemala (it was the challenge Steph won), and the F6 IC was from Gabon.

Waitohooru

Waitohooru

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 3:30 PM

I think the challenge designers need to watch all three seasons of the Total Drama cartoon series. The challenges each episode seem to be unique, albeit a bit life-threatening. Yep, you won't find any generic "collect the puzzle pieces and put them together" challenges on Total Drama!

orangepenguin

orangepenguin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 12:45 AM

I really like the elaborate fire making individual immunity challenges and also the "Fallen Comrades" ind. immunity challenges from the early seasons. I wish they would do those again.

Also, I wish they brought back to the "keep hand on Idol-how much do you want this" Final Immunity that was in 1-4. I know other FIC were similar, but this one is just so simple, yet shows who wants in the most (unless they are Kathy and get distracted)

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 12:03 AM

Is it just me, or are they pissing out of even trying to create fun new challenges this season?

jkalderash

jkalderash

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 1:11 AM

Last week's immunity challenge (staircase) was awesome. And this week's (fish skeleton) wasn't too bad. It's the Redemption Island challenges that have been mind-numbingly awful.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 4:42 AM

We're an episode behind down here in Australia, so I haven't seen the fish one yet, but the staircase one was a near-exact repeat from Thailand.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 8:09 AM

Here's a question: Probst has openly said the reason they're recycling challenges for Redemption isn't because of the budget, it's because they're known to work. But don't they have challenge testers to ensure that? And if they're insistent on challenges with good track records (understandable since the new challenges of the past few seasons were shockers), why not import some from the foreign versions? You'd have the same sense of security, but without the stunning lack of excitement viewers experience when seeing the cardhouse challenge for the third time in six seasons. The South Africans in particular have had some kickass ideas in their past two seasons.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 7:11 AM

I know we're only one episode and a preview into this season, but it looks like the challenge producers were basically ordered to stop phoning it in this time, which is nice.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 12:44 AM

I've really liked the non-recycled challenges this season. Sure, the "second chance" one sucked like you wouldn't believe, and we've basically lost half of the season because of the recycled duels (although the shuffleboard one was a nice new variation on an old theme), but the rest of them have been pretty good. And I love that they finally brought back the Survivor Chessboard challenge. It's been far too long.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 12:06 AM

Well, there is no way I could have climbed that wall and untied the bags at the same time. Nope, couldn't do it. I'm probably in the minority on this one though.

Edited by ByaNose, Dec 15, 2011 @ 12:07 AM.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

It's a shame two Immunity Challenges already this season that didn't really matter, and that the contestants have sucked so much, because in terms of challenges this is seriously the best start to a season we've had since at least Guatemala. Simple ideas, executed fairly well, without too much repetition. Although I really, really wish they'd lay off the "caller guides blindfolded pairs around" challenge for a few seasons.

And it's the first time we've had a separate Episode 2 reward challenge since China, which helps, even if it was a Probst-less one. (Actually, that probably goes in its favour.)

Edit: Full challenge analysis of the first four One World episodes.

Edited by SnideAsides, Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:39 AM.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

The challenge guide's being updated a few seasons at a time, starting with Nicaragua, the two RI seasons, and One World.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

The 3 way smashing the pots was a great challenge. The wrecking ball shot of corn/rice (which was it?) pot getting smashed on the down end was AWESOME! Usually, you tell it's been edited from another time or location. This time while the down shot was shown by itself everyones reaction was all at once. It was so suspenseful. It must have been a fast challenge because they usually do a time clock. Here it was non stop action. It was well done and didn't involve a puzzle.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 12:44 AM

Weren't we supposed to be getting more water challenges this season?

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Jeff Probst said they had so much rain that they had to move a lot of the challenges onto land. So far, there has been around 3 or so in the water.

hamsammich229

hamsammich229

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

So, with last night's immunity challenge, the knot untying challenge, could one of the tribe members bring a knife with them and just cut all of the knots or are they not allowed to do so?

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

Did Jeff say that they had to 'untie the knots' or did he say 'undo the knots' ?