Lost Online: Virtual Clues or just more confusion?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3660 replies to this topic

gingerblue

gingerblue

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 10:41 PM

This is a topic for the potential LOST online puzzles that are rumoured to be starting up over the summer (similar to the ones for the film AI and Alias, as well as that Push, Nevada thing...)

BlackCorduroy

BlackCorduroy

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 11:29 PM

I don't know if this is old or new.. but I was sent a link to this website:

http://www.oceanic-a...eatingchart.htm

Click on 4,8,15,16,23 and 42 in that order and a movie plays

It seems to be a huge file, because it starts and stops on my computer, but someone with a superfast connection should be able to see it better.

Daniel

Daniel

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 1:09 PM

Thread reopened due to massive popularity of discussing the online Lost experience. Go, gingerblue, it's your birthday! Discuss all manner of Lost websites, official or un-.

raspberrytea

raspberrytea

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 1:57 PM

I just saw the video. So awesome. I got a pretty good internet connection so I saw what seemes to be a volcano eruption. I am pretty sure I saw Sawyer and Jin but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. For those that have not seen the video the captions read: "They survived on Luck..They Survived on Instinct..But on the other side of the island...They will discover..they are not the survivors..they are NOT the survivors..They are Not the survivors..NOT..They will discover they are not the survivors they think they are"

To find the vide you need to click the actually numbers on the rows not the seats

Edited by raspberrytea, May 30, 2005 @ 1:59 PM.

gingerblue

gingerblue

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 2:27 PM

*laugh* Thank you! (It actually was my birthday this past week).

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 3:40 PM

We did see Sawyer and Jin, but I think it's old footage.

For extra fun, click on all the seats in the aforementioned rows, and then play the "click every damn thing you can" game. After you're done with that, got ot the main Oceanic Air site and fiddle with the announcements box.

Manchot

Manchot

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 4:04 PM

Interesting. I did a whois lookup on the DriveShaft band page as well as the Oceanic Air page. The Driveshaft one was registered through a domain name proxy service, so chances are that it's not authentic. However, the Oceanic Air one was not registered to ABC (as I expected). It actually listed "Oceanic Air, Inc." as the holder. It also left some interesting contact info...

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Oceanic Airlines, Inc. tech@oceanic-air.com
23 Airport Loop
Los Angeles, CA 90045
US
800-555-0199

The phone number is a 555, so it's obviously fake. I just sent a test email to the address listed, and it has yet to be bounced back, so it might be the site admin's real address. Anyone who lives in LA know anything about where 23 Airport Loop is? (aside from the fact that it's near the airport, of course)

ivylecat

ivylecat

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 4:35 PM

The Oceanic website may be registered under Oceanic Airlines Inc, but the terms of use and privacy links send you straight to a very real Walt Disney Internet Group/ABC legal-speak page. I guess they will take the illusion only so far.

ETA it just occurred to me that when you click on Charlie’s seat the second time and Claire’s journal comes up, that the person whose face had been scribbled out isn’t Charlie (no cameras on the island), it must be Claire’s baby’s daddy. For some reason this hadn’t occurred to me before and I was trying to interpret some hidden reason as to why Charlie would be scribbled out.

Also, what do people think about using spoiler tags or not to post about the things that we discover?

Edited by ivylecat, May 30, 2005 @ 4:45 PM.

Scat

Scat

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 4:41 PM

There's some obscured messages on the website:

Robert D. West, of Santa Barbara, California, USA survived a horrific plane crash and is stranded on an island somewhere Northeast of Australia and Southwest of Hawaii. In the event that I am never found, please forward word of my fate to parents, Mr. and Mrs. John West, of Tucson Arizona. Thank you.

Robert

If anyone should find this message,  please get word to Sandra Rafflethorpe of Palm Avenue in Lewiston,  Idaho that her sister,  Sally is alive and stranded on an island somewhere in the South Pacific.  Please send help soon.  Things are bad.  And they're getting worse...

This is Bob Jones, of Tulsa Oklahoma and I would like to inform the First National Bank of Enid
that I will be late making my September mortgage payment as I am STRANDED ON A FRIGGIN’
ISLAND IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!  Please have the government send a search team
immediately or don’t all the taxes I pay cover an expense like that?

BJ

If you are reading this note PLEASE get word to my wife, Christina Smith that her husband,
Jake survived the crash of Oceanic Flight #815 along with 47 others. 
Darling, I miss you so much and dream of the day I can see your face again. 
The very thought of that day is all that keeps me going here. Please don’t forget me!

Jake Smith

That form on the front page probably does something if you put in the right numbers for flight 815.

There's also this website: http://www.oceanicflight815.com/

Edited by Scat, May 30, 2005 @ 5:03 PM.

Big Machine

Big Machine

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 5:27 PM

The map in French (Danielle's I assume) has a marking at the very top of the island that says "The Crater" in French. That adds to the volcano theory, or maybe an asteroid or something crashed into the island...

psydrama

psydrama

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 5:49 PM

there is no Airport Loop in LA - there is an Airport Ave, but no #23

triciajoy

triciajoy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 6:13 PM

justsmile over on the media mentions thread (where this sort of began) was able to get some still shots of the ID of the marshall and such. Anyone with some saavy able to get a blow up of Claire's diary? Or a still so I could at least get a magnifying glass and see what I can come up with?

I took some notes on Sayid's info and here's what I can see:
Surname: Jarrah
Father name: Hassan
Born 17/1/69 Baghdad, IRAQ

Also, that noise for Locke? Christ. It's driving my poor dog crazy. (Me, too, but he keeps jumping up and checking to make sure I'm not dead or something.) I keep trying to skip the one when it comes up, but then it won't give me any more.

Also...what is the weird thing when I get to Jack? It keeps flipping from Oceanic 815 to Oceanic 777 and the seats (or the page?) seem to sort of refresh? Is he an angel or something. I find all this weird since he was originally supposed to die in the first episode.

Cione

Cione

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 6:31 PM

Also...what is the weird thing when I get to Jack? It keeps flipping from Oceanic 815 to Oceanic 777

I think 777 is the type of plane they were in. 815 is the flight number.

raspberrytea

raspberrytea

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 6:58 PM

Even if 777 was thetype of plane, why did it only show up when Jack's Seat is clicked? Did anyone else watch the video (which I have watched atleast 20 times now) and see the red waves (which I initially thought was a volcano). Something on the other side of the island must change them or maybe some of them get "sick" like Danielle's people.

I would like to make the sugguestion that none of this realy needs to be spoiler tagged because its not like the writers of the show are actually going to give anything away.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 7:32 PM

I got a screenshot of the Claire's diary entry that pops up when you click Charlie's seat. I'm trying to make out what it says but the writing is very small and hard to read.

From what I can tell, it is the entry she wrote before getting on the plane. "So writing at the airport is always (something) fun, not. Toilets are really really gross and I have to go every 10 seconds. Stupid baby! I shouldn't say that."

She says she hopes to sleep on the plane (ha!) because she couldn't sleep the previous night because she was nervous.

Then after that it gets harder to read. I think some of the stuff is scratched out? It sounds like she asked to move to 'higher" class and they said they were full. I think the last bit is "...bet he's full of it too." Then there's an arrow to the photo.

JerseyGirl291

JerseyGirl291

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 7:47 PM

I also watched the video promo like twenty times today. Can anyone tell whose eye that is? Also, why is it that we can only get the seats for Charlie, Jack, Kate, Locke, Shannon, Boone, the Marshall, and Rose? Is it because we’ve seen them on the plane before Exodus, or is it because of some other special reason? And why are Kate and Rose's squares red?

Edited by JerseyGirl291, May 30, 2005 @ 7:52 PM.

Melewen

Melewen

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 7:51 PM

I got some screen caps that I'll post in a bit. I was able to get a pretty good one of Claire's diary.

So waiting at the airport is
always such fun. not.  Toilets
are really really gross too, &
I have to pee like
every 10 seconds.  Stupid
baby!  I shouldn't say that...
Hope to sleep as much
as I can on the plane. so
nervous last night I didn't
sleep, couldnt

---

I hate the steward dude
at the desk thingy before you
get on the plane -
no you must certainly not
move to a "higher" class -
we are too full & suck(?) all
ass about it.  bet he's full
of it too!

scout88

scout88

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 8:24 PM

So who is Edward Mars?

TweetyBird

TweetyBird

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 8:38 PM

I think Edward Mars is the marshall.

mom2tee

mom2tee

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 8:46 PM

I missed the volcano deal. Could be what the prisoners on the ship were shielding their eyes from? Or a meteor?

I have had a great time playing around on the website. For some reason I can never get Rose's seat to come up.

Vodka for Jack? Russian vodka? His Dad's drinking problem or his own hidden one?

And I thought the show left me scratching my head!

konamouse

konamouse

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 8:53 PM

The airline attendant gave Jack a couple of extra little bottles of vodka when he asked for a drink. He still had them in his pocket after the crash, and used them to sterilize his back wound before he got Kate to stitch it up.

liisakris

liisakris

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 9:01 PM

Okay I'm having a dumb moment and I can't get the individual seat things to open up - anyone give me a hand?

ETA: Never mind, dumb moments over I got it

Edited by liisakris, May 30, 2005 @ 9:08 PM.

Manchot

Manchot

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 9:07 PM

Well, someone at 4815162342.com said that they emailed the webmasters of the DriveShaft website, who confirmed that they are not affiliated with ABC in any way, and that they're just big fans. However, there is some speculation that they are just lying, since the site was registered on September 24, 2004, a mere two days after the Pilot.

garota

garota

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 9:12 PM

Can anyone tell whose eye that is?

I'm pretty sure it's Jack's eye. I think it's from how the first episode started, with a close-up of his eye as he came to.

As for...

And why are Kate and Rose's squares red?

I think it's because the other people's seats light up when you click on the magic numbers. But Kate and Rose's seat light up when you click on other people's seats. That's my theory anyway.

liisakris, I'm not sure why you're having trouble opening up the seats. First you have to click on a seat (any seat) within the rows that correspond with the magic numbers, and then the seats light up. Then I just clicked (or maybe you have to double-click? I can't remember), and you get the things people are talking about. If you click on Shannon and Charlie's seats a second time, you get something different. Not sure if that helps you at all.

Manchot

Manchot

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 9:16 PM

Also, this directory has all of the images associated with the people, in case you can't get any to work.

On a side note, the "red version" of Edward Mars' ID card is going to give me nightmares.

Maya de Mayo

Maya de Mayo

Video Archivist

• Interests:Obsessing over Lost (RIP), Carnivale (RIP), Veronica Mars (RIP), John from Cincinnati (RIP), Sons of Anarchy and Flight of the Conchords (RIP)(Bretaholic), TAR, Justified, Game of Thrones, Vikings, Orphan Black

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 9:56 PM

Also, this directory has all of the images associated with the people, in case you can't get any to work.

One of the Kate images says she is "Katherine Dodd". Yikes. BTW, thanks for posting the link.

Melewen

Melewen

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 9:58 PM

Here are the screencaps I mentioned before. I named them based on whose seat you click on to see the image.

There is also a supposed script page on the reservations page that has a possible description of the monster. (It's the pink sheet)

Manchot beat me to it. Oh well...

Edited by Melewen, May 30, 2005 @ 10:05 PM.

schoff

schoff

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 11:59 PM

Did anyone get a screencap for the airplane? I noticed once that it lit up too, but couldn't get it to do anything because nothing I do on that site works.

ETA: I also find it odd that the phrase "le long des gulfes claires" is repeated so often (3 times), especially when there's a survivor named Claire. Babel translates the phrase to mean "along the clear gulfs."

Edited by schoff, May 31, 2005 @ 12:13 AM.

schoff

schoff

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 2:07 AM

2 hours later...

Hey! I found out what the plane is! It's Kate's toy plane and seems to be a near identical match to the plane diagram it overlaps!

And I got the Oceanic 777 / Oceanic 815 switch too. It also brought up the other website name.

jraff

jraff

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 3:26 AM

Some other info available on the airline site, that I haven't seen discussed here...

WARNING! If you follow the link I'll give, there's some possible SPOILERS ahead. But everything I'll write will be spoiler-free though, so you can read ahead.

On the first page of http://www.oceanic-air.com, on the bottom right (where the messages are displayed), is a grey bar, that you can drag, and it's an hidden image that partially reveals itself as you drag. (If you don't mind about spoilers, you can see it without having to drag by directly going there.

It's a picture of a page from the script from Exodus part 2 - except that nothing described on it actually happened in the episode; so either it's just a blatant fake to fool spoiler-holics, or the script changed since it's March printing date.

Anyway. Without giving any details, let me just say that there's a rather thorough description of Lostzilla on this image (because a character was seeing it, on screen, in this version of the script), with a handwritten note next to the description going "No! No! No! Not (lostzilla)! NOT YET!"

So, I really wonder if TPTB would give away this information "that easily", ie, barely hidden on the front page of an official site, or if they simply faked it altogether - they did some outright fakes before, like "Actor X is gonna be a regular" and then kill him, so I don't doubt they could do it. But, the description they give of Lostzilla... makes a lot of sense, actually. Now I hope it's true information, because it opens up new possibilities!