Old So You Think You Can Dance Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

17561 replies to this topic

Cherry Delight

Cherry Delight

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 4:41 PM

I'm not sure if this show is going to be a hit. "Dance Fever" tried to make a comeback and it didn't work.

Here's the press release from Fox:

On Wednesdays, FOX teams up this summer with the creators of AMERICAN IDOL and the producers of the "American Music Awards" and "American Bandstand" on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, the ultimate search for the nation's best dancer. Beginning with the two-hour series premiere on Wednesday, July 20 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), the best undiscovered dancing talent the U.S. has to offer will be pitted against each other in a grueling 12-week competition to become America's No. 1 dancer. If you think the AMERICAN IDOL competition is tough, you haven't seen anything yet! Some contestants will collapse under the pressure, others will reveal their two left feet and one will dance his or her way into America's heart. Sure to spark a dance fever the way AMERICAN IDOL has created a competitive singing phenomenon, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE premieres in its regular time period Wednesday, July 27 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT).

billiebutton

billiebutton

Channel Surfer

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 1:53 PM

i'm excited to see this show. It will be interesting to see how it works though. I wonder what kind of dancers they're looking for. It''s not really fare to have say a breakdancer compete against a tap dancer. They're totally different styles and use completely different technique. I wonder if they'll do freestyle, battles, teach choreography, get them to choreograph something, or how exactly it's going to work. I also wonder what the prize is going to be and who the judges will be. That would be sweet if Tina Langdon was one of the judges.

Edited by billiebutton, May 26, 2005 @ 1:56 PM.

Pomone

Pomone

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 3:19 PM

I'm just curious about the potential prize for this show...I mean, what comes after being America's Number One Dancer? Getting laid? Getting a shitty back up spot on some tour? I really don't know. I'd ask for money.

kcappy

kcappy

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 4:30 PM

Does anyone know the celebs who are participating in this show?

billiebutton

billiebutton

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 3, 2005 @ 3:52 AM

I think it would make sense if Paula did this show. As I said before I'd love to see Tina Langdon. I also think Fatima would be cool too. Didn't Debby Allen do some dance reality show a few years ago? Maybe they'll get her too.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jun 3, 2005 @ 4:19 AM

Debbie Allen did a show called Fame. My favorite part of that show was the opening episode where all the dancers had to introduce themselves to the tune of "Work." Still cracks me up just thinking about it.

I, too, am curious about what style of dance they will be looking for on SYTYCD. I really hope they don't have the participants choreograph anything as part of the competition because being a dancer is not the same thing as being a choreographer. Similarly, it bothers me when participants in singing competitions are forced to "write" a "song." They're singers, not composers! Anyway, it will be interesting to see exactly what these dancers will be subjected to! If they get Tina Landon to be a judge, I hope they bring up those MTV Grind workout videos she did in the 90s in her credits - hee!

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Jun 3, 2005 @ 9:19 AM

My favorite part of that show was the opening episode where all the dancers had to introduce themselves to the tune of "Work."

Sadly, that was really the only good part of the show.

As for "SYTYCD?," I'm so there. I'm a sucker for any kind of dance competition, as my watching of The Wade Robson Project and Dance 360 will attest.

TwinkieChica

TwinkieChica

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 26, 2005 @ 4:55 PM

They just had the auditions for this show a little while ago (a month or two?) so it surprised me that it's already going to air. I'm really excited to see it, since I'm a dancer, but I have no clue how they can put pointe, tap, and breakdancing all in the same show.

ziglettospal

ziglettospal

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2005 @ 2:46 PM

This show will start airing on Wednesday, July 20th, at 8pm on Fox. Check local listings. Now I have something to watch on Wednesday nights now that "Dancing with the Stars" is over.

Originally I heard that they weren't going to take dancesport (competitive ballroom) couples, but I'm guessing that the success of "Dancing with the Stars" changed that because I know that one couple who auditioned and were called back.

Nite System

Nite System

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2005 @ 3:31 PM

Count me in for watching this show. It sounds quite amusing. I love the dance competitions ... anyone remember the Wade Robson Project on MTV a couple of years back? I was pretty much into that for a time.

Musicalsahoy

Musicalsahoy

Posted Jul 10, 2005 @ 4:29 PM

I remember that show Nite and I wasn't too into it. I really like dance but I am not all for the hip hop type of dancing and WRP had a lot of that. I am hoping that this show will bring many kinds of dance to the forefront. I have heard that one of the judges for the show is quite nasty(ala Simon Cowell) it's a female judge.

AwNutz

AwNutz

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2005 @ 5:22 PM

If I understood the commercials correctly (and it's entirely possible that I didn't), then once the dancers are chosen, they're paired up for the competition. It looks to be more ballroom-esque than mish-mosh of all styles.

I must admit I'm rather intrigued....

HillMama

HillMama

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2005 @ 9:23 PM

ziglettospal mentioned this in the DWTS thread:

Originally I heard that they weren't going to take dancesport (competitive ballroom) couples, but I'm guessing that the success of "Dancing with the Stars" changed that because I know one couple who auditioned and were called back. They're one of the top amateur Latin couples in the US, and the man is HOT with a capital "HOT." Some people think he's the hottest guy on the floor in the US, so if they show up on the air there will be plenty of opportunity for squeee-ing with delight.

Enquiring minds and all that...is there any linkage to this hotness?

If I understood the commercials correctly (and it's entirely possible that I didn't), then once the dancers are chosen, they're paired up for the competition. It looks to be more ballroom-esque than mish-mosh of all styles.

I haven't seen any ads yet, but if it's more ballroom I may swoon with delight. I'm a sucker for dance shows. I even watched the awful Wade Robson Project (hangs head in shame). After my personal lovefest with DWTS I would be over the moon to see another show with ballroom. Also, I don't think I can take any more K-Fed type dancer/wannabe/wish-I-was/I'll-just-marry-one star seekers after subjecting myself to a few episodes of the trash that was Britney&Kevin:Chaotic. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me reach for the brain bleach. If it's a free for all, any dance style competition I would think it would be hard to compare and eliminate. I guess we'll just have to wait until we get more info.

majjie pie

majjie pie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2005 @ 9:24 PM

So does this work exactly like Idol, with the judges, etc. From what I understand, they are going to be showing the auditions (including the bad ones, ala Idol). I must admit, I am very intrigued. But I too wonder exactly what the winner (winners if they go DWTS route?) will win. Its not exactly like they can get a recording contract or anything. Will they be backup dancers? I just don't get it.

Have they announced who will judge/host? I heard rumors that Paula was hosting (blech, btw). I see enough of that druggie from January-May to get my Abdul fill for the year.

zigletto

zigletto

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2005 @ 10:23 PM

ziglettospal mentioned this in the DWTS thread:
Originally I heard that they weren't going to take dancesport (competitive ballroom) couples, but I'm guessing that the success of "Dancing with the Stars" changed that because I know one couple who auditioned and were called back. They're one of the top amateur Latin couples in the US, and the man is HOT with a capital "HOT." Some people think he's the hottest guy on the floor in the US, so if they show up on the air there will be plenty of opportunity for squeee-ing with delight.

For enquiring minds, the couple in question is extremely good, (were selected to represent the US at the world latin championship) but they cut the female partner in the "hollywood" rounds, to borrow AI parlance. She's got tons of dance training in every conceiveable style; he's only trained in ballroom. But he's extremely tantalizing, has an amazing body, and is a sweetheart to boot (Alec Mazo pales in comparision). This could be very interesting....

HillMama

HillMama

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 9:44 AM

But he's extremely tantalizing, has an amazing body, and is a sweetheart to boot (Alec Mazo pales in comparision). This could be very interesting....

Now I know I will be watching in breathless anticipation. I still don't understand how this program is going to work, but I'll be there. Okay, to be honest, even without the promise of hot I would be there. I'm a sucker for reality tv. Add in the dance element and I am there.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 9:49 AM

So it's going to be like American Idol? Where each week you have to perform a required style of dance? I don't really care to tune in to see krunk and hip hop dancing. The dance parts of "Fame" were the worst parts. Not sure if I will tune in. I have so much other TV and DVDs to catch up on!

Teagan

Teagan

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 1:29 PM

So it's going to be like American Idol? Where each week you have to perform a required style of dance? I don't really care to tune in to see krunk and hip hop dancing. The dance parts of "Fame" were the worst parts. Not sure if I will tune in. I have so much other TV and DVDs to catch up on!

The commercial I saw said that they had to learn a new type of dance every week. I hope I heard it correctly because I want to see them try to do a variety of dances.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 1:38 PM

Then it does sound like it's going to be a clone of American Idol, only with dance. No doubt the show will start with auditions, and showcase bad dancing from people who think they can dance. Then a whittling down to some finalists. Then just like on AI, there is a "theme" for each week. They have some latitude as to song choice but it has to fit within the week's pattern.

I'm sure it will also come complete with one judge who is a complete grumpnoid who complains about everything, one judge who pretty much compliments everyone, and one judge who is somewhere in between.

Yeah, count me out. I know it's by the same people who produce AI, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

metsmvfn

metsmvfn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2005 @ 3:48 PM

Someone upthread asked who the host of this show was well here is the info on the person who was chosen.

http://www.fox11.com...eam/sanchez.asp

Her claim to fame is that she is the local anchorwoman for the 11pm news on UPN.She host the news in short skirts and tight and low cut sweater or shirts. She is also engaged to some bigwig Hollywood Agent,forgot his name but his biggest client is Ben Affleck.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2005 @ 1:51 PM

Pomone: I'm just curious about the potential prize for this show...I mean, what comes after being America's Number One Dancer? Getting laid? Getting a shitty back up spot on some tour? I really don't know. I'd ask for money.

BWAH! I thought the same thing when I read the press release.

I'll probably watch at least the first few episodes. I can dance but not as well as I would like so I'd be watching for the "educational" aspect. If it is anything like AI, I will definitely only watch the episodes where they show the worse batch of auditioners. After that, I can't stand AI.

astaire

astaire

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 1:21 AM

I'm skeptical of this show and will be skipping the first episode. It has the potential to be good but, I have a feeling I will be disappointed.

A group of finalists are sent to Hollywood where they perform before a rotating group of choreographers who act as judges. Viewers can vote for their favorites, just like "Idol."

The prize is $100,000 and a career-launching year living in a New York City apartment just steps from Broadway.

FOX Asks Dancers to Prove They Can Move

ziglettospal

ziglettospal

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 10:31 AM

I figure I've got nothing else going on on Wednesday nights (well, except for dance practice, but that's what I've got TiVo for) so why not watch :-)

I adore tap dancing so I hope some tappers got through. I guess I'll see tonight!

MandolinViola

MandolinViola

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 10:35 AM

Well, it looks like Paula will be on the show, but she won't have a very significant role.

I'm really looking forward to this. I am always impressed by dancers who can just pick up audition routines and make it look like they've been practicing them for years. (I was bad at learning choreography quickly back when I danced, so maybe that's why it impresses me so.)

ETA - astaire, that article you linked to says Nigel Lythgoe used to be a choreographer! The things you learn.

Edited by MandolinViola, Jul 20, 2005 @ 10:39 AM.

triggerhappyjack

triggerhappyjack

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 9:02 PM

I was surprised by how much I like this. It wasn't as mean spirited (not that mean spirited isn't fun in moderation), the judges were constructive in their criticism, it was fun watching the dancers.

Yay, decent show!

AgeofAquarian

AgeofAquarian

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 9:04 PM

I watched this tonight and really liked it. Some of these dancers were pretty frickin' great. L.A. oughta be a hoot.

Nite System

Nite System

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 9:05 PM

I think this is a decent show. I liked that they didn't focus so much on showing the crappy dancers. The crappy singers in the auditions get real old REAL fast on American Idol.

The only problem I have is with the host. She's really boring and doesn't do the show any favors.

EyelinerCrush

EyelinerCrush

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 9:09 PM

Is it good to look like a younger version of Janice Dickinson? Like, the younger version of the plastic surgery-version, not the actual younger version. (re: the host)

Apparently to be a good dancer, it's helpful if you're also cute and blonde.

The choreographer was really pretty. It's kinda like watching C-SPAN (yes, I know I just compared this show to C-SPAN) where you always see the young, good-looking aide hovering in the background while some elderly gent gives his speech.

And if it doesn't work out for the cross-eyed girl from PA, she has a great future as a double for Mandy Moore.

LMiller

LMiller

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 9:09 PM

I liked it too.

I was surprised to see the judge from Dancing with the Stars as the choreographer. I didn't know she was involved in this show. I liked seeing her do some actual dancing.

The only thing I hated is how they kept giving face time to the arrogant ass who spinned on his head.
You know he was just doing it just for that reason and it worked.
At least he was cut.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 9:11 PM

Carrie Ann has officially become the second most famous Fly Girl. 3 reality shows in 6 months, woooo.

I had the same complaint with this show that I have with AI, too much talking. I don't need all the lead up, show the dancing. I also didn't like Nigel's quips in Manhattan "If I wanted to see a lot of spins I would look at my wife's tumble dryer" because they seemed forced.