The Old Dancing With the Stars Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

18654 replies to this topic

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 2:20 PM

Okay, so I see a thread for the Aussie version of this show, but not one for the upcoming U.S. version that starts on Wednesday, June 1st at 9 PM EST/8 PM CST. Hope this is okay to start a new thread.

They've been promoting the hell out of this show, especially during the season finales of Lost and Alias last night. And I must say, it looks deliciously craptastic. ABC has the official website for the show up here. I am unnaturally excited to see Joey McIntyre get his dancing groove on for this show.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 2:42 PM

I know! I had no intention of watching it but then I saw the commercials with Joey in them and thought: Oh crap! Now I have to watch!

Here's hoping for many people falling on their asses!

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 3:39 PM

Oh, dear. Trista (Rehn) Sutter really doesn't look so good in the picture. She needs to lighten her hair again.

mariposa

mariposa

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 3:38 PM

Triscuit is one of the "celebrities." I love that they list her occupation as "reality star" - it's funny 'cause it's true.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 5:37 PM

I love John O'Hurley, and everyone else is stone cold crapsicle on a stick. So I'm committed to the first ep and I'll decide from there. Could be fun even if I don't trust the network to make it so for all it's worth.

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 5:56 PM

I don't know whether to feel superior because the Australian version had 10 "celebrities" or insecure because, although I've only heard of 4 of yours, you wouldn't have heard of any of ours.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 6:59 PM

The OZ version has been a massive hit, to the point that they're starting to cast for a 3rd series, with the retiring Miss Universe Hawko as a contestant.

Expect the craptastic to remain in week after week, because it's only 50% a dancing competition. Popularity with the audience makes up the other 50%, so your dancing could be arse but you'll be there week after week. Which means if Trista can't dance, you'd hope she'd be out after Wk1 because surely you guys have seen enough of her on your TV's now.

Expect bitchiness between female contestants. Expect good snarky fun.

Two of our contestants you MAY have heard of. The pillock who played Colin on DOOL who everyone hated, and if you remember the Sydney Olympics opening ceremony, there was a little girl who was central to the performace who flew through the air and wore a pink dress. Well she grew up and was snarktacular.

Oh, and there was the chick who is now engaged to Lleyton Hewitt.

But who is hosting and sidekicking on your version?

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 11:12 PM

If you are feeling slightly sceptical about this show, I strongly suggest that you give it a go. If its anything like the Aussie version, its an hour of turn-off-your-brain hilarious TV viewing.

Heres to hoping you too have a dancing dromedary.

ETA: You learn something every day. He owns a dancing studio?

Edited by cavalier196, May 26, 2005 @ 11:15 PM.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2005 @ 1:11 AM

Dancing With the Stars: Because everyone needs to see Trista Rehn on her fourth TV show. Geez, what a famewhore.

jlco123

jlco123

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2005 @ 9:09 AM

Dancing With the Stars: Because everyone needs to see Trista Rehn on her fourth TV show. Geez, what a famewhore.

She must get to spend a lot of quality time with her husband since she spends all her time trying to figure out new ways to get back on television. I will be crossing my fingers that she falls on her butt on the first show and get heckled by the audience.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2005 @ 10:08 AM

If Evander wins, maybe he can do a combined fight/dance off with one of the guys from The Contender.

Celina

Celina

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2005 @ 10:27 AM

I'm one of the rare Trista likers 'round these parts, so I think I'm going to greatly enjoy this show.

And Ryan, if you're bored while Trista's away, call me, mkay?

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2005 @ 3:28 PM

Damn, so much crappy reality this summer. I can hardly contain my joy!

depthfunction

depthfunction

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2005 @ 8:56 PM

Uh . . . <yawn>?

Actually, I predict this will be one of the biggest hits of the summer, but the very idea of a dancing show--even one with plenty to snark about--just absolutely bores the hell out of me.

What I don't like about this show is the pairing of professional dancers with "celebrities". What, aren't ordinary people beautiful enough or talented enough to dance too? I guess I needn't worry: if this show is a big hit, every other network will clone it and surely some of those clones will have ordinary folks in them.

CloudyGumdrops

CloudyGumdrops

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2005 @ 9:04 PM

I'm looking forward ot this show as I really like DanceSport. I think I'll be rooting for Kelly Monaco or Joey McIntyre.

jazmyne

jazmyne

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2005 @ 10:25 PM

Ditto! I love dance of any kind, but my university was big into DanceSport, and my greatest disappointment was being too tall to try out for the team. I love watching dance competitions as well as reality tv, so the combination makes me a happy happy girl.

deimos

deimos

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2005 @ 12:35 AM

I love watching people dance and this show looks deliciously (and unconciously) campy, so I'm there for the first episode at least. While I recognize Evander Holyfield, and that guy with the eyebrows looks familiar, for the most part I haven't the slightest idea who these people are. This whole show looks like an accident waiting to happen, but who knows?

woopwoopkitty

woopwoopkitty

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2005 @ 6:38 PM

I love watching people dance and this show looks deliciously (and unconciously) campy

Count me in!

Francie

Francie

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2005 @ 7:19 PM

I wonder if they will air this in Australia considering the hit our version was? And we do know most of the stars.

riding the ho train

riding the ho train

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2005 @ 8:57 PM

So hoping Joey wins. Can't help it, I'm such an NKOTB fangirl.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 11:55 AM

Hee! Same here. Just seeing him dance in the commercials is bringing back memories of NKOTB's Wildest Dreams special.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2005 @ 7:44 PM

Every time I see Evander Holyfield in a promo, I think about how he lost part of his ear because it was savagely eaten by Mike Tyson in that boxing match.

I bet that Seinfeld dude with the eyebrows is a pretty good dancer.

andeely

andeely

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, books, movies...and yes, my reality is totally fictional ;)

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 2:18 PM

I am unnaturally excited to see Joey McIntyre get his dancing groove on for this show.

So hoping Joey wins. Can't help it, I'm such an NKOTB fangirl.

Me too, me too! I can't wait to watch him shake his NKOTB fanny! Or since this is actual dancing perhaps sashay is the better word.

woopwoopkitty

woopwoopkitty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 12:55 AM

I bet that Seinfeld dude with the eyebrows is a pretty good dancer.

I don't know if he can dance but he looks great in the tux.

radiochik

radiochik

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 6:49 AM

I've been so excited for this show since I first heard about it. My former roommate and I had our guilty pleasure of watching ballroom dancing competitions on cable whenever we could find them. (That and cheerleading competitions on ESPN!) So we were psyched when we heard about this. I admit I was a bit disappointed when I heard it was going to be a celeb-reality show but I realize that it probably wouldn't get much of an audience without the celebs.

So I'll take what I can get. But hopefully this doesn't suck.

pinhead

pinhead

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 7:33 AM

My bet is on Evander to take it all! Man is light on his feet. And if he gets voted off, he can beat the shit out everyone.

Must See TV!

becca656

becca656

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 7:58 AM

Just because it's something different and has nothing to do with being 'ripped from the headlines', I think I'll be there.

Different is a good thing.

Maybelline

Maybelline

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 8:09 AM

God, this show looks so cheesy! But I am a big fat ballroom dancing nerd, so I will be glued to my tv set. And now that Survivor, Amazing Race, and the Apprentice are gone, what else am I going to watch?

Edited by Maybelline, Jun 1, 2005 @ 8:14 AM.

Svenska Flicka

Svenska Flicka

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 11:27 AM

Oh, I'm in on this one!!! Hee!!! Looks fantastically cheesy...in the spirit of Strictly Ballroom! Can't wait...

Although, really, Rob Mariano should be on this show. Anyone who watched The Wedding knows how much rhythm he's got & how much he loves to dance! Then TPTB could have called the show "Dancing with the Stahs".

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2005 @ 1:29 PM

God, this show looks so cheesy! But I am a big fat ballroom dancing nerd, so I will be glued to my tv set. And now that Survivor, Amazing Race, and the Apprentice are gone, what else am I going to watch?

I too, am a big fat ballroom dancing nerd. Mr Pixel and I have taken lessons for years. Of course I've got this on season pass on the Tivo.